The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NEAD

Participant

As many of my fellow Stage IVers know, I started on ipi/nivo in January 2016 after a somewhat rough 2015.  I had a PET-CT yesterday and am really grateful for the results.  "No evidence of FDG avid malignancy."  There are no sweeter words.  To me, this is "my" functional equivalent of "no evidence of active disease".  I'll never be "NED" because I started with a heavy tumor burden.  CTs will continue to show what is either scar tissue or lesions being held at bay by T-cells.  Of course, this (my stable disease) may be temporary–and I remind myself regularly that this is likely the case.  However, I'll take it for the moment.  As I recently said to someone, in a sense, all of my prayers (related to Stage IV melanoma) have been answered–I've been blessed with the strength to meet this challenge (note: this waxes and wanes on a daily basis depending on the day and circumstances–I'm no pillar of strength) and with a great medical team to help me manage the challenge.  I'm looking forward to experiencing another holiday season with my wife, kids, family and friends, particularly when I've not been promised one.  My heart goes out to those Stage IVers that are struggling with present challenges, including Josh, Paul, Brian and Gary.  I've been there and it sucks.  You do your best to meet the challenge and press on.

Viewing 59 reply threads
    • Replies
        youngann
        Participant

That's very good news, Mat, long may it stay this way for you. Merry Christmas!

Ann

youngann
          Participant

Ann

youngann
            Participant

Ann

BrianP
              Participant

So happy to hear your update Mat.  Congrats.  Needed to hear some good news right now. 

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

So happy to hear your update Mat.  Congrats.  Needed to hear some good news right now. 

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Brian

keepthefaith11
                    Participant
                      So happy to hear Mat. Enjoy you holiday season with your loved ones!

Annie

keepthefaith11
                      Participant

Annie

keepthefaith11
                        Participant

Annie

Bubbles
                          Participant

Oh, Mat!  That is a beautiful Christmas gift to us all.  Enjoy your holiday with your loved ones!  Here's to many more!!! love, c

Bubbles
                            Participant

Oh, Mat!  That is a beautiful Christmas gift to us all.  Enjoy your holiday with your loved ones!  Here's to many more!!! love, c

Bubbles
                              Participant

debwray
                                Participant

Hi Mat,

Thanks for posting some good news. It is helpful to see this from a stage iv patient with liver mets as i have been recently diagnosed stage iv  liver involvement and the prognosis seems extra gloomy..

Bet the waiting for the swcan results was tough- and that your Christmas will be all the sweeter for the good news.

Best Wishes,

Deb

debwray
                                  Participant

Hi Mat,

Thanks for posting some good news. It is helpful to see this from a stage iv patient with liver mets as i have been recently diagnosed stage iv  liver involvement and the prognosis seems extra gloomy..

Bet the waiting for the swcan results was tough- and that your Christmas will be all the sweeter for the good news.

Best Wishes,

Deb

debwray
                                    Participant

Hi Mat,

Best Wishes,

Deb

gregor913
                                      Participant
                                        Thats great news . Especially right before the holidays. Hold your family a little tighter today and praise God. Greg
                                        gregor913
                                        Participant
                                          Thats great news . Especially right before the holidays. Hold your family a little tighter today and praise God. Greg
                                          gregor913
                                          Participant
                                            Polymath
                                            Participant

Hi Mat,

My words just cannot sum up how happy I am for you.  And your words…may I just copy and paste them someday?  Perhaps after my surgery because they sum up my feelings so precisely, I could never say them myself better.  Merriest of Christmas' to you and your family as the gift of life, is the most precious gift one can receive.

Gary

Polymath
                                              Participant

Hi Mat,

My words just cannot sum up how happy I am for you.  And your words…may I just copy and paste them someday?  Perhaps after my surgery because they sum up my feelings so precisely, I could never say them myself better.  Merriest of Christmas' to you and your family as the gift of life, is the most precious gift one can receive.

Gary

Polymath
                                                Participant

Hi Mat,

Gary

Patrisa
                                                  Participant

Mat,

I'm sooo happy for you, enjoy your NEAD status, may it last forever!

Happy holidays!

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                    Participant

Mat,

Happy holidays!

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                      Participant

Mat,

Happy holidays!

Patrisa

jvictoria
                                                        Participant

Merry Christmas for a fellow Stage IV

jvictoria
                                                          Participant

jvictoria
                                                            Participant

_Paul_
                                                              Participant

That is sweet news Mat! You may not consider yourself to be a pillar of strength, but you are one tough cookie. You are also a great example to me of what is possible in the war against this stupid disease, not just the biological struggle, but the mental battle as well.

I hate this disease so much, that it is very distasteful to me to allow it to rob me of the ability to enjoy my time in this universe. But it is a lot easier to just type out some words than to live them day after day, I take strength and encouragement from your posts and it makes it easier for me to try to live up to my goal.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                Participant

That is sweet news Mat! You may not consider yourself to be a pillar of strength, but you are one tough cookie. You are also a great example to me of what is possible in the war against this stupid disease, not just the biological struggle, but the mental battle as well.

I hate this disease so much, that it is very distasteful to me to allow it to rob me of the ability to enjoy my time in this universe. But it is a lot easier to just type out some words than to live them day after day, I take strength and encouragement from your posts and it makes it easier for me to try to live up to my goal.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                  Participant

– Paul

Casitas1
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Keep it up!
                                                                      Casitas1
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Keep it up!
                                                                        Casitas1
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          Keep it up!
                                                                          jennunicorn
                                                                          Participant

What a great Christmas present! 

Cheers to a lifetime of NEAD for you Mat!

Merry Christmas to you and your family,

jennunicorn
                                                                            Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                              Participant

Mamapegela
                                                                                Participant

That is wonderful news.  Thank you for sharing and spreading hope.  

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                                  Participant

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                                    Participant

Peggy

stars
                                                                                      Participant

Fantastic news, friend… thank you for sharing, your words have touched alot of people.

stars
                                                                                        Participant

Fantastic news, friend… thank you for sharing, your words have touched alot of people.

stars
                                                                                          Participant

JoshF
                                                                                            Participant

Mat- this is just great news. I know how hard you've battled so to hear this is uplifting and gives hope to us all especially to me as I'm dealing with a significant tumor burden and been kicked for a good part of 2016. Enjoy your holidays and I pray that this is your new norm that continues…you certainly deserve this NEAD status. So happy for you brother.

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                              Participant

Mat- this is just great news. I know how hard you've battled so to hear this is uplifting and gives hope to us all especially to me as I'm dealing with a significant tumor burden and been kicked for a good part of 2016. Enjoy your holidays and I pray that this is your new norm that continues…you certainly deserve this NEAD status. So happy for you brother.

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                                Participant

Josh

AshleyS
                                                                                                  Participant

Great news, May! Enjoy your family!!!!!

AshleyS
                                                                                                      Participant

Ugh….I obviously meant MAT!

AshleyS
                                                                                                        Participant

AshleyS
                                                                                                          Participant

AshleyS
                                                                                                          Participant

AshleyS
                                                                                                            Participant

Scooby123
                                                                                                              Participant

So pleased for you Matt, enjoy a holiday with your family. Nice to have positive news for us stage IV .

scooby x

Scooby123
                                                                                                                Participant

So pleased for you Matt, enjoy a holiday with your family. Nice to have positive news for us stage IV .

scooby x

Scooby123
                                                                                                                  Participant

scooby x

Jubes
                                                                                                                    Participant

So happy for you Mat!! Hope you have a very happy Xmas. Your family will be over the moon!

Anne-Louise 

Jubes
                                                                                                                      Participant

So happy for you Mat!! Hope you have a very happy Xmas. Your family will be over the moon!

Anne-Louise 

Jubes
                                                                                                                        Participant

Anne-Louise 

Terrified
                                                                                                                          Participant

Pretty new to these boards, but it is nice to see positive news! So glad for you.

Judy

Terrified
                                                                                                                            Participant

Pretty new to these boards, but it is nice to see positive news! So glad for you.

Judy

Terrified
                                                                                                                              Participant

Judy

jenny22
                                                                                                                                Participant

Mat-

Such wonderful news for you and YOUR WHOLE FAMILY.

Enjoy the good news and may it last for a long time to come.

Best,

Jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Mat-

Best,

Jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Mat-

Best,

Jenny

Viewing 59 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics