The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3…five years and doing the happy dance

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3…five years and doing the happy dance

Participant
      Hi all – a long term contributor/observer here. Just had my 5 year scan this week and was officially “released” from any further follow up…woohoo…doing the happy dance big time.

The short story…for those looking for good news…my story has a happy ending. I was diagnosed Stage 3 and went the Interferon route (might have been one of the last people to take Interferon here in the US…but it was the only approved treatment for Stage 3 at the time.) At the time, the stats were 30% chance of going to Stage 4 which was would have meant 5-8 months life expectancy and with only a 5% long term survival rate. Survived a terrible year on Interferon, 13 PET Scans, 5 MRIs and 2 CAT Scans over the past 5 years.

Looking at some of the posts over the past few weeks/months and I see so much has changed with the stats looking almost miraculous. Also see Bubbles is still posting with great information…so want to extend special thanks to her (and many others). I also have seen we lost some fighters so my thoughts are with their families.

Can’t say I enjoyed the experience but it was certainly an eye opener in terms of what is important in life. I want to thank all those that gave me emotional support in the dark days…especially in the first year.

For those that are just being diagnosed…don’t give up. There is so much to be hopeful in terms of present day treatment options…with more coming down the road.

All the best wishes….Michel

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        JeanD
        Participant
          Well done! 🙂
          Suzana65
          Participant
            Love to hear that. Go live your happy life.
            Bubbles
            Participant
              Hey Michel!! Congrats! Thanks for the shout out! It’s been a long hard road for too many here…but one filled with hope and joy as well. I wish you my best. Celeste
              Baby_Girl
              Participant
                Congrats! That’s wonderful news! I needed to see this, gives me hope!
                MelMel
                Participant
                  Congratulations and best wishes!
                  Melanie
                  jbronicki
                  Participant
                    That is definitely Happy Dance worthy! Congratulations!
                    SOLE
                    Participant
                      Simply amazing! My heartfelt congratulations Michel! Hope to say the same thing in two years….
                      MelanomaMike
                      Participant
                        YeeeeeHa! Like David on QVC after he eats something yummy, Happy Dance!! Happy Dance! I remember you back when i first knocked on MRF’s door asking to come in out of the severe Melanoma weather, im so glad your good to go! Im right behind you! My new meds are gunna knock this Mel right out of me and others to! Blessed we are…
                        Julie in SoCal
                        Participant
                          Woohooooo!!

Happy Dancing here in SoCal!

Julie

Becky
                          Participant
                            My son did a year of interferon in 2009…10 years NED! I guess we will never know if interferon helped, but at this point maybe it doesn’t matter. Happy dances all around!
                            DebbieH
                            Participant
                              Awesome news! I am stage 3C, also did interferon (not as many choices back then) and I’ve been fine for over 18 years. There is plenty of hope, especially now.
                              DebbieH
                              Participant
                                Awesome news! I am stage 3C, also did interferon (not as many choices back then) and I’ve been fine for over 18 years. There is plenty of hope, especially now.
                            Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics