The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting interferon treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting interferon treatment

Participant

I'm starting interferon treatment on the 22nd.  Any words from the wise to the rookie?  I'm growing more anxious by the day.  Thanks so much.

I'm starting interferon treatment on the 22nd.  Any words from the wise to the rookie?  I'm growing more anxious by the day.  Thanks so much.

Viewing 28 reply threads
    • Replies
        Teodora

Inteferon is the bigest mistake stage 2 and stage 3 make.It messes up/ruins  your immune system even more whilst doing next to zero to prevent reocurrence.Just an honest opinion.Think again.

Good Luck.

Teodora

Inteferon is the bigest mistake stage 2 and stage 3 make.It messes up/ruins  your immune system even more whilst doing next to zero to prevent reocurrence.Just an honest opinion.Think again.

Good Luck.

MichaelFL
            Participant

You can look over some of the past posts in the last week or so as there are some good posts and responses. Look at the responses to DensieK for example, as she will begin soon..

Off the top of my head, you may wish to begin a anti depressant, as depression is one of the top side effects. Take something beforehand help with aches and pains, and try to have it done in the afternoon or evening, as if you have some side effects, you can hopefully sleep it off.

Ignore the ANON, someome may just be in a bad mood today.

Interferon is a personal decision, and yours alone to make.

Good luck,

Michael

Teodora

Hi,

Michael has been somewhat the bully of this bulletin board,very rude person- so please ignore his postings.

Do your research on Interferon.Interferon is a highly toxic drug that only helpedin  9% of the patients to  DELAY reocurrence with 13 months on average.It has no impact on the OS/overall survival rate/

Interferon has bad a$$ toxic side effects that may not go away for years, including manic depresson and organ failiures.

Interferon is NO MORE prescribed by leading melanoma cancer centers as Sloan Kettering and Dana Farber.It is still being pushed for one and only one reason-PROFIT.

Do check HOW MANY people here have tried Interferon-going trough hell-and failed it anyway.

If you want to detsroy your immune system and do yourself more bad than good go ahead with that outdated and dangerous rat poson.Do not listen to  miserable people who intentionaly would give you the wrong advise so you can be miserable as them.You might have or not have reocurrence-and Interferon has NOTHING to do with it.You will just ruin your health.

I would advise  you to inqure a IPI compassionate trial instead.

Best wishes,

Anonymous in a Good Mood By the Way

Teodora

Hi,

Michael has been somewhat the bully of this bulletin board,very rude person- so please ignore his postings.

Do your research on Interferon.Interferon is a highly toxic drug that only helpedin  9% of the patients to  DELAY reocurrence with 13 months on average.It has no impact on the OS/overall survival rate/

Interferon has bad a$$ toxic side effects that may not go away for years, including manic depresson and organ failiures.

Interferon is NO MORE prescribed by leading melanoma cancer centers as Sloan Kettering and Dana Farber.It is still being pushed for one and only one reason-PROFIT.

Do check HOW MANY people here have tried Interferon-going trough hell-and failed it anyway.

If you want to detsroy your immune system and do yourself more bad than good go ahead with that outdated and dangerous rat poson.Do not listen to  miserable people who intentionaly would give you the wrong advise so you can be miserable as them.You might have or not have reocurrence-and Interferon has NOTHING to do with it.You will just ruin your health.

I would advise  you to inqure a IPI compassionate trial instead.

Best wishes,

Anonymous in a Good Mood By the Way

MichaelFL
                    Participant

My response to you on this post or the other one (Jill and Eric) was not rude. I suspect you are the same poster that commented RUDELY on Jill and eric's other post as well.

It was VERY RUDE OF YOU to make the comment you did to Donna since it seems she has already decided to begin interferon. It is her decision only, not yours to make for her, or try to change her mind.

I try my very best to be respectful on this board, but at times it is people like you that do not allow it.

I also do not hide behind ANON.

If you want to get rude, you can email me directly.

MichaelFL
                      Participant

My response to you on this post or the other one (Jill and Eric) was not rude. I suspect you are the same poster that commented RUDELY on Jill and eric's other post as well.

It was VERY RUDE OF YOU to make the comment you did to Donna since it seems she has already decided to begin interferon. It is her decision only, not yours to make for her, or try to change her mind.

I try my very best to be respectful on this board, but at times it is people like you that do not allow it.

I also do not hide behind ANON.

If you want to get rude, you can email me directly.

DebbieH
                        Participant

Are you the same anon that posted above saying this site should be for SUPPORT?  Shame on you.  Seriously, shame on you for this post.

Even if interferon is only good for a delay for a small percentage of people there's still not much more out there.  There is nothing wrong with DELAY with cancer.  Delay is what we all hope for as there sure isn't a CURE out there yet for us.  So, I say, delay, delay, delay and maybe someday we WILL have a cure. 

How dare you take this person's hope away when they are asking for support.  What a mean spirited person you must be to do such a thing.

For the poster who is starting interferon.  Don't do what I did – worry yourself sick before you start!  Just take it one day at a time.  I also went into it thinking I would quit if it got too bad and I did have to quit at 9 months.  Take heart in the fact that there are MANY on this board who did interferon and are alive and well and leading healthy HAPPY lives many years later.  DebbieW just posted that she just had her 10 year anniversary from the time she was diagnosed at stage III and my 10 years of NED will be September 11 and there are many more of us.  Good luck to you.  Remember, nothing wrong with delay!

DebbieH, stage IIIC after inteferon and no scans and no doctor visits for 5 years.

DebbieH
                          Participant

Are you the same anon that posted above saying this site should be for SUPPORT?  Shame on you.  Seriously, shame on you for this post.

Even if interferon is only good for a delay for a small percentage of people there's still not much more out there.  There is nothing wrong with DELAY with cancer.  Delay is what we all hope for as there sure isn't a CURE out there yet for us.  So, I say, delay, delay, delay and maybe someday we WILL have a cure. 

How dare you take this person's hope away when they are asking for support.  What a mean spirited person you must be to do such a thing.

For the poster who is starting interferon.  Don't do what I did – worry yourself sick before you start!  Just take it one day at a time.  I also went into it thinking I would quit if it got too bad and I did have to quit at 9 months.  Take heart in the fact that there are MANY on this board who did interferon and are alive and well and leading healthy HAPPY lives many years later.  DebbieW just posted that she just had her 10 year anniversary from the time she was diagnosed at stage III and my 10 years of NED will be September 11 and there are many more of us.  Good luck to you.  Remember, nothing wrong with delay!

DebbieH, stage IIIC after inteferon and no scans and no doctor visits for 5 years.

MichaelFL
                          Participant

You can look over some of the past posts in the last week or so as there are some good posts and responses. Look at the responses to DensieK for example, as she will begin soon..

Off the top of my head, you may wish to begin a anti depressant, as depression is one of the top side effects. Take something beforehand help with aches and pains, and try to have it done in the afternoon or evening, as if you have some side effects, you can hopefully sleep it off.

Ignore the ANON, someome may just be in a bad mood today.

Interferon is a personal decision, and yours alone to make.

Good luck,

Michael

KatyWI
                            Participant

Well, I disagree with Anon above.  I recall reading some research that interferon appears to buy time by delaying recurrence for some people.  It did for me; I got eight years.  But that's not what you asked, you asked for help getting through it.  You've already made your decision, and I hope you do what many here have advised:  make your decision and don't look back.  So here's some tips from the been-there-done-that express:

Water, water, water.  Drink it.  Drink it the whole year long.  (And then you'll be so used to drinking it you'll keep on doing so, which is great for your body.)

Tylenol before the IVs (the first month, the high-dose portion) is helpful

Get your IV in the afternoon and just go to bed and try and sleep it off.

The first couple doses may completely suck.  Then, at least for me, it gets a little bit easier.

If you have horrible side effects (nausea and horrendous headache were two that I had), speak up.  They have drugs to help you manage.  Zofran helped me tremendously during the IV phase.  It's an antinausea drug.

Figure out what you can stand to eat.  For me it was instant mashed potatoes.  Your sense of taste may change, and you may just not feel liking eating.

Get yourself through the IV phase – it's rough but it's short.  Then come back and we'll help you through the maintenance phase.

Good luck to you –

KatyWI

KatyWI
                              Participant

Well, I disagree with Anon above.  I recall reading some research that interferon appears to buy time by delaying recurrence for some people.  It did for me; I got eight years.  But that's not what you asked, you asked for help getting through it.  You've already made your decision, and I hope you do what many here have advised:  make your decision and don't look back.  So here's some tips from the been-there-done-that express:

Water, water, water.  Drink it.  Drink it the whole year long.  (And then you'll be so used to drinking it you'll keep on doing so, which is great for your body.)

Tylenol before the IVs (the first month, the high-dose portion) is helpful

Get your IV in the afternoon and just go to bed and try and sleep it off.

The first couple doses may completely suck.  Then, at least for me, it gets a little bit easier.

If you have horrible side effects (nausea and horrendous headache were two that I had), speak up.  They have drugs to help you manage.  Zofran helped me tremendously during the IV phase.  It's an antinausea drug.

Figure out what you can stand to eat.  For me it was instant mashed potatoes.  Your sense of taste may change, and you may just not feel liking eating.

Get yourself through the IV phase – it's rough but it's short.  Then come back and we'll help you through the maintenance phase.

Good luck to you –

KatyWI

MikeWI
                                Participant

Donna,

I start my interferon treatment on 8/29.  I have a good understanding of what this will do to me.

I have to agree with Michael and Katy on this.  For me me it is bettter to try something than do nothing at all, and I also would like to increase my chances for longer survival.  My oncologist stated that Interferon can do this. 

For symptoms, the advice is good, for depression my doc recomends prozac. 

I wish both You and Denise good luck and will be a few weeks behind.

Thanks,

MikeWI

Stage 2c

Donna M.
                                    Participant

I agree Mike.  Better to do something than do nothing.  Good luck with your treatment!

Donna M.
                                      Participant

I agree Mike.  Better to do something than do nothing.  Good luck with your treatment!

MikeWI
                                      Participant

Donna,

I start my interferon treatment on 8/29.  I have a good understanding of what this will do to me.

I have to agree with Michael and Katy on this.  For me me it is bettter to try something than do nothing at all, and I also would like to increase my chances for longer survival.  My oncologist stated that Interferon can do this. 

For symptoms, the advice is good, for depression my doc recomends prozac. 

I wish both You and Denise good luck and will be a few weeks behind.

Thanks,

MikeWI

Stage 2c

Donna M.
                                        Participant

Thanks everybody…even anon.  I guess we all have a right to our own opinions.  I know that the likelihood of recurrence at 3a is very high, but even if interferon will only buy me some time, I'll take whatever I can get.  A year is a short period of time relative to the rest of my life. 

Thanks for the tips.  I've been researching and doing lots of reading, but thought hearing it from fellow patients would help.

I appreciate the time you took to respond.  Have a great afternoon!

Donna M.
                                          Participant

Thanks everybody…even anon.  I guess we all have a right to our own opinions.  I know that the likelihood of recurrence at 3a is very high, but even if interferon will only buy me some time, I'll take whatever I can get.  A year is a short period of time relative to the rest of my life. 

Thanks for the tips.  I've been researching and doing lots of reading, but thought hearing it from fellow patients would help.

I appreciate the time you took to respond.  Have a great afternoon!

eaca
                                              Participant

Donna,

Good luck and hope it all goes well for you.  I have no advice, because I'm just starting Interferon this week.  But I'll be thinking of you and others who are also starting at this time and hope we can give each other encouragement as we go through this process.  Best wishes,

Elisa

eaca
                                                Participant

Donna,

Good luck and hope it all goes well for you.  I have no advice, because I'm just starting Interferon this week.  But I'll be thinking of you and others who are also starting at this time and hope we can give each other encouragement as we go through this process.  Best wishes,

Elisa

Donna M.
                                                  Participant

Thanks Elisa.  I'm hoping that being able to talk to others in the same or similar situations will help us all get through this.  

Best wishes to you too.  Will be thinking of you and others starting this week, as I psych myself up for next week.

Have a great evening.

Donna

Donna M.
                                                    Participant

Thanks Elisa.  I'm hoping that being able to talk to others in the same or similar situations will help us all get through this.  

Best wishes to you too.  Will be thinking of you and others starting this week, as I psych myself up for next week.

Have a great evening.

Donna

DebbieH
                                                      Participant

Good luck to you, too Elisa!

On another note… When I was diagnosed our daughter was 13.  I had a 27% chance of being here until she was out of high school and an 18% chance to be here 10 years later.   She is now 23 and engaged.  We took her out today and bought her the most beautiful wedding gown for her wedding next summer.  I never thought I would see this and I seriously doubt that I would be here without interferon.  You can do it.  Let us know how you do.

DebbieH

DebbieH
                                                        Participant

Good luck to you, too Elisa!

On another note… When I was diagnosed our daughter was 13.  I had a 27% chance of being here until she was out of high school and an 18% chance to be here 10 years later.   She is now 23 and engaged.  We took her out today and bought her the most beautiful wedding gown for her wedding next summer.  I never thought I would see this and I seriously doubt that I would be here without interferon.  You can do it.  Let us know how you do.

DebbieH

eaca
                                                          Participant

Debbie,

Thanks for posting and your story. My daughter's turning 13 at the end of the year and I so much hope to be experiencing the same with her in 10 years as you are with your daughter now.  Best wishes to you and your daughter for a lovely wedding!

Elisa

eaca
                                                            Participant

Debbie,

Thanks for posting and your story. My daughter's turning 13 at the end of the year and I so much hope to be experiencing the same with her in 10 years as you are with your daughter now.  Best wishes to you and your daughter for a lovely wedding!

Elisa

akls
                                                            Participant

Donna,

I did a year of interferon 3/09-3/10.  I knew that the stats for interferon weren't good and I almost backed out, but I'm glad I did it.  It was a hard year, but I made it and I'm pretty much a wimp.  The IV's were the worst for me, once I got onto the shots things were easier.  I didn't work at all during the IV's but I was able to teach during the rest of the year.  Everyone is different so remember that when taking advice.  I started an anti-depressant but ended up quitting it because it was making my more depressed.  Wait and see how it effects you and then act accordingly.  One other thing, every time I felt sick or weird during that year I blamed it on the interferon instead of addressing real illnesses.  Interferon isn't responsible for everything that happens to you during that year.

Good Luck! 

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                                              Participant

Donna,

I did a year of interferon 3/09-3/10.  I knew that the stats for interferon weren't good and I almost backed out, but I'm glad I did it.  It was a hard year, but I made it and I'm pretty much a wimp.  The IV's were the worst for me, once I got onto the shots things were easier.  I didn't work at all during the IV's but I was able to teach during the rest of the year.  Everyone is different so remember that when taking advice.  I started an anti-depressant but ended up quitting it because it was making my more depressed.  Wait and see how it effects you and then act accordingly.  One other thing, every time I felt sick or weird during that year I blamed it on the interferon instead of addressing real illnesses.  Interferon isn't responsible for everything that happens to you during that year.

Good Luck! 

Amy S. in Michigan

Melanoma Mom
                                                                Participant

Donna,

Be sure to get ahead of the side effects, as best you can. Alternating between Tylenol and Advil can really help with the effects when they kick in, usually 4-6 hours after dosage. My son took Tylenol when he began the infusion, Advil two hours later and then Tylenol again two hours after that. Of course run this by your Oncologist, but this really helped a lot.

Ignore that anonymous troll …. 

Donna M.
                                                                    Participant

Thank  you.  Can you tell me why it's important to alternate between Tylenol and ibuprofen?   

Donna M.
                                                                      Participant

Thank  you.  Can you tell me why it's important to alternate between Tylenol and ibuprofen?   

lhaley
                                                                        Participant

Donna,

I cant speak to interfuron but when my son was 5 he had migranes. The Dr had me alternating between advil and tylenol every 2 hours and I can tell you that's the only thing that often got him any relief.  Tylenol recently announced that they are changing the maximum daily amount to less pills a day.  Just wanted to point that out. I think it went from 8 to 6 because of liver damage.

None of us are statistics but we all have to do what ever we can to help out our specific situation.  Sending postive vibes that this is successful for you!

Linda

Stage IV since 06, NED for almost 3 months

lhaley
                                                                          Participant

Donna,

I cant speak to interfuron but when my son was 5 he had migranes. The Dr had me alternating between advil and tylenol every 2 hours and I can tell you that's the only thing that often got him any relief.  Tylenol recently announced that they are changing the maximum daily amount to less pills a day.  Just wanted to point that out. I think it went from 8 to 6 because of liver damage.

None of us are statistics but we all have to do what ever we can to help out our specific situation.  Sending postive vibes that this is successful for you!

Linda

Stage IV since 06, NED for almost 3 months

MariaH
                                                                            Participant

Hi Donna,

My husband also alternated between Advil and Tylenol.  It really does help with controlling the headaches/body aches.  By alternating them, you do not have to wait the 4-6 hours for dosage.  Also,  water, water, and more water.  I know that Tylenol can affect your liver, and Advil your kidneys (per Dave's onc), so by alternating them you are not beating up on your organs as well.

As far as the decision of doing Interferon, don't look back.  Dave enjoyed 2.5 years of remission before his came back.  And we did alot in that time frame – bought an old motorhome and took the kids camping every chance we got.  If he could do it over again, he would.  Who knows how fast it would have come back had he not. 

I hope everything goes well for you, and keep us posted.

Maria

MariaH
                                                                              Participant

Hi Donna,

My husband also alternated between Advil and Tylenol.  It really does help with controlling the headaches/body aches.  By alternating them, you do not have to wait the 4-6 hours for dosage.  Also,  water, water, and more water.  I know that Tylenol can affect your liver, and Advil your kidneys (per Dave's onc), so by alternating them you are not beating up on your organs as well.

As far as the decision of doing Interferon, don't look back.  Dave enjoyed 2.5 years of remission before his came back.  And we did alot in that time frame – bought an old motorhome and took the kids camping every chance we got.  If he could do it over again, he would.  Who knows how fast it would have come back had he not. 

I hope everything goes well for you, and keep us posted.

Maria

Melanoma Mom
                                                                              Participant

Donna,

Be sure to get ahead of the side effects, as best you can. Alternating between Tylenol and Advil can really help with the effects when they kick in, usually 4-6 hours after dosage. My son took Tylenol when he began the infusion, Advil two hours later and then Tylenol again two hours after that. Of course run this by your Oncologist, but this really helped a lot.

Ignore that anonymous troll …. 

Cynthia C
                                                                                Participant

Yikes! Don't let any response cause even more anxiety! You have made your decision and you will find lots of advice and support here. Do listen to your body as you start this treatment. Rest alot and drink alot of water. I think everyone experiences interferon differently. I lasted 9 (IV) doses. Then my body said no. I'm glad I did it and I'm glad I stopped. Did it help me? I don't know.

Best wishes always,

Cynthia C IIIb, 10 years 5 months NED

Cynthia C
                                                                                  Participant

Yikes! Don't let any response cause even more anxiety! You have made your decision and you will find lots of advice and support here. Do listen to your body as you start this treatment. Rest alot and drink alot of water. I think everyone experiences interferon differently. I lasted 9 (IV) doses. Then my body said no. I'm glad I did it and I'm glad I stopped. Did it help me? I don't know.

Best wishes always,

Cynthia C IIIb, 10 years 5 months NED

PeaNut111
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      I’m starting Interferon today. I’m a little anxious about the side effects. I plan to take anything that will help manage them. I feel good about my decision to do the treatment as if I didn’t, I would always wonder if I had a reocurrence was it because I didn’t do the treatment. At least this way I know I have done everything I can to help prevent a reocurrence.

Cyndy

PeaNut111
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        I’m starting Interferon today. I’m a little anxious about the side effects. I plan to take anything that will help manage them. I feel good about my decision to do the treatment as if I didn’t, I would always wonder if I had a reocurrence was it because I didn’t do the treatment. At least this way I know I have done everything I can to help prevent a reocurrence.

Cyndy

Donna M.
                                                                                          Participant

Cyndy,

I feel the same way.  I'm definitely anxious about the side effects, but not about my decision to do the treatment.  I have to do all I can.  I refuse to sit in a corner somewhere throwing myself a giant pity party and waiting for the worst.  I'm going to do all I can to beat this, and it sounds like you are too.

Willl hope that you're one of those who doesn't have horrible side effects.  Good luck today.

Donna

Donna M.
                                                                                            Participant

Cyndy,

I feel the same way.  I'm definitely anxious about the side effects, but not about my decision to do the treatment.  I have to do all I can.  I refuse to sit in a corner somewhere throwing myself a giant pity party and waiting for the worst.  I'm going to do all I can to beat this, and it sounds like you are too.

Willl hope that you're one of those who doesn't have horrible side effects.  Good luck today.

Donna

jag
                                                                                            Participant

test

Lisa13
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Donna,

Best of luck with your Interferon treatment – I really hope it keeps the melanoma from coming back for many years.

Lisa – Stage 4

Lisa13
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Donna,

Best of luck with your Interferon treatment – I really hope it keeps the melanoma from coming back for many years.

Lisa – Stage 4

jag
                                                                                                  Participant

test

ValinMtl
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Donna..I did interferon for 6 months..one month was high dosage and stayed and cancer hospice.  The first month was rough…get lots of rest and drink, drink and drink some more..gatorade is good.  I continued self-injection for the next 5 months…I always felt I had one good bad day (the day after the shot) and a good day..next day before the shot in the evening.  Unfortunately, melanoma did rear its ugly face after 6 months but just to let you know, they had made a mistake by 30% (under) during high dosage in transcribing from kilos to lbs..go figure, just my luck, discovered during last week.  I was also late taking it due to recovery from surgery. 

Am I glad I did it…I never regret anything I've done to give mel a taste of its own medicine.  Didn't work for me but my neighbour's son had unknown primary about 15 years ago, stage III….still smelling the roses with no recurrence….I pray that's what happens for you!

I was also glad I did ipi…kept mel under for a while…each week we get closer to a complete cure.  Now going for the big guns…TIL..flying down to NIH tomorrow…I pray it works, if not it's still giving mel a bad time!  Val

ValinMtl
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Donna..I did interferon for 6 months..one month was high dosage and stayed and cancer hospice.  The first month was rough…get lots of rest and drink, drink and drink some more..gatorade is good.  I continued self-injection for the next 5 months…I always felt I had one good bad day (the day after the shot) and a good day..next day before the shot in the evening.  Unfortunately, melanoma did rear its ugly face after 6 months but just to let you know, they had made a mistake by 30% (under) during high dosage in transcribing from kilos to lbs..go figure, just my luck, discovered during last week.  I was also late taking it due to recovery from surgery. 

Am I glad I did it…I never regret anything I've done to give mel a taste of its own medicine.  Didn't work for me but my neighbour's son had unknown primary about 15 years ago, stage III….still smelling the roses with no recurrence….I pray that's what happens for you!

I was also glad I did ipi…kept mel under for a while…each week we get closer to a complete cure.  Now going for the big guns…TIL..flying down to NIH tomorrow…I pray it works, if not it's still giving mel a bad time!  Val

DeniseK
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          Hi Donna! I just did my first dose of Interferon yesterday. I’ll post on the main topic board too and keep you posted. Are you on facebook? Look me up-Denise Orff Kirley. I’ve been keeping my family and friends up to date there.
                                                                                                          There’s a girl Cyndy who also started yesterday.
                                                                                                          I want to post on the main forum for everyone so look for the posting there. I’ll go into detail about my experience. It will be ok. Choosing to do Interferon is a personal choice that you and your doctor make. Everyone has a different opinion but the choice is ultimately yours!!
                                                                                                          I’m gonna go post there now.
                                                                                                          Hang in there Donna! Big Hugs for you!!
                                                                                                          Denise
                                                                                                          DeniseK
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            Hi Donna! I just did my first dose of Interferon yesterday. I’ll post on the main topic board too and keep you posted. Are you on facebook? Look me up-Denise Orff Kirley. I’ve been keeping my family and friends up to date there.
                                                                                                            There’s a girl Cyndy who also started yesterday.
                                                                                                            I want to post on the main forum for everyone so look for the posting there. I’ll go into detail about my experience. It will be ok. Choosing to do Interferon is a personal choice that you and your doctor make. Everyone has a different opinion but the choice is ultimately yours!!
                                                                                                            I’m gonna go post there now.
                                                                                                            Hang in there Donna! Big Hugs for you!!
                                                                                                            Denise
                                                                                                            missbear
                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Donna,

First, I wish you the best of luck with the days, weeks, and months ahead. I have been on Interferon for almost 10 months, with 10 weeks to go.

It has been hard, for the most part a daily challenge. But, for me, somewhat of a mental life line as well. I have two children and a wonderful husband that I wnat to be with, so I found it worth a try. It is a very personal decision…and I have wanted to quit many times.

I hope that Interferon will give me far more than it took from me, but only time will tell.

For me, diet has been the most difficult of the side effects, having lost over 30 pounds still with no appetite. I have found things that are easier to eat and or drink, and that has helped.

The shots are not terrible, far easier than Infusion. It all does get a little old, but living is worth it.

I agree with the post that someone else made, "one day at a time". It is a long and personal haul – no doubt.  I try to manage Interferon one week at a time, and so far it has worked.

I wish you the best, the very very best.

Patty (Stage 3b  – diagnosed August 2010)

missbear
                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Donna,

First, I wish you the best of luck with the days, weeks, and months ahead. I have been on Interferon for almost 10 months, with 10 weeks to go.

It has been hard, for the most part a daily challenge. But, for me, somewhat of a mental life line as well. I have two children and a wonderful husband that I wnat to be with, so I found it worth a try. It is a very personal decision…and I have wanted to quit many times.

I hope that Interferon will give me far more than it took from me, but only time will tell.

For me, diet has been the most difficult of the side effects, having lost over 30 pounds still with no appetite. I have found things that are easier to eat and or drink, and that has helped.

The shots are not terrible, far easier than Infusion. It all does get a little old, but living is worth it.

I agree with the post that someone else made, "one day at a time". It is a long and personal haul – no doubt.  I try to manage Interferon one week at a time, and so far it has worked.

I wish you the best, the very very best.

Patty (Stage 3b  – diagnosed August 2010)

jimw
                                                                                                                Participant

Hi, today is 01-12-12, I'm faced with the same choice you were in August,,did you take the interferon, and if so how are you doing?? Thanks

Donna M.
                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi there Jim,

Sorry you've had to join us in melanomaland, but it's nice to "meet" you.  I did start Interferon on August 22, 2011, just a little over a month after my surgery.  I'm doing okay.  I won't lie…the first phase of infusions every day is rough.  But you can get through it.  I worked every day but one, though I did work from home. 

Once I moved on to the 2nd phase, I returned to work and haven't missed a day.  My fatigue is definitely building, but with lots of sleep it's manageable.

I chose to do the Interferon because I didn't want to look back and ask myself "What if…"  And as you can see from the string of messages in response to my initial question, it is a very personal decision.  You have to do what's best for you.

Best of luck with your decision.  I'm happy to chat about it further if you want to message me.  I have no regrets over my decision at all.

Wishing you peace,

Donna M.

Donna M.
                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi there Jim,

Sorry you've had to join us in melanomaland, but it's nice to "meet" you.  I did start Interferon on August 22, 2011, just a little over a month after my surgery.  I'm doing okay.  I won't lie…the first phase of infusions every day is rough.  But you can get through it.  I worked every day but one, though I did work from home. 

Once I moved on to the 2nd phase, I returned to work and haven't missed a day.  My fatigue is definitely building, but with lots of sleep it's manageable.

I chose to do the Interferon because I didn't want to look back and ask myself "What if…"  And as you can see from the string of messages in response to my initial question, it is a very personal decision.  You have to do what's best for you.

Best of luck with your decision.  I'm happy to chat about it further if you want to message me.  I have no regrets over my decision at all.

Wishing you peace,

Donna M.

Donna M.
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi there Jim,

Wishing you peace,

Donna M.

jimw
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi, today is 01-12-12, I'm faced with the same choice you were in August,,did you take the interferon, and if so how are you doing?? Thanks

jimw
                                                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 28 reply threads
                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics