The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pet Scan

Forums Pet Scan

Participant
      I had a melanoma surgically removed from the back of my neck about two years ago. Biopsy indicated 0.2 mm, Clark Level 2. Check up every six months. Last checkup, my dermatologist wanted to do a pet scan. I questioned it based on other opinions on the internet. Primary physician was not sure. So about a week later, I went to a different dermatologist and they did another full body exam. They did a biopsy on two spots on my back that were questionable. Turns out, one was melanoma. Again, about the same level as the one on my neck. It had been there for at least two years. I could not believe the first doctor missed it. Today, I go in for consultation with the oncologist. I am just trying to decide on the necessity of the pet scan.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        tkoss
        Participant
          as told to me last week by onc, PET scan looks at metabolizing cells, that is melanoma cells multiplying and dividing. CT scan looks at the mass.
          CT is basically a glorifed x-ray. if the tumor is too small it may not reveal itself on a CT scan but PET might.

why the hesitancy to get scanned?

dparker
            Participant
              Necessity? Radiation?
            gopher38
            Participant
              One hesitancy might be the cost. I had my first PET scan, which ran ~$9K, initially denied by insurance. I think basically they were saying that it was out of order. That the order should have been melanoma found, WLE/sentinel biopsy, and then – if positive – a PET scan. Well, that is how my treatment went, and I was eventually after MUCH work able to get the denial overturned, but I think they might not have paid if the PET was done before the sentinel biopsy. Anyway, I’d check with insurance beforehand.
                dparker
                Participant
                  Going to the oncologist today. I think I might find out if insurance will pay for it or if the oncologist really thinks i need a pet scan.
                  tkoss
                  Participant
                    my PETscan was in conjunction with SLNB. it was never a question.
                    tkoss
                    Participant
                      my PETscan was in conjunction with SLNB. it was never a question.
                    Johnjk04
                    Participant
                      I am a patient (stage IV) at Smilow Cancer Center @ Yale – New Haven Hospital. In my twelve years of treatment and watch, I have ever had a PET scan. They believe that CT scans and brain MRIs provide them with all the information they need.
                        MelMel
                        Participant
                          That makes two of us because I have never had a PET scan in my two plus years dealing with melanoma. My melanoma oncologists both say that they recommend a PET scan if a patient is thinking of going off treatment and still has residual tumors. I guess in that case, they want to see if the remaining tumors are necrotic, etc. I understand that one can get a mini CT scan at the same rime as the PET scan so it maybe beneficial and kill two birds with one stone.
                          Melanie
                        Johnjk04
                        Participant
                          Sorry not ever it’s never. Re radiation: melanoma is a lot more scarier than radiation from the test.
                          dparker
                          Participant
                            Well, after all that worrying, the oncologist said that I do not need a PET Scan. Just keep a close eye on that skin and lymph nodes.
                              MelMel
                              Participant
                                Great news!
                                dparker
                                Participant
                                  Yes, it is. Thanks.
                            Viewing 4 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics