The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IB, 21 years NED today!

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IB, 21 years NED today!

Participant

Since this site is a little skewed towards those actively fighting disease and the newly diagnosed, I think it's a good idea to post anniversaries like this to help give a bit of perspective.  21 years ago, I had a stage IA lesion removed.  .58mm/Clark II/ 1 mitosis.  In today's staging, that is now stage IB.  Since then, it's been determined that I have a genetic defect that gave me a 76% lifetime risk of melanoma.  I've also had two other primaries (in situ, .88mm/Clark III/ 1 mitosis) removed 12 and 11 years ago respectively.  But I'm sti

Since this site is a little skewed towards those actively fighting disease and the newly diagnosed, I think it's a good idea to post anniversaries like this to help give a bit of perspective.  21 years ago, I had a stage IA lesion removed.  .58mm/Clark II/ 1 mitosis.  In today's staging, that is now stage IB.  Since then, it's been determined that I have a genetic defect that gave me a 76% lifetime risk of melanoma.  I've also had two other primaries (in situ, .88mm/Clark III/ 1 mitosis) removed 12 and 11 years ago respectively.  But I'm still here, still NED 21 years later.  I was 29 when originally diagnosed and you can do the math but I'm a little older now.  It's hard to remember life prior to melanoma – melanoma is a part of who I am and what I do now.  But I refuse to let melanoma define me and conquer me!

Best wishes to all with this disease!

Janner

Viewing 38 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Thanks for all you do! 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

Thanks for all you do! 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
            Participant

Thanks for all you do! 

Mary

Stage 3

Mazeltov Janner, this is a big one. I read any post where you have commented. You have a clear eye, and a warm heart, but that big brain of yours is like a steel jawed trap when it comes to melanoma facts and hunches. Your hearts shines through in every post.

After about 5 years NED you could have left us and gone on with the rest of your life, but you stayed and stayed, and made yourself an example for us. I want to thank you and say how easy it is to think of you and your bright smile. I am getting ready for my 36th trip to Boston. I am like a Prius that has but one charging spot, but it is the one I need at MGH. I hope you know how many of us send our love on this grand day in your life.

randallgford
                Participant

I agree with this description of Janner, she is a gift to the world and the board.

Congrats, lady!! Keep up the good work. God bless, Vicki

randallgford
                  Participant

I agree with this description of Janner, she is a gift to the world and the board.

randallgford
                    Participant

Mazeltov Janner, this is a big one. I read any post where you have commented. You have a clear eye, and a warm heart, but that big brain of yours is like a steel jawed trap when it comes to melanoma facts and hunches. Your hearts shines through in every post.

After about 5 years NED you could have left us and gone on with the rest of your life, but you stayed and stayed, and made yourself an example for us. I want to thank you and say how easy it is to think of you and your bright smile. I am getting ready for my 36th trip to Boston. I am like a Prius that has but one charging spot, but it is the one I need at MGH. I hope you know how many of us send our love on this grand day in your life.

triciad
                    Participant

Janner,

Congratulations!  We are all so grateful that you have stuck around all these years to help educate us on this disease.  I know that I feel a lot better when you answer my questions!  Thank you!  Now, get out and celebrate…21 NED…cheers to many more decades of NED!

Tricia 

triciad
                      Participant

Janner,

Congratulations!  We are all so grateful that you have stuck around all these years to help educate us on this disease.  I know that I feel a lot better when you answer my questions!  Thank you!  Now, get out and celebrate…21 NED…cheers to many more decades of NED!

Tricia 

triciad
                        Participant

Janner,

Tricia 

hbecker
                          Participant

Happy NEDday! 

hbecker
                            Participant

Happy NEDday! 

hbecker
                              Participant

Happy NEDday! 

DebbieH
                                Participant

Congratulations Jan – this is a huge milestone! 

This board has been the richer all these years with you here giving great advice – you have a great way of informing without scaring people which is not easy to do! 

Now take care of that knee – talk to you later

Deb

DebbieH
                                  Participant

This board has been the richer all these years with you here giving great advice – you have a great way of informing without scaring people which is not easy to do! 

Deb

DebbieH
                                    Participant

Deb

King
                                      Participant

Janner,

Happy Nediversary!  A great, big, huge thank you for all that you do for all of us.  You are amazing.  Hmmm…the big 5-0 this year…has it happened?  ๐Ÿ™‚

Keep on living life!

Stay Strong

Kathie

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

King
                                        Participant

Janner,

Happy Nediversary!  A great, big, huge thank you for all that you do for all of us.  You are amazing.  Hmmm…the big 5-0 this year…has it happened?  ๐Ÿ™‚

Keep on living life!

Stay Strong

Kathie

King
                                          Participant

Janner,

Keep on living life!

Stay Strong

Kathie

natasha
                                            Participant

Congradulations ,Janner and thanks for all your help !!!

natasha
                                              Participant

natasha
                                                Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                  Participant

Congrats Janner!  You always do a great job educating worried newbies diagnosed with in situ or Stage I.

I hope you continue to do this for at least 21 more years!

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                    Participant

Congrats Janner!  You always do a great job educating worried newbies diagnosed with in situ or Stage I.

Best wishes,

Harry

deardad
                                                        Participant
                                                          Happy anniversary….and thanks for all you give on this board.
                                                          To a llifetime without melanoma.
                                                          Nahmi from Melbourne
                                                          deardad
                                                          Participant
                                                            Nahmi from Melbourne
                                                            deardad
                                                            Participant
                                                              Nahmi from Melbourne
                                                            Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                            Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

Janner
                                                              Participant

Thanks, everyone, and JPMM – you waxed poetic!  I've tried to leave here many times to "move on" but I've never successfully pulled it off.  King, yes, unfortunately, I've passed that mark in December.  surprise

Thanks again, everyone!

Janner

Janner
                                                                Participant

Thanks, everyone, and JPMM – you waxed poetic!  I've tried to leave here many times to "move on" but I've never successfully pulled it off.  King, yes, unfortunately, I've passed that mark in December.  surprise

Thanks again, everyone!

Janner

NYKaren
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Sorry I’m late to the party… Congratulations, Janner, and thank you for all you do here. I just peeked at your profile–I had forgotten that we share a special “bond”–we’re both allergic to Benzoin and Mastisol and sensitive to adhesives. BTW, Steri-strips work very well without that stuff.
                                                                      All the best,
                                                                      Karen
                                                                      NYKaren
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Sorry I’m late to the party… Congratulations, Janner, and thank you for all you do here. I just peeked at your profile–I had forgotten that we share a special “bond”–we’re both allergic to Benzoin and Mastisol and sensitive to adhesives. BTW, Steri-strips work very well without that stuff.
                                                                        All the best,
                                                                        Karen
                                                                        NYKaren
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          All the best,
                                                                          Karen
                                                                          Janner
                                                                          Participant

Karen, I've since discovered "Skin-Prep".  It's a barrier wipe.  Swipe the skin and then put on the bandaid or tape and….. it works!  For the most part, I still avoid any adhesives – just easier.  But these wipes make a huge difference in conquering adhesives!  There are other brands, that's just the one I found at my medical supply store.  Also a little pricey, but it sure beats dealing with welts!  (I take my own supply with me to any possible medical procedure – just in case). 

Cheers,

Janner

Janner
                                                                            Participant

Karen, I've since discovered "Skin-Prep".  It's a barrier wipe.  Swipe the skin and then put on the bandaid or tape and….. it works!  For the most part, I still avoid any adhesives – just easier.  But these wipes make a huge difference in conquering adhesives!  There are other brands, that's just the one I found at my medical supply store.  Also a little pricey, but it sure beats dealing with welts!  (I take my own supply with me to any possible medical procedure – just in case). 

Cheers,

Janner

Janner
                                                                              Participant

Cheers,

Janner

NYKaren
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  That’s very good to know; thanks. Now that you mention it, I think they used Skin-Prep on me during IL-2 to keep the IV site from getting too irritated. Yep, there’s nothing like those welts! (I can’t believe I remember anything from an IL-2 week!
                                                                                  I know exactly what you mean about age; I’m nearing 53 and so grateful to get there!

Janner, for all your great, calming advice to newcomers, I just thought of a new acronym: WWJS; What would Janner say?
                                                                                  Even though I’m IIIC unresectable, I continue to learn from you all the time. Your depth of knowledge is incredible.
                                                                                  Again, mazel Tov and thank you!
                                                                                  Karen

Janner
                                                                                  Participant

I LOVE "WWJS"!!!  coolyes  since I usually have an opinion on most everything! 

Janner
                                                                                    Participant

Janner
                                                                                      Participant

NYKaren
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          That’s very good to know; thanks. Now that you mention it, I think they used Skin-Prep on me during IL-2 to keep the IV site from getting too irritated. Yep, there’s nothing like those welts! (I can’t believe I remember anything from an IL-2 week!
                                                                                          I know exactly what you mean about age; I’m nearing 53 and so grateful to get there!

Janner, for all your great, calming advice to newcomers, I just thought of a new acronym: WWJS; What would Janner say?
                                                                                          Even though I’m IIIC unresectable, I continue to learn from you all the time. Your depth of knowledge is incredible.
                                                                                          Karen

NYKaren
                                                                                          Participant

Karen

Janner
                                                                                          Participant

Thanks again, everyone!

Janner

Tina D
                                                                                            Participant

Congratulations on this great milestone! Our perspective on getting older changes when we realize how much of a gift this life really is. I know I am welcoming 49 this year with wide open arms ๐Ÿ™‚  . You contribute so much to this forum, and I know when I see certain questions come up, I always hope to see you respond — you have a boatlaod of knowledge and have been so generous to share always. Thank you for all you contribute and have a great day celebrating!!

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                              Participant

Congratulations on this great milestone! Our perspective on getting older changes when we realize how much of a gift this life really is. I know I am welcoming 49 this year with wide open arms ๐Ÿ™‚  . You contribute so much to this forum, and I know when I see certain questions come up, I always hope to see you respond — you have a boatlaod of knowledge and have been so generous to share always. Thank you for all you contribute and have a great day celebrating!!

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                Participant

Tina

jim Breitfeller
                                                                                                  Participant

Congratulations on this milestone!  Thaks

Thank for your continious caring!! You are truly in a league of your own.

Jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
                                                                                                    Participant

Jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
                                                                                                      Participant

Jimmy b

Kim K
                                                                                                        Participant

Happy Happy Happy.

So does this mean your non-existant mel can drink?  If not, then knock one back for kicking its rear….  Thanks again for all that you do for the posters here and on your stage I site.

Aloha,

Kim

Kim K
                                                                                                          Participant

Happy Happy Happy.

So does this mean your non-existant mel can drink?  If not, then knock one back for kicking its rear….  Thanks again for all that you do for the posters here and on your stage I site.

Aloha,

Kim

Kim K
                                                                                                            Participant

Happy Happy Happy.

Aloha,

Kim

_Paul_
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                Congrats on another year, and thank you so much for sharing your considerable knowledge with us!
                                                                                                                _Paul_
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  Congrats on another year, and thank you so much for sharing your considerable knowledge with us!
                                                                                                                  _Paul_
                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics