The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Quick update

Forums General Melanoma Community Quick update

Participant

Just a quick update. I just got out of an operation here in Seattle.

I'm in the ICU. The operation was to improve my breathing, which was a success. So now I'm just recuperating and I'll send more when I have some more energy.

Viewing 59 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jahendry12
        Participant

Great to hear from you Paul and good news the operation was a success and your breathing has improved. 

Thanks for the update. Prayers for continued good news!

Julie

Jahendry12
          Participant

Great to hear from you Paul and good news the operation was a success and your breathing has improved. 

Julie

Jahendry12
            Participant

Julie

BrianP
              Participant

Awesome Paul.  Rest up. 

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

Awesome Paul.  Rest up. 

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Awesome Paul.  Rest up. 

Brian

sister of patient
                    Participant

Hi Paul – Bombarding you with best wishes and all good thoughts!!!!!

Barb

sister of patient
                      Participant

Barb

sister of patient
                        Participant

Barb

Buddy0513
                          Participant

Excellent news! Glad to hear things are continuing to move in the right direction for you. Hang in there!

Melissa

Buddy0513
                            Participant

Excellent news! Glad to hear things are continuing to move in the right direction for you. Hang in there!

Melissa

Jenine
                                Participant

Good for you! You certainly deserve it;)

Jenine

Jenine
                                  Participant

Jenine

Jenine
                                    Participant

Jenine

Buddy0513
                                    Participant

Melissa

SABKLYN
                                      Participant

Happy to hear it was a success!

SABKLYN
                                        Participant

SABKLYN
                                          Participant

Bubbles
                                            Participant

Hang in there, Paulster!  You are the badest dude I've ever known!!! Feel better!  love, c

Bubbles
                                              Participant

Hang in there, Paulster!  You are the badest dude I've ever known!!! Feel better!  love, c

Bubbles
                                                Participant

Mark_DC
                                                  Participant

Well done,hope you are feeling better and will recover soon

good luck, mark

Mark_DC
                                                    Participant

good luck, mark

Mark_DC
                                                      Participant

good luck, mark

_Paul_
                                                        Participant

The operation went well but the recovery was a bitch. After they removed the breathing tube I was not returning to normal oxygen levels, I was in terrible pain and I was delirious. They thought they were going to have to reintubate me, but one nurse, Laura, stuck with me through the whole thing and together we made it. It was an hour of hell but here I am.

I now have a window joining the sac around my heart with the sac around my left lung. And my left lung is now draining through the side of my chest. After a few days the medical team will decide what to do about the drain. Once the rate slows, they can just let it drain into my chest. Removing the drain is much less traumatic.

In the meantime I'm hanging out here in the ICU at the UW hospital here in Seattle.

What a ride.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                          Participant

The operation went well but the recovery was a bitch. After they removed the breathing tube I was not returning to normal oxygen levels, I was in terrible pain and I was delirious. They thought they were going to have to reintubate me, but one nurse, Laura, stuck with me through the whole thing and together we made it. It was an hour of hell but here I am.

I now have a window joining the sac around my heart with the sac around my left lung. And my left lung is now draining through the side of my chest. After a few days the medical team will decide what to do about the drain. Once the rate slows, they can just let it drain into my chest. Removing the drain is much less traumatic.

In the meantime I'm hanging out here in the ICU at the UW hospital here in Seattle.

What a ride.

– Paul

debwray
                                                              Participant

Hey Paul, 

What a ride. Really hoping things get better for you soon and that the new trial does what is needed. Deepest respect and admiration for you in buckets…

Deb

debwray
                                                                Participant

Hey Paul, 

What a ride. Really hoping things get better for you soon and that the new trial does what is needed. Deepest respect and admiration for you in buckets…

Deb

debwray
                                                                  Participant

Hey Paul, 

Deb

Rocco
                                                                    Participant

Hi Paul,

Tons of good vibes and prayers sent your way!  Big shout out to your nurse Laura for showing what true nursing is all about – compassion and care.   Hang in there!

Rocco
                                                                      Participant

Hi Paul,

Tons of good vibes and prayers sent your way!  Big shout out to your nurse Laura for showing what true nursing is all about – compassion and care.   Hang in there!

Rocco
                                                                        Participant

Hi Paul,

Shaneswife
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Wow Paul. Thanks for taking the time to update us all. Will keep you in my thoughts.

Janis

Shaneswife
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Wow Paul. Thanks for taking the time to update us all. Will keep you in my thoughts.

Janis

Shaneswife
                                                                              Participant

Janis

Mark_DC
                                                                                Participant

Paul, you are amazing and incredibly brave

keep thinking of you, hope this will soon be fixed

wish i was on the west coast not east

good kuck, mark

Mark_DC
                                                                                  Participant

good kuck, mark

Mark_DC
                                                                                    Participant

good kuck, mark

_Paul_
                                                                                    Participant

What a ride.

– Paul

Scooby123
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        Good to hear from you paul glad you sorted breathing issue out. Hope you can rest and get energy levels up now.keep well
                                                                                        Scooby x
                                                                                        Scooby123
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          Good to hear from you paul glad you sorted breathing issue out. Hope you can rest and get energy levels up now.keep well
                                                                                          Scooby x
                                                                                          Scooby123
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            Scooby x
                                                                                            keepthefaith11
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Paul, thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way! You are one amazing human being!

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                Paul, thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way! You are one amazing human being!

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                Participant

Annie

Linny
                                                                                                  Participant

Happy to hear the operation went well and that you had a good nurse at your side. 

You are the king of all badasses! 

Praying for a speedy recovery for you.

Linny
                                                                                                    Participant

Happy to hear the operation went well and that you had a good nurse at your side. 

Linny
                                                                                                      Participant

Patrisa
                                                                                                        Participant

Dear Paul,

thinking of you every day and believing in you, in your strenght and courage…

Be well…

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                                                          Participant

Dear Paul,

Be well…

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                                                            Participant

Dear Paul,

Be well…

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                                                              Participant

Dear Paul,

Be well…

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                                                                Participant

Dear Paul,

Be well…

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                                                                  Participant

Dear Paul,

Be well…

Love,

Patrisa

rabbits68
                                                                                                                    Participant

Praying for you!

rabbits68
                                                                                                                      Participant

Praying for you!

rabbits68
                                                                                                                        Participant

Praying for you!

vivian
                                                                                                                            Participant

You are amazing, Paul!  I'm sending you light and love.

Lear

vivian
                                                                                                                              Participant

Lear

vivian
                                                                                                                                Participant

Lear

maperny
                                                                                                                                Participant

Really pleased the operation was a success!  Hope you can get on with the trial very soon.  You are an inspiration

Maria

maperny
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Really pleased the operation was a success!  Hope you can get on with the trial very soon.  You are an inspiration

Maria

maperny
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Maria

snow white
                                                                                                                                      Participant

So happy to hear.  Now get your behind down here and get this trial going, jk.  I am so relieved to hear that it went well.  I have been keeping Mom and Dad informed and they send there best wishes to you.  Speedy recovery to you, keep in touch!

xo Jen

snow white
                                                                                                                                        Participant

So happy to hear.  Now get your behind down here and get this trial going, jk.  I am so relieved to hear that it went well.  I have been keeping Mom and Dad informed and they send there best wishes to you.  Speedy recovery to you, keep in touch!

xo Jen

snow white
                                                                                                                                          Participant

xo Jen

tschmith
                                                                                                                                            Participant

You are one powerful guy, Paul.  Your spirit is amazing.  I know you are enduring so a great deal of pain and with so much grace.  

A sincere and heartfelt prayer was just said for you, Paul.

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                                                                                              Participant

You are one powerful guy, Paul.  Your spirit is amazing.  I know you are enduring so a great deal of pain and with so much grace.  

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Terrie

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Holy wow Paul! Thanks for checking in! Yikes with another chest draining, but happy to hear you had a solid, caring nurse this time, and that you are breathing easier. Hoping that liquid quits spilling out of you soon, and you can get on down to LA for the next phase of the fight. I was worried the chest tube removal was going to hurt like a monster… much to my pleasant surprise, one swift pain free pull, and the doc had it in the biohazard can! Keep kickin' it you badass warrior!!! **thumbs up**

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Holy wow Paul! Thanks for checking in! Yikes with another chest draining, but happy to hear you had a solid, caring nurse this time, and that you are breathing easier. Hoping that liquid quits spilling out of you soon, and you can get on down to LA for the next phase of the fight. I was worried the chest tube removal was going to hurt like a monster… much to my pleasant surprise, one swift pain free pull, and the doc had it in the biohazard can! Keep kickin' it you badass warrior!!! **thumbs up**

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Hope you're recovering well and breathing better now Paul. Rooting for you as always!

jennunicorn
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hope you're recovering well and breathing better now Paul. Rooting for you as always!

jennunicorn
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

jbronicki
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

You are one amazing dude Paul, I mean that sincerely.  As much as I hate everything that you have gone through and are going through, your posts always bring a smile to my face, that's saying a lot!  Please hang tough, you inspire us all ๐Ÿ™‚  Wishing you nothing but the best!

jbronicki
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

You are one amazing dude Paul, I mean that sincerely.  As much as I hate everything that you have gone through and are going through, your posts always bring a smile to my face, that's saying a lot!  Please hang tough, you inspire us all ๐Ÿ™‚  Wishing you nothing but the best!

jbronicki
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

adriana cooper
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Paul, I hope you are doing well today. Sorry I didn't come in the other day but the Docs were just about to come in. Adriana was in the Montlake cut side of the South wing and the view and room  was awesome, looks like you were on the courtyard side in ICU. They should be giving you the view rooms with your frequent visitors card smiley  Adriana got out yesterday but we get to enjoy daily visits for the next 2+ weeks, although we get weekends and holidays off. Have you had visitors? I know they presently have to gown up and all, sisters/daughter? How are things going with your fiance'. Let me know if I can do anything in that department. If you are up for a visit, let us know. If not I understand that too. Sitting in the room can be a drag although they seem to keep you pretty busy with tests, bed checks and all. I hope you like your Docs there. The tall guy seemed pretty nice. Adriana's hospital Docs have been great and she is not really looking forward to going back to SCCA although her next appt. is with Dr. Lee which will give us the opportunity to see someone new. We kind of feel that Dr. Bhatia kind of missed the ball at her appointment on Monday before all this went down as he didn't do a physical exam, he rarely does, whereas the ER Dr. examined her back on Wed. and concluded that her pain was more than just a pulled muscle. She wasn't even scheduled for another brain MRI/Neuro consult for another two weeks from now, we wonder how much more growth there would have been and if it would have been past the point of being able to help her. angryHindsight and all.  

Be strong. We are here to help.

Rob

adriana cooper
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Paul, I hope you are doing well today. Sorry I didn't come in the other day but the Docs were just about to come in. Adriana was in the Montlake cut side of the South wing and the view and room  was awesome, looks like you were on the courtyard side in ICU. They should be giving you the view rooms with your frequent visitors card smiley  Adriana got out yesterday but we get to enjoy daily visits for the next 2+ weeks, although we get weekends and holidays off. Have you had visitors? I know they presently have to gown up and all, sisters/daughter? How are things going with your fiance'. Let me know if I can do anything in that department. If you are up for a visit, let us know. If not I understand that too. Sitting in the room can be a drag although they seem to keep you pretty busy with tests, bed checks and all. I hope you like your Docs there. The tall guy seemed pretty nice. Adriana's hospital Docs have been great and she is not really looking forward to going back to SCCA although her next appt. is with Dr. Lee which will give us the opportunity to see someone new. We kind of feel that Dr. Bhatia kind of missed the ball at her appointment on Monday before all this went down as he didn't do a physical exam, he rarely does, whereas the ER Dr. examined her back on Wed. and concluded that her pain was more than just a pulled muscle. She wasn't even scheduled for another brain MRI/Neuro consult for another two weeks from now, we wonder how much more growth there would have been and if it would have been past the point of being able to help her. angryHindsight and all.  

Rob

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I really hope Adriana has pulls through this. I pray for her every day that I can.  Sorry I missed you.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

I really hope Adriana has pulls through this. I pray for her every day that I can.  Sorry I missed you.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

– Paul

adriana cooper
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Rob

Viewing 59 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics