The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

She fought a short but tough battle

Forums General Melanoma Community She fought a short but tough battle

Participant

I've posted just a few times on this forum, but check often and read most all posts.  My mom was 74 years old, diagnosed with vaginal melanoma with mets to the brain at the end of May, 2015.  She passed away October 2nd.  

She initially had surgery to remove the vaginal tumor, but they were not able to get it all, and it had also adhered to her bladder.  She was immediately started on Keytruda, and had radiation treatments on both the brain met, and pelvic area.  (BRAF neg).  After 3 doses of Keytruda, the PET scan showed growth in all areas, and new lesions in the brain, lungs and bone.  She then went through whole brain radiation, and was put on the ipi/nivo combo.  After the 2nd dose of the combo, she began to deteriorate, and after consultations with all involved, hospice was called in.  She died 2 weeks after her last treatment.  

On a positive note, the only side-effects of all the treatments were some fatigue and lack of appetite.  Neither were severe enough to keep her from living her everyday life.  

I think about all of you often, and hope hope hope they find a cure for this horrible disease.  Keep up the fight!

Viewing 41 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jubes
        Participant

So sorry for your loss. But thanks for taking the time to let us know. It helps us realize the miracle that we have for those of us who have responded to treatment. 

Best wishes to you and your family

anne-Louise 

Jubes
          Participant

So sorry for your loss. But thanks for taking the time to let us know. It helps us realize the miracle that we have for those of us who have responded to treatment. 

anne-Louise 

Jubes
            Participant

anne-Louise 

jbronicki
              Participant

So sorry to hear about your mother, my deepest condolences.  Losing a parent is never easy but she obviously had a very caring child and you were a wonderful advocate for her.  Hugs for you and your family. 

jbronicki
                Participant

So sorry to hear about your mother, my deepest condolences.  Losing a parent is never easy but she obviously had a very caring child and you were a wonderful advocate for her.  Hugs for you and your family. 

jbronicki
                  Participant

Scooby123
                    Participant

So sorry for your loss. Thoughts with you and your family

scooby ❤️

Scooby123
                      Participant

scooby ❤️

Scooby123
                        Participant

scooby ❤️

geriakt
                          Participant

Sorry about you mom. May she rest in peace. My mom passed when she was 67 from cancer.  

Tom

geriakt
                            Participant

Sorry about you mom. May she rest in peace. My mom passed when she was 67 from cancer.  

Tom

geriakt
                              Participant

Tom

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

So sorry for the loss of your mom 🙁 Stupid awful disease.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                    Participant

Artie

jamieth29
                                      Participant
                                        I’m sorry for your loss. You and your mom are in my thoughts.
                                        jamieth29
                                        Participant
                                          jamieth29
                                          Participant
                                            CHD
                                            Participant

I am sad to hear about your mom.  So glad your mom had some quality of life while on the treatments.  I too hope with all my heart for a cure, and I am so sorry for your loss.

CHD
                                              Participant

I am sad to hear about your mom.  So glad your mom had some quality of life while on the treatments.  I too hope with all my heart for a cure, and I am so sorry for your loss.

CHD
                                                Participant

BrianP
                                                  Participant

Sorry for your loss.  Your mom's case shows that although we have some great new drugs there is still much to do.

Brian

BrianP
                                                    Participant

Sorry for your loss.  Your mom's case shows that although we have some great new drugs there is still much to do.

Brian

BrianP
                                                      Participant

Brian

dentholla
                                                        Participant

I am very sorry for the loss of your mother.

dentholla
                                                          Participant

dentholla
                                                            Participant

RaquelP
                                                              Participant

So sorry to hear this! I am sure you were an amazing caretaker, and now must take care of yourself. It is great that the time you spent together during treatment was she was able to enjoy her life.

RaquelP
                                                                Participant

So sorry to hear this! I am sure you were an amazing caretaker, and now must take care of yourself. It is great that the time you spent together during treatment was she was able to enjoy her life.

RaquelP
                                                                  Participant

yazziemac
                                                                    Participant

I'm sorry for your loss!  I'm thankful that your Mom was able to be pain free and had a good quality of life through to the end.  

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                                                      Participant

I'm sorry for your loss!  I'm thankful that your Mom was able to be pain free and had a good quality of life through to the end.  

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                                                        Participant

Yasmin

Scooby123
                                                                          Participant

I posted yesterday but does not seem to come on. I am so sorry for your loss thoughts with you and your family.

scooby123

Scooby123
                                                                            Participant

I posted yesterday but does not seem to come on. I am so sorry for your loss thoughts with you and your family.

scooby123

Scooby123
                                                                              Participant

scooby123

Millykamp
                                                                                Participant

I am so sorry to hear about your mom

Millykamp
                                                                                  Participant

Millykamp
                                                                                    Participant

Fen
                                                                                      Participant

Deepest sympathy on your loss.  I'm so glad she had good quality of life before she passed away – what a gift at the end of life.   Keeping you and your family in my prayers.         Fen

Fen
                                                                                        Participant

Deepest sympathy on your loss.  I'm so glad she had good quality of life before she passed away – what a gift at the end of life.   Keeping you and your family in my prayers.         Fen

Fen
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 41 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics