The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone with experience of delayed response to ipi nivo combo please ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone with experience of delayed response to ipi nivo combo please ?

Participant

Hi,

Have had 3 doses of ipi nivo over 15 weeks, delays due raised AST ALT so have had one 6 week drug hol and dose 4 should have been yesterday, but back on 50mg pred as numbers raised again in spite of 10mg pred daily after dose 3.

12 week scan showed liver progression..but that would be a compare to reference scan 5 weeks before treatment start and after 2 doses plus 6 week drug holiday BRAF wild type and in the uk.

Mood music from docs is that they think true progression rather than psuedo progression, and took a blood to test if eligible for immunocore trial https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02535078?term=immunocore&rank=3

Anyone out there with experience of "late " response to combo with diffuse liver mets ?

Feeling a bit punch drunk as the bad news keeps on coming- anyone been transitioned to nivo solo with grade 2 liver probs with suspected progression ?

Any experience / info good or bad welcome. Was sort of hopeful for a response with mild vitiligo and with  some superficial skin lesions fading away. Back in the waiting game now as I think next scan will be used to determine next steps

The white knuckle ride continues……

Wishing you all well

Deb

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Scooby123
        Participant

Hi Deb,

i am sure you get a few on here with experience with this treatment. I just had ippi, where in UK are you and am braf neg too. Did speak to consultant regarding this treatment but was not sure on guide lines of getting it . I too have liver tumours. Keep up the good fight.

Scooby x

debwray
            Participant

Hi Scooby,

On Checkmate 401 at the Christie Manchester….ALT,AST, Gamma GT Alk Phos and LDH all going in the wrong direction. Even blood sugar elevated too yesterday- hope its not steroid induced diabetes to add to the list. Think nivo only side effect guide allowed higher ALT AST levels if you had liver mets but think mine are now borderline (at best ) for discontinuance per the formal side effect guidelines … Suppose I just need to get some things ticked off my list whilst I have the benefit of steroid energy.

Thanks for the reply, it does help to know you are not on your own dealing with this but I would not wish it on anyone.

Think NHS England are making things difficult to get ipi nivo unless you fit the original trial criteria as they are saying approved on the basis of trial population – so anyone with brain mets can not access the treatment in England.

Best wishes,

Deb

Coneflowers
            Participant
              Hi, not the same treatment as my daughter is just on Opdivo. She has multiple tumors in her liver and other places. Before she started her liver numbers were elavated. It took months for them to come down. Also her first scan showed everything bigger. I watched tumors grow during this time, it was awful! Her next scan showed things stable, and some smaller! She has now been stable for almost a year. Her labs look great!! Liver numbers are perfect. I know sometimes it is hard, but please try and stay positive. It does so much for your soul! Take care!
                debwray
                Participant

Hi Coneflowers,

Thank you for taking the time to respond

Am trying to construct a positive version of possible outcomes but that version of events seems to have had a bit of a kicking recently .. so your daughters story is encouraging to hear. Stable is good in melanomaworld but shrinkage is better- and as we both know growth and new tumours is scary awful…. but if you can go from that stable or less it is comforting to hear…especially after the disappointment of no treatment yesterday or for a minimum of a month given the need for steroid taper.

Like you say -trying to feed the soul with possible reasons to stay cheerful – as it does help me annd my loved ones..

Thanks again,

Deb

snow white
                Participant

No experience here, Dad will be getting his 2nd ipi infusion on Friday.  I am so sorry that you are going through such a rough patch.  Keep up the fine fight, you are such a wonderful source of encouragement to others, I hate that you are feeling discouraged about your situation.  Let's just hope that this is a temporary bump in the road and that you can move onto the next up and coming treatment.  Its so hard with the ups and downs of Mel.  It sure does wreak havoc on the emotions.  Sending you positive thoughts and virtual hugs.  

xo Jen

debwray
                    Participant

Thanks Jen-

Just need to process it all then work out how to take advantage of the steroid bounce I guess. Hoping next scan has better news rather than confirmation of progression…but not confident at the moment .

Thanks for the hugs and good vibes.

Deb

xx

keepthefaith11
                    Participant
                      Deb, I am so sorry you are feeling down. As others have said you are such a supportive, wonderful person! Just wanted to send you big hugs, a boost of strength and positivity and fingers crossed for good things to come.

Annie

debwray
                        Participant

Hi Annie,

Thanks for the good wishes. Mri was clear for hypophysitis in the end but looks like I'm on the edge of steroid induced diabetes…Keep telling myself scan was only after two treatments -maybe third one will have made the difference.. but feel unlikely to get dose 4 . Hope your Dad is feeling a bit better. it is tough on the patient and their loved ones dealing with this terrible disease.

best wishes

Deb

maperny
                        Participant

Hi Deb,

Sorry about the current difficulties.  Hopefully you will get to do the last combo treatment and everything is just taking its time to kick in,  

just in case, Is there any possibility of doing a TIL process in Manchester?  Or any other clinical trials you can look into?

meantime, hope you get a plurge of energy with the steroids and can enjoy doing some things you love.

Maria

Mark_DC
                          Participant

Hi Deb,

sorry to hear your bad news, or rather that you are down, you help others here lots

i am not an expert but honestly i dont think you have enough info yet. As you mention, your 12 week scan was only after two treatments, so i think its too early to say, that means your next scan takes on more significance which must be stressful, but even then i think it might be too early to determine (if scan is mixed) because you have not had so much treatment.

from my experience, my follow up scan was not great after three or four keytruda, but we could see visible improvement based on physical observatoin of the spot on my leg which got worse before erupting and now seems to disappear (again dont have supporitve scans yet to back up what we saw with our own eyes). It could be that your baseline scan was early, the tumour got worse and progressed, the treatment starts, it works, it improves but relative to the first scan which took place too long ago you show progression even when things are actually improving

like you i am in a waiting game, my alt is too high, it came down with steroids and of coruse i was active 🙂 like the energizer bunny. Niw the alt back uo again, so pausing treatment until comes down again (we hope). I dont like this waiting game at all, and scans will come again soon, but you/ we have to hope that the meds are working. I think in your case too early to tell and hope the doctors reach same conclusion. So please dont think of the worst ( i must admit i do) but hope this will work out. Good luck, Mark

Bubbles
                            Participant

Sorry you are dealing with this, Deb.

You may have already seen this graph…but while it shows that most folks show a response to ipi/nivo in about 10-12 weeks…there are those who did not respond until 6-10 months!

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/02/time-to-responseipi-vs-nivo-and-ipi.html

On Psuedoprogression and response times…this post contains a link to a really good slide presentation by Ascierto:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/06/if-you-like-graphs-cool-pics-and-fairly.html

I'll add one more post below…..

Bubbles
                                Participant

And there's this….about folks who had to stop the combo due to side effects:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/05/asco-2016-nivo-plus-ipi-checkmate-069.html

I know none of these posts fully encompass your entire situation….but for what it's worth.  Wishing you my best. c

debwray
                                  Participant

Thanks to all for responding. I can usually look for thebright side but reading the docs body language think they have two possible reasons to stop meds- disease progression and grade 3 toxicity on rechallenge and the immunocore trial is all they can offer and only 50/50 to qualify.Til trial registered but not participating due to budgets/replication outside of USA centre of excellence.

Got home to new scan date 11/3/2017 so will not get dose 4 in before then given need to taper pred. Am fearful that this will be the trial endpoint for me- hence the blood screenining for the immunore trial.

Just crossing my fingers that the lead investigator will put some of the liver results down to the liver mets not meds and leave it as say a grade 2 and allow continuation on Nivo to give a chance of a delayed response but am sure he will have my best interests in mind before making a call.

Trials are difficult- if you only scan at 12 weeks and most respond by this point  then choosing the point of measurement almost dictates the recorded median response time- as faster responses gon unrecorded and if you stop treatment too early- later responses may also be missed – and might even be more expected if treatment postponed due to adverse events…

Will try to distract myself and hope my luck will change.Thanks for digging out the links, will have a good look and try and tell myself I can be a late responder.

Best wishes to all

Deb

Mat
                                  Participant

Sorry to hear Deb.  I wish that I had some insights.  I guess in either case (existing trial or new trial), the focus has to be on tapering down the prednisone, which is sometimes easier said than done.

tschmith
                                    Participant

Deb…I hope and pray you have a delayed response.  I'm wild type too and was treated with Keytruda. So far so good…I've been off treatment for about 1 1/2 years. Scans soon.  I don't have liver mets but my tumor burden was substantial.  I like that you had some vitiligo and skin lesions. I did too.  

Best wishes to you.  

Terrie

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics