The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on Jerry Ellis…..

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on Jerry Ellis…..

Participant

All I can say is…Jerry is one tough Son of a gun.  This former Marine hasn't let Stage 4 Mel get the best of him…nor was he about to let an unbelievable horseback riding accident either!  His daughter got a message thru to me via fb…that he wanted to talk to me.  I called earlier this afternoon.  Jerry was up in a wheelchair and had just returned to his room following a successful  'swallow test'.  He had his trach and feeding tube  removed yesterday and will now be able to eat real food.

All I can say is…Jerry is one tough Son of a gun.  This former Marine hasn't let Stage 4 Mel get the best of him…nor was he about to let an unbelievable horseback riding accident either!  His daughter got a message thru to me via fb…that he wanted to talk to me.  I called earlier this afternoon.  Jerry was up in a wheelchair and had just returned to his room following a successful  'swallow test'.  He had his trach and feeding tube  removed yesterday and will now be able to eat real food.   He was alert, oriented, laughing and generally happy with the outcome.  He is able to walk to the bathroom with the help of a walker and thankfully has no memory of the accident.  

God is good….

debbieVA

Viewing 25 reply threads
    • Replies
        King
        Participant

All I can say is "WOW"!!!

Stay Strong
          Kathie

King
          Participant

All I can say is "WOW"!!!

Stay Strong
            Kathie

dian in spokane
            Participant

DIVA!! what great news!

I was delighted today to see pictures of Jerry sitting up in his wheelchair, typing on a laptop. I can't help but think that SOON he'll be posting here himself.

But hearing that he's got his trach tube out and he's talking and laughing, that makes me so happy.

wonderful news.

dian

dian in spokane
              Participant

DIVA!! what great news!

I was delighted today to see pictures of Jerry sitting up in his wheelchair, typing on a laptop. I can't help but think that SOON he'll be posting here himself.

But hearing that he's got his trach tube out and he's talking and laughing, that makes me so happy.

wonderful news.

dian

LV
                Participant

Thanks so much for posting! I'm just thrilled to hear this!

LV
                  Participant

Thanks so much for posting! I'm just thrilled to hear this!

lhaley
                    Participant

Thanks for the post Debbie! I've been following along on his fb and saw the great picture of him on his laptop. Jerry is an amazing man that isn't going to let a little ole horse get him down!!  I am glad that he has no memory of the horrific accident.

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

Thanks for the post Debbie! I've been following along on his fb and saw the great picture of him on his laptop. Jerry is an amazing man that isn't going to let a little ole horse get him down!!  I am glad that he has no memory of the horrific accident.

Linda

Kevin from Atlanta
                        Participant

God bless that stubborn bastard.

Semper Fi

Kevin from Atlanta
                          Participant

God bless that stubborn bastard.

Semper Fi

DebbieH
                            Participant

Thanks for letting us know this amazing, wonderful news, Deb!  He sure IS one tough guy! 

Can't wait for you to start posting yourself, Jerry!

Deb

DebbieH
                              Participant

Thanks for letting us know this amazing, wonderful news, Deb!  He sure IS one tough guy! 

Can't wait for you to start posting yourself, Jerry!

Deb

PSD
                                Participant

Truly amazing! Jerry is always so helpful here. I am relieved to hear such good news!

Pam 1b

PSD
                                  Participant

Truly amazing! Jerry is always so helpful here. I am relieved to hear such good news!

Pam 1b

leni currie
                                    Participant

That would be Jerry!  One tough man with an amazing fighting spirit – thanks Debbie for keeping us updated.

leni currie
                                      Participant

That would be Jerry!  One tough man with an amazing fighting spirit – thanks Debbie for keeping us updated.

tanyasteve
                                        Participant

UPDATE:  tried to get dad to post something here the other day but he is having trouble remembering his password. I will have him use mine until he gets his username to work again. He is doing great. He really loves reading all your wonderful posts and getting phone calls. He did PT/OT today, the therapist said most people can get to about 2 minutes on  the hand bike their first time to the gym…she had to stop him at 10 mintues and 10seconds (who knows how long he would have kept going!). She had him try some problem solving puzzles and he had more trouble there but it is coming back slowly. thanks for keeping him in your prayers. And Dian thank you for the cd, playing it for dad now.

dian in spokane
                                            Participant

Tanya,

You might try just opening an new ID for Jerry, something like..JerryE, an entirely new name, for him to use temporarily until he can get a new password, or remember or find his password. I'm so glad your dad is still improving!

dian

dian in spokane
                                              Participant

Tanya,

You might try just opening an new ID for Jerry, something like..JerryE, an entirely new name, for him to use temporarily until he can get a new password, or remember or find his password. I'm so glad your dad is still improving!

dian

tanyasteve
                                              Participant

UPDATE:  tried to get dad to post something here the other day but he is having trouble remembering his password. I will have him use mine until he gets his username to work again. He is doing great. He really loves reading all your wonderful posts and getting phone calls. He did PT/OT today, the therapist said most people can get to about 2 minutes on  the hand bike their first time to the gym…she had to stop him at 10 mintues and 10seconds (who knows how long he would have kept going!). She had him try some problem solving puzzles and he had more trouble there but it is coming back slowly. thanks for keeping him in your prayers. And Dian thank you for the cd, playing it for dad now.

kwahlbin

That is great news!  Thank you for keeping us updated on Jerry's status.  -Kathy

kwahlbin

That is great news!  Thank you for keeping us updated on Jerry's status.  -Kathy

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                    Participant

Charlie S is traveling around the country via AMTRAK.  Has plans to stop off in Colorado.  He's looking to get a phone number to arrange a possible SURPRISE visit to Jerry.

If anyone has a number for a member of Jerry's family please email me using the contact form on my profile.  I'll get the info off to Charlie.

Thanks,

Jerry from Cape Cod

tanyasteve
                                                        Participant

Update: dad was just assessed to be moved to an Acute Rehab facility. He was told he is too good for that! He can brush his own teeth and hair, shower alone(not that he minds having the nurses help!! LOL), dress himself, and walk 3x the distance that they require. He is now looking at being released to do home rehab with a therapist. Go dad!!!! He does still get a little out of sorts at night but he is doing 120% better than we thought even a week ago.

tanyasteve
                                                          Participant

Update: dad was just assessed to be moved to an Acute Rehab facility. He was told he is too good for that! He can brush his own teeth and hair, shower alone(not that he minds having the nurses help!! LOL), dress himself, and walk 3x the distance that they require. He is now looking at being released to do home rehab with a therapist. Go dad!!!! He does still get a little out of sorts at night but he is doing 120% better than we thought even a week ago.

tanyasteve
                                                            Participant

I am not the techie that dad is and can't seem to find a way to send that phone number! Those of you with the number please forward it on to Jim or Charlie please.

on another note, dad made a comment about why he (and Jane) were doing silly things like riding horses while they fight cancer that I thought I should post here. He said, "there is no point to surviving if your not living too!" AMEN and well said.

tanyasteve
                                                              Participant

I am not the techie that dad is and can't seem to find a way to send that phone number! Those of you with the number please forward it on to Jim or Charlie please.

on another note, dad made a comment about why he (and Jane) were doing silly things like riding horses while they fight cancer that I thought I should post here. He said, "there is no point to surviving if your not living too!" AMEN and well said.

Bonnie Lea
                                                                Participant

Oh I am so happy to read this update.  thankyou

Bonnie Lea
                                                                  Participant

Oh I am so happy to read this update.  thankyou

tanyasteve
                                                                    Participant

Hey Jane, when should we schedule our next horse riding trip???

-Jerry

dian in spokane
                                                                      Participant

JERRY!!!!!! I've been waiting and waiting and WAITING for you to post something yourself!!!

So has everyone else! and here you go and bury it at the bottom of another thread!!

Open a new post guy, and say hello to all your friends. People will go apeshit nuts when they see you are posting.

WELCOME BACK BIG GUY!

xoxoxoxo,

Dian

dian in spokane
                                                                        Participant

JERRY!!!!!! I've been waiting and waiting and WAITING for you to post something yourself!!!

So has everyone else! and here you go and bury it at the bottom of another thread!!

Open a new post guy, and say hello to all your friends. People will go apeshit nuts when they see you are posting.

WELCOME BACK BIG GUY!

xoxoxoxo,

Dian

tanyasteve
                                                                          Participant

Hey Jane, when should we schedule our next horse riding trip???

-Jerry

Jim in Denver
                                                                            Participant

Hi Jerry,

I have a phone number to contact Jerry Ellis'  family, but will not post it here, so you will have to contact me at:

[email protected]

I can't figure out the "contact form on my profile", so this is the best I can do to help.

Jim

Jim in Denver
                                                                              Participant

Hi Jerry,

I have a phone number to contact Jerry Ellis'  family, but will not post it here, so you will have to contact me at:

[email protected]

I can't figure out the "contact form on my profile", so this is the best I can do to help.

Jim

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                                              Participant

Charlie S is traveling around the country via AMTRAK.  Has plans to stop off in Colorado.  He's looking to get a phone number to arrange a possible SURPRISE visit to Jerry.

If anyone has a number for a member of Jerry's family please email me using the contact form on my profile.  I'll get the info off to Charlie.

Thanks,

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                                                Participant

WAY TO GO JERRY!!!smiley

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                                                  Participant

WAY TO GO JERRY!!!smiley

Jerry from Cape Cod

molly
                                                                                    Participant

Jerry,

Absolutely WONDERFUL to see you posting!!! I agree with Dian…start a new post…..so EVERYONE can see the great news first hand. Take care and keep the posts coming.

molly

molly
                                                                                      Participant

Jerry,

Absolutely WONDERFUL to see you posting!!! I agree with Dian…start a new post…..so EVERYONE can see the great news first hand. Take care and keep the posts coming.

molly

Viewing 25 reply threads
                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics