The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Knute (Kurt) has joined his Father in Heaven….

Forums General Melanoma Community Knute (Kurt) has joined his Father in Heaven….

Participant

Posted by his daughter, Kenda on facebook:  Kurt passed quietly at 8:35 this evening. We all thank you for your prayers.

Words are very hard right now.. only tears.  I wish I could talk to Kurt, or "Kah-nute" as I called him, just one more time, and let him know what he meant in my life.  If not a Saint, he was as close to a Saint as I'll ever encounter.  He was such an inspiration—such a wise man.  An evangelical Christian, he loved Jesus Christ with every fiber of his being.

Posted by his daughter, Kenda on facebook:  Kurt passed quietly at 8:35 this evening. We all thank you for your prayers.

Words are very hard right now.. only tears.  I wish I could talk to Kurt, or "Kah-nute" as I called him, just one more time, and let him know what he meant in my life.  If not a Saint, he was as close to a Saint as I'll ever encounter.  He was such an inspiration—such a wise man.  An evangelical Christian, he loved Jesus Christ with every fiber of his being.

I saved a post Kurt made here in 2006.  I'd like to share it with you all below, but BEG you, if you're not a Christian, PLEASE no bashing….just don't say anything.  Not now.  Not as his family and friends are grieving over the loss of a great man.  Just skip it and go to the pictures at the bottom.

"Thoughts on the Current Debate"    Posted by Knute on November 19, 2006 at 17:55:08:

"I took a peek at the board this evening and saw a bad situation turning worse. I feel compelled to weigh in- As a Christian. As a melanoma warrior.

Isn’t it just like our enemy, Satan himself, to divide people who share so much in common.

We’re all fighting a disease that has the potential to take lives. We have all seen friends lose their individual battles.

It hurts like hell! Amidst the medical talk, some dare to share their faith, taking the conversation to the spiritual plane.

This has become a divisive issue in this country that was FOUNDED by men & women who largely held to the teachings of the Bible. The freedoms we enjoy have allowed many belief systems to flourish. There are some areas of common truth that carry across most faiths. There are others that directly contradict one another. Mutually exclusive, they cannot both be true.

The TRUTH has been relegated to debate. Evil becomes good and good becomes evil in the minds of many.

Biblical Christianity… The total depravity of man rears it’s ugly head all around us. God has made a provision that we can look forward to a better aspect of life-

Eternal Life! Living forever in the presence of God! This IS a provisional offer. BG's daughter Leslie was bold enough to speak out that this Heaven is not open to 100% of those who ever breathed life on earth.

One of the most quoted verses in the New Testament is John 3:16-

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life”

Clearly implied in this passage is the “converse” argument- Whoever does NOT believe in Him should perish and NOT have eternal life

Like it or not, that’s what God directed be written in His Word. Hundreds of other verses, both Old & New Testament speak of the same concept

John 3:36 concludes the chapter containing the more “popular” Verse 16 saying:

“Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him”

Doesn’t get any clearer than that!!

I too am an evangelical Christian, a “fully devoted follower” of Jesus Christ.

There is a right way and a wrong way to share one’s faith. Offering to pray for someone who has posted a need is VERY appropriate.

The MPIP family is being divided by some that are rejecting the Son. The consequences for them are frightening.

Is it not the responsibility of those who DO know the truth to sound a clear warning?

If a neighbor’s home was engulfed in flames early some winter morning, would you not try to rouse them from sleep?

Christians, literally translated "Little Christs" have been given the responsiblity of being God's Public Relations Department. It's called "The Great Commission" and is taught by Jesus Himself in the Book of Matthew- "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations…"

That is what is happening when people take the bold step of transforming a situation or conversation to one of eternal significance. Occasionally some toes are stepped on. Would we shrink from our "marching orders" in fear that we might offend someone?

Romans 1:16 "I am not ashamed of the gospel because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes"

The apostle Paul wrote these words around 2000 years ago during his third missionary journey.

In 2006 I am also not ashamed to speak the Words of God!

BUT, BUT, BUT. Is this the right place? Every day new people come here for information, for assurance. They are scared, they are confused, they are where we were 2 years ago when my own dermatolgist said the words, "We need to talk" in regard to the latest biopsy. Can we all agree to keep the Off Topic and the Main Board separate? I realize that this post is going to the Main Board, but that is where the current debate is happening.

2 years ago I found myself on MPIP for the first time. I received SO much valuable support as I learned about wide incisions and sentinal nodes and interferon and, yes, the power of prayer. It pains me to think that someone in the future might miss out on this conduit of vital information if we continue to engage in open warfare.

Dare I say, "Amen"??"

Kurt, I love you, my Norwegian friend.  I know Heaven is rejoicing and you are now walking on those beautiful streets of gold.   I will miss you, forever and always, until we meet again.  ~L~

Our first meeting and hug.  That hug will last a lifetime.

I dared him to wear his Viking hat.  He did! 

Of course, then *I* had to try it on….

He also brought his wooden stein…. Cheers!!

Pam and Kurt… I forgot what kind of hat she had on her head, but isn't she just cute as a bug?

Pam and Kah-nute… my favorite pic of the two of them!

Viewing 53 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bonnie Lea
        Participant

I will remember him forever.  We had many laughs over a certain 'other site' we both began our quest in search of melanoma information.

God keep you Kurt and Pam and the family that are here waiting.  I can bet you will brighten any ones heart when we remind ourselves of just who you were.

Peace to you my brother

Bonnie Lea Evans

Bonnie Lea
          Participant

I will remember him forever.  We had many laughs over a certain 'other site' we both began our quest in search of melanoma information.

God keep you Kurt and Pam and the family that are here waiting.  I can bet you will brighten any ones heart when we remind ourselves of just who you were.

Peace to you my brother

Bonnie Lea Evans

Sherron
              Participant

I am so very sorry for the loss of Knute.  He brought much life to the MPIP, and much knowledge, and faith.  I am glad he is no longer is pain.  I pray for peace for his family and his close friends here.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Sherron
                Participant

I am so very sorry for the loss of Knute.  He brought much life to the MPIP, and much knowledge, and faith.  I am glad he is no longer is pain.  I pray for peace for his family and his close friends here.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Sharyn
                Participant

What a sad day this is indeed! Kurt was such an inspiration to so many of us, not only for his unshakeable faith, but for his love of life, his hope, his fight. My thoughts and prayers are going out to Pam, Kenda, and his entire family, that they will somehow find peace and comfort after such a devastating loss. Although I never met Kurt personally, I will miss his positivity, wisdom and fine character here on the board. Thank-you Lisa for posting this, and for the lovely pics as well.

Sincerely

Sharyn

Stage IV, Ipi trial

Sharyn
                  Participant

What a sad day this is indeed! Kurt was such an inspiration to so many of us, not only for his unshakeable faith, but for his love of life, his hope, his fight. My thoughts and prayers are going out to Pam, Kenda, and his entire family, that they will somehow find peace and comfort after such a devastating loss. Although I never met Kurt personally, I will miss his positivity, wisdom and fine character here on the board. Thank-you Lisa for posting this, and for the lovely pics as well.

Sincerely

Sharyn

Stage IV, Ipi trial

TAC
                    Participant

A man who knew what he believed, was unafraid to express it and reached out to those who may have a different belief or no belief with kindness and love. We shall miss him. Blessings to all of his family and friends.

TAC
                      Participant

A man who knew what he believed, was unafraid to express it and reached out to those who may have a different belief or no belief with kindness and love. We shall miss him. Blessings to all of his family and friends.

lhaley
                        Participant

How truly sad. Knute was an inspiration to many. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, during this time their faith will serve them well and know that Kurt is no longer in pain.

Lisa, you gave Kurt a beautiful eulogy by posting his thoughts and the pictures.

Linda

lhaley
                          Participant

How truly sad. Knute was an inspiration to many. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, during this time their faith will serve them well and know that Kurt is no longer in pain.

Lisa, you gave Kurt a beautiful eulogy by posting his thoughts and the pictures.

Linda

leni currie
                            Participant

Ahh the Grand Haven, Michigan Bash of 2005 – those memories are forever in my heart and soul – my memory is Knute leading the way with a quick run – arm extended – yelling CHARGE!  And charge ahead he did – a fine warrior with a most loving and supportive family and friends – may his memory be eternal.

leni currie
                              Participant

Ahh the Grand Haven, Michigan Bash of 2005 – those memories are forever in my heart and soul – my memory is Knute leading the way with a quick run – arm extended – yelling CHARGE!  And charge ahead he did – a fine warrior with a most loving and supportive family and friends – may his memory be eternal.

King
                                Participant

Kurt and Pam were amazing warriors.  Thank you to Kurt and his family for participating in such tough clinical trials.  Hopefully, some people will benefit from the findings.   Kurt and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.  Rest in peace.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                                  Participant

Kurt and Pam were amazing warriors.  Thank you to Kurt and his family for participating in such tough clinical trials.  Hopefully, some people will benefit from the findings.   Kurt and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.  Rest in peace.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

JoanR
                                    Participant

Thank you for that wonderful tribute,  it will be such a comfort for Pam. It captures the essence of Kurt. This wonderful man and warrior will be sadly missed. I know Pam will be comforted knowing her love and support were reason Kurt was able to fight the fight he did. My thoughts go out to Pam.

JoanR
                                      Participant

Thank you for that wonderful tribute,  it will be such a comfort for Pam. It captures the essence of Kurt. This wonderful man and warrior will be sadly missed. I know Pam will be comforted knowing her love and support were reason Kurt was able to fight the fight he did. My thoughts go out to Pam.

babybluiz
                                        Participant

I am so sorry to hear the loss of this wonderful WARRIOR. Wish I had the opportunity to get know him. My thoughts and prayers are with Pam and the family through this horrible time.

Laura 

babybluiz
                                          Participant

I am so sorry to hear the loss of this wonderful WARRIOR. Wish I had the opportunity to get know him. My thoughts and prayers are with Pam and the family through this horrible time.

Laura 

debbieVA
                                            Participant

I just talked to Pam, Kurts wife.  Arrangements are in the process of being set in place.  Visitation will be Thursday with services on Friday.  Pam requested in lieu of flowers, donations be made to MRF in his name…fighting Melanoma to the end.  

She said yesterday was very peaceful.  At the hospice center all rooms open up to a beautiful patio on a park-like setting.  They spent the better part of the day outside ….  While out, a deer came out to feed, ever so close to Kurt.  Beautiful memory   of a beautiful guy!  

If any would like to send a card, pls E-mail me for their address.  [email protected]

Debbie Stage 4 NED

/Users/randyhennessy/Desktop/IMG_5816.JPG
                                              debbieVA
                                              Participant

I just talked to Pam, Kurts wife.  Arrangements are in the process of being set in place.  Visitation will be Thursday with services on Friday.  Pam requested in lieu of flowers, donations be made to MRF in his name…fighting Melanoma to the end.  

She said yesterday was very peaceful.  At the hospice center all rooms open up to a beautiful patio on a park-like setting.  They spent the better part of the day outside ….  While out, a deer came out to feed, ever so close to Kurt.  Beautiful memory   of a beautiful guy!  

If any would like to send a card, pls E-mail me for their address.  [email protected]

Debbie Stage 4 NED

/Users/randyhennessy/Desktop/IMG_5816.JPG
                                                jag
                                                Participant

God be with you Knute

John

jag
                                                  Participant

God be with you Knute

John

BethA in VA
                                                    Participant

I'm very sorry to hear this.  Love the pictures.  My sympathy to you and his family.  Beth

BethA in VA
                                                      Participant

I'm very sorry to hear this.  Love the pictures.  My sympathy to you and his family.  Beth

Tim–MRF

We knew this was coming, but it is still a very sad thing. Kurt fought this monster tooth and nail.  His faith and courage were inspirational.  The world is a bit sadder and dimmer for his passing, but many, many people will live better and longer because of the support and counsel he offered.  Not a bad legacy.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

We knew this was coming, but it is still a very sad thing. Kurt fought this monster tooth and nail.  His faith and courage were inspirational.  The world is a bit sadder and dimmer for his passing, but many, many people will live better and longer because of the support and counsel he offered.  Not a bad legacy.

Tim–MRF

acyr
                                                            Participant

I am so sorry to hear of his passing.  He was and will continue to be a great warrior and inspiration to all of us.  He faced every trial with such a sense of humour and positive outlook.  We will all miss him greatly

Annette

IIIB

acyr
                                                              Participant

I am so sorry to hear of his passing.  He was and will continue to be a great warrior and inspiration to all of us.  He faced every trial with such a sense of humour and positive outlook.  We will all miss him greatly

Annette

IIIB

MichaelFL
                                                                Participant

Over the last two years I read and exchanged many posts and happy times with Kurt. I will miss "Knute's notes."

Rest in peace friend. You will be sorely missed here.

Michael

MichaelFL
                                                                  Participant

Over the last two years I read and exchanged many posts and happy times with Kurt. I will miss "Knute's notes."

Rest in peace friend. You will be sorely missed here.

Michael

KellieSue
                                                                    Participant

I really looked forward to Knutes posts. He was so positive and such a wonderful asset to the board.

Thank you for posting the pictures.

Kellie(from Iowa), Stage IV

KellieSue
                                                                      Participant

I really looked forward to Knutes posts. He was so positive and such a wonderful asset to the board.

Thank you for posting the pictures.

Kellie(from Iowa), Stage IV

ValinMtl
                                                                        Participant

Thank you Lisa for this beautiful tribute including Kurt's own words of wisdom. Here are some words written by amother very wise man that I hope will provide comfort to Pam and her family during this very sad time, I know they always aid me during diificult times.  Val xx

WHAT IS DYING?

I am standing on the sea shore.
                                                                          A ship at my side spreads her white sails to                                                                                                             the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.

She is an object of beauty and I stand and                                                                                                             watch her until at last she fades on the horizon.

Then someone at my side says
                                                                          "There she has gone" – gone where?
                                                                          Gone from my sight – that is all.
                                                                          She is just as large in the mast, hull and spars                                                                                                           as she was when she left my side.

The diminished size and total loss of sight                                                                                                                  is in me and not in her, and just at that moment                                                                                                     when someone by my side says  "she's gone"

Others on a distant shore take up
                                                                          the glad shout –
                                                                          "There she comes!"

And that is dying

Bishop Brent
                                                                          Bishop of the Philippines

1862 – 1929

ValinMtl
                                                                          Participant

Thank you Lisa for this beautiful tribute including Kurt's own words of wisdom. Here are some words written by amother very wise man that I hope will provide comfort to Pam and her family during this very sad time, I know they always aid me during diificult times.  Val xx

WHAT IS DYING?

I am standing on the sea shore.
                                                                            A ship at my side spreads her white sails to                                                                                                             the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.

She is an object of beauty and I stand and                                                                                                             watch her until at last she fades on the horizon.

Then someone at my side says
                                                                            "There she has gone" – gone where?
                                                                            Gone from my sight – that is all.
                                                                            She is just as large in the mast, hull and spars                                                                                                           as she was when she left my side.

The diminished size and total loss of sight                                                                                                                  is in me and not in her, and just at that moment                                                                                                     when someone by my side says  "she's gone"

Others on a distant shore take up
                                                                            the glad shout –
                                                                            "There she comes!"

And that is dying

Bishop Brent
                                                                            Bishop of the Philippines

1862 – 1929

molly
                                                                            Participant

What a legacy Knute has left here. He will be missed by all of his MPIP friends and warriors. Thoughts and prayers to Pam and all of his family and friends.

molly
                                                                              Participant

What a legacy Knute has left here. He will be missed by all of his MPIP friends and warriors. Thoughts and prayers to Pam and all of his family and friends.

Fen
                                                                                Participant

Knute will be missed by many, many people.   A special man who touched all who knew him – or knew of him.

Fen
                                                                                  Participant

Knute will be missed by many, many people.   A special man who touched all who knew him – or knew of him.

JennerFromIowa
                                                                                    Participant

So very sorry to hear this.  My sincere sympathy to all of his family and friends.  He will be missed.  Soar with the angels Knute.

JennerFromIowa
                                                                                      Participant

So very sorry to hear this.  My sincere sympathy to all of his family and friends.  He will be missed.  Soar with the angels Knute.

Jaime.30
                                                                                        Participant

I am new to this board so I did not have the pleasure of meeting this clearly wonderful man.  I extend my deepest condolences to the family and friends of this beloved man.

Jaime.30
                                                                                          Participant

I am new to this board so I did not have the pleasure of meeting this clearly wonderful man.  I extend my deepest condolences to the family and friends of this beloved man.

JuleFL
                                                                                            Participant

My deepest sympathy for your loss.  Thank you for posting the lovely words and pictures.  In the midst of sadness, you made me smile.

Jule (wife of Cal – hope Knute bumps into him in heaven)

JuleFL
                                                                                              Participant

My deepest sympathy for your loss.  Thank you for posting the lovely words and pictures.  In the midst of sadness, you made me smile.

Jule (wife of Cal – hope Knute bumps into him in heaven)

PSD
                                                                                                Participant

We have lost a caring and giving soul. I am so sorry for his war and suffering with melanoma. May peace be with him now.  I will keep his wife wife, Pam and the rest of his family in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. 

Pamela

PSD
                                                                                                  Participant

We have lost a caring and giving soul. I am so sorry for his war and suffering with melanoma. May peace be with him now.  I will keep his wife wife, Pam and the rest of his family in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. 

Pamela

Jim M.
                                                                                                    Participant

I wish I could have met Kurt. He was such an inspiration for us all. I so admire his openness to share the Christian faith. I pray for guidance, strength and His peace for his family and all loved ones during this time of grief. We who are followers of Jesus Christ know that melanoma can NEVER win. Nothing can win over Christ's love for us who gives us eternal life. Melanoma or whatever infermity we can think of has NO power over us. We rest in Christ's power. That's exactly what Kurt is doing now. Only I don't think he's resting. I think he's rejoicing with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and all the angels!! Hope to see you in the future Kurt!!

God Bless to all

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                                                                      Participant

I wish I could have met Kurt. He was such an inspiration for us all. I so admire his openness to share the Christian faith. I pray for guidance, strength and His peace for his family and all loved ones during this time of grief. We who are followers of Jesus Christ know that melanoma can NEVER win. Nothing can win over Christ's love for us who gives us eternal life. Melanoma or whatever infermity we can think of has NO power over us. We rest in Christ's power. That's exactly what Kurt is doing now. Only I don't think he's resting. I think he's rejoicing with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and all the angels!! Hope to see you in the future Kurt!!

God Bless to all

Jim M.

Lauren mom to Jenna
                                                                                                        Participant

Jenna and I had the pleasure of meeting Kurt at NIH a year ago.  He was an inspiration to us, and a kick to meet in person.  Now we will look forward to meeting up with him again "out of person".  Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. 

Lauren (mom to Jenna)

Lauren mom to Jenna
                                                                                                          Participant

Jenna and I had the pleasure of meeting Kurt at NIH a year ago.  He was an inspiration to us, and a kick to meet in person.  Now we will look forward to meeting up with him again "out of person".  Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. 

Lauren (mom to Jenna)

SuzannefromCA
                                                                                                            Participant

Kenda, I did not know your dad, but everytime I would come on the board, I always saw his name. I wish you and your family strength as you go through this difficult time. Your dad looks like the nicest man. He will forever be remembered.

Suzanne (stage IV warrior)

SuzannefromCA
                                                                                                              Participant

Kenda, I did not know your dad, but everytime I would come on the board, I always saw his name. I wish you and your family strength as you go through this difficult time. Your dad looks like the nicest man. He will forever be remembered.

SuzannefromCA
                                                                                                                Participant

SuzannefromCA
                                                                                                                  Participant

Rocklove
                                                                                                                    Participant

Amen, God is good.

Knute will be missed by so many of us.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

Rocklove
                                                                                                                      Participant

Amen, God is good.

Knute will be missed by so many of us.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

Viewing 53 reply threads
                                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics