The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sharyn Power-Piercy

Forums General Melanoma Community Sharyn Power-Piercy

Participant

Hello MPIP family,

King posted under a different thread about our friend Sharyn, but I thought I would start a separate thread for Sharyn. With tear streaming down my face, I just read about her passing today. Sharyn and I developed a special friendship, and exchanged many emails. Someday we planned to meet in Montreal with Val, and have some fun times. I HATE this damn disease!!! Sharyn, my friend I will miss you so much, you are in my heart forever. My sympathy to your loving family and friends.

Vermont_Donna

Hello MPIP family,

King posted under a different thread about our friend Sharyn, but I thought I would start a separate thread for Sharyn. With tear streaming down my face, I just read about her passing today. Sharyn and I developed a special friendship, and exchanged many emails. Someday we planned to meet in Montreal with Val, and have some fun times. I HATE this damn disease!!! Sharyn, my friend I will miss you so much, you are in my heart forever. My sympathy to your loving family and friends.

Vermont_Donna

ps I was unable to cut and past the family email and obit because I am an idiot with computers but you will find it under the question about Sharyn and Val, and King kindly posted it

Viewing 31 reply threads
    • Replies

I also received this sad email.  It was for Sharyn that I stayed attached to this site after my father passed away.  I will miss her too!  She was an inspiration, a resource, an inspiration to so many people.  I know Sharyn's circle of friends and family will comfort each other in the spirit that she comforted all of us.

I have attached the obituary notice below. It is the same that King posted.

Peace, comfort and good wishes to all of you.  

ellen – dads daughter

Sharyn Marie Power-Piercy

April 18, 1957 – June 4, 2011. Another chapter of Sharyn’s journey has begun. Celebrating, and left behind to continue with her passion for life and dreams for family and friends are her immediate family including her husband and best friend Jim, her six children Ricky (Katherine), Julie (Justin), Jessie (Kieran), Matthew (Nikita), Mark (Crystal), Michael (Susan), Nanny’s special little angel Taylor. Also honouring Sharyn’s life are her parents Joan and Albert Power, siblings Dave (Judy), Doreen, Carol (Mark), and Kevin (Rhonda), mother-in-law Abbie Piercy, father-in-law Harold Piercy (Bonny), sister-in-law Joanne (Jim), many nieces, nephews, extended family, and a group of very special friends and Gus.

The family would like to give special thanks to Dr. Rorke, Dr. Norman, Dr. Laing, and the numerous other doctors from Newfoundland to California who not only helped but listened throughout her journey.

A gathering to celebrate of her life will take place at Barrett’s Funeral Home Commonwealth Avenue in Mount Pearl (Barretts please fill in appropriate information). Donations can be made in Sharyn’s name to the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Centre.

“May angels lead you in – 143”

I also received this sad email.  It was for Sharyn that I stayed attached to this site after my father passed away.  I will miss her too!  She was an inspiration, a resource, an inspiration to so many people.  I know Sharyn's circle of friends and family will comfort each other in the spirit that she comforted all of us.

I have attached the obituary notice below. It is the same that King posted.

Peace, comfort and good wishes to all of you.  

ellen – dads daughter

Sharyn Marie Power-Piercy

April 18, 1957 – June 4, 2011. Another chapter of Sharyn’s journey has begun. Celebrating, and left behind to continue with her passion for life and dreams for family and friends are her immediate family including her husband and best friend Jim, her six children Ricky (Katherine), Julie (Justin), Jessie (Kieran), Matthew (Nikita), Mark (Crystal), Michael (Susan), Nanny’s special little angel Taylor. Also honouring Sharyn’s life are her parents Joan and Albert Power, siblings Dave (Judy), Doreen, Carol (Mark), and Kevin (Rhonda), mother-in-law Abbie Piercy, father-in-law Harold Piercy (Bonny), sister-in-law Joanne (Jim), many nieces, nephews, extended family, and a group of very special friends and Gus.

The family would like to give special thanks to Dr. Rorke, Dr. Norman, Dr. Laing, and the numerous other doctors from Newfoundland to California who not only helped but listened throughout her journey.

A gathering to celebrate of her life will take place at Barrett’s Funeral Home Commonwealth Avenue in Mount Pearl (Barretts please fill in appropriate information). Donations can be made in Sharyn’s name to the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Centre.

“May angels lead you in – 143”

FormerCaregiver
        Participant

My heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by the tragic loss of Sharyn. In this
          time of sorrow, please accept my sincere condolences.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

My heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by the tragic loss of Sharyn. In this
            time of sorrow, please accept my sincere condolences.

Frank from Australia

MaryD
            Participant

How very sad and my heart goes out to Sharyn's family during this difficult time.  Sharyn fought such a brave battle and she is now at peace and smiling down on those who love her dearly ..

Mary

MaryD
              Participant

How very sad and my heart goes out to Sharyn's family during this difficult time.  Sharyn fought such a brave battle and she is now at peace and smiling down on those who love her dearly ..

Mary

James from Sydney
                Participant

I never met Sharyn in person but so many times she held out her hand to support me when our son was struggling, she was a very special human being. My condolences to her Family.

James

James from Sydney
                  Participant

I never met Sharyn in person but so many times she held out her hand to support me when our son was struggling, she was a very special human being. My condolences to her Family.

James

Lori C
                    Participant

My sympathies to all who loved Sharyn.  There are times when the toll this disease takes starts to get overwhelming.  It feels like a true war. 

Lori

Lori C
                      Participant

My sympathies to all who loved Sharyn.  There are times when the toll this disease takes starts to get overwhelming.  It feels like a true war. 

Lori

MichaelFL
                        Participant

My condolences to her husband, children and family. Another great warrior is free. She will be missed here.

Michael

MichaelFL
                          Participant

My condolences to her husband, children and family. Another great warrior is free. She will be missed here.

Michael

Bonnie Lea
                            Participant

Oh wow.  I want to thank Jim and the family for keeping us informed.  Sharyn was indeed a great friend and comfort to us all.  When she and Annette visited me, after my mastectomy, It cheered me us.

We all had a lovely dinner close to where Annette lives, and they met my daughter (who drove me)

I will miss knowing she is close by.  And keeping my daughter in line regarding "Moose"  God bless your family Sharyn.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lea
                              Participant

Oh wow.  I want to thank Jim and the family for keeping us informed.  Sharyn was indeed a great friend and comfort to us all.  When she and Annette visited me, after my mastectomy, It cheered me us.

We all had a lovely dinner close to where Annette lives, and they met my daughter (who drove me)

I will miss knowing she is close by.  And keeping my daughter in line regarding "Moose"  God bless your family Sharyn.

Bonnie

lhaley
                                Participant

Sharyn helped so many on this board, she was a true inspiration and such a fighter. Even while going through all of this for the last few years she continued to enjoy life and her family.

Sympathies to Sharyn's family. You have been wonderful caretakers.

Linda

lhaley
                                  Participant

Sharyn helped so many on this board, she was a true inspiration and such a fighter. Even while going through all of this for the last few years she continued to enjoy life and her family.

Sympathies to Sharyn's family. You have been wonderful caretakers.

Linda

dian in spokane
                                    Participant

Sharyn and I became friends in chat, as I have become friends with so many others at this site. I remember the very night we 'met' there and both got on our mapquests to find out just how far we were from each other in the physical world.

Like others, I was on Sharyn's email list. Sharyn has generously shared her journey with all of us, sending out periodic letters for so long, with details of all of her treatments. So I was also on that list that got the mews of Sharyn's death last night.

She was a fighter to the very end.

dian

dian in spokane
                                      Participant

Sharyn and I became friends in chat, as I have become friends with so many others at this site. I remember the very night we 'met' there and both got on our mapquests to find out just how far we were from each other in the physical world.

Like others, I was on Sharyn's email list. Sharyn has generously shared her journey with all of us, sending out periodic letters for so long, with details of all of her treatments. So I was also on that list that got the mews of Sharyn's death last night.

She was a fighter to the very end.

dian

shellebrownies
                                        Participant

So many sad passings lately. Blessings to all of Sharyn's family; I pray for peace and healing for them all. 

Michelle, wife of Don, Stage IV

boot2aboot
                                            Participant

to the family of Sharyn Power-Piercy i am saddened to hear the loss of your loved one…everyone here understands in ways most people wouldn't…

boots

boot2aboot
                                              Participant

to the family of Sharyn Power-Piercy i am saddened to hear the loss of your loved one…everyone here understands in ways most people wouldn't…

boots

shellebrownies
                                              Participant

So many sad passings lately. Blessings to all of Sharyn's family; I pray for peace and healing for them all. 

Michelle, wife of Don, Stage IV

Jim M.
                                                Participant

Sharyn was so kind and helpful. We exchanged posts in the past. It's hard to believe that she along with so many good people are not here. My sincerest condolences and prayers for strength, guidance and His peace.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                  Participant

Sharyn was so kind and helpful. We exchanged posts in the past. It's hard to believe that she along with so many good people are not here. My sincerest condolences and prayers for strength, guidance and His peace.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Carol Taylor
                                                    Participant

Sharyn was quite a warrior going by her profile! I, too, am saddened melanoma was such a vicious enemy. As she has fought the fight, my sympathy goes out to her family at this time and prayers for hope and healing of hearts.

Lord, in Your mercy, as You hold Sharyn close, hold her family and friends close through this season and somehow bring them comfort, hold their tears as they shed them, and redeem this tragedy. May they each feel Your presence and the power of prayers that are for them. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                                      Participant

Sharyn was quite a warrior going by her profile! I, too, am saddened melanoma was such a vicious enemy. As she has fought the fight, my sympathy goes out to her family at this time and prayers for hope and healing of hearts.

Lord, in Your mercy, as You hold Sharyn close, hold her family and friends close through this season and somehow bring them comfort, hold their tears as they shed them, and redeem this tragedy. May they each feel Your presence and the power of prayers that are for them. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

ValinMtl
                                                        Participant

I'm just devastated. Sharyn was a special friend and so supportive of others. She will always be treasured in my heart, we enjoyed seeing each other when we could in Montreal.  May God wrap his arms around your family and give them comfort, you will be missed and loved forever my dear friend.  Life is so hard sometimes, I can't stop crying, so I will sign off,  Val xx

2 Timothy, 4:7—I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.

ValinMtl
                                                          Participant

I'm just devastated. Sharyn was a special friend and so supportive of others. She will always be treasured in my heart, we enjoyed seeing each other when we could in Montreal.  May God wrap his arms around your family and give them comfort, you will be missed and loved forever my dear friend.  Life is so hard sometimes, I can't stop crying, so I will sign off,  Val xx

2 Timothy, 4:7—I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.

BarbieGirl
                                                            Participant

I, too, received the email about Sharyn.  This just breaks my heart.  She fought sooo hard to beat this beast back, and always was so positive, even when the news wasn't so good.  God's sure been needing a lot of really good angels lately. 

Please let her family know they are in my heart and prayers during this difficult time. 

~Lisa~ 

BarbieGirl
                                                              Participant

I, too, received the email about Sharyn.  This just breaks my heart.  She fought sooo hard to beat this beast back, and always was so positive, even when the news wasn't so good.  God's sure been needing a lot of really good angels lately. 

Please let her family know they are in my heart and prayers during this difficult time. 

~Lisa~ 

rickygreenwood
                                                                Participant

I Just wanted to say Thank You to all of you who either Insprired, Helped, Advised, Befriended, and Loved My Mom.

I can't even fathom the amount of time she spent on this site and the information shared here that helped her soo much, and possibly gave her so many more years than maybe she was supposed to have.

She is the bravest and most intelligent person I've ever known, and more than anything I am so Proud to see the impact she's had on so many people around the world in the same boat. knowing she has likely helped you also in the same way you have for her. 

I can't Thank you all enough for all of your kind words in response to Mom's passing.

She is my Inspiration

She is my Mother

She is my Hero

Love to you all

Ricky

ValinMtl
                                                                    Participant

Dear Ricky, I believe it was you and your sister I met at the Royal Victoria.  Your mom was and is a true inspiration for me.  She was an absolutely lovely lady and I know she was extremely proud of her family.  Thank you for writing these words of thanks…Sharyn will always be in my heart.  Love Val, xx

ValinMtl
                                                                      Participant

Dear Ricky, I believe it was you and your sister I met at the Royal Victoria.  Your mom was and is a true inspiration for me.  She was an absolutely lovely lady and I know she was extremely proud of her family.  Thank you for writing these words of thanks…Sharyn will always be in my heart.  Love Val, xx

Dear Ricky,

Please accept my condolences.  Your mother was a very special person and I know your loss is great.  You too are very special and kind to post here and I wish you the very best in coping with your sadness.

Dear Ricky,

Please accept my condolences.  Your mother was a very special person and I know your loss is great.  You too are very special and kind to post here and I wish you the very best in coping with your sadness.

dian in spokane
                                                                        Participant

Ricky,

I don't know if you will see this, but thank you so much for taking the time to respond to this thread.

Your mom, your hero, your inspiration, was also a hero and inspiration to many of us here.

We will miss her and her strong spirit so much.

My deepest condolences to your entire family.

Dian in spokane

dian in spokane
                                                                          Participant

Ricky,

I don't know if you will see this, but thank you so much for taking the time to respond to this thread.

Your mom, your hero, your inspiration, was also a hero and inspiration to many of us here.

We will miss her and her strong spirit so much.

My deepest condolences to your entire family.

Dian in spokane

rickygreenwood
                                                                          Participant

I Just wanted to say Thank You to all of you who either Insprired, Helped, Advised, Befriended, and Loved My Mom.

I can't even fathom the amount of time she spent on this site and the information shared here that helped her soo much, and possibly gave her so many more years than maybe she was supposed to have.

She is the bravest and most intelligent person I've ever known, and more than anything I am so Proud to see the impact she's had on so many people around the world in the same boat. knowing she has likely helped you also in the same way you have for her. 

I can't Thank you all enough for all of your kind words in response to Mom's passing.

She is my Inspiration

She is my Mother

She is my Hero

Love to you all

Ricky

davidpower
                                                                            Participant

Hello to all Sharyn Power – Piercy's MPIP family and friends,

My name is David Power, Sharyn's older brother. Ricky was kind enough to advise us of the link to this wonderful site. I respectfully ask, on behalf of the Power family, that you accept our heartfelt thanks to all of you for the expressions of love and sympathy that you have extended to us at this very sad yet bittersweet time. As all of you know, even those who have never met her personally, Sharyn loved life to the fullist and was one of the most generous and caring human beings one could ever know. She was a great educator, talented musician, dedicated wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister and friend and everyone she touched by her gentle and positive approach to life was thankful for her unselfish kindness. She was courageous in her will and determination to keep on living even when the cure and future was uncertain. Simply put, she was a tremendous person and the world will be a better place because of her. Hopefully her journey will give all of us hope for our futures and appreciate the time we have here "Heaven on Earth". Sharyn wrote a song on August 4, 2010 called "Heaven on Earth". It is a very beautiful and natural, just like Sharyn, song about the simple things that meant so much to her and the Chorus goes like this:

Well I can't go to Heaven, 'cause I'm already there.

How better than this can it be?

There's nowhere that I'd rather be than right here

With friends who are like family

This is Heaven on Earth to me  

All of you should know that Sharyn spoke many times to us about her "on-line" family and friends and please know that your love, kindness and friendship helped her get through some of the more challenging and darker moments she had while fighting her battles with cancer. You were her inspiration in ways that we as a family could not be. She thought the world of you as you were her teammates and providers/sharers of information and inspiration for the past 5 years and you should all be very proud of all the positive contributions you have made to Sharyn's life and our lives as well. God bless all of you for that and rest assured that all of you are in our thoughts and prayers as you face your daily challenges.

Sharyn requested that the Communion Hymn at the Celebration of her life be the song "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. It is such a beautiful and moving song that she loved and helped her get through the tough times. I am sure she thought of her family and friends when she played it. I hope it can give you the will and determination that it gave her. Please think of her, your loving friend, when you hear it.

Our  sincere thanks and kindest regards to all of you,

The Power family

davidpower
                                                                              Participant

Hello to all Sharyn Power – Piercy's MPIP family and friends,

My name is David Power, Sharyn's older brother. Ricky was kind enough to advise us of the link to this wonderful site. I respectfully ask, on behalf of the Power family, that you accept our heartfelt thanks to all of you for the expressions of love and sympathy that you have extended to us at this very sad yet bittersweet time. As all of you know, even those who have never met her personally, Sharyn loved life to the fullist and was one of the most generous and caring human beings one could ever know. She was a great educator, talented musician, dedicated wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister and friend and everyone she touched by her gentle and positive approach to life was thankful for her unselfish kindness. She was courageous in her will and determination to keep on living even when the cure and future was uncertain. Simply put, she was a tremendous person and the world will be a better place because of her. Hopefully her journey will give all of us hope for our futures and appreciate the time we have here "Heaven on Earth". Sharyn wrote a song on August 4, 2010 called "Heaven on Earth". It is a very beautiful and natural, just like Sharyn, song about the simple things that meant so much to her and the Chorus goes like this:

Well I can't go to Heaven, 'cause I'm already there.

How better than this can it be?

There's nowhere that I'd rather be than right here

With friends who are like family

This is Heaven on Earth to me  

All of you should know that Sharyn spoke many times to us about her "on-line" family and friends and please know that your love, kindness and friendship helped her get through some of the more challenging and darker moments she had while fighting her battles with cancer. You were her inspiration in ways that we as a family could not be. She thought the world of you as you were her teammates and providers/sharers of information and inspiration for the past 5 years and you should all be very proud of all the positive contributions you have made to Sharyn's life and our lives as well. God bless all of you for that and rest assured that all of you are in our thoughts and prayers as you face your daily challenges.

Sharyn requested that the Communion Hymn at the Celebration of her life be the song "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. It is such a beautiful and moving song that she loved and helped her get through the tough times. I am sure she thought of her family and friends when she played it. I hope it can give you the will and determination that it gave her. Please think of her, your loving friend, when you hear it.

Our  sincere thanks and kindest regards to all of you,

The Power family

Viewing 31 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics