The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Family History of Melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Family History of Melanoma?

Participant

I'm curious about how many of us have a family history of melanoma; I personally feel like any cancer is part genetics, part environment, but I thought an informal poll of the melanoma community might be telling. I have a family history, but also have gotten sunburned several times and used tanning beds,  and I'm sure that there are people who only had one of those factors, or maybe neither. 

I'm curious about how many of us have a family history of melanoma; I personally feel like any cancer is part genetics, part environment, but I thought an informal poll of the melanoma community might be telling. I have a family history, but also have gotten sunburned several times and used tanning beds,  and I'm sure that there are people who only had one of those factors, or maybe neither. 

Viewing 74 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

No family history here… and I had ( before immune reactions changing skin pigment) olive complection. Lots of moles and more days than I could ever count on the beaches in south FL where I grew up.My mom has had several basal cell carcinomas removed over the years, but no melanoma.

Tina

Tina D
          Participant

No family history here… and I had ( before immune reactions changing skin pigment) olive complection. Lots of moles and more days than I could ever count on the beaches in south FL where I grew up.My mom has had several basal cell carcinomas removed over the years, but no melanoma.

Tina

Tina D
            Participant

Tina

Gene_S
              Participant

My husband has no family history of melanoma.  He blames his on working 40 years mostly midnights and afternoon turns and not getting much of the good sunshine with the Vitamin D that the body needs.  His melanoma started on the back of his head under a full and thick head of hair.  He does not have a history of a lot of burns either.  He has never used tanning beds.

He takes Vitamin D3 supplements and tries to get 10 to 15 minutes of sunlight when the sun cooperates but in NE Ohio that is not very often.

Judy (loving wife of Gene)

Gene_S
                Participant

My husband has no family history of melanoma.  He blames his on working 40 years mostly midnights and afternoon turns and not getting much of the good sunshine with the Vitamin D that the body needs.  His melanoma started on the back of his head under a full and thick head of hair.  He does not have a history of a lot of burns either.  He has never used tanning beds.

He takes Vitamin D3 supplements and tries to get 10 to 15 minutes of sunlight when the sun cooperates but in NE Ohio that is not very often.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Colleen66
                    Participant

No melanoma but a few breast cancers.

Colleen 

Colleen66
                      Participant

Colleen 

Colleen66
                        Participant

Colleen 

goldengirls2011
                          Participant

Yes, family history here. My father, uncle and aunt & a few cousins have all had melanoma. Of course, we are all fair skinned, blue eyes & spent many summers at the beach.

Cathy

goldengirls2011
                            Participant

Yes, family history here. My father, uncle and aunt & a few cousins have all had melanoma. Of course, we are all fair skinned, blue eyes & spent many summers at the beach.

Cathy

goldengirls2011
                              Participant

Cathy

Linny
                                Participant

Nope. No family history of melanoma or moles. Also, I apparently never had a primary.

Linny
                                  Participant

Nope. No family history of melanoma or moles. Also, I apparently never had a primary.

Linny
                                    Participant

awillett1991
                                      Participant
                                        My father had a melanoma stage 1 recur after 18 yrs as stage 4, two brain mets. I month after he died, I was diagnosed stage 3c. My younger brother has had a melanoma stage 1 removed. We aren’t fair complected or fair haired. We spent our time outside, but no tanning beds and none of us ever lived near the beach.
                                        awillett1991
                                        Participant
                                          My father had a melanoma stage 1 recur after 18 yrs as stage 4, two brain mets. I month after he died, I was diagnosed stage 3c. My younger brother has had a melanoma stage 1 removed. We aren’t fair complected or fair haired. We spent our time outside, but no tanning beds and none of us ever lived near the beach.
                                          awillett1991
                                          Participant
                                            dellriol
                                            Participant

No family history here.  Plus my identical twin has had a couple basal cell but no melanoma.  A while back I asked about other twins, and the other twins who responded said their twins were clear.

dellriol
                                              Participant

No family history here.  Plus my identical twin has had a couple basal cell but no melanoma.  A while back I asked about other twins, and the other twins who responded said their twins were clear.

dellriol
                                                Participant

washoegal
                                                  Participant

My mother had melanoma when she was about 26 – stage unknown.  She survived with no reoccurance.  I didn't develope it until I was 57.  I was a sun worshiper, mother was not. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                                    Participant

My mother had melanoma when she was about 26 – stage unknown.  She survived with no reoccurance.  I didn't develope it until I was 57.  I was a sun worshiper, mother was not. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                                      Participant

Mary

Stage 3

JC
                                                        Participant

No family history of melanoma.  Just too many bad sunburns growing up, with very fair skin.

JC
                                                          Participant

No family history of melanoma.  Just too many bad sunburns growing up, with very fair skin.

JC
                                                            Participant

TSchulz
                                                              Participant

No family history.  Fair skin with lots of moles and sunburns in the summer growing up.  

TSchulz
                                                                Participant

No family history.  Fair skin with lots of moles and sunburns in the summer growing up.  

TSchulz
                                                                  Participant

Liz C
                                                                    Participant

No family history. 17 years in Hawaii, though, hundreds of moles, lots of childhood sunburns. Previous squamous cell carcinomas on skin. 

Liz C
                                                                      Participant

No family history. 17 years in Hawaii, though, hundreds of moles, lots of childhood sunburns. Previous squamous cell carcinomas on skin. 

Liz C
                                                                        Participant

melalisa
                                                                          Participant

The only family history for me is basil cell carcinoma. No melanoma. I have fair skin, lots of sunburns, and used tanning beds as a teenager and in my 20's.

melalisa
                                                                            Participant

The only family history for me is basil cell carcinoma. No melanoma. I have fair skin, lots of sunburns, and used tanning beds as a teenager and in my 20's.

melalisa
                                                                              Participant

Swanee
                                                                                Participant

I think this is a great question and many times I  have wanted to ask it in a general way.  Also, I wish everyone would post other significant details in their profiles so when we are researching we can identify specific details that we can identify with,  that  might be  requirements in many trials or treatments that we are considering or  participating in….. it would really  help alot.

No family history.  I am the pale/medium skin complexion, light blue eyes and blond, Northern Swede scandanavian and I'm almost the same as my Dad, except he had a very olive complexion and absolutely no skin issues whatsoever!   However my father's family is plagued with auto immune disorders.  Now my mother's side is quite healthy but they had some weird skin disorders, mostly ichthyosis….have you every heard of that one?  I truly believe it is the combination of my parents genes, the fact that I grew up in a house of smokers and early sunburns as a kid (I live in Seattle) hello!!

I was diagnosed at stage 4, which was shocking to my dermotologist as I have never had any skin cancer of any kind, never a suspicious mole and  I don't even have moles!!  However, I am 56 and in my day, suntan was everything and I live in Seattle…rain, rain, rain!  So when the sun did come out we slathered our bodies with baby oil and went out all day knowing we would probably burn,  but BURN is good…turns into TAN…Right??  I think that is a huge part of this puzzle, to much sun at an early age and depending on your family history and the inherited genes, your skin might have been to fragile to handle the intense sun.  I've heard the common factor of to much intense sun at one time verses a gradual conditioning of suntan, I do think there is a huge difference!

I did use a tanning bed a few times from age 35 to 45, always starting minimally and building, never intensely, mostly to obtain a small tan before going to a tropical place but probably only 2 or 3 times in my lifetime.    One thing I've thought of is that I used a low grade of antibiotics for acne in my teens and twenties which causes your skin to be more sensitive to the sun, may causing sunburn ……that has caused me concern.  

This is a great question and I'm glad you asked it, it is very interesting and thought provoking to read all the answers.  Sometimes I think we are the scientists here….. we have practical  knowledge.

Best wishes to all on this site…I love you all!

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                  Participant

I think this is a great question and many times I  have wanted to ask it in a general way.  Also, I wish everyone would post other significant details in their profiles so when we are researching we can identify specific details that we can identify with,  that  might be  requirements in many trials or treatments that we are considering or  participating in….. it would really  help alot.

No family history.  I am the pale/medium skin complexion, light blue eyes and blond, Northern Swede scandanavian and I'm almost the same as my Dad, except he had a very olive complexion and absolutely no skin issues whatsoever!   However my father's family is plagued with auto immune disorders.  Now my mother's side is quite healthy but they had some weird skin disorders, mostly ichthyosis….have you every heard of that one?  I truly believe it is the combination of my parents genes, the fact that I grew up in a house of smokers and early sunburns as a kid (I live in Seattle) hello!!

I was diagnosed at stage 4, which was shocking to my dermotologist as I have never had any skin cancer of any kind, never a suspicious mole and  I don't even have moles!!  However, I am 56 and in my day, suntan was everything and I live in Seattle…rain, rain, rain!  So when the sun did come out we slathered our bodies with baby oil and went out all day knowing we would probably burn,  but BURN is good…turns into TAN…Right??  I think that is a huge part of this puzzle, to much sun at an early age and depending on your family history and the inherited genes, your skin might have been to fragile to handle the intense sun.  I've heard the common factor of to much intense sun at one time verses a gradual conditioning of suntan, I do think there is a huge difference!

I did use a tanning bed a few times from age 35 to 45, always starting minimally and building, never intensely, mostly to obtain a small tan before going to a tropical place but probably only 2 or 3 times in my lifetime.    One thing I've thought of is that I used a low grade of antibiotics for acne in my teens and twenties which causes your skin to be more sensitive to the sun, may causing sunburn ……that has caused me concern.  

This is a great question and I'm glad you asked it, it is very interesting and thought provoking to read all the answers.  Sometimes I think we are the scientists here….. we have practical  knowledge.

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                    Participant

Swanee

Amanda
                                                                                      Participant

My Boyfriends Mother had melanoma at age 44, with brain metastasis and died at 45. My boyfriend was diagnosed stage 4 at 44 as well, with brain metastasis.  He has no primary, and the doctors said they believed he got it from his mom.    

Amanda
                                                                                        Participant

My Boyfriends Mother had melanoma at age 44, with brain metastasis and died at 45. My boyfriend was diagnosed stage 4 at 44 as well, with brain metastasis.  He has no primary, and the doctors said they believed he got it from his mom.    

Amanda
                                                                                          Participant

AngelaM
                                                                                            Participant

No family history. No cancer of any kind in my immediate family either. I had three primary mels in two year period, first one at age 28. Lots of bad sun exposure and lots of burns as a teenager and as a child. Many moderately to severely dysplastic moles removed starting at about the age of 9. Father and sister have hundreds of moles (as do I), but theirs have been checked and nothing!

AngelaM
                                                                                              Participant

No family history. No cancer of any kind in my immediate family either. I had three primary mels in two year period, first one at age 28. Lots of bad sun exposure and lots of burns as a teenager and as a child. Many moderately to severely dysplastic moles removed starting at about the age of 9. Father and sister have hundreds of moles (as do I), but theirs have been checked and nothing!

AngelaM
                                                                                                Participant

JC
                                                                                                  Participant

Seems incorrect with all these responses to suggest that sun exposure does not cause skin cancer.  I've read before on this board sometimes where it's suggested intense sun exposure/sunburns, etc. . isn't the culprit.  Seems it most definitely is, along with a certain high risk skin type.

deardad
                                                                                                      Participant

I don't know where my dad's melanoma came from. I do know that he spent his summers from the age of 5-10yrs at a pool where I'm sure he got burnt regularly (no sunscreen then). He wasn't olive but wasnt fair either, lot of moles. Up until his retirement at 63, he spent his life working in doors under fluro lights. We have no history of melanoma in our family. Dad's melanoma grew within a keratosis on his stomach that he had for over 10 or more years. I don't know that we will ever get to the bottom of what really triggers this cancer, I believe it's combination of so many things, ie too much sun, not enough sun, immune disorders, skin type/family history. Most people are burnt at some point in their lives so easy to correlate sunburn to melanoma but I'm just not convinced that the sun is the only factor (but I'm not a doctor either).  I think many people can live their lives with a melanoma and never know, because their immune system has been able to fight it off before it gets to any stage. The more I learn about this cancer, the more confused I get…..

deardad
                                                                                                        Participant

I don't know where my dad's melanoma came from. I do know that he spent his summers from the age of 5-10yrs at a pool where I'm sure he got burnt regularly (no sunscreen then). He wasn't olive but wasnt fair either, lot of moles. Up until his retirement at 63, he spent his life working in doors under fluro lights. We have no history of melanoma in our family. Dad's melanoma grew within a keratosis on his stomach that he had for over 10 or more years. I don't know that we will ever get to the bottom of what really triggers this cancer, I believe it's combination of so many things, ie too much sun, not enough sun, immune disorders, skin type/family history. Most people are burnt at some point in their lives so easy to correlate sunburn to melanoma but I'm just not convinced that the sun is the only factor (but I'm not a doctor either).  I think many people can live their lives with a melanoma and never know, because their immune system has been able to fight it off before it gets to any stage. The more I learn about this cancer, the more confused I get…..

deardad
                                                                                                          Participant

JC
                                                                                                          Participant

Seems incorrect with all these responses to suggest that sun exposure does not cause skin cancer.  I've read before on this board sometimes where it's suggested intense sun exposure/sunburns, etc. . isn't the culprit.  Seems it most definitely is, along with a certain high risk skin type.

JC
                                                                                                            Participant

buffcody
                                                                                                              Participant

I'm 72 and my melanoma was discovered Stage IV in my lung at age 71, 7 months ago, with unknown primary.  In fact, when it was found I went through the round of doctors to see if they might ferret out a primary–opthamologist, gastroenterologist, podiatrist, and, of course, dermatologist, whom I had been seeing every year for a full body check because of familial melanoma. He said he doubted I had ever had skin melanoma, though at Sloan Kettering they felt that was the most likely scenario.  There is a literature on primary melanoma to the lung, but the doctors I have dealt with, though they cannot rule it out, consider it is probably mythical.

Family history: Mother, stage 1 melanoma at 61, died of lymphoma.  Father and mother lots of skin cancer.  Me, never.  Nephew, sister's boy, died of melanoma at 29, diagnosed Stage 2.  Two first cousins on mother's side, melanoma.  Another first cousin,  a possibly related disease, Ewing's sarcoma, died at 21.  Mother's sister, died of pancreatic cancer at 73.  Genetics folks tell me that may be related, but it would cost me $2000 to see if a gene I carry has familial implications for both melanoma and pancreatic cancer, and it would not help my treatment and family is not interested.  I am a male breast cancer survivor, tested for BRCA gene, which shows genetic tendencies, though I think only toward breast cancer, and is relatively more common in males.  Don't have it.

mel123
                                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you all for answering! It definitely appears to be a combination of genetics and environment, but like someone said, I don't think we'll ever really know exactly what causes our particular cancer. I think we have to do our best with the sun (I don't avoid it 100% but I'm careful post-melanoma), and checking in with the dermatologist as appropriate. All the precautions in the world can't stop you from having cancer, heart disease, etc, so I think we have to find a balance where we can enjoy life while trying to be our healthiest. 

I wish all of you guys the best, this is a club no one wants to join, but I have been blessed after being a part of it. Happiest of Holidays to all of you!!

mel123
                                                                                                                    Participant

Thank you all for answering! It definitely appears to be a combination of genetics and environment, but like someone said, I don't think we'll ever really know exactly what causes our particular cancer. I think we have to do our best with the sun (I don't avoid it 100% but I'm careful post-melanoma), and checking in with the dermatologist as appropriate. All the precautions in the world can't stop you from having cancer, heart disease, etc, so I think we have to find a balance where we can enjoy life while trying to be our healthiest. 

I wish all of you guys the best, this is a club no one wants to join, but I have been blessed after being a part of it. Happiest of Holidays to all of you!!

mel123
                                                                                                                      Participant

Janner
                                                                                                                        Participant

I have that gene defect that you would be tested for (CDKN2A) and it does require a strong family history of melanoma.  The second highest cancer risk is pancreatic cancer.  I believe there is also a higher risk for breast cancer but at the time of my testing, it was not called out with any specific numbers.  I did my testing as part of a clinical trial so didn't have to pay out of pocket for it.  But you're right on one score, it changes nothing in regards to treatment.  The only additional thing I could do was get scanned for pancreatic cancer.  But getting scans based on genetic testing doesn't work with insurance so I'm not doing that either.  I am adopted so do not know my family history, but my 3 primary melanoma sites put me at higher risk for this defect so I was included in the clinical trial.  The irony of it all is that both my adoptive parents have melanoma.  Mom (stage 0) and Dad (stage IV) – both diagnosed in their 80's which isn't uncommon. 

Janner

Janner
                                                                                                                          Participant

I have that gene defect that you would be tested for (CDKN2A) and it does require a strong family history of melanoma.  The second highest cancer risk is pancreatic cancer.  I believe there is also a higher risk for breast cancer but at the time of my testing, it was not called out with any specific numbers.  I did my testing as part of a clinical trial so didn't have to pay out of pocket for it.  But you're right on one score, it changes nothing in regards to treatment.  The only additional thing I could do was get scanned for pancreatic cancer.  But getting scans based on genetic testing doesn't work with insurance so I'm not doing that either.  I am adopted so do not know my family history, but my 3 primary melanoma sites put me at higher risk for this defect so I was included in the clinical trial.  The irony of it all is that both my adoptive parents have melanoma.  Mom (stage 0) and Dad (stage IV) – both diagnosed in their 80's which isn't uncommon. 

Janner

Janner
                                                                                                                            Participant

Janner

buffcody
                                                                                                                              Participant

Slight correction.  I used the term "familial" melanoma.  I should have said melanoma in the family.  I don't know if my melanoma, despite a number family members on mother's side having it, qualifies scientifically as "familial."

buffcody
                                                                                                                                Participant

Slight correction.  I used the term "familial" melanoma.  I should have said melanoma in the family.  I don't know if my melanoma, despite a number family members on mother's side having it, qualifies scientifically as "familial."

buffcody
                                                                                                                                  Participant

buffcody
                                                                                                                                  Participant

I'm 72 and my melanoma was discovered Stage IV in my lung at age 71, 7 months ago, with unknown primary.  In fact, when it was found I went through the round of doctors to see if they might ferret out a primary–opthamologist, gastroenterologist, podiatrist, and, of course, dermatologist, whom I had been seeing every year for a full body check because of familial melanoma. He said he doubted I had ever had skin melanoma, though at Sloan Kettering they felt that was the most likely scenario.  There is a literature on primary melanoma to the lung, but the doctors I have dealt with, though they cannot rule it out, consider it is probably mythical.

Family history: Mother, stage 1 melanoma at 61, died of lymphoma.  Father and mother lots of skin cancer.  Me, never.  Nephew, sister's boy, died of melanoma at 29, diagnosed Stage 2.  Two first cousins on mother's side, melanoma.  Another first cousin,  a possibly related disease, Ewing's sarcoma, died at 21.  Mother's sister, died of pancreatic cancer at 73.  Genetics folks tell me that may be related, but it would cost me $2000 to see if a gene I carry has familial implications for both melanoma and pancreatic cancer, and it would not help my treatment and family is not interested.  I am a male breast cancer survivor, tested for BRCA gene, which shows genetic tendencies, though I think only toward breast cancer, and is relatively more common in males.  Don't have it.

buffcody
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Minnesota
                                                                                                                                      Participant

No family history for me.

I fit other risks: Red (more red/blonde) hair, fair skin, long-term corticosteriod patient, intermittent sun exposure in winter (vacations, although I was protected).

I never tanned, stayed in the shade/protected my skin in the sun. One time in 1986, a coworker talked me into going to a tanning salon and I was on the bed for a few seconds and hated the way it made me feel like I was being microwaved, and never went back. 

Minnesota
                                                                                                                                        Participant

I fit other risks: Red (more red/blonde) hair, fair skin, long-term corticosteriod patient, intermittent sun exposure in winter (vacations, although I was protected).

I never tanned, stayed in the shade/protected my skin in the sun. One time in 1986, a coworker talked me into going to a tanning salon and I was on the bed for a few seconds and hated the way it made me feel like I was being microwaved, and never went back. 

Minnesota
                                                                                                                                          Participant

lou2
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Got burned when teenaged, many years ago, more than once.  No burns or significant sun exposure for the last 20 years.  No melanoma in family, but sister who has an outside job has had several basal cell carcinomas.  Both parents died of cancer, not the same one and not melanoma.  A fair amount of cancer on my mother's side, but some of it was predictable.  Two heavy smoking uncles died of lung cancer.

The current theory about cancer has to do with inflammation causing changes that knock out the function of tumor suppressor genes.  Inflammation is an environmental effect most likely, and could come from infection, any number of chemical or other toxin exposures, etc.  So, maybe you could say that people who have the wrong genetic makeup would be more influenced by those inflammatory events.  But it seems to me that so manymore  people get cancer nowadays, that the genetic component can't explain it all.  Got to be coming more from epigenetic influences.

Here are two articles that explain this inflammation theory.  I found it fascinating because I have a chronic inflammatory disease which may have produced these changes and allowed melanoma to develop.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/33377/title/An-Epi-Phenomenon/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3220885/

I realize this does not help us with our immediate need to get effective treatment, but knowing how cancer develops must surely help at some day.

Tracy Seattle
                                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                                  Thanks so much for posting. Very fascinating!!
                                                                                                                                                  Tracy Seattle
                                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                                    Tracy Seattle
                                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                                    lou2
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Got burned when teenaged, many years ago, more than once.  No burns or significant sun exposure for the last 20 years.  No melanoma in family, but sister who has an outside job has had several basal cell carcinomas.  Both parents died of cancer, not the same one and not melanoma.  A fair amount of cancer on my mother's side, but some of it was predictable.  Two heavy smoking uncles died of lung cancer.

The current theory about cancer has to do with inflammation causing changes that knock out the function of tumor suppressor genes.  Inflammation is an environmental effect most likely, and could come from infection, any number of chemical or other toxin exposures, etc.  So, maybe you could say that people who have the wrong genetic makeup would be more influenced by those inflammatory events.  But it seems to me that so manymore  people get cancer nowadays, that the genetic component can't explain it all.  Got to be coming more from epigenetic influences.

Here are two articles that explain this inflammation theory.  I found it fascinating because I have a chronic inflammatory disease which may have produced these changes and allowed melanoma to develop.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/33377/title/An-Epi-Phenomenon/

I realize this does not help us with our immediate need to get effective treatment, but knowing how cancer develops must surely help at some day.

lou2
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

MikeWI
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

No family history of melanoma.  In my family we tend to be blue eyed and fair skined.  Many of us have the red hair from our Irish descent.  I believe my melanoma was caused by exposure to sunlight during my active outdoor life, especially in the days before sunscreen.  I was never a tanner.

There is a history of Throat cancer in my family in the men.  This was due to many of them being smokers.  Thankfully I am not a smoker!  The women in may family lived very long life and died of old age, not cancer.

Thanks,

MikeWI

stage 2c currently NED

MikeWI
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

No family history of melanoma.  In my family we tend to be blue eyed and fair skined.  Many of us have the red hair from our Irish descent.  I believe my melanoma was caused by exposure to sunlight during my active outdoor life, especially in the days before sunscreen.  I was never a tanner.

There is a history of Throat cancer in my family in the men.  This was due to many of them being smokers.  Thankfully I am not a smoker!  The women in may family lived very long life and died of old age, not cancer.

Thanks,

MikeWI

stage 2c currently NED

MikeWI
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Thanks,

MikeWI

stage 2c currently NED

fdess056
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

I've always wondered about this myself.  My father and his sister both had minor cases of melanoma that were removed with out-patient surgery and no other treatment.  I assume it was considered in situ.  There is a long history of cancer in my family.  My father died of throat cancer. my maternal grandmother of colon cancer, my Mom is still alive but battling leukemia  I was diagnosed 3 years ago with stage 3C melanoma ans have been stage 4 for 14 months

FrankD Brooklyn

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Wayne had no Melanoma in his family history.   He is the first.   His primary was found behind his right ear lobe like the back of an earring.   I HAPPEN to find it because I cut his hair.   (SUN NEVER BURNED THERE and I do not believe that theory since they've seen babies as young as 6 months old at MDA with it , and the Mother did not have it – nor the father….that's just my humble opinion on the SUN THING :-). 

He did have Colon Cancer 22 years prior, but THEY SAY, it is not related.   Hummmmmmm

INTERESTING POST !  THANKS !

BLESSINGS of NED TO EVERYONE !   ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne)   <><

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Wayne had no Melanoma in his family history.   He is the first.   His primary was found behind his right ear lobe like the back of an earring.   I HAPPEN to find it because I cut his hair.   (SUN NEVER BURNED THERE and I do not believe that theory since they've seen babies as young as 6 months old at MDA with it , and the Mother did not have it – nor the father….that's just my humble opinion on the SUN THING :-). 

He did have Colon Cancer 22 years prior, but THEY SAY, it is not related.   Hummmmmmm

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

fdess056
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

I've always wondered about this myself.  My father and his sister both had minor cases of melanoma that were removed with out-patient surgery and no other treatment.  I assume it was considered in situ.  There is a long history of cancer in my family.  My father died of throat cancer. my maternal grandmother of colon cancer, my Mom is still alive but battling leukemia  I was diagnosed 3 years ago with stage 3C melanoma ans have been stage 4 for 14 months

FrankD Brooklyn

fdess056
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

FrankD Brooklyn

scots
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

My mother had insitu melanoma with no reocurrence prior to my diagnosis.    She has had lots pre-cancerous spots taken care of by her derm and several Basils removed.   I had a genetic test done to see if I had a certain gene that could be passed on to my children which I don't.  I can not remember what that test was called now. My oncologist recomended it.  My daughter happens to be fair skinned and red hair so I'm always watching her.

Scot

scots
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

My mother had insitu melanoma with no reocurrence prior to my diagnosis.    She has had lots pre-cancerous spots taken care of by her derm and several Basils removed.   I had a genetic test done to see if I had a certain gene that could be passed on to my children which I don't.  I can not remember what that test was called now. My oncologist recomended it.  My daughter happens to be fair skinned and red hair so I'm always watching her.

Scot

scots
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Scot

krem
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

I have family history of other skin cancers, but not melanoma in any immediate family members. I was diagnosed with melanoma in situ last summer (at 18!), and I read an interesting article online about what the study called "familial melanoma." Such a young age at diagnosis definitely suggests a significant genetic component, maybe even a determinant?

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/86/18/1385.short  —> interesting article

http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/familial-malignant-melanoma  —> the aforementioned study

DonnaK
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

My husband (Stage 3C) has a long family history of Melanoma, but also spent one summer baking in Arizona, so we suspect his case is likely a combination of sun exposure and genetics.  So far, we know his great-aunt, two uncles, and one cousin all have various stages of Melanoma.  His family also has a long history of other types of cancer…

DonnaK
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

My husband (Stage 3C) has a long family history of Melanoma, but also spent one summer baking in Arizona, so we suspect his case is likely a combination of sun exposure and genetics.  So far, we know his great-aunt, two uncles, and one cousin all have various stages of Melanoma.  His family also has a long history of other types of cancer…

DonnaK
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

krem
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

I have family history of other skin cancers, but not melanoma in any immediate family members. I was diagnosed with melanoma in situ last summer (at 18!), and I read an interesting article online about what the study called "familial melanoma." Such a young age at diagnosis definitely suggests a significant genetic component, maybe even a determinant?

http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/familial-malignant-melanoma  —> the aforementioned study

krem
                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

No familial history of melanoma. My younger brother died from esophagal cancer. I am covered in moles, have been sunburned badly a couple of times when I was in my early teens (raised, fluid-filled blisters), and spent a couple of months strolling the beaches ieach year n Jamaica in 2003 – 2005.

My primary was smack dab in the middle of the bald spot on the top of my head, so sun exposure could certainly be a candidate for me.

– Paul.

vivian
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

No family history of melanoma, but lots and lots of other cancers on both sides of my family – pancreatic, esophageal, head and neck, colon, liver, and bone marrow.  My melanoma is suspected to be secondary to the bone marrow transplant prep regimen of chemo and whole body radiation 10 years ago.  BUT….I did spend years slathered in baby oil and iodine,  trying to get as brown as possible under the South Carolina sun in my youth!   Our family has always been "beach people", so I pray my children and grandchildren won't be victims of our love of the water and the sun.

vivian
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

No family history of melanoma, but lots and lots of other cancers on both sides of my family – pancreatic, esophageal, head and neck, colon, liver, and bone marrow.  My melanoma is suspected to be secondary to the bone marrow transplant prep regimen of chemo and whole body radiation 10 years ago.  BUT….I did spend years slathered in baby oil and iodine,  trying to get as brown as possible under the South Carolina sun in my youth!   Our family has always been "beach people", so I pray my children and grandchildren won't be victims of our love of the water and the sun.

vivian
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

No familial history of melanoma. My younger brother died from esophagal cancer. I am covered in moles, have been sunburned badly a couple of times when I was in my early teens (raised, fluid-filled blisters), and spent a couple of months strolling the beaches ieach year n Jamaica in 2003 – 2005.

My primary was smack dab in the middle of the bald spot on the top of my head, so sun exposure could certainly be a candidate for me.

– Paul.

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

– Paul.

Tracy Seattle
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Wow!! This has been fascinating reading, thanks for posting this. I have no history of Melanoma in my family. My father’s side has a lot of cancer. My dad had kidney cancer, he was not expected to survive, they only did surgery to relieve pain from the tumor. He’s 12 years out healthy as ever. His sister had stage 4 colon cancer, was mis-diagnosed for over a year, she had surgery, did one round of chemo, knew that would kill her, went completely alternative and is alive and well 12 years later. Uncle with multiple myeloma just under went stem cell transplant. I guess what I can say, is so far, we are surviving and doing are best to kick cancer’s butt!

I have never been a sun worshiper but am fair with blue eyes. I probably had a sunburn as a kid but nothing I remember.

One thing that I have always found interesting, starting at age 2 to age 4 I received weekly Gamma Globulin injections. My mom said there was something going on with my immune system and this is how it was treated. She doesn’t remember too much other then I would get very sick often and this was the doctor’s treatment. Curious, here I am 45 years later, doctors trying to fire up an immune system response again.

I am not convinced that sun is the only culprit.

Good question!! Thanks again for asking it!

mel123
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Thanks again to everyone for responding! Reading all the responses has been very interesting and informative. I think it's safe to say that we can't pinpoint one thing that caused our different melanomas. The most important things are to be safe when it comes to the sun, and vigilant about having our skin checked, and insistant that if we feel like a mole needs to be biopsied, it gets biopsied. Otherwise, eat healthy, exercise, and just try to be the healthiest we can be overall! 

Wishing all of you lots of NED reports in 2013!! 

Melissa ๐Ÿ™‚

mel123
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Thanks again to everyone for responding! Reading all the responses has been very interesting and informative. I think it's safe to say that we can't pinpoint one thing that caused our different melanomas. The most important things are to be safe when it comes to the sun, and vigilant about having our skin checked, and insistant that if we feel like a mole needs to be biopsied, it gets biopsied. Otherwise, eat healthy, exercise, and just try to be the healthiest we can be overall! 

Melissa ๐Ÿ™‚

mel123
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Melissa ๐Ÿ™‚

Tracy Seattle
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Wow!! This has been fascinating reading, thanks for posting this. I have no history of Melanoma in my family. My father’s side has a lot of cancer. My dad had kidney cancer, he was not expected to survive, they only did surgery to relieve pain from the tumor. He’s 12 years out healthy as ever. His sister had stage 4 colon cancer, was mis-diagnosed for over a year, she had surgery, did one round of chemo, knew that would kill her, went completely alternative and is alive and well 12 years later. Uncle with multiple myeloma just under went stem cell transplant. I guess what I can say, is so far, we are surviving and doing are best to kick cancer’s butt!

I have never been a sun worshiper but am fair with blue eyes. I probably had a sunburn as a kid but nothing I remember.

One thing that I have always found interesting, starting at age 2 to age 4 I received weekly Gamma Globulin injections. My mom said there was something going on with my immune system and this is how it was treated. She doesn’t remember too much other then I would get very sick often and this was the doctor’s treatment. Curious, here I am 45 years later, doctors trying to fire up an immune system response again.

Tracy Seattle
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Viewing 74 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics