The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mel or Larry? Who’s the big winner?

Forums General Melanoma Community Mel or Larry? Who’s the big winner?

Participant
      Larry!

Ok joking aside. I went to see the Rock Star Doc yesterday afternoon and the news is that I have lung cancer, not melanoma, in my rib (yes, that’s why it hurts), and neck lymph modes. The abnormal PET uptake in my right shoulder is from a torn rotator cuff. Seems perverse to be happy about a torn rotator cuff, but I am.

So the plan is to have Mel surgery probably next Monday to remove 2 small pieces of mel funk on my left arm. Then probably take Vizimpro, a targeted TKI chemotherapy for the lung cancer. Vizimpro is a new “third generation” TKI that targets a gene mutation that is in my lung cancer. It’s relatively new (2018) but the outcome data is a tad better than the other TKIs. And I am a mutant, but then you knew that.

In talking with the Rock Star and his band, they say that it’s better that it is lung cancer as I have already burned through a lot of Mel treatments and coming up with something that will work may be a little creative. I suppose this is good. I am only on my second line of LC treatment., but I have moved from stage 3 to stage 4. And from treat with curative intent to palliative intent. And the TKI chemo drug is a long haul (“continue until progression or untolerable side effect). I’m not sure I’m ready to “have the flu” for the foreseeable future.Ok I”m starting to whine now,…

Still trying to wrap my head around all of this..

Thank you, friends!
      Shalom!
      Julie

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Good grief!! Julie you can whine scream, yell, curse….whatever floats your boat!!! I hear you and raise a glass of understanding regarding the crazy conundrum of ~ “So, I should be glad I have a cancer OTHER than melanoma????!!!!” Mercy. Crazy and unjust is not the word. Still, I know you are a tough, amazing and positive soul! Sounds like you (and your Rock Doc) have a solid, well thought out and researched plan. I know you will come through this like the trooper you are. I will be holding you in my heart and have all things crossed that side effects are minimal and success is GRAND!!! Love you bunches! Hugs! les
          mandyjill
          Participant
            Girl you are allowed to whine all you want! You are in my prayers. I appreciate your sense of humor and attitude so much.
            Amanda
            gopher38
            Participant
              I was going to write just, “Stop your bitching”, but you never know how things will be received 😉

That’s a lot to deal with. Hope the surgery and treatments go well.

Casitas1
              Participant
                Wishing you the best with the new Larry drowning juice! Being a fellow Rock Star patient I was wondering who is going to perform the hackatory on the Mel? You will “Mutate” into a cancer resistant being!

Best, Paul

jbronicki
                Participant
                  Oh Julie, that just sucks, whining is more than justified and your whining is so relatively mild to the situation at hand. You deserve a break, I’m wishing this for you and praying (I’m not religious but you are that important) that you don’t have to deal with too much during this treatment.

I hate Larry

I was really hoping for a divorce from Larry, but looks like we are in the counseling stage now.

Julie, you are in my heart and hope this all goes well quickly.

MelanomaMike
                  Participant
                    Hi Sis, wow! So your lung monsters arnt Mel monsters after all? What a trip! And i imagine you even had a biopsy before this? I mean, i know “error” is a common place, i to had a miss diagnosis back in 2017 on my left leg, it came back as some kinda “Somethin'” but NOT melanoma, 2 or 3 months later it grew back (they did a shave the first then second time) and all of a sudden its Melanoma!! WTH? AND now it had spread to my lungs..
                    Im glad they found a treatment for your now NSCLC theres a bit more to choose from in meds to fight it then Mel, lucky you!! Anyways , read my post, my own story gets better and better every day! Love ya SoCal Sis!
                    Scooby123
                    Participant
                      Julie am sorry hun it bloody sucks. Glad they got a plan for you . You are amazing strong funny lady and keeps chin up and fights through everything that’s been thrown at you. Keep smiling thinking of you sending hugs .
                      Scooby
                      MarkR
                      Participant
                        That’s a really tough run and I’m really sorry to hear it. The good news is you have options available to you and that is very good indeed and hopefully it will work well for you
                        Best of luck
                        Mark
                        WithinMySkin
                        Participant
                          Oh my goodness, friend – sending ALL the internet hugs your way!!!!!

Lauren

MelMel
                          Participant
                            So sorry to hear of your new diagnosis but sounds like you have a good plan in place and you are a warrior. Sending only good wishes and thoughts your way!
                            Melanie
                            lkb
                            Participant
                              Sending hugs your way!
                          Viewing 10 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics