The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

UPDATE on recent scans

Forums General Melanoma Community UPDATE on recent scans

Participant

Had visit with Dr. Anna Pavlick yesterday and got results of Cat Scans & MRI  from 6/15/13.On the plus side Iron count is back to normal after being on the low side early this year.Just had to  take iron supplement..Also gained 4 pounds .First time in over 2 years after remaining at same weight.Appetite has always been great.All in all the results were awesome."Z" has been doing its job for the most part as there is no evidence of disease from the head down.Still have a few brain mets with the largest being  1.2 x 1.1  x  0.4  cm.

Had visit with Dr. Anna Pavlick yesterday and got results of Cat Scans & MRI  from 6/15/13.On the plus side Iron count is back to normal after being on the low side early this year.Just had to  take iron supplement..Also gained 4 pounds .First time in over 2 years after remaining at same weight.Appetite has always been great.All in all the results were awesome."Z" has been doing its job for the most part as there is no evidence of disease from the head down.Still have a few brain mets with the largest being  1.2 x 1.1  x  0.4  cm. All others are substancially smaller and measured in mm.They all remain stable when compared to MRI of  2/20/13 and  4/13/13. No new ones from MRI of Feb. 2013.Will have MRI again in two months. As i have no problems stemming from these mets she is of the opinion that this is something I can actually live with.Feels that any  Gamma knife treatment at this point is not reccomended.Still taking "Z" for over 21 months.Plan  B if needed will be to switch to Dabrafenib expected to be available the first week of July.Known to  work as a effective a "Z" to long time users as myself.Want everyone to know out there that after what felt like a Death Sentence  in early 2011, now feels  with God  & modern medicine I now have a Life Sentence.To all my fellow warriors in our unwanted battle with melanoma do everything you can to Beat the Beast..The research is advancing toward a cure or at least a treatment as a chronic condition.Life is good.Keeping all my fellow warriors in my prayers.Looking forward when all posts here will be ones of hope and happiness.I feel my good results have been cause of God, modern medicine, my PMA and of course the love and support of my honey and family. Also know that all here are wishing me well also. Thank you.      Al

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        hbecker
        Participant

Al, I'm so happy to hear your great news! Thanks for sharing!

~Hazel

hbecker
          Participant

~Hazel

hbecker
            Participant

~Hazel

rosa1
              Participant

It's great to hear you're doing well, Al!  Hopefully dabrafenib will kick those small brain mets in their butt!  Keep the positve attitude and keep fighting.  As always, I wish and pray the best for you and everybody on this board fighting this battle!

All the best/Rosa  smiley

rosa1
                Participant

It's great to hear you're doing well, Al!  Hopefully dabrafenib will kick those small brain mets in their butt!  Keep the positve attitude and keep fighting.  As always, I wish and pray the best for you and everybody on this board fighting this battle!

rosa1
                  Participant

Brendan
                    Participant
                      Great news, Al. Keep it up! Thanks for posting.

Brendan

Brendan
                      Participant

Brendan

Brendan
                        Participant

Brendan

awillett1991
                          Participant
                            Never have I heard such a positive report on brain mets. You are one amazing individual Al!
                            awillett1991
                            Participant
                              Never have I heard such a positive report on brain mets. You are one amazing individual Al!
                              awillett1991
                              Participant
                                JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Love this post.  This is why I tell people to not give up and let dispair destroy them. 
                                  (Easier said than done, I know!)

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Love this post.  This is why I tell people to not give up and let dispair destroy them. 

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Richard_K
                                      Participant

Al,

Talk about PMA!  Your plan sounds good and glad to hear you continue on Zelboraf.  My wife and I just got back from Barcelona Spain.  Roche asked me to come and speak about my Zelboraf experience at a global Research and Early Development conference.  Keep it up, maybe they'll be looking for other long term responders.

Richard_K
                                        Participant

Al,

Talk about PMA!  Your plan sounds good and glad to hear you continue on Zelboraf.  My wife and I just got back from Barcelona Spain.  Roche asked me to come and speak about my Zelboraf experience at a global Research and Early Development conference.  Keep it up, maybe they'll be looking for other long term responders.

Richard_K
                                          Participant

Al,

Richard_K
                                            Participant

Al,

Hope you appreciate this.  Apparently I can no longer put my name at the end of the post as it will not pass the "provanity filter".

Richard_K
                                              Participant

Al,

Hope you appreciate this.  Apparently I can no longer put my name at the end of the post as it will not pass the "provanity filter".

Richard_K
                                                Participant

Al,

Owl
                                                  Participant

Al, good to hear that your scans went so well! Your positive attitude will help keeping and fighting the last stubborn mets in your brain.

We got a call from the clinic yesterday, they have doublechecked the scan results of my husband with the radiologists and they had great news (the report was kind of hard to read even for the doctors). The radiologists can not see that any of the lymphnodes, no bigger than 6mm, are still suspect, means he is some kind of NED. We are more than happy as you can imagine!

All the best,

Jenny

Owl
                                                    Participant

Al, good to hear that your scans went so well! Your positive attitude will help keeping and fighting the last stubborn mets in your brain.

We got a call from the clinic yesterday, they have doublechecked the scan results of my husband with the radiologists and they had great news (the report was kind of hard to read even for the doctors). The radiologists can not see that any of the lymphnodes, no bigger than 6mm, are still suspect, means he is some kind of NED. We are more than happy as you can imagine!

All the best,

Jenny

Owl
                                                      Participant

All the best,

Jenny

randallgford
                                                        Participant

Love your posts. My husband also had first scans after being on Z for 7 weeks, also had WBR. His larger brain met shrunk, small one went away, remaing are very small and stable. His body scans also show significant regression of disease, and we are cautiously optimistic. He also has a very positive mental attitude, its finally starting to rub off on me. Thanks for your encouraging news, hope to join you as a long time responder to Z.

randallgford
                                                          Participant

Love your posts. My husband also had first scans after being on Z for 7 weeks, also had WBR. His larger brain met shrunk, small one went away, remaing are very small and stable. His body scans also show significant regression of disease, and we are cautiously optimistic. He also has a very positive mental attitude, its finally starting to rub off on me. Thanks for your encouraging news, hope to join you as a long time responder to Z.

randallgford
                                                            Participant

HelenK1
                                                              Participant

To Al and randallgford–

Your good news and determination have really cheered me.  Congratulations on that wonderful news.

I wondered if your Zelboraf course of treatment has been a daily dosage, or the purposely interrupted schedule of # of days on meds, # of days off?  Also, did you work up to the dosage or was the dosage always the same, and what was the dosage?

Lots of questions but this information would be helpful to me.  Thanks very much.

HelenK1
                                                                Participant

To Al and randallgford–

Your good news and determination have really cheered me.  Congratulations on that wonderful news.

I wondered if your Zelboraf course of treatment has been a daily dosage, or the purposely interrupted schedule of # of days on meds, # of days off?  Also, did you work up to the dosage or was the dosage always the same, and what was the dosage?

Lots of questions but this information would be helpful to me.  Thanks very much.

HelenK1
                                                                  Participant

To Al and randallgford–

Tina D
                                                                    Participant

Al,

Glad to hear the good news of things remaining stable and nothing new! I always look forward to seeing your posts, and I am so glad to hear things are going well.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                      Participant

Al,

Glad to hear the good news of things remaining stable and nothing new! I always look forward to seeing your posts, and I am so glad to hear things are going well.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                        Participant

Al,

Tina

Snickers60
                                                                          Participant

Good news, AL !   I forget where your medical treatment is ?  I think MDA won't have Pd-1 until perhaps July or Aug. also.  

Here's hoping they can get something going to STOP those brain mets.   I don't like them !   Wayne keeps up with you on a regular basis.    

KEEP ON FIGHTING THE BEAST, AL !   You are WINNING !    KEEP THE FAITH !

Snickers60
                                                                            Participant

Good news, AL !   I forget where your medical treatment is ?  I think MDA won't have Pd-1 until perhaps July or Aug. also.  

Here's hoping they can get something going to STOP those brain mets.   I don't like them !   Wayne keeps up with you on a regular basis.    

Snickers60
                                                                              Participant

POW
                                                                                Participant

That's very good news, Al! I love the conservative approach where if your brain mets are stable and not causing any symptoms, leave them alone. Very wise. I'm also intrigued by the possibility of you switching to dabrafenib when it becomes available. Who knows? That may be just the ticket to kick those stubborn brain mets out the door.

Keep fighting the good fight. You're doing great!

POW
                                                                                  Participant

That's very good news, Al! I love the conservative approach where if your brain mets are stable and not causing any symptoms, leave them alone. Very wise. I'm also intrigued by the possibility of you switching to dabrafenib when it becomes available. Who knows? That may be just the ticket to kick those stubborn brain mets out the door.

POW
                                                                                    Participant

Linny
                                                                                      Participant

I ran into the same problem, Richard! LOL

Linny
                                                                                        Participant

Linny
                                                                                          Participant

aldakota22
                                                                                            Participant

Helen K,  to answer your quetions. My dosage is full dose from day one.That is 4 pills (240mg ) in morning ,then 4 pills at 12 hours later.No break in  treatment for over 21 months now.Any other questions you have just ask.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                                                                                              Participant

Helen K,  to answer your quetions. My dosage is full dose from day one.That is 4 pills (240mg ) in morning ,then 4 pills at 12 hours later.No break in  treatment for over 21 months now.Any other questions you have just ask.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                                                                                                Participant

HelenK1
                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks so much, Al, for the information.  This helps a lot.

Helen

HelenK1
                                                                                                    Participant

Helen

HelenK1
                                                                                                      Participant

Helen

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics