The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ten years out from stage IV diagnosis..niine years NED

Forums General Melanoma Community Ten years out from stage IV diagnosis..niine years NED

Participant

In a couple of a days, I will be at nine years, stage IV NED. It's wierd, but I feel a bit guilty, ( I have lost 5 dear people to cancer in the last few years). I feel like I am bragging when so many here are in the midst of struggling with the mental and physical effects of the disease…..However, I want to offer HOPE. There are long term NED survivors and long term stable disease status survivors of melanoma. Most of us just rarely check in here anymore. 

My daughters grew up, I went back to work as a preschool teacher and am working at my dream school- best job I have ever had. I met a wonderful person who accepts my uncertain health and is a suportive partner. I have SO much to be grateful for, but, I struggle with exhastion, worry over possible symptoms of reccurrence, and the fact that others see me as "cured" when I know I can't ever really use that term.

My history: I had a met to my mediastinum, biopsied in an open thoracotamy, that could not be removed because it accluded my pulmonary artery, so I did 11 rounds, over a year, of Temodar ( temozolamide) and have not done any preventative treatment. The only major change has been following a strict vegan diet. I try to deal with stress well, but, stress is always there in one form or another!

So, I wish ALL of you the very best of luck and health and peace of mind. Every one of you are BRAVE and are my HEROES. Much love, fellow warriors. 

Viewing 38 reply threads
    • Replies
        maperny
        Participant

Very happy for you.  You are amazing!

Maria

maperny
          Participant

Maria

maperny
            Participant

Maria

mjanssentx
              Participant

absolutely love to hear these stories…

mjanssentx
                Participant

mjanssentx
                  Participant

snow white
                    Participant

It never gets old hearing positve outcomes.  Thanks for sharing.

snow white
                      Participant

snow white
                        Participant

Jahendry12
                          Participant

Awesome!  Enjoy life. Thanks for sharing. 

Jahendry12
                            Participant

Jahendry12
                              Participant

Rick from NC
                                Participant

I'll also chime in.  It was 25 years ago, in January 1992 that I had just been accepted at NIH.  I went through 3 rounds of IL-2 and became NED.  I was 35 then, and I just turned 61 yesterday.  I'm grateful for my good fortune.  My best to all of you.

Rick from NC
                                  Participant

I'll also chime in.  It was 25 years ago, in January 1992 that I had just been accepted at NIH.  I went through 3 rounds of IL-2 and became NED.  I was 35 then, and I just turned 61 yesterday.  I'm grateful for my good fortune.  My best to all of you.

Rick from NC
                                    Participant

_Paul_
                                      Participant

Stories like yours give me hope. I bet there are many others that feel the same way.

Thank you for sharing sharing Nancy.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                        Participant

Stories like yours give me hope. I bet there are many others that feel the same way.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                          Participant

– Paul

Patrisa
                                            Participant

Wow, that is amazing, thank you for posting!

And you should never feel guilty about it, you deserve (we all do) to be healthy and happy!

Take care,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                              Participant

And you should never feel guilty about it, you deserve (we all do) to be healthy and happy!

Take care,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                Participant

Take care,

Patrisa

Christinad
                                                  Participant

Thanking you for sharing!  Hearing your story gives me hope for the future. I very happy for your success. Wishing you a lifetime of NED. 

Christinad
                                                    Participant

Thanking you for sharing!  Hearing your story gives me hope for the future. I very happy for your success. Wishing you a lifetime of NED. 

Christinad
                                                      Participant

jenny22
                                                        Participant

Always GREAT to read these types of stories…Many congrats on your good health!!!!!!

Thanks so much for coming back to post.

jenny22
                                                          Participant

Always GREAT to read these types of stories…Many congrats on your good health!!!!!!

jenny22
                                                            Participant

iskitwo
                                                              Participant

Thanks for the post! It's great to hear stories like this. I just started this melanoma roller coaster and have my first follow up scans this week. 

iskitwo
                                                                Participant

Thanks for the post! It's great to hear stories like this. I just started this melanoma roller coaster and have my first follow up scans this week. 

iskitwo
                                                                  Participant

Charlie S
                                                                    Participant

Good to hear.

I totally get the survivors guilt.

I totally get too that when having been at Stage IV using the word "cured"  seems like inviting a dance with the devil.

It almost seems terrible, awful, shamefull and disrespectful of others when someone has died from melanoma only for a survivor to  offer hope to others by virtue of  living.

It is fullfilling to see you post,

It was also fullfilling to see Rick post as well……………we met seven years ago in Chapel Hill.

Thanks for posting.

Charlie S

NED

Not Expecting Death

Charlie S
                                                                      Participant

Good to hear.

I totally get too that when having been at Stage IV using the word "cured"  seems like inviting a dance with the devil.

It almost seems terrible, awful, shamefull and disrespectful of others when someone has died from melanoma only for a survivor to  offer hope to others by virtue of  living.

It was also fullfilling to see Rick post as well……………we met seven years ago in Chapel Hill.

Thanks for posting.

Charlie S

NED

Not Expecting Death

Charlie S
                                                                        Participant

Good to hear.

Thanks for posting.

Charlie S

NED

Not Expecting Death

Tina Henry
                                                                          Participant

Congratulations on continued good health!!  And thank you so much for sharing your story.  Reading the stories of HOPE help me to stay positive that this is not a death sentence.  I am one year NED after IIIB diagnosis in September 2015.  I was able to get 3 doses of Yervoy prior to having a side effect and my fingers are crossed every day that it found and DESTROYED any trace evidence of this ugly monster!!!  Sending hugs and prayers for many many more years as NED!!!

Tina Henry
                                                                            Participant

Congratulations on continued good health!!  And thank you so much for sharing your story.  Reading the stories of HOPE help me to stay positive that this is not a death sentence.  I am one year NED after IIIB diagnosis in September 2015.  I was able to get 3 doses of Yervoy prior to having a side effect and my fingers are crossed every day that it found and DESTROYED any trace evidence of this ugly monster!!!  Sending hugs and prayers for many many more years as NED!!!

Tina Henry
                                                                              Participant

wasserd
                                                                                Participant

Thank you so much for sharing this! After another good MRI result today, I'm thinking about all the things you talk about. May your health continue!

Deborah

ill-live.com

wasserd
                                                                                  Participant

Thank you so much for sharing this! After another good MRI result today, I'm thinking about all the things you talk about. May your health continue!

Deborah

ill-live.com

wasserd
                                                                                    Participant

Deborah

ill-live.com

Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics