The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Charlie 25–Melanoma Zero

Forums General Melanoma Community Charlie 25–Melanoma Zero

Participant

25 years, a quarter of a century, two and a half decades, six years shy of half of my life, I have had melanoma( suffered from, my doc likes to tell his interns)  Stage III unknown primary in 1987, BIG surgery and then melanoma lay in wait nine years until  1996 when the diagnosis became Stage IV..  

25 years, a quarter of a century, two and a half decades, six years shy of half of my life, I have had melanoma( suffered from, my doc likes to tell his interns)  Stage III unknown primary in 1987, BIG surgery and then melanoma lay in wait nine years until  1996 when the diagnosis became Stage IV..  

Seven recurrences , fourteen surgeries, Well over two hundred infusions of different drugs, cumulative medical bills over the years surpassing three milllion dollars, one pharmacy bill alone of one hundred and eighty six THOUSAND dollars. Have had it seems, every complcation and side effect of surgery and treatment known to man. Hired doctors and fired more.  Married, divorced,, launched four startups, returned to college, made lots of money, lost lots money, my girlfriend took her last breath as she died in my arms due to complications of melanoma;; even was desperately close to being homeless.

I have made friends and lost friends, learned what love truly is and encountered enemies

And here I stand before you with the score at 25 for me melanoma.  Yes, you melanoma have won some battles and wounded me deeply to my core, but in the war that that has been before me  with you. the score is still Charlie 25/Melanoma Zero. and I am ahead.

Numerous times in the past I have encouraged you to give me your best shot and you certainly have, but the overall score is mine to own.

To others new and old, my story is not unique.  People do survive.  Yes the treatments and surgeries can be harsh, the decision to choose which one can be paralyzing.  And yes, sadly, some people do not survive.  Since none of us are getting out of here alive anyway; make your choices wisely.

There is no silver bullet I can say to any of you.  However I would urge people to try (hard as it may be) to make medical decisions based upon science and not emotion.  As an example,I read somewhere here that diet change alone would be better than interferon.  That statement is not supported by science, but is appealing for emotional reasons

Something else is the statistical numbers game.  Do not get caught up in it.   In 1987, there was not an AJCC a "chart" to show my odds; in 1996 there was and it was 2% five year survival for me.  Not.

For all I know, and for all I have seen, at the very best , any treatment for advanced melanoma is 20% success.  That is our lot.  

I do know however many people where surgery alone did it and they are alive, same with chemo, same with bio-chem, same with interferon, same with GMCSF, same with IL2, same with yervoy, same with Zelboraf, same with AVastin.  I also know an equal amount of people that no matter what treatment, died.

Yes, clinical trials are scientific experiments that use human beings as test subjects; but without participation, no new treatments will become available.

For me, I have been lucky that melanoma has became a disease of management; not easy mind you, but it IS possible.

For all of you, please know that it is possible.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 65 reply threads
    • Replies
        DebbieH
        Participant

Ah – THERE you are!  I hate it when you disappear for a while!

Congratulations Charlie on staying ahead in your extremely long battle!  You always give hope to newcomers here who are desperate for some good news.  I will never forget how you left your clothes behind on one visit, on the exam table, all laid out, and wish I could have seen their faces when they realized you were gone!

We need to add BCG to your list as I know a woman who was stage IV in the late 1970's and that's all they had to offer her.  Mets all over the place and she was about 24.  She did the BCG and had tons of surgeries to remove the subq's that kept coming back but then they stopped coming back and I just saw her at a wedding last November and she's stil fine.  You just never know – just good luck and bad and keep on trying.   I'm so happy to see your post, certainly to see you're still going strong, but it also reminds me of the good times here and all the laughing we used to do in chat with you as our bartender! 

Deb

DebbieH
          Participant

Congratulations Charlie on staying ahead in your extremely long battle!  You always give hope to newcomers here who are desperate for some good news.  I will never forget how you left your clothes behind on one visit, on the exam table, all laid out, and wish I could have seen their faces when they realized you were gone!

We need to add BCG to your list as I know a woman who was stage IV in the late 1970's and that's all they had to offer her.  Mets all over the place and she was about 24.  She did the BCG and had tons of surgeries to remove the subq's that kept coming back but then they stopped coming back and I just saw her at a wedding last November and she's stil fine.  You just never know – just good luck and bad and keep on trying.   I'm so happy to see your post, certainly to see you're still going strong, but it also reminds me of the good times here and all the laughing we used to do in chat with you as our bartender! 

Deb

DebbieH
            Participant

Deb

hope4cure1
              Participant

All I can say is awesome, and thank you so much for being a strength and inspiration to everyone here.  I hope you understand your importance and our gratitude.  Keep it up!

Hope

hope4cure1
                Participant

All I can say is awesome, and thank you so much for being a strength and inspiration to everyone here.  I hope you understand your importance and our gratitude.  Keep it up!

Hope

hope4cure1
                  Participant

Hope

Janner
                    Participant

Keep on keepin' on, Charlie.  Nice to see you popping in here to give an update!

Cheers,

Janner

Janner
                      Participant

Keep on keepin' on, Charlie.  Nice to see you popping in here to give an update!

Cheers,

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Cheers,

Janner

lhaley
                          Participant

Charlie,

Great to hear from you with such a good message.  One day I want to grow up just like you, well at least I want to beat mel one more time!!  I've done surgerys, more surgerys and more.  Did a year lukine and a few radiations.  Throw in a crainactomy to get rid of the edema.   This time the radiation ended up into bleeding and has decided to seed out.   So taking my chanced now with my braf card.  There is to much I have to do.

Stay well ,

Linda

lhaley
                            Participant

Charlie,

Great to hear from you with such a good message.  One day I want to grow up just like you, well at least I want to beat mel one more time!!  I've done surgerys, more surgerys and more.  Did a year lukine and a few radiations.  Throw in a crainactomy to get rid of the edema.   This time the radiation ended up into bleeding and has decided to seed out.   So taking my chanced now with my braf card.  There is to much I have to do.

Stay well ,

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

Charlie,

Stay well ,

Linda

awillett1991
                                Participant
                                  Awesome post Charlie!! Thanks so much For putting this out there tonight, been really crappy ( Zel side effects) tonight and you really said the right thing at just the right time for me.

No one ever said this was gonna be easy.

awillett1991
                                  Participant
                                    Awesome post Charlie!! Thanks so much For putting this out there tonight, been really crappy ( Zel side effects) tonight and you really said the right thing at just the right time for me.

awillett1991
                                    Participant

Liz C
                                      Participant

Hi, Charlie.

I'm just back on these boards after 9 years NED and you were my first thought…wondering how to tactfully inquire as to your health.

And here is your wonderful, uplifting and so very wise and well-articulated post.

Thank you so much for all you've done for all of us.

–Liz.

Liz C
                                        Participant

Hi, Charlie.

I'm just back on these boards after 9 years NED and you were my first thought…wondering how to tactfully inquire as to your health.

And here is your wonderful, uplifting and so very wise and well-articulated post.

–Liz.

Liz C
                                          Participant

Hi, Charlie.

–Liz.

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                            Participant

Wow Charlie!  You make me, with only 15 years of living with metastatic disease, seem like a rank amateur.  At this rate I'll never catch up to you!

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                              Participant

Wow Charlie!  You make me, with only 15 years of living with metastatic disease, seem like a rank amateur.  At this rate I'll never catch up to you!

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

aldakota22
                                                  Participant

Thanks Charlie for saying what I feel about this disease .It is not a death sentence but a life changer for many of us.Always in my mind that if you and so many can Live with "M" Why not me also? Keep fighting and never give up.All of us are always in my prayers..Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                                                    Participant

Thanks Charlie for saying what I feel about this disease .It is not a death sentence but a life changer for many of us.Always in my mind that if you and so many can Live with "M" Why not me also? Keep fighting and never give up.All of us are always in my prayers..Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                                                      Participant

Linny
                                                        Participant

Here I am dealing with "scanxiety" issues for my visit to Hopkins on the 21st and along comes your post. It is so great to hear from a 25 year veteran who's alive and kicking some serious butt!!! You and I have much in common: unknown primary and one positive lymph node. The only differences are that mine was in the left axilla and I had the full LND rather than a partial.

Thank you so much for your post, Charlie. God bless you!

Linny
                                                          Participant

Here I am dealing with "scanxiety" issues for my visit to Hopkins on the 21st and along comes your post. It is so great to hear from a 25 year veteran who's alive and kicking some serious butt!!! You and I have much in common: unknown primary and one positive lymph node. The only differences are that mine was in the left axilla and I had the full LND rather than a partial.

Linny
                                                            Participant

KathieG
                                                              Participant

This post made my day – no, it made my year! 

You don't know me but my husband, Bob, was diagnosed in 2005 and lost his battle with the beast in 2010.  He fought hard, and, though I didn't always agree with his decisions, they were HIS decisions and I always remembered the things that you said.  I used to read your posts to him and remind him that some people do win the battle – you are one tough SOB and he loved your no nonsense approach to melanoma.  I hope that you will always remember that you helped so many of us – the silent ones – and that we are always cheering you on.  Thanks for sharing your life and your courage and your attitude with all of us.  Keep up the good fight.

KathieG
                                                                Participant

You don't know me but my husband, Bob, was diagnosed in 2005 and lost his battle with the beast in 2010.  He fought hard, and, though I didn't always agree with his decisions, they were HIS decisions and I always remembered the things that you said.  I used to read your posts to him and remind him that some people do win the battle – you are one tough SOB and he loved your no nonsense approach to melanoma.  I hope that you will always remember that you helped so many of us – the silent ones – and that we are always cheering you on.  Thanks for sharing your life and your courage and your attitude with all of us.  Keep up the good fight.

Laurie from maine
                                                                    Participant

Charlie,

you can see how much everyone appreciated you posting, your sense of humor and history with melaoma offers hope.  This board needed that sense of humor and fight that you show.  There are some real fighters on here going thru tough times right now, I am sure your post heped soo many.  

Thank you for posting

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                                      Participant

Charlie,

you can see how much everyone appreciated you posting, your sense of humor and history with melaoma offers hope.  This board needed that sense of humor and fight that you show.  There are some real fighters on here going thru tough times right now, I am sure your post heped soo many.  

Thank you for posting

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                                        Participant

Charlie,

Thank you for posting

laurie from maine

KathieG
                                                                        Participant

PSD
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Charlie,

What a great, motivating note to all of us who has been touched by this nasty beast. I am pleased to see you post again. And you still have such passion and fight.
                                                                            Although I do not come back to this site often, I do peek from time to time. I think of many of you these past four years. I had a couple scares which lead to a benign biopsy at my WLE in January and several scans and tests for a hypoechoic nodule in February. All is good for now.
                                                                            Thanks for the update, Charlie!
                                                                            Pam D

PSD
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Charlie,

What a great, motivating note to all of us who has been touched by this nasty beast. I am pleased to see you post again. And you still have such passion and fight.
                                                                              Although I do not come back to this site often, I do peek from time to time. I think of many of you these past four years. I had a couple scares which lead to a benign biopsy at my WLE in January and several scans and tests for a hypoechoic nodule in February. All is good for now.
                                                                              Pam D

PSD
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                Charlie,

Pam D

Snickers60
                                                                                  Participant

Whooo hoooo – way to go CHARLIE !   We (3 X warrior Wayne hubby) are back on the board after 13 1/2 years NED after ear lobe removal with mets all over the place (except brain).    March 7, 2012 new diagnosis.  

WOW – 25 – that's so good to hear with us here packing – getting ready for that dreaded PET SCAN on Thursday.  

Warrior Wayne did so well on ZEL (cancer in liver, lungs, sternum, spine, leg/bone) gone in only 7 weeks on ZEL, that we are EXPECTING a GOOD REPORT – but there's this little thing inside you that always just holds its breath, until it's all over and you see the results.   

Thank you for posting !   I'm sure we talked to you back in the day, but it's good to hear this kind of report.

WAY TO GO CHARLIE !    May you get, at least, 25 more !!!!  🙂 

Nancy (devoted wife of  3X Warrior Wayne) 

Snickers60
                                                                                    Participant

Whooo hoooo – way to go CHARLIE !   We (3 X warrior Wayne hubby) are back on the board after 13 1/2 years NED after ear lobe removal with mets all over the place (except brain).    March 7, 2012 new diagnosis.  

WOW – 25 – that's so good to hear with us here packing – getting ready for that dreaded PET SCAN on Thursday.  

Warrior Wayne did so well on ZEL (cancer in liver, lungs, sternum, spine, leg/bone) gone in only 7 weeks on ZEL, that we are EXPECTING a GOOD REPORT – but there's this little thing inside you that always just holds its breath, until it's all over and you see the results.   

Thank you for posting !   I'm sure we talked to you back in the day, but it's good to hear this kind of report.

Snickers60
                                                                                      Participant

BonnieLea
                                                                                      Participant

great to hear your quarter of a century news…. congratulations Mr. Charlie….. may we all aspire to continue on!

BonnieLea
                                                                                        Participant

great to hear your quarter of a century news…. congratulations Mr. Charlie….. may we all aspire to continue on!

BonnieLea
                                                                                          Participant

Eileen L
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Charlie. So good to see your post on the board. Just what I needed at this very moment, a bit of cheer leading, a bit of your unique "kick in the pants" encouragement! You are such a fighter, and you remind me that I can live a full life while I fight the good fight against the beast.  To advocate for what I need, to make the hard decisions, and to keep on fighting.

Lots of love,

Eileen L from San Francisco

Eileen L
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Charlie. So good to see your post on the board. Just what I needed at this very moment, a bit of cheer leading, a bit of your unique "kick in the pants" encouragement! You are such a fighter, and you remind me that I can live a full life while I fight the good fight against the beast.  To advocate for what I need, to make the hard decisions, and to keep on fighting.

Lots of love,

Eileen L
                                                                                                Participant

Lots of love,

Karin L
                                                                                                  Participant

Knock that off Charlie!  Check in once in a while more often as we all miss you here : ).  I know your thrilled with this news, as are we.  WTG.

Karin

Karin L
                                                                                                    Participant

Knock that off Charlie!  Check in once in a while more often as we all miss you here : ).  I know your thrilled with this news, as are we.  WTG.

Karin

Karin L
                                                                                                      Participant

Karin

jag
                                                                                                        Participant

Atta boy Charlie! and congratulations, hope to see you posting in another 25yrs.  Oh wait there hopefully won't be a need for this board, and the melanoma nightmare will be just another manageable disease like diabetes.  So far it looks like you have managed it better, and have written your own great story of survival.  Someday I hope to buy the book.

jag
                                                                                                          Participant

Atta boy Charlie! and congratulations, hope to see you posting in another 25yrs.  Oh wait there hopefully won't be a need for this board, and the melanoma nightmare will be just another manageable disease like diabetes.  So far it looks like you have managed it better, and have written your own great story of survival.  Someday I hope to buy the book.

jag
                                                                                                            Participant

Rocco
                                                                                                              Participant

Hey Charilie,

25 years – show off!  Seriously, thanks for the informative posts and sharing of both opinion and facts over the years.  They were especially helpful to me during the early days of my diagnosis and various treatments.  Now, care to share any advise on how to 'make lots of money' – esp in this economy?

Hang in there!

Rocco – Stage IV since 2005, Ipi Responder since 2009 

Rocco
                                                                                                                Participant

Hey Charilie,

25 years – show off!  Seriously, thanks for the informative posts and sharing of both opinion and facts over the years.  They were especially helpful to me during the early days of my diagnosis and various treatments.  Now, care to share any advise on how to 'make lots of money' – esp in this economy?

Hang in there!

Rocco
                                                                                                                  Participant

Hey Charilie,

Hang in there!

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                                    Participant

Yeah Charlie! You're the man!

Great to hear, giving me goosbumps the whole read!

And giving me genuine hope in times of need!

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Continuous health to you my friend.

🙂

Warmly, Kevin

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                                      Participant

🙂

Warmly, Kevin

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                                        Participant

🙂

Warmly, Kevin

killmel
                                                                                                                          Participant

Charlie,

You are a walking "miracle" to be cancer free after living with the BEAST for 25years.

May the next 25 years bring you health, happiness, and prosperity.

Warm Wishes,

MaryBeth

killmel
                                                                                                                            Participant

Charlie,

You are a walking "miracle" to be cancer free after living with the BEAST for 25years.

Warm Wishes,

MaryBeth

killmel
                                                                                                                              Participant

Charlie,

Warm Wishes,

MaryBeth

Jewel
                                                                                                                                Participant

Charlie,

That is such great news….the power of hope that you give to many is priceless….:-)

The history of your treatments end in 2004, have you had any such treatments since then?

Thanks Charlie,

Jewel

Jewel
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Charlie,

That is such great news….the power of hope that you give to many is priceless….:-)

The history of your treatments end in 2004, have you had any such treatments since then?

Thanks Charlie,

Jewel

Jewel
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Charlie,

Thanks Charlie,

Jewel

sandywebb
                                                                                                                                      Participant

WOW!!!!  Thank you for that post!!!!  Docs are looking at possible lung mets for me and I think trying to take my 5yr.NED title from me. I have been sooooo worried, mad and dusgusted. Seeing your post has made me put on the boxing gloves again and say BRING IT!!!  I have beat you before and I will again!!!!   Again,,THANKS!!!!!!!

sandywebb
                                                                                                                                        Participant

WOW!!!!  Thank you for that post!!!!  Docs are looking at possible lung mets for me and I think trying to take my 5yr.NED title from me. I have been sooooo worried, mad and dusgusted. Seeing your post has made me put on the boxing gloves again and say BRING IT!!!  I have beat you before and I will again!!!!   Again,,THANKS!!!!!!!

sandywebb
                                                                                                                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                            Participant

So very glad to see your post!  I'm slowing down for other resons but still hanging in there against Melanoma.

I will always remember your trying to see me at the Hospital at UVA and the response you provided when they kept telling me  (for over six months) essentially stable".  In 2007 You told me, when I asked how much longer one could stay here like that, that You couldn't say, but that You could say to not count oneself out even if not NED nor even if not stable.

I'm still just trying to follow your advice and learn and "WORK THE PROBLEM".  (ps I still have the same email address.)

Still think yor are "THE MAN"

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                              Participant

So very glad to see your post!  I'm slowing down for other resons but still hanging in there against Melanoma.

I will always remember your trying to see me at the Hospital at UVA and the response you provided when they kept telling me  (for over six months) essentially stable".  In 2007 You told me, when I asked how much longer one could stay here like that, that You couldn't say, but that You could say to not count oneself out even if not NED nor even if not stable.

I'm still just trying to follow your advice and learn and "WORK THE PROBLEM".  (ps I still have the same email address.)

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                Participant

NancyGM
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I really like the disease of management concept, Charlie….congrats on your 25 years!! I will be 5 years NED by January (knock on wood) and even if I'm not, I have learned hope is all we really have and that all we really can do is to get up in the morning and deal with that one day ahead of us…

.I am awaiting the final appeal decision from Social Security Disability. The last hearing was almost 3 months ago. I had a good lawyer, did my homework and felt prepared…. I am in school again and grateful for the kind of inspiration you have provided to get on with living. Thanks, Charlie!

NancyGM
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

I really like the disease of management concept, Charlie….congrats on your 25 years!! I will be 5 years NED by January (knock on wood) and even if I'm not, I have learned hope is all we really have and that all we really can do is to get up in the morning and deal with that one day ahead of us…

.I am awaiting the final appeal decision from Social Security Disability. The last hearing was almost 3 months ago. I had a good lawyer, did my homework and felt prepared…. I am in school again and grateful for the kind of inspiration you have provided to get on with living. Thanks, Charlie!

NancyGM
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 65 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics