The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Spooked

Forums General Melanoma Community Spooked

Participant

Nothing ceases to amaze me.  I've had more scans than many have had birthdays during all my seemingly perpetual skank prom dates with melanoma over my years. 

More often than not, my doc has had to drag me in for scans (usually after calling my mother !) because I  more often than not  would always blow them off. under the guise that I was busy living..  Scans were, and always have been a nuisance to me for many reasons.

Nothing ceases to amaze me.  I've had more scans than many have had birthdays during all my seemingly perpetual skank prom dates with melanoma over my years. 

More often than not, my doc has had to drag me in for scans (usually after calling my mother !) because I  more often than not  would always blow them off. under the guise that I was busy living..  Scans were, and always have been a nuisance to me for many reasons.

I have this game of chance that I play with my doc prior to scans:  I always write down what I expect the results to be, put it in an envelope, lick it shut and when he tells me the results, I whip out my envelope to "score" how I did. .  Probably in most medical circles, that type of behavior would be considered as the ultimate smartass; but my doc is a nice guy and knows me well, so he puts up with me..

Tonight, after again blowing off scans for some time, I sat here and  stuffed my envelope in advance of my ct, pet and brain MRI tomorrow.

NEVER have I had scaniety, but  this time is different after stuffing my envelope.  I'm not looking for sympathy, good wishes or any of that., but know that there are times when we all doubt ourselves and when that happens is the time to step into your strength.

See, I'm not so tough after all !

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 53 reply threads
    • Replies
        Donna M.
        Participant

My fingers are crossed that your scans are clear!

Charlie S
            Participant

Thanks, though I never have been, this is one time I want to be wrong, wrong, wrong.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
              Participant

Thanks, though I never have been, this is one time I want to be wrong, wrong, wrong.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Donna M.
              Participant

My fingers are crossed that your scans are clear!

lhaley
                Participant

The question is how often has your envelope been right?  The last several months have been hard for many around you, it's normal for you to sit back and wonder about your own existence.   I'm surprised you haven't felt the full effect of scan anxiety many times, after all you are human! 

Deep breaths my friend. When I'm in he middle of my scan anxieties I keep telling myself that it doesn't really change anything, the scan just tells me what is going on.  For me the worst is when I know the tech has had a chance to see the scan and I don't know the result.

Do they really call your mom????

You have many pulling for you.

Linda

Charlie S
                    Participant

Ha,yes  they really DO call my Mom !  Usually she just shakes her head and says "your doctor called me"

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                      Participant

Ha,yes  they really DO call my Mom !  Usually she just shakes her head and says "your doctor called me"

Cheers,

Charlie S

lhaley
                      Participant

The question is how often has your envelope been right?  The last several months have been hard for many around you, it's normal for you to sit back and wonder about your own existence.   I'm surprised you haven't felt the full effect of scan anxiety many times, after all you are human! 

Deep breaths my friend. When I'm in he middle of my scan anxieties I keep telling myself that it doesn't really change anything, the scan just tells me what is going on.  For me the worst is when I know the tech has had a chance to see the scan and I don't know the result.

Do they really call your mom????

You have many pulling for you.

Linda

NancyGM
                        Participant

None of us are that tough…even when we think we are…I hope you feel our collective strength with you tomorrow, Charlie. Best of luck!

NancyGM
                          Participant

None of us are that tough…even when we think we are…I hope you feel our collective strength with you tomorrow, Charlie. Best of luck!

shellebrownies
                            Participant

Charlie,

I have all the faith in the world that things will turn out just fine for you tomorrow. It's natural for anyone to have doubts from time to time. There has also been a fair bit of sad news on the board in the last couple months, and that's enough to get even a seasoned vet a bit nervous.

I do hope you'll let us know (once you have gotten the results) when you learn everything is fine. : )

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                              Participant

Charlie,

I have all the faith in the world that things will turn out just fine for you tomorrow. It's natural for anyone to have doubts from time to time. There has also been a fair bit of sad news on the board in the last couple months, and that's enough to get even a seasoned vet a bit nervous.

I do hope you'll let us know (once you have gotten the results) when you learn everything is fine. : )

Michelle, wife of Don

BarbieGirl
                                Participant

Hey toughie……….. I'd LOVE to think the scans will show you are dancing with NED, but will settle for "stable", even though the word in itself reminds me of horse-shit! =)

Looking forward to an update!  (oh…. and a reply to my email about the in-situ they found in my WLE would be awesome!)

Love ya bunches, Charlie!  (So much you're in my profile pix, ya know! haha!) 

*hugz* ~Lisa~

BarbieGirl
                                  Participant

Hey toughie……….. I'd LOVE to think the scans will show you are dancing with NED, but will settle for "stable", even though the word in itself reminds me of horse-shit! =)

Looking forward to an update!  (oh…. and a reply to my email about the in-situ they found in my WLE would be awesome!)

Love ya bunches, Charlie!  (So much you're in my profile pix, ya know! haha!) 

*hugz* ~Lisa~

Dynasysman
                                    Participant

HI Charlie —

You once told me that after a while, a long-timer knows his body pretty well.  YOu didn't mention how often the body (or the mind, working through the body) plays tricks on you…

and, by the way, it isn't "tough" until you know you have something to be tough about.

Best wishes tomorrow.  More people than you can count are sending good karma and wishes.

Dynasysman
                                      Participant

HI Charlie —

You once told me that after a while, a long-timer knows his body pretty well.  YOu didn't mention how often the body (or the mind, working through the body) plays tricks on you…

and, by the way, it isn't "tough" until you know you have something to be tough about.

Best wishes tomorrow.  More people than you can count are sending good karma and wishes.

Dynasysman
                                          Participant

Oh, yes, don't forget to get the Frequent Flyer discount :>)

Dynasysman
                                            Participant

Oh, yes, don't forget to get the Frequent Flyer discount :>)

akls
                                            Participant

Charlie,

Wishing you all the best tomorrow. 

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                              Participant

Charlie,

Wishing you all the best tomorrow. 

Amy S. in Michigan

Vermont_Donna
                                                  Participant

Dear Charlie,

I think its great that you shared with us your feelings. This fear of the unknown that the scans will now show, is fear we all feel. We hope for the best, prepare for the worst and struggle through the day holding our breath. So breathe, and then breathe again. I get scanned every three months at this point and I feel that I do want to know ASAP if something is going on, so for me, I feel comforted in a way.

Thinking the best for you, and for all of us!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                                                    Participant

Dear Charlie,

I think its great that you shared with us your feelings. This fear of the unknown that the scans will now show, is fear we all feel. We hope for the best, prepare for the worst and struggle through the day holding our breath. So breathe, and then breathe again. I get scanned every three months at this point and I feel that I do want to know ASAP if something is going on, so for me, I feel comforted in a way.

Thinking the best for you, and for all of us!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Lisa13
                                                      Participant

Charlie,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and believe everything will continue to be all good.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                                        Participant

Charlie,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and believe everything will continue to be all good.

Lisa

MariaH
                                                        Participant

Charlie, scanxiety is normal.  You know that it is how you handle whatever the results are that makes you "you". 

And you're still tough as nails.

Best wishes, and keep kicking mels a#s.

Maria

MariaH
                                                          Participant

Charlie, scanxiety is normal.  You know that it is how you handle whatever the results are that makes you "you". 

And you're still tough as nails.

Best wishes, and keep kicking mels a#s.

Maria

Rebecca and Bob
                                                            Participant

Charlie,

I know your not looking for them but we are sending them anyway. Lots of good thoughts and prayers that you get good news! You sound like my husband, if he's told 2 months he stretches it to 3. Then he's told 3 months and he stretches it to 4. Now with 4 months what will he try to do. I always have to call for him and drag him in.

It's good your mother is there to shake her head, we always need someone. Good luck.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                                              Participant

Charlie,

I know your not looking for them but we are sending them anyway. Lots of good thoughts and prayers that you get good news! You sound like my husband, if he's told 2 months he stretches it to 3. Then he's told 3 months and he stretches it to 4. Now with 4 months what will he try to do. I always have to call for him and drag him in.

It's good your mother is there to shake her head, we always need someone. Good luck.

Rebecca

Lori C
                                                                Participant

Charlie, you have my best wishes & prayers that your scanxiety is way off base.   This "Lady or the Tiger" drama that all scans represent takes a toll on the toughest!

Lori

Lori C
                                                                  Participant

Charlie, you have my best wishes & prayers that your scanxiety is way off base.   This "Lady or the Tiger" drama that all scans represent takes a toll on the toughest!

Lori

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                                    Participant

Thinking of you Bud.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                                      Participant

Thinking of you Bud.

Jerry from Cape Cod

CarolA
                                                                        Participant

So, you're not so tough, you say?    I knew underneath that crustiness there was a gushy human (wasn't so hard to see that).   I'm sure you'll have on your armor heading out today and you will be tapping into your own strength.   Even though you aren't seeking the good wishes, I'm in line with the others thinking and sending them.    And, as the others, I will be waiting to see your next post.

(Hey, whatever happened to that porch cat you had hanging around?   I can't remember the end of that cat story?)

CarolA ~ Stage III

Amherst, NY             

CarolA
                                                                          Participant

So, you're not so tough, you say?    I knew underneath that crustiness there was a gushy human (wasn't so hard to see that).   I'm sure you'll have on your armor heading out today and you will be tapping into your own strength.   Even though you aren't seeking the good wishes, I'm in line with the others thinking and sending them.    And, as the others, I will be waiting to see your next post.

(Hey, whatever happened to that porch cat you had hanging around?   I can't remember the end of that cat story?)

CarolA ~ Stage III

Amherst, NY             

BonnieLea
                                                                              Participant

ya the cat that lived in the pumpkin and then you bought him a cat house (no not that kind) I really wish the outcome of these scans is GOOD  and not always what you may say in your envelope, unless of course your envelope is always 100% good positive.

Luff Bonnie Lea

BonnieLea
                                                                                Participant

ya the cat that lived in the pumpkin and then you bought him a cat house (no not that kind) I really wish the outcome of these scans is GOOD  and not always what you may say in your envelope, unless of course your envelope is always 100% good positive.

Luff Bonnie Lea

Jackie W
                                                                                Participant

You may not want them, but you've got my best wishes for good scans.  Please keep  us posted.

Jackie W

Jackie W
                                                                                  Participant

You may not want them, but you've got my best wishes for good scans.  Please keep  us posted.

Jackie W

djpayn
                                                                                    Participant

Charlie,

I just wanna tell you that i love you. And you are a smartass, but that is part of the reason i love you! I hope and pray that your scan results are stable, ned, anything but bad news. And thank you for sharing with us. Especially when you are showing us that the man whos seen and done it all when it comes to melanoma, needs us as much as we need you.

And please give your mom a hug from me… anyone who can get you to do something you dont wanna do… is a superhero in my book!!

Dawna

djpayn
                                                                                      Participant

Charlie,

I just wanna tell you that i love you. And you are a smartass, but that is part of the reason i love you! I hope and pray that your scan results are stable, ned, anything but bad news. And thank you for sharing with us. Especially when you are showing us that the man whos seen and done it all when it comes to melanoma, needs us as much as we need you.

And please give your mom a hug from me… anyone who can get you to do something you dont wanna do… is a superhero in my book!!

Dawna

deeczar
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Charlie

I have been reading posts from people since having a reoccurrence in Jan2011. There seems to be alot of scary things on here, also alot of info. So I have seen posts from you and you are pretty strong! Your most recent post shows me we all fall down and then we get back up and brush ourselves off and keep on going. This is my first post and I wanted to wish you the best !!!

Dee 🙂

Stage III

deeczar
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Charlie

I have been reading posts from people since having a reoccurrence in Jan2011. There seems to be alot of scary things on here, also alot of info. So I have seen posts from you and you are pretty strong! Your most recent post shows me we all fall down and then we get back up and brush ourselves off and keep on going. This is my first post and I wanted to wish you the best !!!

Dee 🙂

Stage III

triciad
                                                                                            Participant

Charlie,

Everyone is wrong at least once, so I hope this is your time.  Best wishes for good results with the scans.  Sending positive thoughts your way!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                                              Participant

Charlie,

Everyone is wrong at least once, so I hope this is your time.  Best wishes for good results with the scans.  Sending positive thoughts your way!

Tricia

JuleFL
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  Unwanted Good Wishes headed your way…..

Jule

JuleFL
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    Unwanted Good Wishes headed your way…..

Jule

gabsound
                                                                                                    Participant

Charlie,

If I were melanoma, I think I would really think twice about hanging out with you!!

Hope you get good news.

Thanks for all your thoughtful posts. Your directness is just what many of us need 🙂

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                                                                      Participant

Charlie,

If I were melanoma, I think I would really think twice about hanging out with you!!

Hope you get good news.

Thanks for all your thoughtful posts. Your directness is just what many of us need 🙂

Julie in Las Vegas

PlantLady
                                                                                                        Participant

Scanxiety.  I like that name!

My husband had his PET scan yesterday, and we will find out the results on Wed.  We hope the 2 doses of Ipi did something good.   The waiting is hard, and I find I have a knot in my stomach off and on, and have awakened with a start in the middle of the night, only to have my mind go off into the most unpleasant of places. 

I have to steer my little mind back on a positive track.

Good luck with your scans.

CJ, wife of Ron, Stage IV metastatic melanoma with NO primary

PlantLady
                                                                                                          Participant

My husband had his PET scan yesterday, and we will find out the results on Wed.  We hope the 2 doses of Ipi did something good.   The waiting is hard, and I find I have a knot in my stomach off and on, and have awakened with a start in the middle of the night, only to have my mind go off into the most unpleasant of places. 

PlantLady
                                                                                                            Participant

PlantLady
                                                                                                              Participant

Cate
                                                                                                                Participant

Hi Charlie, you have always been a source of inspiration for me though out my father's  illness.  Sending good thoughts your way, even though I'm hopeful you don't need them 🙂

Cate
                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Charlie, you have always been a source of inspiration for me though out my father's  illness.  Sending good thoughts your way, even though I'm hopeful you don't need them 🙂

washoegal
                                                                                                                    Participant

Did someone think you were tough??????? Certainly not your mommy, now how will you ever live that one down?  Charlie, if anyone can scare the he&& out of the MEL Devil it is you, no one like's their scans and whether you admitted it or not there has always been anxiety otherwise you wouldn't have postponed them all the time.  (Dr Freud is my new screen name).  So smile pretty for your pics and we'll be sending all the vibs and prayers and everything else the universe has to offer your way.  Then go have a Pizza and Beer.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                                                                                                      Participant

Did someone think you were tough??????? Certainly not your mommy, now how will you ever live that one down?  Charlie, if anyone can scare the he&& out of the MEL Devil it is you, no one like's their scans and whether you admitted it or not there has always been anxiety otherwise you wouldn't have postponed them all the time.  (Dr Freud is my new screen name).  So smile pretty for your pics and we'll be sending all the vibs and prayers and everything else the universe has to offer your way.  Then go have a Pizza and Beer.

Mary

Stage 3

Rocco
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hey Charlie,

It's official…you are human.  Scaniety hits us all at one time or another.  Sounds like it took it's sweet time hitting you.  So time to square up, look mel in the face yet again and stick your tongue out at it despite what you may be feeling on the inside. 

PS – Right there with you as I just had my quarterly scans on Saturday and will get the results this morning. Experiencing butterfiles the size of eagles this AM…

Hang in there!

Rocco, IV since 2005

Rocco
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hey Charlie,

It's official…you are human.  Scaniety hits us all at one time or another.  Sounds like it took it's sweet time hitting you.  So time to square up, look mel in the face yet again and stick your tongue out at it despite what you may be feeling on the inside. 

PS – Right there with you as I just had my quarterly scans on Saturday and will get the results this morning. Experiencing butterfiles the size of eagles this AM…

Hang in there!

Rocco, IV since 2005

dian in spokane
                                                                                                                            Participant

Charlie, you know I am usually right about my scans too! I hope you are WRONG this time, and that all is well with you. I see you wrote this a couple days ago..I've been off in vegas with kind of intermittant web access..I hope every thing went well yesterday, and that you'll let us know what the results are.

Dian in spokane

dian in spokane
                                                                                                                              Participant

Charlie, you know I am usually right about my scans too! I hope you are WRONG this time, and that all is well with you. I see you wrote this a couple days ago..I've been off in vegas with kind of intermittant web access..I hope every thing went well yesterday, and that you'll let us know what the results are.

Dian in spokane

alicia
                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                  Charlie, sending good thoughts, prayers, and cyber hugs your way:-) I just love reading your posts and love your sense of humor. I truly hope everything is ok. Please keep us updated.

Alicia stage 3 w/ 3 primaries

alicia
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                    Charlie, sending good thoughts, prayers, and cyber hugs your way:-) I just love reading your posts and love your sense of humor. I truly hope everything is ok. Please keep us updated.

Alicia stage 3 w/ 3 primaries

JennerFromIowa
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Sure hope you are WRONG!!  Hoping for the best for you, Charlie!

JennerFromIowa
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Sure hope you are WRONG!!  Hoping for the best for you, Charlie!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Scaniety, 

What can i say!  Man, you know what I think and hope.  I have had problems getting on line while traveling  and just got this post.Hope you come into chat while I'm hanging.  I want to know the results.  Please don't make me wait. 

People, don't pick on Charlie too much.  He's not all bad.

Love y ou amd respect you ,man. 

Semper Fi

Jerry

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Scaniety, 

What can i say!  Man, you know what I think and hope.  I have had problems getting on line while traveling  and just got this post.Hope you come into chat while I'm hanging.  I want to know the results.  Please don't make me wait. 

People, don't pick on Charlie too much.  He's not all bad.

Love y ou amd respect you ,man. 

Semper Fi

Jerry

Viewing 53 reply threads
                                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics