The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Wonderful news!

Forums General Melanoma Community Wonderful news!

Participant

Hi!  We just received news yesterday morning that Derek is a late responder to ipi! 

His last injection was Aug 10 and follow up scans showed both larger mets and new mets in liver, a new met behind eye, and a larger one in lung.  He was given immediate radiation to eye and lung for 5 days because the met in lung was encasing his bronchial tube and he could hardly breathe and after that they suggested chemo for palliative care and he was given 2-3 mos. 

Hi!  We just received news yesterday morning that Derek is a late responder to ipi! 

His last injection was Aug 10 and follow up scans showed both larger mets and new mets in liver, a new met behind eye, and a larger one in lung.  He was given immediate radiation to eye and lung for 5 days because the met in lung was encasing his bronchial tube and he could hardly breathe and after that they suggested chemo for palliative care and he was given 2-3 mos. 

We contacted NCI for TIL immediately and after 1st visit we were told he needed to wait 3 wks for radiation to work in lung and steroids to get out of his system.  On pins and needles we returned home and waited, Derek had to redo a pulmonary function test and be rescanned at home before he was able to return – I think they had given up on him but strangely enough the radiation worked on his lung and his breathing test was much better so he was admitted to NCI on Sunday had an MRI on Monday – brain was clear, spent yesterday morning with the surgeon, etc to get ready for liver surgery today – in the meantime I had sent his scan to Toronto to be compared with his ipi scans on off chance he was a late responder (I wasn't holding out much hope but you just have to do these things). 

Derek had left for Washington with his dad on Sunday and yesterday I received a call from our oncologist in Toronto with the best news – he had just received the scan and said the radiologist confirmed that one met in his liver appears to be stable, several mets have decreased by 50%, and still others have disappeared into the haze!

They contacted Washington and Derek was released (just before surgery!) – so he is on his way home today! 

We are happy and guarded – not knowing what to expect next and stunned by the only good news we have received in over 5 years – 3 babies and several treatments, clinical trials, major surgeries, and minor surgeries later it is hard to know what to do or think!

Thank-you to so many of you for your thoughts and prayers!

I will keep you updated!

Viewing 53 reply threads
    • Replies
        shellebrownies
        Participant

This is fantastic news! I am so happy for you! We are praying for our own ipi miracle, so it great to hear success stories like yours. smiley

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
          Participant

This is fantastic news! I am so happy for you! We are praying for our own ipi miracle, so it great to hear success stories like yours. smiley

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
            Participant

Michelle, wife of Don

Gene_S
              Participant

That is great news.  I am so happy for Derek and the family.  My prayers are that he keeps responding.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver) and Gene (the patient)

Gene_S
                Participant

That is great news.  I am so happy for Derek and the family.  My prayers are that he keeps responding.

Gene_S
                  Participant

FormerCaregiver
                    Participant

Terra, this is truly excellent news!! You and Derek remain in my prayers.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                      Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                        Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

jim Breitfeller
                          Participant

Tera,

Congrats on Derek being a responder to Yervoy

Aug10 = day 63 of Yervoy therapy. If you add two months to that time you get approx. (60 day) + 1 week to bring you to about Oct 18th. 63+60+7=  130 days to tumor shrinkage.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZkKD3zog9FQ/Tp7AX7qd1cI/AAAAAAAAAjk/cjqReUDy9ks/s1600/Yervoy%2Bdosing%2Bassessment%2Bschedule%2B2011.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8-uZNZRC1ww/Tp7C_BybU6I/AAAAAAAAAjw/7nSBuCbUonw/s1600/Yervoy%2B4%2Bdoses%2B10-19-2011.jpg

I wish you and Derek all the best

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                            Participant

Tera,

Aug10 = day 63 of Yervoy therapy. If you add two months to that time you get approx. (60 day) + 1 week to bring you to about Oct 18th. 63+60+7=  130 days to tumor shrinkage.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZkKD3zog9FQ/Tp7AX7qd1cI/AAAAAAAAAjk/cjqReUDy9ks/s1600/Yervoy%2Bdosing%2Bassessment%2Bschedule%2B2011.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8-uZNZRC1ww/Tp7C_BybU6I/AAAAAAAAAjw/7nSBuCbUonw/s1600/Yervoy%2B4%2Bdoses%2B10-19-2011.jpg

Jimmy B

Lisa13
                                Participant

Terra,

Congratulations on this wonderful news!  I'm so happy for you and your family!  Derek must thrilled!  This is why it's important to always remain positive and never give up.  ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope Derek's tumours keep shrinking and remains stable for a long time.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                  Participant

Terra,

Congratulations on this wonderful news!  I'm so happy for you and your family!  Derek must thrilled!  This is why it's important to always remain positive and never give up.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Lisa

Lisa13
                                    Participant

Terra,

Lisa

jim Breitfeller
                                    Participant

Tera,

Jimmy B

justlittleoleme
                                      Participant

Woohoo!!!

Great news!

justlittleoleme
                                        Participant

Woohoo!!!

Great news!

justlittleoleme
                                          Participant

Woohoo!!!

Great news!

NYKaren
                                            Participant

Fantastic news.  I'm so happy for you and Derek!

NYKaren
                                              Participant

NYKaren
                                                Participant

TracyLee
                                                  Participant

Terra,

I was so excited to read your post!

God is good, prayer works, go hug Derek and your girls! Enjoy this happy, happy news, you both deserve it!

TracyLee

Stage IV May 2011

TracyLee
                                                    Participant

Terra,

God is good, prayer works, go hug Derek and your girls! Enjoy this happy, happy news, you both deserve it!

TracyLee

Stage IV May 2011

TracyLee
                                                      Participant

Terra,

TracyLee

Stage IV May 2011

Rebecca and Bob
                                                        Participant

Terra,

Great news! You both deserve and break and hopefully only more good news to come.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                                          Participant

Terra,

Great news! You both deserve and break and hopefully only more good news to come.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                                            Participant

Terra,

Rebecca

mombase
                                                              Participant

That is SO awesome, Terra! May continued tumor elimination come Derek's way!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                                                Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                                                  Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

Carol Taylor
                                                                    Participant

Terra,

I am so thrilled for you, Derek, and your family! A true hallelujah moment! Prayers for many more.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                                                      Participant

Terra,

I am so thrilled for you, Derek, and your family! A true hallelujah moment! Prayers for many more.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                                                        Participant

Terra,

Grace and peace,

Carol

lhaley
                                                                          Participant

I am so thrilled to hear good news. Keep it up.

Blessings to your family to continue improving and enjoying life.

linda

lhaley
                                                                            Participant

linda

lhaley
                                                                              Participant

linda

James from Sydney
                                                                                Participant

Dear Terra the emotions you guys are going through must be unbelievable, i am so so happy for you both. 

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                                                                                  Participant

Dear Terra the emotions you guys are going through must be unbelievable, i am so so happy for you both. 

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                                                                                    Participant

best wishes

James

jag
                                                                                      Participant

Terra, that is great news! Chest bump Derek for me, and I hope the late responding keeps responding.

John

jag
                                                                                        Participant

Terra, that is great news! Chest bump Derek for me, and I hope the late responding keeps responding.

John

jag
                                                                                          Participant

John

Jim M.
                                                                                            Participant

Terra,

I am so excited for you and Derek. I will be praying for continued and durable response from Yervoy!

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                                                              Participant

Terra,

I am so excited for you and Derek. I will be praying for continued and durable response from Yervoy!

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                                                                Participant

Terra,

God Bless,

Jim M.

triciad
                                                                                                  Participant

I just love good news before going to bed.  Tonight I will have happy dreams.  Congratulations on the wonderful news and I pray Derek is on the road to NED.  You wil be in my thougts and prayers…keep smiling!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                                                    Participant

I just love good news before going to bed.  Tonight I will have happy dreams.  Congratulations on the wonderful news and I pray Derek is on the road to NED.  You wil be in my thougts and prayers…keep smiling!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                                                      Participant

Tricia

ValinMtl
                                                                                                        Participant

Terra, what wonderful news.  I am so happy for you, Derek and your young family…I pray good news may go on forever and ever.  Val xx

ValinMtl
                                                                                                          Participant

Terra, what wonderful news.  I am so happy for you, Derek and your young family…I pray good news may go on forever and ever.  Val xx

ValinMtl
                                                                                                            Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                              Participant

WOW, LOVE to hear such reports.  Sounds  like y'all are in the situation like me, I keep looking up and saying what have YOU kept me here to do?  Figure he must have someting more for me to do on this earth!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                Participant

WOW, LOVE to hear such reports.  Sounds  like y'all are in the situation like me, I keep looking up and saying what have YOU kept me here to do?  Figure he must have someting more for me to do on this earth!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                  Participant

MariaH
                                                                                                                    Participant

So very very very happy for you both!  And thank you so much for sharing.  It gives so many others hope.

May he continue to respond for a long time to come ๐Ÿ™‚

Best wishes,

Maria

MariaH
                                                                                                                      Participant

So very very very happy for you both!  And thank you so much for sharing.  It gives so many others hope.

Best wishes,

Maria

MariaH
                                                                                                                        Participant

Best wishes,

Maria

Viewing 53 reply threads
                                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics