The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Our Friend Val in Montreal

Forums General Melanoma Community Our Friend Val in Montreal

Participant

Hello everyone,

Hello everyone,

I just received a call from Val's husband in Montreal to let us know tha Val passed away yesterday.  I am so very sadened by this news.  I had been in touch with Val for the last 4 years – she was just a wonderful and giving person – so full of life and enjoying her family and grandchild.  She was truly beautiful inside and out.  She never really got a break from this disease, but I never heard her complain or become bitter by her situation.  She kept fighting until the very last.  Most recently she had been on the TIL trial at NCI – she spoke very highly of the doctors and care staff!  She valued so much the support and community that she found here on this website.  I know she will be looking up our friend Sharyn in a better place and they will be able to enjoy each other's company with out pain or worry of disease.

Raise a glass or say a prayer in her honour – it was was truly an privelege to know her.

Annette

Chair, Melanoma Network of Canada

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        Vermont_Donna
        Participant

Hi Annette,

Thanks for sharing this news. I too am very saddened by Val's death. I had gotten to know her a bit more outside of the MPIP board, like Sharyn. I had last received an email from Val on 11/20….so that is not that long ago! She asked me to say a prayer for her.

Thanks again,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
          Participant

Hi Annette,

Thanks for sharing this news. I too am very saddened by Val's death. I had gotten to know her a bit more outside of the MPIP board, like Sharyn. I had last received an email from Val on 11/20….so that is not that long ago! She asked me to say a prayer for her.

Thanks again,

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Hi Annette,

Thanks again,

lhaley
              Participant

I am so saddened to hear.  Val had called me a few times to support me while I was originally dealing with the brain mets and have e-mailed with her the last few years.

Val thought that TIL would beat this for her but was such a difficult treatment, especially doing the whole body radiation.

Val has been such a beautiful person to support so many.

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

I am so saddened to hear.  Val had called me a few times to support me while I was originally dealing with the brain mets and have e-mailed with her the last few years.

Val thought that TIL would beat this for her but was such a difficult treatment, especially doing the whole body radiation.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Linda

shellebrownies
                    Participant

So very sad to hear this news about Val. She was always so upbeat; a real fighter. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

Michelle

shellebrownies
                      Participant

So very sad to hear this news about Val. She was always so upbeat; a real fighter. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

Michelle

shellebrownies
                        Participant

Michelle

wgalinat
                          Participant
                            This hurts badly. She was so nice to me for trying to get her into NIH. I was one of the very lucky ones, but I was also treated early on with this cancer. Val was another fighter that followed NEVER GIVE UP. I’m proud to have known her and sorry she wasn’t able to be still with us, and her family. I hate this F’ing cancer so much !!. Warren
                            wgalinat
                            Participant
                              This hurts badly. She was so nice to me for trying to get her into NIH. I was one of the very lucky ones, but I was also treated early on with this cancer. Val was another fighter that followed NEVER GIVE UP. I’m proud to have known her and sorry she wasn’t able to be still with us, and her family. I hate this F’ing cancer so much !!. Warren
                                MariaH
                                Participant

I have no words right now.  I am shocked about her passing.  I'd been in contact with her when Dave was going to NIH to see if he qualified for this trial, and when he didn't, she offered such encouragement to keep looking.  We missed each other there by only minutes – I never got the chance to meet her, but always thought she would beat this – if only by spirit alone.

So, I agree with you Warren, CANCER F'ING SUCKS!!

And to Val, I shall raise a glass in your honor – and I will never, ever forget you…

Maria

MariaH
                                  Participant

I have no words right now.  I am shocked about her passing.  I'd been in contact with her when Dave was going to NIH to see if he qualified for this trial, and when he didn't, she offered such encouragement to keep looking.  We missed each other there by only minutes – I never got the chance to meet her, but always thought she would beat this – if only by spirit alone.

And to Val, I shall raise a glass in your honor – and I will never, ever forget you…

Maria

MariaH
                                    Participant

Maria

wgalinat
                                    Participant
                                      KellieSue
                                      Participant
                                        dammit!!! i hate melanoma so much.

Kellie(from Iowa)

KellieSue
                                        Participant

Kellie(from Iowa)

KellieSue
                                          Participant

Kellie(from Iowa)

MichaelFL
                                            Participant

I remember Val well. Thanks for the post Annette.

Of course, as you have said in the past (and it goes without saying), I hope that you continue to help so many every day. And as you have also said in the past:  An enormous thanks is due to you to for all you have done.

My condolences to her family.

Michael

MichaelFL
                                              Participant

Of course, as you have said in the past (and it goes without saying), I hope that you continue to help so many every day. And as you have also said in the past:  An enormous thanks is due to you to for all you have done.

Michael

MichaelFL
                                                Participant

Michael

FormerCaregiver
                                                  Participant

Annette, I am deeply saddened to read that Val has passed away. TIL treatment can certainly be a difficult challenge for anyone to go through.

She is in my prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                    Participant

Annette, I am deeply saddened to read that Val has passed away. TIL treatment can certainly be a difficult challenge for anyone to go through.

She is in my prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                      Participant

She is in my prayers.

Frank from Australia

deardad
                                                          Participant

So sad to hear that another one is lost. I know many may not believe in the holy scriptures but God promises in John 5:28,29 that there is going to be a resurrection to a life on earth for all those that have passed away. I hold dearly to my heart this hope for all those on this board that have lost this battle.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                                            Participant

So sad to hear that another one is lost. I know many may not believe in the holy scriptures but God promises in John 5:28,29 that there is going to be a resurrection to a life on earth for all those that have passed away. I hold dearly to my heart this hope for all those on this board that have lost this battle.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                                              Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

BonnieLea
                                                              Participant

I am deeply saddened to learn this.  But thank you Annette for telling us.  Deepest condolences to her husband and family.

Bonnie Lea

BonnieLea
                                                                Participant

I am deeply saddened to learn this.  But thank you Annette for telling us.  Deepest condolences to her husband and family.

Bonnie Lea

BonnieLea
                                                                  Participant

Bonnie Lea

boot2aboot
                                                                      Participant

%!@#*! 

this news hurts me to the quick…

i am angry…angry…angry to hear this news…

it's not fair! i hate this evil disease

boots

Vermont_Donna
                                                                        Participant

Hi,

I just got off the phone with Bill, Val's husband. He said that Val DID get a chance to see my melanoma oncologist at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon NH but she was too sick to even complete the tests the doctor needed to have completed before he could qualify her for the treatment (was it a trial??). She couldnt keep anything down and since her return from NIH she had lost 60 pounds. Her leg was a mess with black spots growing every day, and tumors bursting etc. Sounds like Eric's leg. The melanoma tumors had grown in her lower abdomen by then too. Bill said she was a fighter to the end. When the visiting nurses told him they could do no more and he should bring her to the hospital he did and that was 12/5. She died Thursday, 12/8. She didnt speak after Wednesday, but slipped into a deep sleep he said. It is very very sad. He does not know her passwords to her facebook or to MPIP so he cannot read the posts here but I said I would forward all the posts to this thread to him and will keep in touch with him. He said he is not very computer savvy, so this is not a good way to keep in touch with him.

Just thought I would give you all an update.

boot2aboot
                                                                          Participant

she just hadn't been right since NIH…i know they were trying to help her…

i am crying as i write this, but we have to remember that our Val was a hero…how many of us on successful treatments are indebted to others that went before us and used themselves as guinea pigs so that researchers could come up with  more effective drugs? We owe Val to live each day to the fullest

boots

NYKaren
                                                                            Participant

What a terrible loss to a terrible disease.  Val was such a lovely, encouraging woman.

May she rest in peace.

karen

NYKaren
                                                                              Participant

What a terrible loss to a terrible disease.  Val was such a lovely, encouraging woman.

May she rest in peace.

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                Participant

May she rest in peace.

karen

deardad
                                                                                  Participant

I agree with boots….although I am so sad for her family.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                                                                    Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                                                                      Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

boot2aboot
                                                                                        Participant

i am crying as i write this, but we have to remember that our Val was a hero…how many of us on successful treatments are indebted to others that went before us and used themselves as guinea pigs so that researchers could come up with  more effective drugs? We owe Val to live each day to the fullest

boots

boot2aboot
                                                                                          Participant

boots

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                            Participant

Hi,

I just got off the phone with Bill, Val's husband. He said that Val DID get a chance to see my melanoma oncologist at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon NH but she was too sick to even complete the tests the doctor needed to have completed before he could qualify her for the treatment (was it a trial??). She couldnt keep anything down and since her return from NIH she had lost 60 pounds. Her leg was a mess with black spots growing every day, and tumors bursting etc. Sounds like Eric's leg. The melanoma tumors had grown in her lower abdomen by then too. Bill said she was a fighter to the end. When the visiting nurses told him they could do no more and he should bring her to the hospital he did and that was 12/5. She died Thursday, 12/8. She didnt speak after Wednesday, but slipped into a deep sleep he said. It is very very sad. He does not know her passwords to her facebook or to MPIP so he cannot read the posts here but I said I would forward all the posts to this thread to him and will keep in touch with him. He said he is not very computer savvy, so this is not a good way to keep in touch with him.

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                              Participant

Hi,

boot2aboot
                                                                                                Participant

%!@#*! 

boots

boot2aboot
                                                                                                  Participant

%!@#*! 

boots

Jim M.
                                                                                                  Participant

I am saddened once again by yet another wonderful person succumbing to this insidious disease. I conversed with Val a few times and she's the kind of person I wish I would have met. I am thankful she is no more pain and in a better place. I pray for strength, guidance and His peace in the lives of Val's loved ones.

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                                                                    Participant

I am saddened once again by yet another wonderful person succumbing to this insidious disease. I conversed with Val a few times and she's the kind of person I wish I would have met. I am thankful she is no more pain and in a better place. I pray for strength, guidance and His peace in the lives of Val's loved ones.

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                                                                      Participant

Jim M.

momof2kids
                                                                                                        Participant

Wow, like everyone else, I'm so sad to hear this news.  

momof2kids
                                                                                                          Participant

momof2kids
                                                                                                            Participant

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics