The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy / IPI WORKED ! Lung, Liver Tumors Shrunk!

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy / IPI WORKED ! Lung, Liver Tumors Shrunk!

Participant

Hello everyone. I haven't posted lately as I've been so scared, wondering if this Yervoy was going to work on me!

Diagnosed in June 2011, out of the blue, straight to Stage IV (Brain, Liver & Lung)

Hello everyone. I haven't posted lately as I've been so scared, wondering if this Yervoy was going to work on me!

Diagnosed in June 2011, out of the blue, straight to Stage IV (Brain, Liver & Lung)

I got all 4 injections of the 3mg dose with not a single side effect from September 2011 thru Nov 2011 I thought for sure maybe my body wasn't responding!  I never understood the blood levels, that others said to look for rising numbers, I just gave up trying to figure it out and just figured my body will do whatever it wants.

GREAT NEWS!!  We saw the scans ourselves today! My lung & liver tumors have all shrunk down, can barely see the Lung tumor (was around 5cm), and the big Liver tumor went from 6cm down to 2cm…and this is the 1st scan since completing the 4 doses!
      We can only hope that another scan in 3 months will show more shrinkage!
      Brain scans came back CLEAN TOO! Quarter size tumor GONE (thanks to Gamma Knife in July, took almost 6 months to disappear), and the spot I had my tumor removed from on my brain in July, is back to normal looking!
      All doctors happy FOR NOW, AND SO AM I!! 3 months of NO treatments or scans for now!

This treatment , the body "remembers" this type, and should continue to kill cancer cells it finds, and I can continue on this treatment again if needed, since my body accepted it!  There's no plans for future treatments of it until they see the need to continue on it, then I can continue to get it after that since my body accepted it once, it should accept it over & over.

I truly hope, like Lisa13 said in her post (that her doctors said) he's had patients who were on this for YEARS, and it was still working. I can only truly pray & hope that this will be the same way for many of us!

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        Laurie from maine
        Participant

HOORAY!!!  How wonderful!   Thank you for posting such great news.  What a wonderful holiday you can have just enjoying that your body is doing its work now.

Thank you for posting.  I am currently on braf(zelboraf) and will have to switch at sometime to something else and was great to see you have had such a positive response to yervoy.

Enjoy your great news.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
          Participant

HOORAY!!!  How wonderful!   Thank you for posting such great news.  What a wonderful holiday you can have just enjoying that your body is doing its work now.

Thank you for posting.  I am currently on braf(zelboraf) and will have to switch at sometime to something else and was great to see you have had such a positive response to yervoy.

Enjoy your great news.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
            Participant

Enjoy your great news.

laurie from maine

Linny
              Participant

What fantastic news!!!! Congratulations!! Now you can kick back and have a wonderful Christmas and New Year's.

Linda

Linny
                Participant

What fantastic news!!!! Congratulations!! Now you can kick back and have a wonderful Christmas and New Year's.

Linda

Linny
                  Participant

Linda

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Ta;lk about GREAT news.  So glad to hear this!  Enjoy the Holidays.  And give those kids big hugs!

Praying for otinued success  in continuing to get rid of the tumors

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

Ta;lk about GREAT news.  So glad to hear this!  Enjoy the Holidays.  And give those kids big hugs!

Lisa13
                          Participant

This is such fantastic news! 

One thing I wanted to mention – it wasn't my Dr. who said he had patients who've lasted years. It was someone else's Dr I read that said he has several patients still kickin' it  4 years and 8 years out.   My Dr. mentioned he was seeing not good scans at 12 weeks and then great scans at 16 weeks. All good news and something to be hopeful for.

Mine shrunk by 50% on week 12 and by week 16, they were still shrinking (slowly) and the rest just remained stable. Some have disappeared.   I get more scans and a brain MRI at the end of January. 

Now every 3 months, you just hope it continues to look good.

I'm so happy for you!! 

Lisa

Lisa13
                            Participant

One thing I wanted to mention – it wasn't my Dr. who said he had patients who've lasted years. It was someone else's Dr I read that said he has several patients still kickin' it  4 years and 8 years out.   My Dr. mentioned he was seeing not good scans at 12 weeks and then great scans at 16 weeks. All good news and something to be hopeful for.

Mine shrunk by 50% on week 12 and by week 16, they were still shrinking (slowly) and the rest just remained stable. Some have disappeared.   I get more scans and a brain MRI at the end of January. 

I'm so happy for you!! 

Lisa

Lisa13
                              Participant

I'm so happy for you!! 

Lisa

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

hope4cure1
                                Participant

WOW, WOW, TERRIFIC!!!!!!!!!!

hope4cure1
                                  Participant

hope4cure1
                                    Participant

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

This is truly wonderful news! Congratulations!

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                          Participant

Frank from Australia

JJ Walker
                                            Participant

This is wonderful news for you and your kids and also gives me hope.  I am also stage IV and just had my first treatment with Yervoy.  Minimal side effects so far.  Let's hope it works for everyone.  Wanted to take Zelboraf but co-pay was more than my wife make a month.  We give Genentec all that research money and then the price the meds so high we can't afford them.  Shame on them!

JJ Walker
                                              Participant

This is wonderful news for you and your kids and also gives me hope.  I am also stage IV and just had my first treatment with Yervoy.  Minimal side effects so far.  Let's hope it works for everyone.  Wanted to take Zelboraf but co-pay was more than my wife make a month.  We give Genentec all that research money and then the price the meds so high we can't afford them.  Shame on them!

JJ Walker
                                                Participant

PhoenixJ
                                                  Participant
                                                    I am so happy for you!!! I just Received my first ipi infusion on thursday. I hope that I have as good results! I had an 85% reduction in disease burden in 2 months on zelboraf and I was nervous about coming off it to start ipi but now to hear so much good news here it gives me hope!! Have a great holiday season!!
                                                    PhoenixJ
                                                    Participant
                                                      I am so happy for you!!! I just Received my first ipi infusion on thursday. I hope that I have as good results! I had an 85% reduction in disease burden in 2 months on zelboraf and I was nervous about coming off it to start ipi but now to hear so much good news here it gives me hope!! Have a great holiday season!!
                                                      PhoenixJ
                                                      Participant
                                                        jag
                                                        Participant

You

Are

Awesome!

Glad to hear the news momof2kids.  Once Yervoy takes it usually lasts pretty far into the future esp w/an immediate response such as yours.

jag
                                                          Participant

You

Are

Awesome!

Glad to hear the news momof2kids.  Once Yervoy takes it usually lasts pretty far into the future esp w/an immediate response such as yours.

jag
                                                            Participant

You

Are

Awesome!

momof2kids
                                                              Participant

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

Yes, like my doctor said and Lisa heard from her doctor, that they've seen once people react to this, they can sometimes stay on it for YEARS, the body remembers it likes this stuff and will continue to use what's still in us to fight off those nasty cells, and hopefully future injections if needed, will help do the same, and have it continue to crush those cancer cells down to nothing. LETS HOPE THAT HAPPENS FOR ALL OF US.   I can only HOPE right now that this will kick some ass in the future for myself (and for others)!

Vermont_Donna
                                                                  Participant

Hi,

GREAT news!! I too have had Ipi, 3mg/kg, and so far I am NED…since 2/2011! I wish you continued response to the drug!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                                                                    Participant

Hi,

GREAT news!! I too have had Ipi, 3mg/kg, and so far I am NED…since 2/2011! I wish you continued response to the drug!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna
                                                                      Participant

Hi,

Hugs,

momof2kids
                                                                      Participant

Yes, like my doctor said and Lisa heard from her doctor, that they've seen once people react to this, they can sometimes stay on it for YEARS, the body remembers it likes this stuff and will continue to use what's still in us to fight off those nasty cells, and hopefully future injections if needed, will help do the same, and have it continue to crush those cancer cells down to nothing. LETS HOPE THAT HAPPENS FOR ALL OF US.   I can only HOPE right now that this will kick some ass in the future for myself (and for others)!

momof2kids
                                                                        Participant

Gene_S
                                                                          Participant

Congratulations that is great news!!!!  Now enjoy the holidays and family.  I pray this keeps working for you.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV and also responding to Ipi 10mg/kg)

Gene_S
                                                                            Participant

Congratulations that is great news!!!!  Now enjoy the holidays and family.  I pray this keeps working for you.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV and also responding to Ipi 10mg/kg)

Gene_S
                                                                              Participant

shellebrownies
                                                                                Participant

So glad to hear that you are doing better!

Michelle

shellebrownies
                                                                                  Participant

Michelle

shellebrownies
                                                                                    Participant

Michelle

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics