The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy crushed the brain mets!

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy crushed the brain mets!

Participant

What an emotional day today. Some of you may have read my previous post where my husbands medical oncologist felt he was a Yervoy non-responder……Well… we met with the Neurosurgeon today to go over the findings of yesterday's MRI. Of the 19 brain lesions most are gone and the remaining few are barely visible!!  The neurosurgeon was amazed to say the least.

What an emotional day today. Some of you may have read my previous post where my husbands medical oncologist felt he was a Yervoy non-responder……Well… we met with the Neurosurgeon today to go over the findings of yesterday's MRI. Of the 19 brain lesions most are gone and the remaining few are barely visible!!  The neurosurgeon was amazed to say the least. He said he actually expected to see many more new lesions as he felt the brain mets were very aggressive (an increase from 5 lesions to 19 total in 2 1/2 weeks)  and he has never seen 19 lesions respond like that. He attributes this to the Yervoy! (per neuro he hasnt seen Gamma produce such amazing results on so many lesions)Granted my husband is still fighting the ever increasing tumors, nodules and sub q's on his neck, back, legs, arms etc. which seem to have appeared rather rapidly after his 3rd Yervoy treatment. (He finished his 4th and final Yervoy treatment on July 15th). His neuro does not feel these are immune responses…but hey, let him stick to his gamma knife expertise…because the medical onc was mistaken in determining my husband was a Yervoy non responder. I give all the Glory to God and continue to pray for all of the fellow warriors who are fighting this insidious disease. 

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        BethA in VA
        Participant

I'm happy to hear he has responded and shows improvement.  Those are really nice results to get.  Sounds like he is a winner!!  Good luck in the rest of the fight!  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
          Participant

I'm happy to hear he has responded and shows improvement.  Those are really nice results to get.  Sounds like he is a winner!!  Good luck in the rest of the fight!  Beth 3/B

cfw9186
            Participant

Miracles happen everyday and we hear, praise the Lord to hear them, God bless you and rest in arms of our Lord.

cfw9186
              Participant

Miracles happen everyday and we hear, praise the Lord to hear them, God bless you and rest in arms of our Lord.

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Congratulations on the great scan results! I feel that scans are the only sure way to tell
                  how well any melanoma treatment is working. It must be a relief to find that Yervoy is
                  actually working very well indeed!

You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Hi,

I am a complete respondwr to Ipi (yervoy)…but I didnt have brain mets. In the clinical trial I was in from December 2010 to February 2011, in that 12 weeks of active treatment, my oncologist explained that new sub q's and cutaneous lesions were 'acceptable" in the trial, meaning I wouldnt be kicked out of the clinical trial..and I did continue to have new melanomas develop….you would have to read my profile to see the exact history of my treatment with Yervoy as I dont remember the details of when the sub q's etc stopped developing. I did develop alot of inflammation at the site of most of my melanoma, and thI could see that and it was picked up on my scans 2 weeks after my 4th treatment. 12 weeks after that my scans were CLEAR!

Best of luck with the yervoy continuing to do its magic!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Hi,

I am a complete respondwr to Ipi (yervoy)…but I didnt have brain mets. In the clinical trial I was in from December 2010 to February 2011, in that 12 weeks of active treatment, my oncologist explained that new sub q's and cutaneous lesions were 'acceptable" in the trial, meaning I wouldnt be kicked out of the clinical trial..and I did continue to have new melanomas develop….you would have to read my profile to see the exact history of my treatment with Yervoy as I dont remember the details of when the sub q's etc stopped developing. I did develop alot of inflammation at the site of most of my melanoma, and thI could see that and it was picked up on my scans 2 weeks after my 4th treatment. 12 weeks after that my scans were CLEAR!

Best of luck with the yervoy continuing to do its magic!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

FormerCaregiver
                      Participant

Congratulations on the great scan results! I feel that scans are the only sure way to tell
                        how well any melanoma treatment is working. It must be a relief to find that Yervoy is
                        actually working very well indeed!

You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

MichaelFL
                        Participant

That is some kinda good news! Celebrate Christmas early!

Keep it up!

Michael

Manubuzzi
                            Participant

Really good news !!!! I Hope the worst has passed in your lifes! 

Health and strength from Argentina!

Manubuzzi
                              Participant

Really good news !!!! I Hope the worst has passed in your lifes! 

Health and strength from Argentina!

MichaelFL
                              Participant

That is some kinda good news! Celebrate Christmas early!

Keep it up!

Michael

Carol Taylor
                                Participant

Hallelujah moment indeed! May Jeff continue to experience blessings as he fights. He's got you, he's blessed to have you in his  corner.

Lord, in Your mercy, thank You for the work being done and we pray for continued miracles for Jeff. Amen and Amen!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                  Participant

Hallelujah moment indeed! May Jeff continue to experience blessings as he fights. He's got you, he's blessed to have you in his  corner.

Lord, in Your mercy, thank You for the work being done and we pray for continued miracles for Jeff. Amen and Amen!

Grace and peace,

Carol

kylez
                                    Participant

Tha's fantastic news Mary Beth.

Thx for sharing your husband's experiences/response to IPI w/ brain mets. That's really useful to hear for other patients on IPI w/brain mets. The timing info of the response so far (a week or two after the fourth treatment) is what I would have asked if you didn't include it.

That's so, so awesome to get news of that kind of response.

– Kyle

NYKaren
                                        Participant

Fantastic news!

NYKaren
                                          Participant

Fantastic news!

kylez
                                          Participant

Tha's fantastic news Mary Beth.

Thx for sharing your husband's experiences/response to IPI w/ brain mets. That's really useful to hear for other patients on IPI w/brain mets. The timing info of the response so far (a week or two after the fourth treatment) is what I would have asked if you didn't include it.

That's so, so awesome to get news of that kind of response.

– Kyle

cfw9186
                                            Participant

Wonderful news on the brain mets, my sub'q's as we call them after the 4th ipi are beginning to go away, Praise the Lord, can't wait to see what my lung mets look like when I get scanned in August, but I feel there may be some good news on the horizon.  I am not doing brain rad, but only to keep ahead of the the mets, Lord Help us. …what a patch we must march.  People ask how do you do it, well, you place one foot in front of the other and then when you can't the Lord picks you up and you hold on tight………God bless you all and keep us all posted, as lab rats on the IPI trail, I do'n't care what the docs say……us in the fields must keep strong and compare notes.  Kitty

cfw9186
                                              Participant

Wonderful news on the brain mets, my sub'q's as we call them after the 4th ipi are beginning to go away, Praise the Lord, can't wait to see what my lung mets look like when I get scanned in August, but I feel there may be some good news on the horizon.  I am not doing brain rad, but only to keep ahead of the the mets, Lord Help us. …what a patch we must march.  People ask how do you do it, well, you place one foot in front of the other and then when you can't the Lord picks you up and you hold on tight………God bless you all and keep us all posted, as lab rats on the IPI trail, I do'n't care what the docs say……us in the fields must keep strong and compare notes.  Kitty

cfw9186
                                                  Participant

Correction, I am doing brain rad right now to keep ahead of the tumors……..

cfw9186
                                                    Participant

Correction, I am doing brain rad right now to keep ahead of the tumors……..

mombase
                                                      Participant

Your news is so awesome and definitely gives me hope as well. I will be starting whole brain radiation shortly and then have chosen Yervoy as my line of offense for lung mets.  I am getting more and more hopeful as I read stories like yours! ~ Cristy

mombase
                                                        Participant

Your news is so awesome and definitely gives me hope as well. I will be starting whole brain radiation shortly and then have chosen Yervoy as my line of offense for lung mets.  I am getting more and more hopeful as I read stories like yours! ~ Cristy

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics