The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nutrition and melanoma prevention

Forums General Melanoma Community Nutrition and melanoma prevention

Participant

First off – I am not a medical expert …. I am just a Mom who has a 14 year old son who was diagnosed with melanoma this past September. While it had not spread to his sentinel nodes, the lesion was 14mm so we're talking serious melanoma. He starts Interferon on Monday, Dec. 13th.

First off – I am not a medical expert …. I am just a Mom who has a 14 year old son who was diagnosed with melanoma this past September. While it had not spread to his sentinel nodes, the lesion was 14mm so we're talking serious melanoma. He starts Interferon on Monday, Dec. 13th.

I wanted to speak with a physician who would complement the amazing team we work with at Dana-Farber. I  was able to meet with a physician in my area that has become very interested in the nutritional approach to curing cancer and other illnesses, after his own cancer diagnosis in the 1990's.

While nothing is 100% certain to help inhibit melanoma, these are some of the herbs that we spoke about. Dr. S was also extremely supportive of eating a healthy diet with foods that would contain many of these vitamins/herbs. But because I am dealing with a teenager, it will be easier to approach some of these from a supplemental  approach, while also planning to instill new recipes into our evening meals. (Indian, etc.)

I have two sources of information – "The Definitive Guide To Cancer, third edition" by Lise Alschuler and Karolyn Gazella. I have an article titled, "Nutrition and melanoma prevention" published in 2010. If you would like a copy of this article E-mailed to you, please leave your E-mail as a reply and I can send it to you. The book is readily available at bookstores.

After studying the literature, the supplements that I plan to add to our son's diet are:

CoQ10

Curcumin

Panax Ginseng

Vitamin D

I toyed with Fermented Wheat Extract (not germ!) – also known as Avemar – but the cost is extremely high – about $200 for a month's supply – so I won't be starting with that initially. 

I would suggest any supplements that you add to your diet should be presented to your Oncology team. I am thankful that our son's Oncologist supports these extra measures. 

So, no major rocket science going on here, but it's worth trying!

Viewing 100 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Thank you so much for passing on valuable info to us. I would love a copy of article titled, "Nutrition and melanoma prevention" published in 2010. Please email me a copy at [email protected]

I wish your son the best of luck with his treatment. His age & attutde will get him through this plus the love of his family.

Wendy

[email protected]

killmel
          Participant

Thank you so much for passing on valuable info to us. I would love a copy of article titled, "Nutrition and melanoma prevention" published in 2010. Please email me a copy at [email protected]

I wish your son the best of luck with his treatment. His age & attutde will get him through this plus the love of his family.

Wendy

[email protected]

Hawaii Bob
            Participant

You may also want to consider adding:

-Shiitake mushroom extract

-Resveratrol

-Selinium (200 mcg)

-Cinnamon (Korean study found that in vivo and in vitro studies that it increases T-Killer cells)

– Green Tea (polyphenols are thought to have cancer fighting properties — note, many cite a Japanese study about green tea drinkers and lung cancer — which was a rather crude study with alot holes in its methodology — as "proof" to dispute this).

I'm not sure I would recommend this for a teenager, but I also have a prescription for Celebrex due to hip arthritis; however, I take 2 X 200 mg Celebrex capsules a day regardless of whether or not my hip is inflamed…… It's a COX-2 inhibitor and the oncologists know that COX-2 enzyme is a promoter of cancer and melanoma progression …. There are quite a few studies underway (mostly in pancreatic cancer if I recall) on the efficacey of Celebrex as a possible adjuvant to treatment….

Best regards,

Hawaii Bob, Stage IIA

Hawaii Bob
              Participant

-Resveratrol

-Selinium (200 mcg)

-Cinnamon (Korean study found that in vivo and in vitro studies that it increases T-Killer cells)

– Green Tea (polyphenols are thought to have cancer fighting properties — note, many cite a Japanese study about green tea drinkers and lung cancer — which was a rather crude study with alot holes in its methodology — as "proof" to dispute this).

I'm not sure I would recommend this for a teenager, but I also have a prescription for Celebrex due to hip arthritis; however, I take 2 X 200 mg Celebrex capsules a day regardless of whether or not my hip is inflamed…… It's a COX-2 inhibitor and the oncologists know that COX-2 enzyme is a promoter of cancer and melanoma progression …. There are quite a few studies underway (mostly in pancreatic cancer if I recall) on the efficacey of Celebrex as a possible adjuvant to treatment….

Best regards,

Hawaii Bob, Stage IIA

Hawaii Bob
                Participant

-Resveratrol

-Selinium (200 mcg)

Best regards,

Hawaii Bob, Stage IIA

Hawaii Bob
                  Participant

-Resveratrol

-Selinium (200 mcg)

Best regards,

Hawaii Bob, Stage IIA

kthekhal
                    Participant

Since you mentioned 'Indian' recipes ( hope you meant East Indian !!) – use turmeric in the dishes you prepare.

Turmeric is a herb with great anti-cancer benefits . http://organicindia.mercola.com/herbal-supplements/turmeric.aspx

Fact is , the incidence of breast cancer among East Indian women is 5 times lesser than American women and that is attributed to the various herbs used regularly in the Indian diet (food for thought ! )

Also, try  Yoga ( I never get tired of explaining the benefits of Yoga as an alternative treatment for cancer patients)

Regards,

Kish ( Stage 3b Melanoma survivor  – NED since Oct 2008) (4mm primary , 2 lymph nodes with melanoma)

kthekhal
                      Participant

Since you mentioned 'Indian' recipes ( hope you meant East Indian !!) – use turmeric in the dishes you prepare.

Turmeric is a herb with great anti-cancer benefits . http://organicindia.mercola.com/herbal-supplements/turmeric.aspx

Fact is , the incidence of breast cancer among East Indian women is 5 times lesser than American women and that is attributed to the various herbs used regularly in the Indian diet (food for thought ! )

Also, try  Yoga ( I never get tired of explaining the benefits of Yoga as an alternative treatment for cancer patients)

Regards,

Kish ( Stage 3b Melanoma survivor  – NED since Oct 2008) (4mm primary , 2 lymph nodes with melanoma)

The Gambler
                        Participant

Thank you so much for the book suggestions I would appreciate an E-Mail copy to   [email protected] loving wife Deb has been my major support system and force feeding me articles ,books and every piece of information she finds.I have been to an alternative medicine doctor and I also have an appointment with a Naturopathic doctor as she is a cancer survivor and takes her practice serious.We have discovered our best defense is information and the Internet and sites like this are our best friends.We have also jumped in with both feet to a diet of veggies fruits and little meat ,next is focus on detoxify and yoga for mental wellbeing I was diagnosed this past June and July the tumor and aprox 20 nodes were removed RH groin ,so here we are with a world wide community to fight the bastard Melanoma…..We wish you all the best

davekarrie
                            Participant

I would love a copy of the article sent to [email protected]

Thank you.  Stage IIIa and my tube comes out MOnday hopefully with 41 nodes removed from under left arm.

carolegarry
                              Participant

Hi,

I , too, would appreciate a copy of your Nutrition and Melanoma article.

My e-mail is

[email protected]

Thanks,

Carole 3C

carolegarry
                                Participant

Hi,

I , too, would appreciate a copy of your Nutrition and Melanoma article.

My e-mail is

[email protected]

Thanks,

Carole 3C

davekarrie
                                  Participant

I would love a copy of the article sent to [email protected]

Thank you.  Stage IIIa and my tube comes out MOnday hopefully with 41 nodes removed from under left arm.

The Gambler
                                  Participant

Thank you so much for the book suggestions I would appreciate an E-Mail copy to   [email protected] loving wife Deb has been my major support system and force feeding me articles ,books and every piece of information she finds.I have been to an alternative medicine doctor and I also have an appointment with a Naturopathic doctor as she is a cancer survivor and takes her practice serious.We have discovered our best defense is information and the Internet and sites like this are our best friends.We have also jumped in with both feet to a diet of veggies fruits and little meat ,next is focus on detoxify and yoga for mental wellbeing I was diagnosed this past June and July the tumor and aprox 20 nodes were removed RH groin ,so here we are with a world wide community to fight the bastard Melanoma…..We wish you all the best

PhyllisP
                                    Participant

I would also like you to email me the report.  [email protected]   I was dx in Nov. 09, WLE, SNB–1 pos. then TLD none  pos.  That makes me IIIA.  Scans 2 weeks ago were negative.  Yea!  I have added some of the mentioned supplements and added more fruits/vegs but still eat meat and I do enjoy red wine daily. Thats where I get resveratol!

thanks for posting about the article.

Phyllis

PhyllisP
                                      Participant

I would also like you to email me the report.  [email protected]   I was dx in Nov. 09, WLE, SNB–1 pos. then TLD none  pos.  That makes me IIIA.  Scans 2 weeks ago were negative.  Yea!  I have added some of the mentioned supplements and added more fruits/vegs but still eat meat and I do enjoy red wine daily. Thats where I get resveratol!

thanks for posting about the article.

Phyllis

Hi there, Id love a copy as well.   [email protected]      thanks so much!   ive got lots of info too that ill find and put up over the next few days. xo

Hi there, Id love a copy as well.   [email protected]      thanks so much!   ive got lots of info too that ill find and put up over the next few days. xo

Gwen in Maine
                                        Participant

I would love a copy of the nutrition and melanoma prevention article. You can send it to [email protected].

I hope your son has an easier go of the interferon today. It's nice that someone is coming to your home.

Gwen

michelleg
                                            Participant

I would love a cpoy of the article too when you get a chance.   [email protected]  Otherwise, hang in there!

michelleg
                                              Participant

I would love a cpoy of the article too when you get a chance.   [email protected]  Otherwise, hang in there!

Gwen in Maine
                                              Participant

I would love a copy of the nutrition and melanoma prevention article. You can send it to [email protected].

I hope your son has an easier go of the interferon today. It's nice that someone is coming to your home.

Gwen

deirgey
                                                Participant

I would love a copy of "Nutrition and Melanoma Prevention" to [email protected].  Thanks for passing on your research.  This really helps a ton.  Good luck with your son's diet! 

deirgey
                                                  Participant

I would love a copy of "Nutrition and Melanoma Prevention" to [email protected].  Thanks for passing on your research.  This really helps a ton.  Good luck with your son's diet! 

deirgey
                                                    Participant

Vermont_Donna
                                                        Participant

Hi,

Would you kindly email me the Nutrition and Melanoma Prevention article as well? Email to [email protected]. Thanks for sharing and best of luck with your son's treatments.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                                                          Participant

Hi,

Would you kindly email me the Nutrition and Melanoma Prevention article as well? Email to [email protected]. Thanks for sharing and best of luck with your son's treatments.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

deirgey
                                                          Participant

Laurie from maine
                                                            Participant

Hi,

I would  love a copy to [email protected] thank you.

I live in maine also and wondered if you would recommend others to go to the nutritional doctor you saw? 

thanks laurie from maine

Vermont_Donna
                                                                Participant

Hi,

I couldnt get mine to open?? Could you resend it differently??

Thanks,

Vermont_Donna

Melanoma Mom
                                                                  Participant

I'm not sure how to send it differently, Donna. Sorry! I will try to send it again to you and see if that works. 

Laurie, I was pleased with the amount of research and work that Dr. Jon Semmes at True North (Falmouth) did for us. He is certainly not an expert when it comes specifically to melanoma, but he feels strongly that nutrition can help cancer patients and he did exhaustive research to help us. He also sent these articles to our Pediatric Oncologist to make sure it was OK with him. Our Oncologist at Dana-Farber was impressed and said he would be keeping the info for future use. Our insurance did cover the visits with him and since we have already hit our maximum out-of-pocket, it was certainly well worth the expense (or lack thereof!). While I am sure there are physicians out there that are more versed specifically on Melanoma, they aren't necessarily anywhere near our location and I am not currently in a position to travel far distances. That being said, I was very pleased with Dr. Semmes.

Vermont_Donna
                                                                    Participant

Hi,

Well, unfortunately, I cant open the article, no matter what I did. I am going to try on a friends computer or have my daughter help me when she comes home from college. It could be the computer I am using has an old program on it? Anyways, I am here in nearby Vermont. I just looked at your profile, and see you are in Brunswick ME. I have been there many times. Usually go to York Beach every year, its where I went as a child growing up for two weeks in the summer, so it has happy memories.

I had one of my treatments, an ILP, at Mass General last year. Wow, for such a big hospital, I had such great care. I see you are going to Dana Farber for your son's care. I may check that out too, as a second opinion. I go to DHMC in Lebanon MH and I am happy with my melanoma oncologist but my oncology surgeon wants me to consider a leg amputation. Before I ever do that I would go to some other places for their opinion.

Maybe you can email me the source of that article and I can research it that way?

I wish you good luck and great success with your son's treatments. I did a year of interferon, actually 11 months of the low dose injections, as my PICC line failed and so they decided not to do the high dose. I was too tired to work and so I took a leave of absence and just stayed home, did household chores in the morning and slept all afternoon. I only had one child  at home, a high school student, so I didnt have a lot of demands on me. It was the first time, other than staying home for maternity leave, that I had even been home for such an extended period of time. I took that time to sleep, rest, read (although the interferon did affect my ability to concentrate, and reading and watching tv was difficult for me).

Again, best of luck, and Happy Holidays!

Vermont_Donna

stage 3a

Melanoma Mom
                                                                      Participant

Donna, why don't you E-mail me your address and I will mail you a copy of the article?

[email protected]

Melanoma Mom
                                                                        Participant

Donna, why don't you E-mail me your address and I will mail you a copy of the article?

[email protected]

Vermont_Donna
                                                                          Participant

Hi,

Well, unfortunately, I cant open the article, no matter what I did. I am going to try on a friends computer or have my daughter help me when she comes home from college. It could be the computer I am using has an old program on it? Anyways, I am here in nearby Vermont. I just looked at your profile, and see you are in Brunswick ME. I have been there many times. Usually go to York Beach every year, its where I went as a child growing up for two weeks in the summer, so it has happy memories.

I had one of my treatments, an ILP, at Mass General last year. Wow, for such a big hospital, I had such great care. I see you are going to Dana Farber for your son's care. I may check that out too, as a second opinion. I go to DHMC in Lebanon MH and I am happy with my melanoma oncologist but my oncology surgeon wants me to consider a leg amputation. Before I ever do that I would go to some other places for their opinion.

Maybe you can email me the source of that article and I can research it that way?

I wish you good luck and great success with your son's treatments. I did a year of interferon, actually 11 months of the low dose injections, as my PICC line failed and so they decided not to do the high dose. I was too tired to work and so I took a leave of absence and just stayed home, did household chores in the morning and slept all afternoon. I only had one child  at home, a high school student, so I didnt have a lot of demands on me. It was the first time, other than staying home for maternity leave, that I had even been home for such an extended period of time. I took that time to sleep, rest, read (although the interferon did affect my ability to concentrate, and reading and watching tv was difficult for me).

Again, best of luck, and Happy Holidays!

Vermont_Donna

stage 3a

Laurie from maine
                                                                            Participant

Hi

Thank you.  I may check out that doctor myself  – I would love to get more information about nutrition and fighting cancer.  Thank you for your research.

Please keep us informed about how your son is dealing with the treatment..  He is young and strong.  I am sure you know if you or he has any questions while on the treatment people are here to help.

I live in Portland but have rented up in Harpswell and shopped in downtown Brunswick – I love it up there, very pretty area.

take care

laurie from maine

ChristineL
                                                                              Participant

I noticed that for the practice in Falmouth, they are considered an "out of network provider" by many insurance companies.  I am choosing to go to Integrative Therapies for Cancer and Chronic Disease in Portland because it will be completely covered by my insurance.  Just my two cents. 

Best,

ChristineL

Melanoma Mom
                                                                                Participant

Blue Cross Blue Shield picked up 100% for me ….

Melanoma Mom
                                                                                  Participant

Blue Cross Blue Shield picked up 100% for me ….

ChristineL
                                                                                    Participant

I noticed that for the practice in Falmouth, they are considered an "out of network provider" by many insurance companies.  I am choosing to go to Integrative Therapies for Cancer and Chronic Disease in Portland because it will be completely covered by my insurance.  Just my two cents. 

Best,

ChristineL

Laurie from maine
                                                                                      Participant

Hi

Thank you.  I may check out that doctor myself  – I would love to get more information about nutrition and fighting cancer.  Thank you for your research.

Please keep us informed about how your son is dealing with the treatment..  He is young and strong.  I am sure you know if you or he has any questions while on the treatment people are here to help.

I live in Portland but have rented up in Harpswell and shopped in downtown Brunswick – I love it up there, very pretty area.

take care

laurie from maine

Melanoma Mom
                                                                                        Participant

I'm not sure how to send it differently, Donna. Sorry! I will try to send it again to you and see if that works. 

Laurie, I was pleased with the amount of research and work that Dr. Jon Semmes at True North (Falmouth) did for us. He is certainly not an expert when it comes specifically to melanoma, but he feels strongly that nutrition can help cancer patients and he did exhaustive research to help us. He also sent these articles to our Pediatric Oncologist to make sure it was OK with him. Our Oncologist at Dana-Farber was impressed and said he would be keeping the info for future use. Our insurance did cover the visits with him and since we have already hit our maximum out-of-pocket, it was certainly well worth the expense (or lack thereof!). While I am sure there are physicians out there that are more versed specifically on Melanoma, they aren't necessarily anywhere near our location and I am not currently in a position to travel far distances. That being said, I was very pleased with Dr. Semmes.

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                          Participant

Hi,

I couldnt get mine to open?? Could you resend it differently??

Thanks,

Vermont_Donna

Laurie from maine
                                                                                          Participant

Hi,

I would  love a copy to [email protected] thank you.

I live in maine also and wondered if you would recommend others to go to the nutritional doctor you saw? 

thanks laurie from maine

Dynasysman
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Please e-mail a copy of the article on Nutition and Melanoma Preventionto [email protected]. Thanks so much and good luck.
                                                                                              Dynasysman
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                Please e-mail a copy of the article on Nutition and Melanoma Preventionto [email protected]. Thanks so much and good luck.
                                                                                                Jan in OC
                                                                                                Participant

Hi, I am interested in the article.  My husband is stage IV in BRAF Trial and I will try anything I can to keep him going in this fight.  Our team at UCLA is not so much into the nutrition angle, but my husband and I are trying it.   Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks, Jan

Jan in OC
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi, I am interested in the article.  My husband is stage IV in BRAF Trial and I will try anything I can to keep him going in this fight.  Our team at UCLA is not so much into the nutrition angle, but my husband and I are trying it.   Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks, Jan

Barb
                                                                                                    Participant

I would  love a copy  please email to [email protected]

And thank you..

Barbara 18 months Ned from Texas  

Barb
                                                                                                      Participant

I would  love a copy  please email to [email protected]

And thank you..

Barbara 18 months Ned from Texas  

Ninja
                                                                                                        Participant

Hi,

Thanks for all the great information that you posted here. I would like if possible, to get a copy of the article that you mentioned in your post. My husband was diagnosed with Stage IIIa melanoma in 2004. He did one year of interferon and so far, so good,  but I am always vigilant and I would love to find out more about the right nutrition for melanoma patients.

Thank you. Consuelo ([email protected])

Ninja
                                                                                                          Participant

Hi,

Thanks for all the great information that you posted here. I would like if possible, to get a copy of the article that you mentioned in your post. My husband was diagnosed with Stage IIIa melanoma in 2004. He did one year of interferon and so far, so good,  but I am always vigilant and I would love to find out more about the right nutrition for melanoma patients.

Thank you. Consuelo ([email protected])

Rea
                                                                                                            Participant

My husband is doing several herbs and supplements.  Please send me the article.  [email protected]

Thank you.

Rea

Rea
                                                                                                              Participant

My husband is doing several herbs and supplements.  Please send me the article.  [email protected]

Thank you.

Rea

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                                Participant

Hi for 5 years I've been a cook/chef in an all-organic/vegetarian co-op (health food store). Every ingredient/product/spice/herb/oil/liquid we use is organic, sustainable, pesticide/gmo/msg-free, all is fresh, mostly local and pure. The way the earth and evolution intended. Since I was diagnosed, I think about every one of our 70 employees has come up to me with books, movies, info and suggestions about beating this thing nutritionally, being that this is basis and idea behind my store. (selling quality/nutritional/organic goods for a healthy life). Of all the books I've read, I think the most informative was "beating cancer with nutrition" http://www.amazon.com/Beating-Cancer-Nutrition-book-CD/dp/096383729X. It seems to cover every little detail of every aspect of nutrition as a cancer cure/preventative. Very informative and the index is great. With all the information I've taken in over the years as far as nutrition goes, I can't say what works… (tumeric, juicing, IP-6, vitamin C, D, E, supplements, avocado pits, pineapple cores, apricot kernels, cinnamon, acid vs alkaline, zinc, melatonin, chaga, reishi mushrooms,coffee enemas, esiac teas, ?????? the list goes on and on…. ) it seems that some things work and help some people and somethings don't. I think it would take lifetimes to properly try and give time to specifically see what works and what doesn't and I think there's alot more to it than just nutrtion though, it's a whole lifestyle thing with dozens of other factors, but that's a whole other story… but I'd say to just experiment with what makes you feel good and hope for the best. But no matter what, eating healthy won't hurt and can only help, if not for cancer, for overall health… which plays a major role in cancer..

Thanks and best wishes to you and your son. Happy Holidays.

-Kevin

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi for 5 years I've been a cook/chef in an all-organic/vegetarian co-op (health food store). Every ingredient/product/spice/herb/oil/liquid we use is organic, sustainable, pesticide/gmo/msg-free, all is fresh, mostly local and pure. The way the earth and evolution intended. Since I was diagnosed, I think about every one of our 70 employees has come up to me with books, movies, info and suggestions about beating this thing nutritionally, being that this is basis and idea behind my store. (selling quality/nutritional/organic goods for a healthy life). Of all the books I've read, I think the most informative was "beating cancer with nutrition" http://www.amazon.com/Beating-Cancer-Nutrition-book-CD/dp/096383729X. It seems to cover every little detail of every aspect of nutrition as a cancer cure/preventative. Very informative and the index is great. With all the information I've taken in over the years as far as nutrition goes, I can't say what works… (tumeric, juicing, IP-6, vitamin C, D, E, supplements, avocado pits, pineapple cores, apricot kernels, cinnamon, acid vs alkaline, zinc, melatonin, chaga, reishi mushrooms,coffee enemas, esiac teas, ?????? the list goes on and on…. ) it seems that some things work and help some people and somethings don't. I think it would take lifetimes to properly try and give time to specifically see what works and what doesn't and I think there's alot more to it than just nutrtion though, it's a whole lifestyle thing with dozens of other factors, but that's a whole other story… but I'd say to just experiment with what makes you feel good and hope for the best. But no matter what, eating healthy won't hurt and can only help, if not for cancer, for overall health… which plays a major role in cancer..

Thanks and best wishes to you and your son. Happy Holidays.

-Kevin

lizyli2000
                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi,

I would also love a copy of the article. If you woulnd't mind emailing it to me [email protected]

Thank you,

Liza

lizyli2000
                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi,

I would also love a copy of the article. If you woulnd't mind emailing it to me [email protected]

Thank you,

Liza

Leigh
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi,

I would really appreciate a copy of the email to [email protected] when you have time. Best wishes.

Leigh
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi,

I would really appreciate a copy of the email to [email protected] when you have time. Best wishes.

ockelly
                                                                                                                            Participant

Sorry to also ask but could you please send the article along to [email protected]

I tried to find it online but couldn't….

Praying your boy is tolerating the treatment well.  

My husband was dx in Nov with stage 3B.  Will to start treatment next week.

Keeping you in my prayers.

Kelly

dawn dion
                                                                                                                                Participant

Please e-mail me the link for Nutrition and Melanoma prevention to [email protected] .

It makes me sad to hear of such a young person having to deal with such a ugly monster.   I am glad he is doing well and I hope that he is able to remain being a kid, rather than deal with some of the things others in this boat have had to do.  My hat is off to you, for being so proactive.  As a mom it is how we are programmed.   I am glad that your doctors were so responsive to this, because I personally believe that is probably the only way to truly beat it down.   I am a stage 4 and go to Moffitt – they are not believers (at least my Dr. isn't).    However I have recently changed my diet to completely RAW, and using several of the supplements you suggested.  I am also juicing and grow my own wheat grass. 

I was recently introduced to several people all stage 4,of different cancers, one being melanoma, who are NED and have been for several years.  They have all gone to a completely RAW diet for a period of two years or more and then moved on to a vegan diet with a maintenance program of juicing and wheat grass.   Theory being that it takes at least two years for your immune system to completely repair it self.   I know that melanoma doesn't play by the same rules as other cancers but if you have done any research on this topic, and I am sure you have, you will find that Melanoma is more of a cancer of the immune system, so changing your diet to a more green live foods and no processed only makes sense to me.  I know that is not easy for everyone to do, but for me it is the only thing I absolutely should be doing.  I have two young daughters and I am in no hurry to go anywhere. 

Best of Luck to you all in this fight – I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn Dion (stage 4-Florida) currently doing B-RAF/MEK trial

dawn dion
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Please e-mail me the link for Nutrition and Melanoma prevention to [email protected] .

It makes me sad to hear of such a young person having to deal with such a ugly monster.   I am glad he is doing well and I hope that he is able to remain being a kid, rather than deal with some of the things others in this boat have had to do.  My hat is off to you, for being so proactive.  As a mom it is how we are programmed.   I am glad that your doctors were so responsive to this, because I personally believe that is probably the only way to truly beat it down.   I am a stage 4 and go to Moffitt – they are not believers (at least my Dr. isn't).    However I have recently changed my diet to completely RAW, and using several of the supplements you suggested.  I am also juicing and grow my own wheat grass. 

I was recently introduced to several people all stage 4,of different cancers, one being melanoma, who are NED and have been for several years.  They have all gone to a completely RAW diet for a period of two years or more and then moved on to a vegan diet with a maintenance program of juicing and wheat grass.   Theory being that it takes at least two years for your immune system to completely repair it self.   I know that melanoma doesn't play by the same rules as other cancers but if you have done any research on this topic, and I am sure you have, you will find that Melanoma is more of a cancer of the immune system, so changing your diet to a more green live foods and no processed only makes sense to me.  I know that is not easy for everyone to do, but for me it is the only thing I absolutely should be doing.  I have two young daughters and I am in no hurry to go anywhere. 

Best of Luck to you all in this fight – I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn Dion (stage 4-Florida) currently doing B-RAF/MEK trial

ockelly
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Sorry to also ask but could you please send the article along to [email protected]

I tried to find it online but couldn't….

Praying your boy is tolerating the treatment well.  

My husband was dx in Nov with stage 3B.  Will to start treatment next week.

Keeping you in my prayers.

Kelly

WaianaeGal
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Please send me the article you talked about.  [email protected]

I'm praying for all to have a healthier New Year…

Blessings and Thanks,

WaianaeGal
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Please send me the article you talked about.  [email protected]

I'm praying for all to have a healthier New Year…

Blessings and Thanks,

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi,

I am switching computers today….so could you please email the nutrition article again and hopefully it will download ok this time, thanks, Vermont_Donna

[email protected]

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi,

I am switching computers today….so could you please email the nutrition article again and hopefully it will download ok this time, thanks, Vermont_Donna

[email protected]

Tania
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hello- I've been diagnosed with SMM stage 2A (0.35mm) and will be undergoing SNB in a week. We're hoping it'll be NED! I've been told, though, that whatever the result may be, the next 2 years are crucial in avoiding the cancer from spreading. And as someone else rightly pointed, there's little else early stages can do, apart from keeping an "intelligent" diet… so yes, if you don't mind sending it to me, I'd love to read it. 

Take care and all the best for the New Year!

Tania

Tania
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hello- I've been diagnosed with SMM stage 2A (0.35mm) and will be undergoing SNB in a week. We're hoping it'll be NED! I've been told, though, that whatever the result may be, the next 2 years are crucial in avoiding the cancer from spreading. And as someone else rightly pointed, there's little else early stages can do, apart from keeping an "intelligent" diet… so yes, if you don't mind sending it to me, I'd love to read it. 

Take care and all the best for the New Year!

Tania

Amy K
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Thanks for sharing your info. about the nutrition aspect. I have read lots about nutrition with cancer in general, but was happy to find out there is an article specifically about nutrition and melanoma.  I would love a copy emailed to me.  Thanks. It's [email protected]   

Sorry to hear you are going through this battle too.  Best to you!

Amy K
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks for sharing your info. about the nutrition aspect. I have read lots about nutrition with cancer in general, but was happy to find out there is an article specifically about nutrition and melanoma.  I would love a copy emailed to me.  Thanks. It's [email protected]   

Sorry to hear you are going through this battle too.  Best to you!

ockelly
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Elizabeth

Thank you for sending along the 'melanoma and nutrition' information.  Someone else posted this link that I thought

you would be interested in.

http://www.penncancer.org/pdf/education/CAM%20Nutrition%20and%20Melanoma.pdf

Hoping the interferon side effects are still under control.

Kelly

Melanoma Mom
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks for the article, Kelly!

Melanoma Mom
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Thanks for the article, Kelly!

ockelly
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Elizabeth

Thank you for sending along the 'melanoma and nutrition' information.  Someone else posted this link that I thought

you would be interested in.

http://www.penncancer.org/pdf/education/CAM%20Nutrition%20and%20Melanoma.pdf

Hoping the interferon side effects are still under control.

Kelly

Jenjen
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Elizabeth! My name is Jen..i am 28 yrs old, stage 3a , year of interferon, and now about 1 1/2 years NED. I was diagnosed when i was 26. I try to do anything and everything in my power to stay as healthy as possible. And although i already take most of those supplements you mentioned plus a few others I would love if you could send me the article on melanoma and nutrtition! Thanks! [email protected]

Jenjen 3a

Jenjen
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Elizabeth! My name is Jen..i am 28 yrs old, stage 3a , year of interferon, and now about 1 1/2 years NED. I was diagnosed when i was 26. I try to do anything and everything in my power to stay as healthy as possible. And although i already take most of those supplements you mentioned plus a few others I would love if you could send me the article on melanoma and nutrtition! Thanks! [email protected]

Jenjen 3a

AS123
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

I would love a copy of the article that you mentioned. My email address is [email protected].

My thoughts and prayers are with your son. It sounds like he is in good hands all the way around!

AS123
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I would love a copy of the article that you mentioned. My email address is [email protected].

My thoughts and prayers are with your son. It sounds like he is in good hands all the way around!

bdpyro
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Sorry! My email is [email protected]

Thanks! Bryan

bdpyro
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Sorry! My email is [email protected]

Thanks! Bryan

ashleigh
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi,

I would also like a copy of the article

Please send to [email protected]

Thanks,

Ashleigh

ashleigh
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi,

I would also like a copy of the article

Please send to [email protected]

Thanks,

Ashleigh

Lunawest
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

I would love a copy of that article as well. I'm finding my diagnosis difficult as an adult, I can't even imagine what it must be like for a 14-year-old!  Health & healing =) 

My email address is: [email protected]

Jane Sabini, Connnecticut, Stage I

Lunawest
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

I would love a copy of that article as well. I'm finding my diagnosis difficult as an adult, I can't even imagine what it must be like for a 14-year-old!  Health & healing =) 

My email address is: [email protected]

Jane Sabini, Connnecticut, Stage I

anniepans
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Hi There, I was wondering if you could put me on your list for your supplement info. My e-mail is: [email protected]

Thankyou

Annie

anniepans
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi There, I was wondering if you could put me on your list for your supplement info. My e-mail is: [email protected]

Thankyou

Annie

Janis B.
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Melanoma Mom-

Hawaii Bob mentioned green tea, which I completely believe in.  You can read about the research being done on this on PubMed, which is the part of the NIH website.  Some really positive results, very interesting.

Thanks so very much for sharing your story and your findings re nutrition. Strong prayers for you and your brave son. 

Janis B.
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Melanoma Mom-

Hawaii Bob mentioned green tea, which I completely believe in.  You can read about the research being done on this on PubMed, which is the part of the NIH website.  Some really positive results, very interesting.

Thanks so very much for sharing your story and your findings re nutrition. Strong prayers for you and your brave son. 

csmith3
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Your son, you and your family are in my prayers.

Please send a link to the article re. nutrition and melanoma to [email protected].

Thank you.

csmith3
                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Your son, you and your family are in my prayers.

Please send a link to the article re. nutrition and melanoma to [email protected].

Thank you.

heathersmom
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

I would like to read the article  about "Nutrition and Melanoma Prevention".  Please send to [email protected]

Also, have you found a good quality brand of supplements which you trust?

Thank you, and best wishes with your son's treatment. 

heathersmom

heathersmom
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

I would like to read the article  about "Nutrition and Melanoma Prevention".  Please send to [email protected]

heathersmom

heathersmom
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

heathersmom

heathersmom
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

heathersmom

lovemyhubby
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Would like a copy of the email article "Nutrition and melanoma prevention"

[email protected]

lovemyhubby
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

I want to thank you for making this information available to others.  I  will pray for your son.  We are at the diagnosis stage and I am glad I found this site.  I just ordered the book referred above also. 

Take care and God Bless

Laura

lovemyhubby
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I want to thank you for making this information available to others.  I  will pray for your son.  We are at the diagnosis stage and I am glad I found this site.  I just ordered the book referred above also. 

Take care and God Bless

Laura

lovemyhubby
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Would like a copy of the email article "Nutrition and melanoma prevention"

[email protected]

mombase
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi, if you still have the article available, Nutrition and Melanoma Prevention, I would really appreciate a copy emailed to me at [email protected].

Thank you so much and blessings on your brave son!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hi, if you still have the article available, Nutrition and Melanoma Prevention, I would really appreciate a copy emailed to me at [email protected].

Thank you so much and blessings on your brave son!

Cristy, Stage IV

killmel
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Hi,  

I would really appreciate a copy of Nutrition and Melanoma Prevention,emailed to me at [email protected] Thanks so much.

May your son stay NED forever.

killmel
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi,  

I would really appreciate a copy of Nutrition and Melanoma Prevention,emailed to me at [email protected] Thanks so much.

May your son stay NED forever.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Would be interested in getting your articles at: [email protected]   

The main ingredient in the Indian dishes that is given the main credit for fighting cancer seems to be the Curcumin. 

http://www2.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/2011/01/turmeric-adds-spice-to-your-health.html

Dr Andrew Weil also has published some good info.  

Broccoli and asparagus are also reported to have very good benefits against cancer.  Several studies are underway into the benefits if broccoli.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Would be interested in getting your articles at: [email protected]   

The main ingredient in the Indian dishes that is given the main credit for fighting cancer seems to be the Curcumin. 

http://www2.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/2011/01/turmeric-adds-spice-to-your-health.html

Dr Andrew Weil also has published some good info.  

Broccoli and asparagus are also reported to have very good benefits against cancer.  Several studies are underway into the benefits if broccoli.

jcreley
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Please send a copy of the article to me at:  [email protected]

Thank you for the help. Jack

jcreley
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Please send a copy of the article to me at:  [email protected]

Thank you for the help. Jack

ckrebs
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi, I'd be interested in the article on nutrition and melanoma. I'd appreciate it if you could send it to my email at [email protected] – Thanks and best regards

ckrebs
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hi, I'd be interested in the article on nutrition and melanoma. I'd appreciate it if you could send it to my email at [email protected] – Thanks and best regards

cherylforgay
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Thank you for offering thearticle.  Please send to [email protected]

Have you posted an update on your son's health?  I hope he is thriving.

Cheryl

cherylforgay
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you for offering thearticle.  Please send to [email protected]

Have you posted an update on your son's health?  I hope he is thriving.

Cheryl

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Just found that an s was dropped from my address.  Try at [email protected]

Thanks

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Just found that an s was dropped from my address.  Try at [email protected]

Thanks

NancyF
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

I would love a copy of the article.  My brother is newly diagnosed IIIc just finished one month of interferon.  Email [email protected]  Thank you!

NancyF
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I would love a copy of the article.  My brother is newly diagnosed IIIc just finished one month of interferon.  Email [email protected]  Thank you!

NancyF
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Daisyduke
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                I also have been recently diagnosed with melanoma. Could you please email a copy of “Nutrition and melanoma prevention” to me?

Thanks and good luck!

[email protected]

Daisyduke
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I also have been recently diagnosed with melanoma. Could you please email a copy of “Nutrition and melanoma prevention” to me?

Thanks and good luck!

[email protected]

Daisyduke
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks and good luck!

[email protected]

Daisyduke
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Hi

Not sure if my email request went through, but I would appreciate a copy of the article.

My email is [email protected]

Daisyduke
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Hi

Not sure if my email request went through, but I would appreciate a copy of the article.

Daisyduke
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Hi

Kelly7
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I would also love a copy of the article, my email address is [email protected]

THANK YOU so much!

Kelly7
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

THANK YOU so much!

Kelly7
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

THANK YOU so much!

avit07
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

I would love a copy of the Nutrition article you posted about if you still have it. My email is [email protected]

Thank you 

avit07
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I would love a copy of the Nutrition article you posted about if you still have it. My email is [email protected]

Thank you 

avit07
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thank you 

Viewing 100 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics