The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice on Working

Forums General Melanoma Community Advice on Working

Participant

I was originally diagnosed with stage III melanoma in March 2011.  Had a recurrence this past Setpember with a large brain MET.  I had a craniotomy and treated with Yervoy.  About a month ago we found mets in brain and lungs.  Started on Keytruda and had gamma knife radiation last week.

I am a young attorney and it is a stressfull job.  Although I am not experiencing any debilitating side effects at this time, it is taking an emotional toll on me.  I am having trouble concentrating and the stress can be overwhelming.  I want to get a sense of what is typical in this situation.  Should I plow ahead and do my best to work through this?  Should I consider taking some time off to concentrate on getting my mind and body right?  I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and personal experiences.

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        mary1233
        Participant

Brian – My best wishes are with you.

I am an accountant and decided to work as long as I could during my treatment which was chemo.

In one way it was hard because I had to deal with the nausea and fatigue which got worse as time went on. I would come home and collapse.

On the other hand, it was the best thing I could have done because it gave me something very intense to occupy my mind. I do better when I am not in complete control of my mind – my motto for living is why wait when you can panic ahead of time. Work helped me keep things under control.

It does not have to be all or nothing. See how you feel and go from there.

Good luck.

Mary

mary1233
          Participant

I am an accountant and decided to work as long as I could during my treatment which was chemo.

In one way it was hard because I had to deal with the nausea and fatigue which got worse as time went on. I would come home and collapse.

On the other hand, it was the best thing I could have done because it gave me something very intense to occupy my mind. I do better when I am not in complete control of my mind – my motto for living is why wait when you can panic ahead of time. Work helped me keep things under control.

Good luck.

Mary

mary1233
            Participant

Good luck.

Mary

arthurjedi007
              Participant

I was a computer programmer. Very high paced and stressful but I was really good at it.

I worked from home through the radiation treatments fine. Then one dose of zommeta and I was bed ridden and my jaw was a mess I couldn't chew. So my boss said go on short term disability. Two weeks later I was fine again. But I started zelboraf which was really bad side affects for me. So long term disability.

Fortunately my retired parents moved in with me so being home is like early retirement. I play a computer game online a lot so I keep myself occupied. The way I look at it I have to take care of my health first. If some day I'm cured then I can try to work again. Some people from work have already died from their cancer and they continued to work instead of researching and trying everything they could. Like one guy was looking so healthy with his brain tumor when I left but instead of going to like mda or some big place he stuck with the local place here and a few months later he was gone. At least one of those was diagnosed after me. Poor lady:( 

So I don't know why or how I'm still here but I believe if I had tried to continue to work and just trust these doctors here I would be gone. heck if it wasn't for the folks on here I wouldn't have got keytruda until 4 months later so I would have been gone by then.

I know I couldn't do the job as good as I could before so it just isn't worth it to me. Both physically and mentally I just wouldn't be as good. My coworkers said I was the best and I wouldn't want them to have to deal with a broken me.

So that's just my rambling opinion.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

I was a computer programmer. Very high paced and stressful but I was really good at it.

I worked from home through the radiation treatments fine. Then one dose of zommeta and I was bed ridden and my jaw was a mess I couldn't chew. So my boss said go on short term disability. Two weeks later I was fine again. But I started zelboraf which was really bad side affects for me. So long term disability.

Fortunately my retired parents moved in with me so being home is like early retirement. I play a computer game online a lot so I keep myself occupied. The way I look at it I have to take care of my health first. If some day I'm cured then I can try to work again. Some people from work have already died from their cancer and they continued to work instead of researching and trying everything they could. Like one guy was looking so healthy with his brain tumor when I left but instead of going to like mda or some big place he stuck with the local place here and a few months later he was gone. At least one of those was diagnosed after me. Poor lady:( 

So I don't know why or how I'm still here but I believe if I had tried to continue to work and just trust these doctors here I would be gone. heck if it wasn't for the folks on here I wouldn't have got keytruda until 4 months later so I would have been gone by then.

I know I couldn't do the job as good as I could before so it just isn't worth it to me. Both physically and mentally I just wouldn't be as good. My coworkers said I was the best and I wouldn't want them to have to deal with a broken me.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

Mat
                    Participant

Brian, great question.  And, as you know, it is a question that is not asked once, but must be re-evaluated over time.  It is also a very personal question.  You already made the decision to continue working through ipi–and now you're moving on to PD-1.  First, I'm sure that you're grateful to be able to make a decision–some folks have no choice either due to their physical condition or the fact that they have jobs that will not allow them to continue to work.  Second, one way to approach this is to begin with the end in mind.  What if you are successfully treated with PD-1 (durable result with no major side effects)?  How will the fact that you've left work for a time influence your ability to return?  Third, for me, I echo Mary's sentiments.  Work can be a pleasant distraction.  Aside from the mental challenge of practicing a craft, you also get to be of service to others (whether individuals or individuals working at businesses).  This can be very rewarding.  You may find that over time, your job becomes less stressful because you are able to put job stress in its proper perspective.  Lastly, I'll mention that if you're struggling with the mental and emotional aspects of your situation (who doesn't?), consider taking a MBSR (mindfulness-based stress reduction) course at a local university or hospital.  The decision process obviously has many more inputs than I've posted here.  I can also assure you that while I've continued to work, I often peer around the corner and wonder what will happen if I don't respond to my treatment.  Best of luck.

Mat
                      Participant

Brian, great question.  And, as you know, it is a question that is not asked once, but must be re-evaluated over time.  It is also a very personal question.  You already made the decision to continue working through ipi–and now you're moving on to PD-1.  First, I'm sure that you're grateful to be able to make a decision–some folks have no choice either due to their physical condition or the fact that they have jobs that will not allow them to continue to work.  Second, one way to approach this is to begin with the end in mind.  What if you are successfully treated with PD-1 (durable result with no major side effects)?  How will the fact that you've left work for a time influence your ability to return?  Third, for me, I echo Mary's sentiments.  Work can be a pleasant distraction.  Aside from the mental challenge of practicing a craft, you also get to be of service to others (whether individuals or individuals working at businesses).  This can be very rewarding.  You may find that over time, your job becomes less stressful because you are able to put job stress in its proper perspective.  Lastly, I'll mention that if you're struggling with the mental and emotional aspects of your situation (who doesn't?), consider taking a MBSR (mindfulness-based stress reduction) course at a local university or hospital.  The decision process obviously has many more inputs than I've posted here.  I can also assure you that while I've continued to work, I often peer around the corner and wonder what will happen if I don't respond to my treatment.  Best of luck.

Mat
                        Participant

kpcollins31
                          Participant

This is an interesting discussion… a lot depends on your personal circumstances. I became stage 4 a little over a year ago, but have been NED ever since surgery to remove a tumor from my intestines (scans yesterday continue to be clear). I am 41, married with 3 kids, and my family depends on my income… so I do not feel like I have much of a choice but to continue working. If treatments become necessary, I would likely continue working as long as I was physically able.

However, I now have laser focus on trying to retire as early as possible. Not easy when you have children mind you :). And I am trying to get things in as good a shape as possible if something were to happen. Personally, I find work to be a good distraction. When your mind is occupied by work, it has little time to go to the other potential undesireable places with this disease. Here is another thing to think about because this has been very true with me – when you have cancer (any kind, any stage) there is nothing that can be thrown at you at work that should truly stress you out. It allows you to take things in stride.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                            Participant

This is an interesting discussion… a lot depends on your personal circumstances. I became stage 4 a little over a year ago, but have been NED ever since surgery to remove a tumor from my intestines (scans yesterday continue to be clear). I am 41, married with 3 kids, and my family depends on my income… so I do not feel like I have much of a choice but to continue working. If treatments become necessary, I would likely continue working as long as I was physically able.

However, I now have laser focus on trying to retire as early as possible. Not easy when you have children mind you :). And I am trying to get things in as good a shape as possible if something were to happen. Personally, I find work to be a good distraction. When your mind is occupied by work, it has little time to go to the other potential undesireable places with this disease. Here is another thing to think about because this has been very true with me – when you have cancer (any kind, any stage) there is nothing that can be thrown at you at work that should truly stress you out. It allows you to take things in stride.

Kevin

DonnaK
                                Participant

Brian, I think you've already gotten some great advice on this topic, but I'll offer another perspective. I was a caregiver to my husband, who has since passed away. So, I can only relate to the mental toll that Melanoma took on me and my family.  I work in a high stress environment and was also the primary breadwinner in my family so I had to consider keeping my career on track. I'm not sure that my situation would be feasible for everyone, but my boss(es) agreed to let me dictate my own schedule. Work was a welcome distraction for me, but also everyone knew where my mind was typically and had absolutely no expectations from me.  My colleagues did an incredible job picking up the pieces for  me when I wasn't able.  However, being here kept me up to date on various projects and i was still able to contribute mildly, albeit nowhere near to the extent that I did previously.  Eventually my colleagues kicked me out of work and encouraged me to spend time with my family.  I learned life can change in an instant and will forever value that time I was able to spend at home with my husband.  

Best,

Donna

DonnaK
                                  Participant

Brian, I think you've already gotten some great advice on this topic, but I'll offer another perspective. I was a caregiver to my husband, who has since passed away. So, I can only relate to the mental toll that Melanoma took on me and my family.  I work in a high stress environment and was also the primary breadwinner in my family so I had to consider keeping my career on track. I'm not sure that my situation would be feasible for everyone, but my boss(es) agreed to let me dictate my own schedule. Work was a welcome distraction for me, but also everyone knew where my mind was typically and had absolutely no expectations from me.  My colleagues did an incredible job picking up the pieces for  me when I wasn't able.  However, being here kept me up to date on various projects and i was still able to contribute mildly, albeit nowhere near to the extent that I did previously.  Eventually my colleagues kicked me out of work and encouraged me to spend time with my family.  I learned life can change in an instant and will forever value that time I was able to spend at home with my husband.  

Best,

Donna

DonnaK
                                    Participant

Best,

Donna

kpcollins31
                                    Participant

Kevin

Bubbles
                                      Participant

It was interesting to hear all the thoughts and reasoning given by all of you. And the great thing is, no one gave the "wrong" answer!  What to do with our lives and time is a huge decision, but folks usually do what is "right " for them to the extent their health and financial situation will allow. My story has been posted here several times (last on a recent thread by Paul), but I kept working since diagnosis in 2003, through bilateral lymphadenectomies, SRS for brain mets, lung surgery and 2 1/2 years in a nivo trial. Luckily my 12 hour shifts, 3 days a week did give me time to travel for my trial….a full time 9 to 5 job would have made juggling that much more difficult. I also have wonderful bosses who allowed me 4 months off for my brain and lung tadah and recuperation. But, I've kept working because it felt to me that it was a huge part of who I was and was lucky enough for my health to be in a condition that has allowed me to do it. Decide what is right and best for YOU and yours and don't look back. I wish you all my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                                        Participant

It was interesting to hear all the thoughts and reasoning given by all of you. And the great thing is, no one gave the "wrong" answer!  What to do with our lives and time is a huge decision, but folks usually do what is "right " for them to the extent their health and financial situation will allow. My story has been posted here several times (last on a recent thread by Paul), but I kept working since diagnosis in 2003, through bilateral lymphadenectomies, SRS for brain mets, lung surgery and 2 1/2 years in a nivo trial. Luckily my 12 hour shifts, 3 days a week did give me time to travel for my trial….a full time 9 to 5 job would have made juggling that much more difficult. I also have wonderful bosses who allowed me 4 months off for my brain and lung tadah and recuperation. But, I've kept working because it felt to me that it was a huge part of who I was and was lucky enough for my health to be in a condition that has allowed me to do it. Decide what is right and best for YOU and yours and don't look back. I wish you all my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Jubes
                                            Participant

Hi Brian. 

So sorry to hear that it is back. But sounds like you are on a great treatment and I hope you don't have too many side effects. 

I have stressful job performing in a symphony orchestra and they have given me time off. Personally I really needed it as my job is all consuming and I really needed the time to be with my family especially at the beginning when I was not responding to anything and also to fit in all the medical appointments etc. 

i am responding well to keytruda but have some painful arthritis like symptoms. However I plan going back soon as we are managing the symptoms with steroids. 

Personally it has renewed my passion for my work and I have practiced as much as possible when feeling well enough so there have been other benefits from the break. 

My work has continued to pay me, so it would have been extremely stressful if that were not the case and I'm not sure what I would have done. Also I am older so missing work does not really mean missed opportunities although I did have to miss some fun international tours…

hoping all goes well for you 

anne-Louise 

Brian_D
                                                Participant

Thank you for all of the fantastic feedback.  I realize it is a very personal decision.  Since the rec-urrence about a month of ago, I have given myself very little time to process what is going on.  I am stressed and as much as I would like to plow straight ahead, I just don't think I am mentally capable right now.  Does anyone have any medical insights, i.e. how does stress affect recovery?

Brian_D
                                                  Participant

Thank you for all of the fantastic feedback.  I realize it is a very personal decision.  Since the rec-urrence about a month of ago, I have given myself very little time to process what is going on.  I am stressed and as much as I would like to plow straight ahead, I just don't think I am mentally capable right now.  Does anyone have any medical insights, i.e. how does stress affect recovery?

Brian_D
                                                    Participant

DZnDef
                                                      Participant

Brian – Here is an article I found on the health impacts of stress

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/04/stress-health-effects-cancer-immune-system_n_2599551.html

DZnDef
                                                        Participant

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/04/stress-health-effects-cancer-immune-system_n_2599551.html

DZnDef
                                                          Participant

Jubes
                                                          Participant

Hi Brian. 

So sorry to hear that it is back. But sounds like you are on a great treatment and I hope you don't have too many side effects. 

I have stressful job performing in a symphony orchestra and they have given me time off. Personally I really needed it as my job is all consuming and I really needed the time to be with my family especially at the beginning when I was not responding to anything and also to fit in all the medical appointments etc. 

i am responding well to keytruda but have some painful arthritis like symptoms. However I plan going back soon as we are managing the symptoms with steroids. 

Personally it has renewed my passion for my work and I have practiced as much as possible when feeling well enough so there have been other benefits from the break. 

My work has continued to pay me, so it would have been extremely stressful if that were not the case and I'm not sure what I would have done. Also I am older so missing work does not really mean missed opportunities although I did have to miss some fun international tours…

anne-Louise 

Jubes
                                                            Participant

Hi Brian. 

anne-Louise 

Tamils
                                                              Participant

Hi Brian,

I was a caretaker for my father before he passed away from melanoma.  I'm not sure I have anything to add that is too new, but I am an attorney too.  As everyone has said, whether to take time off from work is an intensely personal decision, as well as a practical one.  Does your LT disability program allow you sufficient income and health coverage?  Would it be more beneficial to have something else to focus on, or would it be better to spend your time focusing on getting well?  Put another way, if you stopped working, would you spend time exercising, preparing/eating healthier foods, and getting support from friends and family, or would it be an isolating decision instead?  How flexible will your job be in allowing you to cut back hours, or allowing you to return after taking time off?  How much do you enjoy your job, and how easy would it be to get another job?  

Since you are a young attorney, you might be feeling that you need to hang on to the job you have, given the market in recent years.  It also sounds a little like you might be looking for confirmation that it's okay to take time off to take care of yourself.  I would say it is definitely okay to take the time.  As a hiring manager, I would absolutely think no less of anyone's resume from a hiatus for cancer treatment.  I don't know whether you're at a large or small firm, in-house, or have your own practice, but if you really feel you aren't able to concentrate on your work, and you are the person solely responsible for your clients' representation, then you might also consider whether you have an affirmative obligation to withdraw.  I hope you make the decision that is right for you! 

Tamils
                                                                Participant

Hi Brian,

I was a caretaker for my father before he passed away from melanoma.  I'm not sure I have anything to add that is too new, but I am an attorney too.  As everyone has said, whether to take time off from work is an intensely personal decision, as well as a practical one.  Does your LT disability program allow you sufficient income and health coverage?  Would it be more beneficial to have something else to focus on, or would it be better to spend your time focusing on getting well?  Put another way, if you stopped working, would you spend time exercising, preparing/eating healthier foods, and getting support from friends and family, or would it be an isolating decision instead?  How flexible will your job be in allowing you to cut back hours, or allowing you to return after taking time off?  How much do you enjoy your job, and how easy would it be to get another job?  

Since you are a young attorney, you might be feeling that you need to hang on to the job you have, given the market in recent years.  It also sounds a little like you might be looking for confirmation that it's okay to take time off to take care of yourself.  I would say it is definitely okay to take the time.  As a hiring manager, I would absolutely think no less of anyone's resume from a hiatus for cancer treatment.  I don't know whether you're at a large or small firm, in-house, or have your own practice, but if you really feel you aren't able to concentrate on your work, and you are the person solely responsible for your clients' representation, then you might also consider whether you have an affirmative obligation to withdraw.  I hope you make the decision that is right for you! 

Tamils
                                                                  Participant

Hi Brian,

DZnDef
                                                                    Participant

Brian – I worked as a finance consultant and moved from project to project.  Very demanding and high stress to be constantly performing for new clients.  Always under deadline.  I continued working through my first surgery in 2012 where a lobe of my lung was removed mainly because I was the sole breadwinner in the family (also a source of stress).  When I had a recurrence in January 2014, I hung up my hat.  My husband had a job by then and I was just too stressed out.  Chronic stress suppresses the immune system and is generally bad for your health.  I have no doubt that my stress levels contributed to my getting cancer in the first place.  Others can manage a job like mine and not feel the stress.  I can't.  I had to do what was best for my health and take a break.  My full time job right now is getting well.  I am very much enjoying the "simple life" and smelling the roses.  If my health dramatically improves, I'll get back to work (but a different sort of job).  If it doesn't, then I'm glad I had this time to relax and enjoy life.  So that's why I've made my choice.  Follow your gut.  It's your life.  Live it on your terms.

Cheers,

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                      Participant

Brian – I worked as a finance consultant and moved from project to project.  Very demanding and high stress to be constantly performing for new clients.  Always under deadline.  I continued working through my first surgery in 2012 where a lobe of my lung was removed mainly because I was the sole breadwinner in the family (also a source of stress).  When I had a recurrence in January 2014, I hung up my hat.  My husband had a job by then and I was just too stressed out.  Chronic stress suppresses the immune system and is generally bad for your health.  I have no doubt that my stress levels contributed to my getting cancer in the first place.  Others can manage a job like mine and not feel the stress.  I can't.  I had to do what was best for my health and take a break.  My full time job right now is getting well.  I am very much enjoying the "simple life" and smelling the roses.  If my health dramatically improves, I'll get back to work (but a different sort of job).  If it doesn't, then I'm glad I had this time to relax and enjoy life.  So that's why I've made my choice.  Follow your gut.  It's your life.  Live it on your terms.

Cheers,

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                        Participant

Cheers,

Maggie

_Paul_
                                                                          Participant

Hi Brian,

Wow, you have garnered a lot of great responses.

Like Artie, I am also a software developer (Artie, I didn't know we have that in common!) and I took 5 or 6 weeks off work starting the instant I found out I was stage 4. I really doubt I would have had sufficient focus to keep working, because like you I was just way too distracted with what was going on.

I also had some side effects from treatment that I needed to get on top of.

What I found was that after a few weeks things just settled down. It is actually amazing how adaptable people are.

So I ended up going back to work and like others have posted, I also find it a great way to focus on something other than cancer. I guess my point is taking time off really helped me adjust to my new reality.

I do know that I found this board to be really helpful: reading what other people are experiencing, getting advice about all the different treatment options and new clinical trials, and the bond that those of battling cancer have with one another.

I am hoping for the best for you – Paul.

Debbieamccoy
                                                                              Participant

I was diagnosed 5/8/15, and took a leave of absence 5/12/15 to go be closer to my husband for moral support while getting testing and planning treatment . I'm a nurse practitioner and it's considered to be high stress, I miss work and miss being in control of situations . I had my initial surgery 5/26 and having the lymph nodes removed 6/2/ and plan on returning to work 7/13. 

ed williams
                                                                                Participant

Debbieamccoy, you might want to hold off on the lymph node removal (CLND), there was big news from ASCO about a study from Europe with over 500 participants about (CLND). It looks like there is no advantage to having a CLND done vs watch and scan in overall survival. I would check out the data before going forward, you might want to have those nodes around for Immunotherapy treatments down the road. Wishing you the best!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                                  Participant

Debbieamccoy, you might want to hold off on the lymph node removal (CLND), there was big news from ASCO about a study from Europe with over 500 participants about (CLND). It looks like there is no advantage to having a CLND done vs watch and scan in overall survival. I would check out the data before going forward, you might want to have those nodes around for Immunotherapy treatments down the road. Wishing you the best!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                                    Participant

Debbieamccoy
                                                                                      Participant

I was diagnosed 5/8/15, and took a leave of absence 5/12/15 to go be closer to my husband for moral support while getting testing and planning treatment . I'm a nurse practitioner and it's considered to be high stress, I miss work and miss being in control of situations . I had my initial surgery 5/26 and having the lymph nodes removed 6/2/ and plan on returning to work 7/13. 

Debbieamccoy
                                                                                        Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Brian,

Like Artie, I am also a software developer (Artie, I didn't know we have that in common!) and I took 5 or 6 weeks off work starting the instant I found out I was stage 4. I really doubt I would have had sufficient focus to keep working, because like you I was just way too distracted with what was going on.

What I found was that after a few weeks things just settled down. It is actually amazing how adaptable people are.

So I ended up going back to work and like others have posted, I also find it a great way to focus on something other than cancer. I guess my point is taking time off really helped me adjust to my new reality.

I do know that I found this board to be really helpful: reading what other people are experiencing, getting advice about all the different treatment options and new clinical trials, and the bond that those of battling cancer have with one another.

_Paul_
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Brian,

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics