The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My. Bad News

Forums General Melanoma Community My. Bad News

Participant

Today, I had my brain MRI appointment to see the gamma knife procedures I had 2 months ago. 1 is gone and the other one is shrinking – so it's good news.  They found 2 small mets today which devastated me, so I have an appointment on Monday to get gamma knife done again. They really want to send me on WBR, but after reading the webinar on Melanoma International, I'm sticking with their opinions. I had 2 and they're gone, so this other 2 will hopefuly go away as well.

Today, I had my brain MRI appointment to see the gamma knife procedures I had 2 months ago. 1 is gone and the other one is shrinking – so it's good news.  They found 2 small mets today which devastated me, so I have an appointment on Monday to get gamma knife done again. They really want to send me on WBR, but after reading the webinar on Melanoma International, I'm sticking with their opinions. I had 2 and they're gone, so this other 2 will hopefuly go away as well. Every 8 weeks, I'll see what comes up and may be lucky to only have 1-2 more arrive for awhile.  You just don't know. 

I'll also be starting ipi again as it shrunk 50% and even some disappeared and now all of a sudden they have marginal growth. My lymphocytes are back up to 1900, so if it can do the job shrinking again, it could also work it's magic inside my brain.

I'm terrified, but I have to believe that sometmes brain mets don't come all the time. I've met numerous people (mostly woman) who had 2-3 and have been hear for 3 and some 5 years.

Lisa

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Lisa,

That is the worst news. I can understand why you are devastated.

I saw a webinar on radiation for Brain mets by Veronica Chiang MD. During that webinar she said that there seems to be a correlation between IPI and getting brain mets. They are going to study that corrreleation further to see if there is any validity.

If I were you, I would consider doing a different treatment than IPI., perhaps Anti-pd1 or an inhibitor drug. Just a suggestion before jumping back into IPI . Why take the chance with IPI again! Some other treatment might work better for you!

Good luck with Gamma Knife. Hopefully, you will not have to stay on steroids or get edema. Wishing you the Best.

Mary

killmel
          Participant

Lisa,

I saw a webinar on radiation for Brain mets by Veronica Chiang MD. During that webinar she said that there seems to be a correlation between IPI and getting brain mets. They are going to study that corrreleation further to see if there is any validity.

If I were you, I would consider doing a different treatment than IPI., perhaps Anti-pd1 or an inhibitor drug. Just a suggestion before jumping back into IPI . Why take the chance with IPI again! Some other treatment might work better for you!

Good luck with Gamma Knife. Hopefully, you will not have to stay on steroids or get edema. Wishing you the Best.

Mary

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi Lisa,

Sorry that the news wasnt an "all clear". I know it is hard when you take the news of two more brain mets and think about your future. But you have had success with the treatments and Ipi can work boosting your immune system for who knows how long. And maybe an Ipi booster is what is needed or something else like Mary suggested. The good news? that you are finding this stuff out EARLY and are dealing with it.

I'll be thinking of you, and sending positive thoughts and cyber hugs!!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Lisa13
                Participant

It's bad news, but that webinar really make me feel hopeful that I could keep this away for a long time. I have 1 currently shrinking in my head and now 2 months later, I have 2 news one (both very small). We have no idea if they'll be more or 1 more and stop for a bit. Everyone's brain situation is extremely different. I think of someone like Jag that proves many things as well as that other girls who had 3 brain tumours and that was 5 years ago!!

I'd like to to the Anti PD-1, but our hospital is trying to put a bunch of people together and won't have any thing for 2 months. I don't want to wait 2 months, unless I find somewhere in the States to go (I live in Toronto, Ontario).   There is also a new brain met treatment they are coming out in our hospital at Princess Margaret, but it sounds like months too.  Even though ipi can cause imflammation in the brain, it's also been shown to shrink them.

Lisa13
                  Participant

It's bad news, but that webinar really make me feel hopeful that I could keep this away for a long time. I have 1 currently shrinking in my head and now 2 months later, I have 2 news one (both very small). We have no idea if they'll be more or 1 more and stop for a bit. Everyone's brain situation is extremely different. I think of someone like Jag that proves many things as well as that other girls who had 3 brain tumours and that was 5 years ago!!

I'd like to to the Anti PD-1, but our hospital is trying to put a bunch of people together and won't have any thing for 2 months. I don't want to wait 2 months, unless I find somewhere in the States to go (I live in Toronto, Ontario).   There is also a new brain met treatment they are coming out in our hospital at Princess Margaret, but it sounds like months too.  Even though ipi can cause imflammation in the brain, it's also been shown to shrink them.

Lisa13
                    Participant

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Lisa,

My oncologist is doing an anti PD-1 trial at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon NH. You may want to check that trial out, or let me know if you want me to. Dr Marc Ernstoff is the doctor.

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                        Participant

Lisa,

My oncologist is doing an anti PD-1 trial at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon NH. You may want to check that trial out, or let me know if you want me to. Dr Marc Ernstoff is the doctor.

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                          Participant

Lisa,

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

kylez
                            Participant
                              What new brain met treatment are they planning to come out with at your hospital in Toronto? Since I guess there’s not that many?
                              kylez
                              Participant
                                What new brain met treatment are they planning to come out with at your hospital in Toronto? Since I guess there’s not that many?
                                kylez
                                Participant
                                  Vermont_Donna
                                  Participant

Hi Lisa,

Sorry that the news wasnt an "all clear". I know it is hard when you take the news of two more brain mets and think about your future. But you have had success with the treatments and Ipi can work boosting your immune system for who knows how long. And maybe an Ipi booster is what is needed or something else like Mary suggested. The good news? that you are finding this stuff out EARLY and are dealing with it.

Vermont_Donna
                                    Participant

Hi Lisa,

killmel
                                    Participant

Lisa,

Mary

kylez
                                      Participant
                                        Hi Lisa, that clearly *was* a very timely webinar. I’m sorry to hear you’ve got more to deal with than you hoping for.

I agree, stick to your guns for SRS on the 2 small, new mets. Dr. Chiang is clearly an authoratative practitioner at a leading research and treatment center. She took pains to say that the appropriate and effective use of gamma knife covers much more than the old guidelines cover. It will no doubt take awhile for the guidelines to catch up elsewhere. It’s great that (with you pushing them) your team is wiling to do GK on the new mets, and that they caught the 2 new ones small.

As sar as IPI — I’ve been 7 months without recurrence after gamma knife + surgery + IPI in June, at which point I had 4 active and 1 inactive brain met. Today that makes for 5 inactive brain mets after those 7 months, which so far is very slightly longer than I made it the previous time after treatment for (at that time) 2 active brain mets, by surgery and cyber knife only. So I think the IPI is either helping in my brain, and/or at least not hurting.

Hang in there , it’s still a very long road ahead, and you’re well informed.

Kyle

kylez
                                        Participant
                                          Hi Lisa, that clearly *was* a very timely webinar. I’m sorry to hear you’ve got more to deal with than you hoping for.

I agree, stick to your guns for SRS on the 2 small, new mets. Dr. Chiang is clearly an authoratative practitioner at a leading research and treatment center. She took pains to say that the appropriate and effective use of gamma knife covers much more than the old guidelines cover. It will no doubt take awhile for the guidelines to catch up elsewhere. It’s great that (with you pushing them) your team is wiling to do GK on the new mets, and that they caught the 2 new ones small.

As sar as IPI — I’ve been 7 months without recurrence after gamma knife + surgery + IPI in June, at which point I had 4 active and 1 inactive brain met. Today that makes for 5 inactive brain mets after those 7 months, which so far is very slightly longer than I made it the previous time after treatment for (at that time) 2 active brain mets, by surgery and cyber knife only. So I think the IPI is either helping in my brain, and/or at least not hurting.

Kyle

Lisa13
                                            Participant

Kyle,

You're absolutely right about that webinar – it taught me so much then I knew before. 

It sounds like you have some good news right now and I'm so happy for you.  I started to grow (marginally) on my lungs, but my lymphnode went up to 1900 late last week, so I'm really wondering on what ipi could still be doing.   It's hard to know what's going to happen with brain mets, but I do believe every 8 weeks is key. I had gamma knife on 2 of them 8 weeks ago and just found 2 tiny ones yesterday (exactly 2 months after gamma knife).   I'm hoping to get the gamma knife this week, but I know the radiologist is very high for WBR. I understand why they want to do this, but it ulltimately has to be my decision. 

I agree – it's going to be a long road ahead, but I believe our minds are part of this battle 🙂

Lisa

Lisa13
                                              Participant

Kyle,

You're absolutely right about that webinar – it taught me so much then I knew before. 

It sounds like you have some good news right now and I'm so happy for you.  I started to grow (marginally) on my lungs, but my lymphnode went up to 1900 late last week, so I'm really wondering on what ipi could still be doing.   It's hard to know what's going to happen with brain mets, but I do believe every 8 weeks is key. I had gamma knife on 2 of them 8 weeks ago and just found 2 tiny ones yesterday (exactly 2 months after gamma knife).   I'm hoping to get the gamma knife this week, but I know the radiologist is very high for WBR. I understand why they want to do this, but it ulltimately has to be my decision. 

I agree – it's going to be a long road ahead, but I believe our minds are part of this battle 🙂

Lisa

Lisa13
                                                Participant

Kyle,

Lisa

kylez
                                                Participant

Kyle

FormerCaregiver
                                                  Participant

Lisa, I am sorry to read that they have found a couple of new mets. However, as they are
                                                    small you have a number of options regarding treatments.

It seems that IL-2 (interleukin-2) after Yervoy can make a good combination. So, I
                                                    wonder if IL-2 might be worthwhile in your situation? See: http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/ipi-responders-what-now#comment-27863
                                                    (If clicking on the link doesn't work, just copy and paste it into the address bar of
                                                    your browser).

Hope this helps. Take care.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                    Participant

Lisa, I am sorry to read that they have found a couple of new mets. However, as they are

It seems that IL-2 (interleukin-2) after Yervoy can make a good combination. So, I
                                                      wonder if IL-2 might be worthwhile in your situation? See: http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/ipi-responders-what-now#comment-27863
                                                      (If clicking on the link doesn't work, just copy and paste it into the address bar of
                                                      your browser).

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                      Participant

your browser).

Frank from Australia

Lisa13
                                                          Participant

Hi Frank,

My Dr. definately believe the ipi worked for me which is why they want to try it again. At 16 weeks, I was 50% shrinkage and some mets had disappeared. Now, at 24 weeks, they showed a marginal growth (1-2mm). The interesting thing is my lymphocyes were very high until November 30th (2 weeks after gamma) it went to 0.53!  Now it's back up to 1900, so this is sort of good news for my immune system.

Other treatments that were suggested to me is Anti PD-1, a new clinical brain mets trial and something to do with NRAS – which I know nothing about. It has to do with checking my genetics and being BRAF negative. There is something new about this and they want to put me on this.  I'm keeping positive!

Lisa

kylez
                                                            Participant

Lisa, regarding NRAS I'm one of what my clincic calls their 'NRAS people'. They sequenced one of my stored tumor blocks and besides the 'wild type' BRAF G466e mutation, they found an NRAS G12A mutation. Unlike BRAF G466e, the NRAS G12A is "known", maybe that means I'm not 'NRAS wild type' (if there's such a terminology). I think NRAS is about a 15-20% subgroup in melanoma, whereas BRAF V600E/K is 50-60%. They're thinking a Pi3K/MEK combo could be promising in the near future for their NRAS patients like me.

Good luck this week.  

kylez
                                                              Participant

Lisa, regarding NRAS I'm one of what my clincic calls their 'NRAS people'. They sequenced one of my stored tumor blocks and besides the 'wild type' BRAF G466e mutation, they found an NRAS G12A mutation. Unlike BRAF G466e, the NRAS G12A is "known", maybe that means I'm not 'NRAS wild type' (if there's such a terminology). I think NRAS is about a 15-20% subgroup in melanoma, whereas BRAF V600E/K is 50-60%. They're thinking a Pi3K/MEK combo could be promising in the near future for their NRAS patients like me.

Good luck this week.  

kylez
                                                                Participant

Good luck this week.  

Lisa13
                                                                  Participant

Hi Frank,

My Dr. definately believe the ipi worked for me which is why they want to try it again. At 16 weeks, I was 50% shrinkage and some mets had disappeared. Now, at 24 weeks, they showed a marginal growth (1-2mm). The interesting thing is my lymphocyes were very high until November 30th (2 weeks after gamma) it went to 0.53!  Now it's back up to 1900, so this is sort of good news for my immune system.

Other treatments that were suggested to me is Anti PD-1, a new clinical brain mets trial and something to do with NRAS – which I know nothing about. It has to do with checking my genetics and being BRAF negative. There is something new about this and they want to put me on this.  I'm keeping positive!

Lisa

Lisa13
                                                                    Participant

Hi Frank,

Lisa

lhaley
                                                                    Participant

Lisa,

I am so sorry that this has happened, I know that if nothing else you needed an emotional break besides of course you wanted to have a good report.

Let's think of a positive…..   You have showed that your particular melanoma in the brain has reacted positively in the past with the Gamma.  Why wouldn't this also happen again!  If these 2 new ones are as small as your first one like you said, the smaller one is gone.   It was found before it became large. 

I've never done Ippi but just want to repeat that my melanoma specialist has said to me.   A 2 mm change is considered stable.  You could be laying slightly different on the table and the slice is different.  Have the scans been on the exact same machine?

Your lymphocytes are back up.  Is there a chance that you can negotiate another scan in 4 or 5 weeks and recheck those lung nodules and recheck?  Meanwhile be dealing with the brain mets.  The marginal growth could just be an inflamation or actually pretty stable and the lymphocytes now high might be working again.

I do understand being terrified.  I'm having brain mapping on thursday for Friday's crainectomy.  I am so afraid that something else will be found in the last month.  

Have faith, stick to your guns, you are also part of the team…. the most important part.

Linda 

lhaley
                                                                      Participant

Lisa,

I am so sorry that this has happened, I know that if nothing else you needed an emotional break besides of course you wanted to have a good report.

Let's think of a positive…..   You have showed that your particular melanoma in the brain has reacted positively in the past with the Gamma.  Why wouldn't this also happen again!  If these 2 new ones are as small as your first one like you said, the smaller one is gone.   It was found before it became large. 

I've never done Ippi but just want to repeat that my melanoma specialist has said to me.   A 2 mm change is considered stable.  You could be laying slightly different on the table and the slice is different.  Have the scans been on the exact same machine?

Your lymphocytes are back up.  Is there a chance that you can negotiate another scan in 4 or 5 weeks and recheck those lung nodules and recheck?  Meanwhile be dealing with the brain mets.  The marginal growth could just be an inflamation or actually pretty stable and the lymphocytes now high might be working again.

I do understand being terrified.  I'm having brain mapping on thursday for Friday's crainectomy.  I am so afraid that something else will be found in the last month.  

Have faith, stick to your guns, you are also part of the team…. the most important part.

Linda 

Lisa13
                                                                          Participant

Hi Linda,

The two they found were 6mm and 7mm and tomorrow I meet with the radiologist to get them gamma knifed this week.  I'll be getting two more brain MRIs and CT right before the procedure and they are the same machine I've always used.

I'll be starting ipi again as I had 50% shrinkage and disappearance, so it did work and I have a 50% chance of it working againa.  Like you said, I'll be having another CT scan in probably a month to see if the lungs have shrunk at all, so I think this is very important to keep an eye out on things.  It's so hard to understand if the marginal growth is actually inflammation of the ipi – nobody will never know. 

Brain mets are terrifying, but it's been nice to read about people that are still here 2,3,5 years after brain mets and havn't gotten anything more. 

Linda – this larger tumour you're having removed may just be the only thing you get for a while. It's possible!

Lisa  

Lisa13
                                                                            Participant

Hi Linda,

The two they found were 6mm and 7mm and tomorrow I meet with the radiologist to get them gamma knifed this week.  I'll be getting two more brain MRIs and CT right before the procedure and they are the same machine I've always used.

I'll be starting ipi again as I had 50% shrinkage and disappearance, so it did work and I have a 50% chance of it working againa.  Like you said, I'll be having another CT scan in probably a month to see if the lungs have shrunk at all, so I think this is very important to keep an eye out on things.  It's so hard to understand if the marginal growth is actually inflammation of the ipi – nobody will never know. 

Brain mets are terrifying, but it's been nice to read about people that are still here 2,3,5 years after brain mets and havn't gotten anything more. 

Linda – this larger tumour you're having removed may just be the only thing you get for a while. It's possible!

Lisa  

lhaley
                                                                              Participant

Lisa,

When I was talking about the 2mm in the lungs(since it's a ct scan) is.thought to be stable, haven't discussed that with the brain that way.

Mine isn't a new tumor it's the old one. They don't know how much of it's dead but considered well on it's way.  It's the edema that is causing the issue. I've just got to get off of these steroids before it has finished my body off.  I could wait but at this point I need to try this.  The fear is that it's still not in a good place to do the crainectomy which our hospital would have preferred as a first option.  Now that it's smaller hoping that no damage will occur.  I have been told that I might need a bit of radiation touch up afterwards. I do need to get that specified before I have a huge discussion.  Evidently radiation rocks my brain!

5 years from now we will set a date to meet to celebrate our looking back.  I know that scary thoughts invade, and that's ok. But we also have to look into the future. 

We moved into this house about 18 months ago and have been updating.  I'm looking at pictures of refacing cabinets.  I refuse to plan on the future. 

Linda

lhaley
                                                                                Participant

Lisa,

When I was talking about the 2mm in the lungs(since it's a ct scan) is.thought to be stable, haven't discussed that with the brain that way.

Mine isn't a new tumor it's the old one. They don't know how much of it's dead but considered well on it's way.  It's the edema that is causing the issue. I've just got to get off of these steroids before it has finished my body off.  I could wait but at this point I need to try this.  The fear is that it's still not in a good place to do the crainectomy which our hospital would have preferred as a first option.  Now that it's smaller hoping that no damage will occur.  I have been told that I might need a bit of radiation touch up afterwards. I do need to get that specified before I have a huge discussion.  Evidently radiation rocks my brain!

5 years from now we will set a date to meet to celebrate our looking back.  I know that scary thoughts invade, and that's ok. But we also have to look into the future. 

We moved into this house about 18 months ago and have been updating.  I'm looking at pictures of refacing cabinets.  I refuse to plan on the future. 

Linda

lhaley
                                                                                  Participant

Lisa,

Linda

Lisa13
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Linda,

Lisa  

lhaley
                                                                                    Participant

Lisa,

Linda 

KellieSue
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        I’m sorry for the set back of 2 new mets. I’m glad they are small and can do gamma knife on them quickly. They are small it seems so I feel that this can be taken care of quickly.
                                                                                        Ipi was showing success which is good! I know how set backs feel though.
                                                                                        Kellie(from Iowa)
                                                                                        KellieSue
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          I’m sorry for the set back of 2 new mets. I’m glad they are small and can do gamma knife on them quickly. They are small it seems so I feel that this can be taken care of quickly.
                                                                                          Kellie(from Iowa)
                                                                                          KellieSue
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            Kellie(from Iowa)
                                                                                            glewis923
                                                                                            Participant

hey Lisa-  I had 11  brain tumors.  I "demanded" they SRS as many as they could -7.  Afterwards they immediately did   WBR for 2 weeks.  Please consider doing both.  I have still developed at least 2 new ones since exactly 1 year ago.   They did 2 SRS's in 5-2011,  amd 3 more last week.  However, If i had not done WBR i'm quite sure new tumors would have been rampant.  WBR is painless and harmless IMO;  considering alternative:  a quicker certain death.  For me i know it would have been.  there are millions of cancer cells floating in your brain now-  kill them while /if you can with any means you can.   TAKE CARE,  WILL PRAY for us-   Grady. 

glewis923
                                                                                              Participant

hey Lisa-  I had 11  brain tumors.  I "demanded" they SRS as many as they could -7.  Afterwards they immediately did   WBR for 2 weeks.  Please consider doing both.  I have still developed at least 2 new ones since exactly 1 year ago.   They did 2 SRS's in 5-2011,  amd 3 more last week.  However, If i had not done WBR i'm quite sure new tumors would have been rampant.  WBR is painless and harmless IMO;  considering alternative:  a quicker certain death.  For me i know it would have been.  there are millions of cancer cells floating in your brain now-  kill them while /if you can with any means you can.   TAKE CARE,  WILL PRAY for us-   Grady. 

Lisa13
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Grady,

How would you know if there are millions of cancer cells floating in the brain?  When I hear about the people that are here 2,3 and 5 years after more than 2 brain tumours were removed, they've been around for these years without more brain mets.  In the past 3 weeks, I found out about these 3 woman who never did WBR and are still here without anymore coming.

After listening to the webinar on Melanoma International, it seems having gamma knife when you have 1-4  tmours is a great survival benefit. My choice is not to do WBR unless of course I show up with more mets (much greater than 5).  If I could live life getting 2 removed, here and there and then be lucky to have no more for awhile – we just don't know.  I'm starting ipi again and if it doesn't work, I'd set up for ANTI PDI. My Dr also said there is a new clinical trial for brain mets which they are getting me in, so there is always hope.  When I find of the name of this brain met clinical trial, I'll be letting everyone know.

We don't know how fast the tumours are growing. Some people get them in 1 months and the next month and then sometimes they don't get anymore for a long time. We just don't know.

For now, I've had Stage 4 for almost a year and it had stayed in my lungs and 4 of them just recently went just above 1cm – the rest 8mm. This means to be that the cancer isn't growing in my body fast right now and having a huge lymphocyte number since May 2011, must mean my own immune system is doing what it can.  

We never know what's going to happen, but we have to remain hopeful.  I'm getting brain MRIs every 8 weeks, so I think this is the best thing to do to catch them as quickly as you can.

Lisa13
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Grady,

How would you know if there are millions of cancer cells floating in the brain?  When I hear about the people that are here 2,3 and 5 years after more than 2 brain tumours were removed, they've been around for these years without more brain mets.  In the past 3 weeks, I found out about these 3 woman who never did WBR and are still here without anymore coming.

After listening to the webinar on Melanoma International, it seems having gamma knife when you have 1-4  tmours is a great survival benefit. My choice is not to do WBR unless of course I show up with more mets (much greater than 5).  If I could live life getting 2 removed, here and there and then be lucky to have no more for awhile – we just don't know.  I'm starting ipi again and if it doesn't work, I'd set up for ANTI PDI. My Dr also said there is a new clinical trial for brain mets which they are getting me in, so there is always hope.  When I find of the name of this brain met clinical trial, I'll be letting everyone know.

We don't know how fast the tumours are growing. Some people get them in 1 months and the next month and then sometimes they don't get anymore for a long time. We just don't know.

For now, I've had Stage 4 for almost a year and it had stayed in my lungs and 4 of them just recently went just above 1cm – the rest 8mm. This means to be that the cancer isn't growing in my body fast right now and having a huge lymphocyte number since May 2011, must mean my own immune system is doing what it can.  

We never know what's going to happen, but we have to remain hopeful.  I'm getting brain MRIs every 8 weeks, so I think this is the best thing to do to catch them as quickly as you can.

Lisa13
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Grady,

glewis923
                                                                                                      Participant

jag
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          Lisa that news sucks big time.
                                                                                                          That said, recurring brain mets is by no means a death sentence. I had my first one in 2006, needless to say, six craniotomies later, Merry and I are renovating the house planning for a baby. The fact that Ipi is showing signs of working is even better news. Keep plugging away at treatments until you get rid of the bastard!
                                                                                                          jag
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            That said, recurring brain mets is by no means a death sentence. I had my first one in 2006, needless to say, six craniotomies later, Merry and I are renovating the house planning for a baby. The fact that Ipi is showing signs of working is even better news. Keep plugging away at treatments until you get rid of the bastard!
                                                                                                            jag
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                Lisa13
                                                                                                                Participant

Thanks Jag.

People like you give me hope as you've had a few brain mets that never came back.  I'm getting the small 2 gamma knifed and back onto ipi which was working in the first place. 

Like you, we're working on our house and enjoying life with our 2 year old daughter.  I've been chatting with a girl who had 15 reoccuring mets 2 years ago.   When you first get them, it's hard not to be afraid, but I hope I can be like you and others sticking it out years ago.

By the way, what did you take again that probably eliminiated your brain mets back then?

Lisa13
                                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks Jag.

People like you give me hope as you've had a few brain mets that never came back.  I'm getting the small 2 gamma knifed and back onto ipi which was working in the first place. 

Like you, we're working on our house and enjoying life with our 2 year old daughter.  I've been chatting with a girl who had 15 reoccuring mets 2 years ago.   When you first get them, it's hard not to be afraid, but I hope I can be like you and others sticking it out years ago.

By the way, what did you take again that probably eliminiated your brain mets back then?

Lisa13
                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks Jag.

Laurie from maine
                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Lisa,

I have been following your posts and had hoped things would get easier or at least give you a little break.  Your attitude is wonderful and you are being a great advocate for yourself!  It sounds like you have a good plan in front of you and good to hear that ippi did work and I am hopeful will work again for you.

take care, keep us posted, thinking of you.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi Lisa,

I have been following your posts and had hoped things would get easier or at least give you a little break.  Your attitude is wonderful and you are being a great advocate for yourself!  It sounds like you have a good plan in front of you and good to hear that ippi did work and I am hopeful will work again for you.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Lisa,

laurie from maine

jag
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              It wasn’t one thing in particular back then Lisa, I actually always hoped that I could get an ipi boost post surgically. I just kept plodding along. My tumors were not responsive to radiation, unfortunately, so I needed 2 additional surgeries to get rid of crud. Basically a low tumor burden, good surgeons, and a lot, I mean a LOT of prayers. Oh yeah, they actually stopped recurring when they took me off temodar. Having a supportive wife, keeping busy, also kept things pretty smooth.
                                                                                                                              Will say a prayer for you tonight.
                                                                                                                              John
                                                                                                                              jag
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                It wasn’t one thing in particular back then Lisa, I actually always hoped that I could get an ipi boost post surgically. I just kept plodding along. My tumors were not responsive to radiation, unfortunately, so I needed 2 additional surgeries to get rid of crud. Basically a low tumor burden, good surgeons, and a lot, I mean a LOT of prayers. Oh yeah, they actually stopped recurring when they took me off temodar. Having a supportive wife, keeping busy, also kept things pretty smooth.
                                                                                                                                John
                                                                                                                                jag
                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                  John
                                                                                                                                  jag
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                    Lisa, one thing I didn’t think of but might work well if you can combine it w/ipi therapy would be to get into a vaccine trial to “prime the pump” so to speak. My strategy was to get through all of the worst treatments first. I think everything in combination ended up destroying the beast.
                                                                                                                                    jag
                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                      Lisa, one thing I didn’t think of but might work well if you can combine it w/ipi therapy would be to get into a vaccine trial to “prime the pump” so to speak. My strategy was to get through all of the worst treatments first. I think everything in combination ended up destroying the beast.
                                                                                                                                      jag
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                      AlanM
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Lisa,

Sorry to hear about the 2 new brain mets. You are fortunate that your immune system was able to dispose of the first two so quickly! I sincerely hope it will do the same with the new ones. I have had one brain met which was treated by Gamma Knife 5/11. MRIs since then have shown no new mets and the one that was treated is stable. The treatments we undergo CAN but the brakes on this disease. You have such a great attitude, and it is evident that you do refuse to quit. Best of luck with the new GK treatment and the ipi booster.

Alan

Lisa13
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                            Hi Alan,

my immune system never disposed of the first 2 (although wouldn’t that have been amazing!). Gamma knife eliminated 1 of them and the larger 1 in dead tissue which is good news. the two new brain mets are 7mm, so they will likely have good results.

I’m hoping I’m as lucky as you to have no more brain mets come back when I starte ipi for the second time.

Lisa13
                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                              Hi Alan,

my immune system never disposed of the first 2 (although wouldn’t that have been amazing!). Gamma knife eliminated 1 of them and the larger 1 in dead tissue which is good news. the two new brain mets are 7mm, so they will likely have good results.

I’m hoping I’m as lucky as you to have no more brain mets come back when I starte ipi for the second time.

Lisa13
                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                Hi Alan,

AlanM
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Lisa,

Sorry to hear about the 2 new brain mets. You are fortunate that your immune system was able to dispose of the first two so quickly! I sincerely hope it will do the same with the new ones. I have had one brain met which was treated by Gamma Knife 5/11. MRIs since then have shown no new mets and the one that was treated is stable. The treatments we undergo CAN but the brakes on this disease. You have such a great attitude, and it is evident that you do refuse to quit. Best of luck with the new GK treatment and the ipi booster.

Alan

AlanM
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Lisa,

Alan

momof2kids
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Wow Lisa, I just saw this about the 2 new tumors.  I hope that you & your doctors can agree on what to do and that it will work.    Like my son has said, he wishes we had "magic" to take away this cancer so mommy could be normal again and be around for a long future.  I can only hope these doctors can work some magic with these treatments.

momof2kids
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Wow Lisa, I just saw this about the 2 new tumors.  I hope that you & your doctors can agree on what to do and that it will work.    Like my son has said, he wishes we had "magic" to take away this cancer so mommy could be normal again and be around for a long future.  I can only hope these doctors can work some magic with these treatments.

momof2kids
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics