The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rest in peace Denise Kirley

Forums General Melanoma Community Rest in peace Denise Kirley

Participant
      January 6 2014 at 5:22 am my mom was called home to be an angel. She fought long and hard even in her last days. And now she is finally at peace. I am mad at her doctor because he went to the hospital two weeks earlier because she had a lot of pain in her back. She knew something was wrong and the doctor only did an x ray and said there was nothing there. It was probably just a pulled muscle. Well when she was admitted to the hospital for the last time they did a more invasive ct scan which hey should have done in the first place and found there was a tumor growing into her spine and bone. Thats what was causing so much pain. Would it have made a difference to do radiation on that tumor? I don’t know the cancer was taking over by that point. It was in all of her organs and everywhere. In her last days she still wanted to know; what’s next? What do we do now. At that point there really was no more options. She decided she wanted to donate her boy to science so even after her death she is wanting to fight this horrible stupid cancer. I pray that they can find out as much as possible from her body and maybe find a cure from her.
    Viewing 53 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

I am sorry for your loss. I am very sad too. I feel I must say proper radiation to the bone tumor in the spine might have eventually relieved the pain in that spot. I can say that because that is the first treatment they did for me. The mel cancer is in my spine and other bones. They did pallative radiation to the worse spot in my spine because it was close to my spinal cord that could lead to paralysis they said. However even pallative radiation was rough to go through for me and at the time last June I was a very healthy strong 46 year old man. It took about 8 treatments for my spine to start feeling better so about 10 days with 10 daily treatments total. Also even after all that about 80% of the tumor was still there but it does feel better.

arthurjedi007
          Participant

I am sorry for your loss. I am very sad too. I feel I must say proper radiation to the bone tumor in the spine might have eventually relieved the pain in that spot. I can say that because that is the first treatment they did for me. The mel cancer is in my spine and other bones. They did pallative radiation to the worse spot in my spine because it was close to my spinal cord that could lead to paralysis they said. However even pallative radiation was rough to go through for me and at the time last June I was a very healthy strong 46 year old man. It took about 8 treatments for my spine to start feeling better so about 10 days with 10 daily treatments total. Also even after all that about 80% of the tumor was still there but it does feel better.

arthurjedi007
            Participant

BrianP
              Participant

Heather,

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'm glad your Mom is no longer suffering.  I want you to know she will be an inspiration to me and many others on this site for many years to come.  I'll be making a donation to MRF in her Memory today.  Prayers go out to you and your family.

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

Heather,

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'm glad your Mom is no longer suffering.  I want you to know she will be an inspiration to me and many others on this site for many years to come.  I'll be making a donation to MRF in her Memory today.  Prayers go out to you and your family.

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Heather,

Brian

Linny
                    Participant

I am so sorry for your loss.

Your mom was always the "calm voice of reason" here. She will be missed so very much.

Linny
                      Participant

Your mom was always the "calm voice of reason" here. She will be missed so very much.

Maureen038
                          Participant

Heather,

I am truly sorry for your loss of your beautiful mom. She was and will continue to be an inspiration to many people!! I will never forget her fierce determination and gutsy spirit. Take care.

love&prayers,

Maureen

Maureen038
                            Participant

Heather,

I am truly sorry for your loss of your beautiful mom. She was and will continue to be an inspiration to many people!! I will never forget her fierce determination and gutsy spirit. Take care.

love&prayers,

Maureen

Maureen038
                              Participant

Heather,

love&prayers,

Maureen

Linny
                              Participant

Brendan
                                Participant

Heather,

I am sorry for your loss.  Your mother inspired many of us.

Brendan
                                  Participant

Heather,

Brendan
                                    Participant

Heather,

casagrayson
                                      Participant

Your mother was a blessing to so many people here.  She will never be forgotten.  Sending you and your family gentle hugs at this very difficult time.

Susan

casagrayson
                                        Participant

Your mother was a blessing to so many people here.  She will never be forgotten.  Sending you and your family gentle hugs at this very difficult time.

Susan

casagrayson
                                          Participant

Susan

shanemcdonald99
                                            Participant

I am sorry for your loss.

Peace to you and your famiy .

Thank you for your support here. And thanks to your mom.

Sincerely,

Shane

shanemcdonald99
                                              Participant

Sincerely,

Shane

shanemcdonald99
                                                Participant

Sincerely,

Shane

awillett1991
                                                  Participant

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your mom was a true fighter and an inspiration and helper to many on this board. She will be missed. 

Amy

awillett1991
                                                    Participant

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your mom was a true fighter and an inspiration and helper to many on this board. She will be missed. 

Amy

awillett1991
                                                      Participant

Amy

Jewel
                                                        Participant

Your mother was such a strong person, take comfort in knowing she did it her way Loud & Proud.

Prayers & Hugs to all of you

Jewel

Jewel
                                                          Participant

Your mother was such a strong person, take comfort in knowing she did it her way Loud & Proud.

Jewel

Jewel
                                                            Participant

Jewel

aldakota22
                                                              Participant

So sorry for your loss.Your mom was a real fighter.Know that we now have another angel in heaven much too early due to this beast.    aldakota22

aldakota22
                                                                Participant

So sorry for your loss.Your mom was a real fighter.Know that we now have another angel in heaven much too early due to this beast.    aldakota22

aldakota22
                                                                  Participant

Fen
                                                                    Participant

What sad news.  Your mom was a huge part of this board and touched so many of us.  Keep that in mind in the days ahead –  she did so much good.  You and you family are in my thoughts and prayers.   Fen

Fen
                                                                      Participant

What sad news.  Your mom was a huge part of this board and touched so many of us.  Keep that in mind in the days ahead –  she did so much good.  You and you family are in my thoughts and prayers.   Fen

sofistef
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            So sorry for your loss.She was a fighter .
                                                                            Prayers
                                                                            sofistef
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Prayers
                                                                              sofistef
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                Prayers
                                                                                vivian
                                                                                Participant

My heart goes out to you and your family.  I remember very well your mother's first posts on this board – what a lovely, brave woman she was!  May you all find peace and comfort in your memories.

Lear

vivian
                                                                                  Participant

My heart goes out to you and your family.  I remember very well your mother's first posts on this board – what a lovely, brave woman she was!  May you all find peace and comfort in your memories.

Lear

vivian
                                                                                    Participant

Lear

sofistef
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        Prayers
                                                                                        sofistef
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          Prayers
                                                                                          sofistef
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            Prayers
                                                                                          Fen
                                                                                          Participant

Tina D
                                                                                            Participant

My heart is so sad to hear this news . I am so sorry for you and for your family. I never met your mom in person, but one could see certain amazing things about her through her posts here. She was compassionate even in the midst of her own struggles, and she seemed to have a determined, indominable way about her. She was always looking for the next answer and held up so much hope for everyone.

Prayers for you and the family today. May the memories of this sweet lady, and the legacy she has left live on and bring comfort to you each day.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                              Participant

My heart is so sad to hear this news . I am so sorry for you and for your family. I never met your mom in person, but one could see certain amazing things about her through her posts here. She was compassionate even in the midst of her own struggles, and she seemed to have a determined, indominable way about her. She was always looking for the next answer and held up so much hope for everyone.

Prayers for you and the family today. May the memories of this sweet lady, and the legacy she has left live on and bring comfort to you each day.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                Participant

Tina

POW
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi, Hillary-

I'm sorry for my delayed response. Words failed me yesterday and I needed a little time to digest this sad news.

Thank you for so generously sharing your time and your strength to let us know about Denise. You know how much she meant to us here and how much we will miss her upbeat, positive, supportive posts. They broke the mold when they made your mother.

Please try not to be angry or bitter about the doctor who did an X-ray two weeks before her last hospital admission. I think that every single cancer patient and caregiver can point to an example where some doctor somewhere did something we think was wrong or insufficient. Often, we like to imagine that the final outcome– or at least our loved one's journey– would have been different if this doctor had done things differently. But really, in hindsisght, once melanoma has gained the upper hand there isn't much that will change the final outcome or have much impact on the final journey. That is a very hard thing to accept, but that has been my personal experience.

You have to remember the Hippocratic Oath says, "First, do no harm." Many doctors implement this dictum very seriously. In the case of end-stage cancer, they often agonize over whether or not to recommend difficult, taxing treatments to very ill patients who they think will be harmed more than helped. It is possible that your mother's doctor felt that given how wide-spread her tumors were and how painful it was for her to even move around towards the end, he thought it would be cruel to recommend that she slog back and forth to a radiotherapy center, get poked and prodded and sit in waiting rooms for hours in order to get palliative radiation to her spine. By the time the radiation treatments shrank her tumor enough to relieve her pain, it would probably be too late, anyway. And if the radiation treatments caused nausea and vomiting (which they sometimes do) that would cause her to move her body in such a way as to make her brief remaining time even more miserable. 

Obviously, I don't know what this doctor was thinking. Maybe he thought about all this and exercised his judgement. Maybe he just didn't order a CT scan when he should have. But for your peace of mind, try to remember that radiation treatments to her spine might have done your mother more harm than good and they would not have changed the final outcome, anyway.

Melanoma sucks. Denise was very smart. She insisted upon and got the best treatment available to her and she succeeded in beating the odds for many months beyond the norm. You loved her. You supported her to the best of your ability. And you will benefit from her mothering, her teaching and her inspiring example for the rest of your life. Hold onto those thoughts.

POW
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi, Hillary-

I'm sorry for my delayed response. Words failed me yesterday and I needed a little time to digest this sad news.

Thank you for so generously sharing your time and your strength to let us know about Denise. You know how much she meant to us here and how much we will miss her upbeat, positive, supportive posts. They broke the mold when they made your mother.

Please try not to be angry or bitter about the doctor who did an X-ray two weeks before her last hospital admission. I think that every single cancer patient and caregiver can point to an example where some doctor somewhere did something we think was wrong or insufficient. Often, we like to imagine that the final outcome– or at least our loved one's journey– would have been different if this doctor had done things differently. But really, in hindsisght, once melanoma has gained the upper hand there isn't much that will change the final outcome or have much impact on the final journey. That is a very hard thing to accept, but that has been my personal experience.

You have to remember the Hippocratic Oath says, "First, do no harm." Many doctors implement this dictum very seriously. In the case of end-stage cancer, they often agonize over whether or not to recommend difficult, taxing treatments to very ill patients who they think will be harmed more than helped. It is possible that your mother's doctor felt that given how wide-spread her tumors were and how painful it was for her to even move around towards the end, he thought it would be cruel to recommend that she slog back and forth to a radiotherapy center, get poked and prodded and sit in waiting rooms for hours in order to get palliative radiation to her spine. By the time the radiation treatments shrank her tumor enough to relieve her pain, it would probably be too late, anyway. And if the radiation treatments caused nausea and vomiting (which they sometimes do) that would cause her to move her body in such a way as to make her brief remaining time even more miserable. 

Obviously, I don't know what this doctor was thinking. Maybe he thought about all this and exercised his judgement. Maybe he just didn't order a CT scan when he should have. But for your peace of mind, try to remember that radiation treatments to her spine might have done your mother more harm than good and they would not have changed the final outcome, anyway.

Melanoma sucks. Denise was very smart. She insisted upon and got the best treatment available to her and she succeeded in beating the odds for many months beyond the norm. You loved her. You supported her to the best of your ability. And you will benefit from her mothering, her teaching and her inspiring example for the rest of your life. Hold onto those thoughts.

POW
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi, Hillary-

Owl
                                                                                                        Participant

Dear Family on Denise,

I want you to know that my thaughts are with you these days, I am so sorry for your loss. Denise was a very special person and I admire her strength and her braveness, she really touched my heart. I remember her writing that she doesn't want to leave because there are so many things she wants to do. I think, she has done much more than anyone else in her situation can do. She is reliefed from pain now and I am sure she will take care of her loved ones from wherever she is now. 

All the best, Jenny

Owl
                                                                                                          Participant

Dear Family on Denise,

I want you to know that my thaughts are with you these days, I am so sorry for your loss. Denise was a very special person and I admire her strength and her braveness, she really touched my heart. I remember her writing that she doesn't want to leave because there are so many things she wants to do. I think, she has done much more than anyone else in her situation can do. She is reliefed from pain now and I am sure she will take care of her loved ones from wherever she is now. 

All the best, Jenny

Owl
                                                                                                            Participant

Dear Family on Denise,

All the best, Jenny

Swanee
                                                                                                              Participant

Sadness overwhelms me to learn the news of Denise's passing and our loss as we say good-bye to a lovely lady, who not only fought her own battle with strength and determination, but how she gave so much to so many here, supporting and helping others with their own battle.  Her advice was sound and wise and for all we know may have saved somebody's life here.  Denise was a true inspiration and will be dearly missed but never forgotten!  

One very important thought, I and so many here have learned is, you never look back and you never second guess yourself.  You make the best decision possible, based on your own beliefs and gut instinct and have no regrets.  For there is no way to know  what the outcome would be, had we done the other, there is no right or wrong choices.  I've followed many patients here who had melanoma in their spine and were treated with radiation and it did not change their outcome, eventually losing their battle with melanoma. 

May the love you shared with your Mom and the time you spent loving and caring for her, be your gentle healer in the days and months to come. Her heartbeat will continue on, in all of us, as we engage with renewed strength, in honor of  our friend Denise.

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                                                Participant

Sadness overwhelms me to learn the news of Denise's passing and our loss as we say good-bye to a lovely lady, who not only fought her own battle with strength and determination, but how she gave so much to so many here, supporting and helping others with their own battle.  Her advice was sound and wise and for all we know may have saved somebody's life here.  Denise was a true inspiration and will be dearly missed but never forgotten!  

One very important thought, I and so many here have learned is, you never look back and you never second guess yourself.  You make the best decision possible, based on your own beliefs and gut instinct and have no regrets.  For there is no way to know  what the outcome would be, had we done the other, there is no right or wrong choices.  I've followed many patients here who had melanoma in their spine and were treated with radiation and it did not change their outcome, eventually losing their battle with melanoma. 

May the love you shared with your Mom and the time you spent loving and caring for her, be your gentle healer in the days and months to come. Her heartbeat will continue on, in all of us, as we engage with renewed strength, in honor of  our friend Denise.

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                                                  Participant

Swanee

UrsulaZ
                                                                                                                    Participant

Heather,

I remember your mother's clear, supportive, kind voice very well. She helped many of us.

Strength and peace to you.

Heather, I also want to thank you for taking the time to give the community the updates that you have lately. It is frightening when one of us just 'disappears', and even when the news is so hard, I am grateful to know what has happened. I'm sure your mom would have appreciated the time you took to do that.  

Ursula

UrsulaZ
                                                                                                                      Participant

Heather,

I remember your mother's clear, supportive, kind voice very well. She helped many of us.

Heather, I also want to thank you for taking the time to give the community the updates that you have lately. It is frightening when one of us just 'disappears', and even when the news is so hard, I am grateful to know what has happened. I'm sure your mom would have appreciated the time you took to do that.  

Ursula

UrsulaZ
                                                                                                                        Participant

Heather,

Ursula

MichaelFL
                                                                                                                          Participant

May she rest in peace free of pain. My condolences to you and the rest of the family.

How admirable that she is donating her body to melanoma research. I hope that everything goes smoothly so this can be accomplished.

By doing this, may Denise be the one that puts and end to this horrible beast.

MichaelFL
                                                                                                                            Participant

May she rest in peace free of pain. My condolences to you and the rest of the family.

How admirable that she is donating her body to melanoma research. I hope that everything goes smoothly so this can be accomplished.

MichaelFL
                                                                                                                              Participant

GAngel
                                                                                                                                Participant

Dear Heather,

I am deeply saddened to hear about your mom's passing. She was a shining light of hope and inspiration to many people on this forum and fought like a true warrior until the very end. I am comforted knowing that she is now resting in peace in the loving arms of our Heavenly Father!  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your mom loved you all so much… she fought so hard so that she could be here for her family. Now she is an angel watching over you until the day that you are reunited.

God bless you sweetie.

Love,

Gina 

GAngel
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Dear Heather,

I am deeply saddened to hear about your mom's passing. She was a shining light of hope and inspiration to many people on this forum and fought like a true warrior until the very end. I am comforted knowing that she is now resting in peace in the loving arms of our Heavenly Father!  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your mom loved you all so much… she fought so hard so that she could be here for her family. Now she is an angel watching over you until the day that you are reunited.

God bless you sweetie.

Love,

Gina 

GAngel
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Dear Heather,

God bless you sweetie.

Love,

Gina 

WendyD.
                                                                                                                                        Participant

I am so sorry about your mother. :'( May God give you and your family peace and strength in your time of heartache and grief. 

WendyD.
                                                                                                                                          Participant

I am so sorry about your mother. :'( May God give you and your family peace and strength in your time of heartache and grief. 

WendyD.
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Janet Lee
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Heather,

I would like to add my voice (and my bell-ringing!) to all those who have posted such beautiful comments and memories here about your mother. I, too, was one of her "fans" from the first time I "met" her on this Bulletin Board.

I have followed Denise's posts since I first came to this sight a little less than a year ago when my husband was diagnosed. Much of her journey has mirror my husband's, which can be comforting to us here struggling with melanoma. I learned much from her, most importantly her tenacity, her hope, her always thinking, "Ok, what's next?" I'm not surprisd to hear that she was still saying this up until her passing.

She has left you a beautiful, loving, strong legacy. How lucky you are for that. Please know that our hearts here truly are aching for you and for Denise.

Janet Lee

Janet Lee
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Heather,

I would like to add my voice (and my bell-ringing!) to all those who have posted such beautiful comments and memories here about your mother. I, too, was one of her "fans" from the first time I "met" her on this Bulletin Board.

I have followed Denise's posts since I first came to this sight a little less than a year ago when my husband was diagnosed. Much of her journey has mirror my husband's, which can be comforting to us here struggling with melanoma. I learned much from her, most importantly her tenacity, her hope, her always thinking, "Ok, what's next?" I'm not surprisd to hear that she was still saying this up until her passing.

She has left you a beautiful, loving, strong legacy. How lucky you are for that. Please know that our hearts here truly are aching for you and for Denise.

Janet Lee

Janet Lee
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Heather,

Janet Lee

Viewing 53 reply threads
                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics