The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Selenium and melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Selenium and melanoma

Participant

Just wondering what your thoughts are about taking "Selenium" to help boost your immune system?

It seems that since this "beast" called melanoma came into my life, my full time job is now to find a cure for it!  🙁

My research shows that melanoma patients need to take Selenium, if so how much a day?

What are your thoughts?

Best wishes,

Gene

Just wondering what your thoughts are about taking "Selenium" to help boost your immune system?

It seems that since this "beast" called melanoma came into my life, my full time job is now to find a cure for it!  🙁

My research shows that melanoma patients need to take Selenium, if so how much a day?

What are your thoughts?

Best wishes,

Gene

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

I would not go above is 200 mcg a day. Try some:

Food Micrograms
          (μg)
          Percent
          DV*
          Brazil nuts, dried, unblanched, 1 ounce 544 780
          Tuna, light, canned in oil, drained, 3 ounces 63 95
          Beef, cooked, 3½ ounces 35 50
          Spaghetti w/ meat sauce, frozen entrée, 1 serving 34 50
          Cod, cooked, 3 ounces 32 45
          Turkey, light meat, roasted, 3½ ounces 32 45
          Beef chuck roast, lean only, roasted, 3 ounces 23 35
          Chicken Breast, meat only, roasted, 3½ ounces 20 30
          Noodles, enriched, boiled, 1/2 cup 17 25
          Macaroni, elbow, enriched, boiled, 1/2 cup 15 20
          Egg, whole, 1 medium 14 20
          Cottage cheese, low fat 2%, 1/2 cup 12 15
          Oatmeal, instant, fortified, cooked, 1 cup 12 15
          Rice, white, enriched, long grain, cooked, 1/2 cup 12 15
          Rice, brown, long-grained, cooked, 1/2 cup 10 15
          Bread, whole wheat, commercially prepared, 1 slice 10 15
          Walnuts, black, dried, 1 ounce 5 8
          Bread, white, commercially prepared, 1 slice 4 6
          Cheddar cheese, 1 ounce 4 6
            MichaelFL
            Participant

Maybe this will work better

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium/

Lisa13
              Participant

Hi Gene,

I sought treatment with a holistic naturopath shortly after I was diagnosed earlier this year. The main supplements you should be taking that are both immune boosting and melanoma fighting are Melatonin, Curcumin, Omega 3 and Green Tea Extract. I also take high levels of Vitamin C (2000mg), Vitamin D (3000 IUs), Inositol/IP6 and a green drink with algae, etc.  Most of these boost your immune system, but both melatonin and curcumin have proven in lab studies to kill melanoma cells.

If you're going to fight this thing, I'd go all in with both modern medicine and holistic.

• I havn't been perscribed selenium, but I found a little blurb about it:
              •  
              • "Take 150 micrograms of selenium daily, preferably in the form of selenomethionine. Laboratory studies show that selenium reduces the spread of melanoma cells".  
              •  
              • Lisa 

Lisa13
          Participant

Hi Gene,

I sought treatment with a holistic naturopath shortly after I was diagnosed earlier this year. The main supplements you should be taking that are both immune boosting and melanoma fighting are Melatonin, Curcumin, Omega 3 and Green Tea Extract. I also take high levels of Vitamin C (2000mg), Vitamin D (3000 IUs), Inositol/IP6 and a green drink with algae, etc.  Most of these boost your immune system, but both melatonin and curcumin have proven in lab studies to kill melanoma cells.

If you're going to fight this thing, I'd go all in with both modern medicine and holistic.

• I havn't been perscribed selenium, but I found a little blurb about it:
          •  
          • "Take 150 micrograms of selenium daily, preferably in the form of selenomethionine. Laboratory studies show that selenium reduces the spread of melanoma cells".  
          •  
          • Lisa 

MichaelFL
            Participant

Maybe this will work better

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium/

MichaelFL
              Participant

I would not go above is 200 mcg a day. Try some:

Food Micrograms
                (μg)
                Percent
                DV*
                Brazil nuts, dried, unblanched, 1 ounce 544 780
                Tuna, light, canned in oil, drained, 3 ounces 63 95
                Beef, cooked, 3½ ounces 35 50
                Spaghetti w/ meat sauce, frozen entrée, 1 serving 34 50
                Cod, cooked, 3 ounces 32 45
                Turkey, light meat, roasted, 3½ ounces 32 45
                Beef chuck roast, lean only, roasted, 3 ounces 23 35
                Chicken Breast, meat only, roasted, 3½ ounces 20 30
                Noodles, enriched, boiled, 1/2 cup 17 25
                Macaroni, elbow, enriched, boiled, 1/2 cup 15 20
                Egg, whole, 1 medium 14 20
                Cottage cheese, low fat 2%, 1/2 cup 12 15
                Oatmeal, instant, fortified, cooked, 1 cup 12 15
                Rice, white, enriched, long grain, cooked, 1/2 cup 12 15
                Rice, brown, long-grained, cooked, 1/2 cup 10 15
                Bread, whole wheat, commercially prepared, 1 slice 10 15
                Walnuts, black, dried, 1 ounce 5 8
                Bread, white, commercially prepared, 1 slice 4 6
                Cheddar cheese, 1 ounce 4 6
                lhaley
                Participant

Gene,

I saw on your profile that you are on an ipi/gmcsf trial and are having success. That is great! Please be careful of taking supplements while doing treatments. You could end up doing yourself more harm then good. Clear eveything through your medical team.

lhaley
                  Participant

Gene,

I saw on your profile that you are on an ipi/gmcsf trial and are having success. That is great! Please be careful of taking supplements while doing treatments. You could end up doing yourself more harm then good. Clear eveything through your medical team.

Melanoma Mom
                    Participant

Gene, I have an article I can send you re: vitamins and melanoma. Just send me your Email info to: [email protected]

Lila's list is very good. I would add Panax Ginseng to it.

Anyone have suggestions on how much green tea extract to take per day?

Melanoma Mom
                      Participant

Gene, I have an article I can send you re: vitamins and melanoma. Just send me your Email info to: [email protected]

Lila's list is very good. I would add Panax Ginseng to it.

Anyone have suggestions on how much green tea extract to take per day?

Jim M.
                        Participant

I eat 3 brazil nuts a day with supper. That's all you need daily and of course brazil nuts are the best natural source of selenium.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                          Participant

I eat 3 brazil nuts a day with supper. That's all you need daily and of course brazil nuts are the best natural source of selenium.

God Bless,

Jim M.

• Viewing 7 reply threads
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics