The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Friends of Boots: Sad news to share.

Forums General Melanoma Community Friends of Boots: Sad news to share.

Participant

"Boots"

March 18, 1957 – March 30, 2012    "Boot2aboot"

Many patients on this site knew our sister, Choel Evans, affectionately as "Boots."  I'm sad to say that Choel passed away only days past her 55th birthday.   She became such an advocate for melanoma research this past year and she did all that she could to live despite the pain and suffering she endured every day.   She was diagnosed a year ago in March.  It was a very rough year.

To those of you sharing your experience here on this site, helping others to  navigate the clinical trials, or providing the valuable understanding, kindness and love…thank you.  Choel found a family of friends here.  She was so grateful to folks like Jimmy B and others.  She would call me in tears whenever a melanoma.org friend passed away.  You all became important loving friends to my sister, Boots.  

Best wishes to you for a successful & complete recovery!

Amy Buckley

file://localhost/Users/amybuckley/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2012/Apr%203,%202012/558320.jpg

Choel P. Evans, 55, of Galion, passed away on Mar.30, 2012 at Hospice House of North Central Ohio in Ashland, after a yearlong battle with cancer.  

Born Mar. 18, 1957 in Galion, she was the daughter of Anne J. Evans and the late Charles O. Evans. Choel graduated in 1975 from Galion High School where she enjoyed Miriam Sayre's Thespian class, playing the flute in concert band and showing her horse, Dusty, at the county fair. Many of Choel's activities in high school became lifelong passions for her especially acting, art, music and filmmaking. 

Choel earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the Columbus College of Art & Design and was one of the local Galion artists chosen to depict the venerable manors & churches of Galion for the 1976 Bicentennial. Several gift shops in town sold greeting cards with her pencil sketches of such classics like Brownella Cottage, Howard House and the Hosford-Kelly House. Her creative instincts and artistic talent carried through in her professional career as well. Choel was a filmmaker, location scout, set decorator and props master in Feature Film, Commercials and Theater. 

She was a member of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE), local 209, and is credited with such films as "Traffic," and stage productions at the Ohio and Palace Theaters in Columbus. Many have seen Choel's work on commercials for Wendy's, Saks Fifth Avenue and The Limited. 

Choel's passion for the environment, wildlife, gardening, yoga and all things outdoors continued until her death. She was a regular hiker at Mohican, Lowe-Volk Park and enjoyed nurturing injured wildlife back to good health. She also volunteered time with the wildlife sanctuary in Crawford County. 

She is survived by her mother, Anne J. Evans of Galion; her brother, John O. (Karen) Evans of Farmington Hills, Mich. and her sister, Amy (Robert) Buckley of Los Gatos, Calif.; five nieces, Alissa, Lindsey, Kirsten and Teagan Evans and McKenna Buckley and her aunt, Mary Judkins of Peoria, Ill. Choel is also survived by several cousins that helped her during this difficult year.

Choel's family will receive friends from 3 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Apr. 22, 2012 at the home of Anne Evans where a memorial service will be held for friends and family at 4 p.m. Sunday, Apr. 22 officiated by Dr. Dan Turner. A memorial in Choel's honor will be placed at the Evans' family plot in Fairmont Cemetery, Jackson, Ohio. 

Memorial tributes in Choel's memory may be made to the Melanoma Research Foundation, P.O. Box 759329, Baltimore, MD 21275-9329 or on http://www.melanoma.org.

Choel and her family were most appreciative for all the prayers and cheerful cards sent by neighbors, family, friends and members of the Community Christian Church of Galion.  

Viewing 53 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Im deeply shocked to hear that we have lost Boots, I'm so very sad to hear that news.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends.

Choel was a great support here and will be greatly missed.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
          Participant

Im deeply shocked to hear that we have lost Boots, I'm so very sad to hear that news.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
            Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

lhaley
              Participant

Amy,

I am so sorry to hear about Boots passing away.  If I remember, one of her last posts was advice to someone else about suggestion of a trial. She was always researching and giving others help. 

So often we don't know what has happened and a family member doesn't let us know, it's so appreciated.

I'm sure Boots familly and friends will miss her dearly.  She fought so hard to beat melanoma down.

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

Amy,

I am so sorry to hear about Boots passing away.  If I remember, one of her last posts was advice to someone else about suggestion of a trial. She was always researching and giving others help. 

So often we don't know what has happened and a family member doesn't let us know, it's so appreciated.

I'm sure Boots familly and friends will miss her dearly.  She fought so hard to beat melanoma down.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Amy,

Linda

hope4cure1
                    Participant

Amy, thank you so much for letting us know about dear Boots.  I so admired her energy and determination.

I hope her courage and strength give your family peace as you grieve the lost of such a special person.

Hope

hope4cure1
                      Participant

Amy, thank you so much for letting us know about dear Boots.  I so admired her energy and determination.

I hope her courage and strength give your family peace as you grieve the lost of such a special person.

Hope

hope4cure1
                        Participant

Hope

washoegal
                          Participant

Rest in Peace dear Boots.  We your "second" family will miss you greatly.  Condolences to family and friends.

yoopergirl
                              Participant

Sorry to hear this news, she will be missed here. May she RIP now, 

yoopergirl
                                Participant

yoopergirl
                                  Participant

washoegal
                                  Participant

Rest in Peace dear Boots.  We your "second" family will miss you greatly.  Condolences to family and friends.

washoegal
                                    Participant

akls
                                      Participant

Amy,

So sorry to hear this news.  Choel was alway very helpful to others and kept a postive spirit throughout this terrible disease.  She will be missed.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                        Participant

Amy,

So sorry to hear this news.  Choel was alway very helpful to others and kept a postive spirit throughout this terrible disease.  She will be missed.

Amy S. in Michigan

Laurie from maine
                                            Participant

Thank you for posting.  I am heart broken for your family.  I am so sorry, she had such a great spirit and I always looked for her posts.  She always helped others.  She was a true warrior and will be greatly missed.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                              Participant

Thank you for posting.  I am heart broken for your family.  I am so sorry, she had such a great spirit and I always looked for her posts.  She always helped others.  She was a true warrior and will be greatly missed.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                Participant

laurie from maine

Phil S
                                                  Participant
                                                    Very shocked, she posted a couple times in March, with her feisty attitude (loved it) and I thought doing well on Braf drug. I will really miss her posts, her great information, her sense of righteousness, and our shared hatred of melanoma which she verbalized so well. Boots, rest in peace, and blessings to her family. Valerie (Phil’s mother)
                                                    Phil S
                                                    Participant
                                                      Very shocked, she posted a couple times in March, with her feisty attitude (loved it) and I thought doing well on Braf drug. I will really miss her posts, her great information, her sense of righteousness, and our shared hatred of melanoma which she verbalized so well. Boots, rest in peace, and blessings to her family. Valerie (Phil’s mother)
                                                      Phil S
                                                      Participant
                                                      akls
                                                      Participant

Amy,

Amy S. in Michigan

MichaelFL
                                                        Participant

I'm so sorry to hear this news. May she rest in peace. She will be missed here. 🙁

MichaelFL
                                                          Participant

I'm so sorry to hear this news. May she rest in peace. She will be missed here. 🙁

MichaelFL
                                                            Participant

Linny
                                                              Participant

I am SO sorry to hear this. I admired her courage and tenacity. She was a tremendous asset on this board and I always found her posts helpful. She will be missed. RIP, Boots.

Linny
                                                                Participant

I am SO sorry to hear this. I admired her courage and tenacity. She was a tremendous asset on this board and I always found her posts helpful. She will be missed. RIP, Boots.

Linny
                                                                  Participant

King
                                                                    Participant

Amy,

I am so sad to read this.  My sincere sympathy to Boots' family and friends.  What a talented woman.  We all appreciated her input on this Board.  Another warrior who will be greatly missed.

Stay Strong

Kathie/King

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

King
                                                                      Participant

Amy,

I am so sad to read this.  My sincere sympathy to Boots' family and friends.  What a talented woman.  We all appreciated her input on this Board.  Another warrior who will be greatly missed.

Stay Strong

Kathie/King

King
                                                                        Participant

Amy,

Stay Strong

Kathie/King

Karin L
                                                                            Participant

Amy, thank you for letting us know about Boots.  I am so shocked and sad to hear this news.  Boots was a go-getter and I admired her strength.  Godspeed Boots, you will be missed here.

Karin

Karin L
                                                                              Participant

Amy, thank you for letting us know about Boots.  I am so shocked and sad to hear this news.  Boots was a go-getter and I admired her strength.  Godspeed Boots, you will be missed here.

Karin

killmel
                                                                                Participant

I cannot believe what I just read about Boots. She never told us that she was having problems.As a matter of fact,she was still posting this month helping everyone. She was a giving sout and willbe missed.

I just do not understand how she could die so quickly. Does anyone know what happened???

killmel
                                                                                  Participant

I cannot believe what I just read about Boots. She never told us that she was having problems.As a matter of fact,she was still posting this month helping everyone. She was a giving sout and willbe missed.

I just do not understand how she could die so quickly. Does anyone know what happened???

killmel
                                                                                    Participant

Karin L
                                                                                      Participant

Karin

s Mom
                                                                                      Participant

Dear Amy,

I am heartbroken – your sister was such an advocate for all us here on this forum,  and I admired her strength and determination.  She had such a fighting spirit!!  She helped me personally find a PALS flight to Florida just last month.  I am just so so sad to hear of this.  

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                                                        Participant

Dear Amy,

I am heartbroken – your sister was such an advocate for all us here on this forum,  and I admired her strength and determination.  She had such a fighting spirit!!  She helped me personally find a PALS flight to Florida just last month.  I am just so so sad to hear of this.  

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                                                          Participant

Dear Amy,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Columbus
                                                                                            Participant

Thank you all for your kind words.  I know so many people that have beat Stage 4 mel without such aggressive therapy.  How one knows which treatment path to take is just so unknown.  Choel did everything humanly possible.  Her diet and exercise regimen was flawless.  She was a very spiritual person and read voraciously.   She gave it her all.

Just to let you all know because information is key, Boots had received good news in late Feb, after a battery of scans, that the mets in liver and lungs were responding favorably with the zelboraf.  She was scheduled to go to Moffit to see Dr. Weber for a follow up th 1st week of Apr and to workout the next stage of treatment after zel would presumably stop working.  So, this was a great suprise to Boots too.  The airline tickets were in the top of the desk drawer.  I did FedEx them back to PALS so that another patient could use them.

Her brain met symptoms started with uncommon lethargy one day.  So tired Boots could barely move a muscle.  A day or two later she collapsed and was rushed to ER.  Xray confirmed 5 new brain mets.  They were inoperable and palliative radiation did not work.  She never made it back to Moffit.  Instead she endured a week in ICU and then we moved to Hospice.  She was paralysized and non ambulatory all within 3 days.  The tumors were growing at an unbelievable rate.  

From my reading, zelboraf crosses the blood-brain barrier.  I'm not sure why the liver mets responded but not the brain mets.  She was on a very low dose of zelboraf (less than half)  due to the many side effects she suffered so perhaps it wasn't enough for a positive clinical response.  All speculation on my part.  Last month Choel had a large squamous cell lesion removed from her nose…I guess another common side effect of zel.

We are numb.  It happened so quickly.  She was so young, talented and a very caring person.  Looking a her medical journal, Boots greatest fear is that it would move to her brain….and sadly it did.  

I know a few patients with brain mets and successfully treated by a new treatment….I'm drawing a blank on the acronym but TNS???  I think it was a stem cell based treatment….highly specialized.  If I recover the email a friend sent with on the clinical trial, I will post it here but I am guessing that you all know about that I refer.

Thank you again everyone for your continued love and outreach.

Amy

Columbus
                                                                                              Participant

Thank you all for your kind words.  I know so many people that have beat Stage 4 mel without such aggressive therapy.  How one knows which treatment path to take is just so unknown.  Choel did everything humanly possible.  Her diet and exercise regimen was flawless.  She was a very spiritual person and read voraciously.   She gave it her all.

Just to let you all know because information is key, Boots had received good news in late Feb, after a battery of scans, that the mets in liver and lungs were responding favorably with the zelboraf.  She was scheduled to go to Moffit to see Dr. Weber for a follow up th 1st week of Apr and to workout the next stage of treatment after zel would presumably stop working.  So, this was a great suprise to Boots too.  The airline tickets were in the top of the desk drawer.  I did FedEx them back to PALS so that another patient could use them.

Her brain met symptoms started with uncommon lethargy one day.  So tired Boots could barely move a muscle.  A day or two later she collapsed and was rushed to ER.  Xray confirmed 5 new brain mets.  They were inoperable and palliative radiation did not work.  She never made it back to Moffit.  Instead she endured a week in ICU and then we moved to Hospice.  She was paralysized and non ambulatory all within 3 days.  The tumors were growing at an unbelievable rate.  

From my reading, zelboraf crosses the blood-brain barrier.  I'm not sure why the liver mets responded but not the brain mets.  She was on a very low dose of zelboraf (less than half)  due to the many side effects she suffered so perhaps it wasn't enough for a positive clinical response.  All speculation on my part.  Last month Choel had a large squamous cell lesion removed from her nose…I guess another common side effect of zel.

We are numb.  It happened so quickly.  She was so young, talented and a very caring person.  Looking a her medical journal, Boots greatest fear is that it would move to her brain….and sadly it did.  

I know a few patients with brain mets and successfully treated by a new treatment….I'm drawing a blank on the acronym but TNS???  I think it was a stem cell based treatment….highly specialized.  If I recover the email a friend sent with on the clinical trial, I will post it here but I am guessing that you all know about that I refer.

Amy

Columbus
                                                                                                Participant

Amy

NYKaren
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      Dear Amy,
                                                                                                      My sincere condolences to you and your family. I too am deeply shocked and really appreciate your taking the time to share with us.
                                                                                                      karen
                                                                                                      NYKaren
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        Dear Amy,
                                                                                                        My sincere condolences to you and your family. I too am deeply shocked and really appreciate your taking the time to share with us.
                                                                                                        karen
                                                                                                        NYKaren
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          Dear Amy,
                                                                                                          karen
                                                                                                          vivian
                                                                                                          Participant

Dear Amy,

Thank you for sharing this sad news.  Your sister was incredibly giving and encouraging to those of us who met her here, and she will be missed every day.  May your family be comforted by knowing Boots will be forever in the hearts of so many.

Peace and light,

Lear

vivian
                                                                                                            Participant

Dear Amy,

Thank you for sharing this sad news.  Your sister was incredibly giving and encouraging to those of us who met her here, and she will be missed every day.  May your family be comforted by knowing Boots will be forever in the hearts of so many.

Peace and light,

Lear

vivian
                                                                                                              Participant

Dear Amy,

Peace and light,

Lear

triciad
                                                                                                              Participant

Amy,

I am in shock!  I thought Boots was doing better.  I am so sorry for your loss.  Boots was a true warrior and gave us all hope and encouragement during her battle.  Please accept my sincerest sympathies for your loss.  She was a real inspiration to me!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                                                                Participant

Amy,

I am in shock!  I thought Boots was doing better.  I am so sorry for your loss.  Boots was a true warrior and gave us all hope and encouragement during her battle.  Please accept my sincerest sympathies for your loss.  She was a real inspiration to me!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                                                                  Participant

Amy,

Tricia

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                    Participant

So sorry to hear this news.  Boots indeed grew tobe one of us very quickly and I grew quite fond of her.  Nothing can feel the hole of one so loved.  The only positive thing is that she is no longer in pain, but has returned to her maker.  Praying for the anguish and pain y'all are experiencing.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                      Participant

So sorry to hear this news.  Boots indeed grew tobe one of us very quickly and I grew quite fond of her.  Nothing can feel the hole of one so loved.  The only positive thing is that she is no longer in pain, but has returned to her maker.  Praying for the anguish and pain y'all are experiencing.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                        Participant

justlittleoleme
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            Amy, sorry for the loss of your sister. May she rest in peace. She was a great warrior who fought the good fight. We will miss her tenacity and wisdom.
                                                                                                                            justlittleoleme
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              Amy, sorry for the loss of your sister. May she rest in peace. She was a great warrior who fought the good fight. We will miss her tenacity and wisdom.
                                                                                                                              justlittleoleme
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                JuleFL
                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                  Thank you for the beautiful post about Choel’s life. I am very sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family.

Jule, Cal’s wife

JuleFL
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                    Thank you for the beautiful post about Choel’s life. I am very sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family.

Jule, Cal’s wife

JuleFL
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Jule, Cal’s wife

gabsound
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        Amy,
                                                                                                                                        I’m so sorry for you and your family. I loved Boot’s spirit. She was a fighter and called it like she saw it.

It must have been quite a shock to lose her so quickly both for her and for you. I truly hate this disease.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                          Amy,
                                                                                                                                          I’m so sorry for you and your family. I loved Boot’s spirit. She was a fighter and called it like she saw it.

It must have been quite a shock to lose her so quickly both for her and for you. I truly hate this disease.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                            Amy,

Julie in Las Vegas

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Amy, I am deeply saddened to read that Boots has passed away. She fought melanoma with great tenacity and courage while always trying to help others.

Please accept my sincere condolences.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Amy, I am deeply saddened to read that Boots has passed away. She fought melanoma with great tenacity and courage while always trying to help others.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

So very sorry to read this news. She will be missed by so many.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Dick

laurieformike
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

It sounds like we were going through the same thing about the same time, lost my husband 4/3/2012 at the age of 55 years young. So sorry for you loss, I have spent may a nights on the computer just reading all the post on the site. It helped me get through some very hard to understand times with my husbands Melanoma! Thank you BOOTS, RIP

laurieformike
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

It sounds like we were going through the same thing about the same time, lost my husband 4/3/2012 at the age of 55 years young. So sorry for you loss, I have spent may a nights on the computer just reading all the post on the site. It helped me get through some very hard to understand times with my husbands Melanoma! Thank you BOOTS, RIP

laurieformike
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Viewing 53 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics