The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sad news Linda Haley

Forums General Melanoma Community Sad news Linda Haley

Participant
      I just ran across this. Linda, you were such an inspiration. You will be missed. Praying for peace for your family at this time.

Amy

LINDA P. HALEY
      July 9, 1953 – January 18, 2013
      ANDERSON – Linda Lee Protas Haley, age 59, of 710 Timberlake Road, Anderson, SC, passed away on Friday, January 18, 2013 at the Rainey Hospice House.
      Born in Chester, PA, she was the daughter of the late Hillman Protas and the late Judith Barbour Protas. She received a Master’s Degree in Education and retired as a public school teacher. She was an avid quilter being a member of the Prickly Fingers Quilters Guild. Linda was active with many online melanoma support groups and locally with the AnMed Cancer Support Group, “Surviving The Journey”.
      She is survived by her loving husband of 37 years, Merritt Samuel “Sam” Haley; one son, Brandon P. Haley and his wife Racheal of Birmingham, AL; a brother, Russell Protas of Delaware; one granddaughter, Savannah “Punkin” Haley; and a number of nieces and nephews.
      The family will be at the residence and will receive friends at The McDougald Funeral Home on Sunday, January 20, 2013, from 2:00 pm until 3:00 pm. The funeral service will follow in the Chapel of the funeral home at 3:30 pm with Dr. Peter A. Cohen and Reverend Dwight Greene officiating.
      In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Melanoma Research Foundation, PO Box 759329, Baltimore, MD 21275.
      A message of condolence may be sent by visiting http://www.mcdougaldfuneralhome.com
      THE MC DOUGALD FUNERAL HOME and CREMATION SERVICES, Anderson, SC

Viewing 53 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Oh, such sad news! I will always think of Linda as someone who really made the most of her life. A loving wife, a wonderful mother, a kind and caring friend, and a real inspiration for the power of positive thinking during her long and successful battle with melanoma. I can only hope that when my time comes, I can leave a legacy half as wonderful as hers. Godspeed, Linda! We will miss you always. 

POW
          Participant

Oh, such sad news! I will always think of Linda as someone who really made the most of her life. A loving wife, a wonderful mother, a kind and caring friend, and a real inspiration for the power of positive thinking during her long and successful battle with melanoma. I can only hope that when my time comes, I can leave a legacy half as wonderful as hers. Godspeed, Linda! We will miss you always. 

POW
            Participant

aldakota22
              Participant

Really upseting to read such horrible news.RIP .Know she fought till the end.Hate these posts.Beat the Beat.  Al

aldakota22
                Participant

Really upseting to read such horrible news.RIP .Know she fought till the end.Hate these posts.Beat the Beat.  Al

aldakota22
                  Participant

Tina D
                    Participant

I hate this. I am so saddened for her husband and family. She fought a good fight. Prayers for her family and loved ones. Thank you for letting us know.

Tina

Tina D
                      Participant

I hate this. I am so saddened for her husband and family. She fought a good fight. Prayers for her family and loved ones. Thank you for letting us know.

Tina

Tina D
                        Participant

Tina

bcl
                          Participant

Written 20 hours ago by Brandon Haley

While mom put up an amazing fight against melanoma, she lost her battle today. She passed this morning without pain. While I will always remember her for her unquestioning love, and steady approach to life, her little punkin savannah will remember her for being an amazing grandmother. I have never seen a child's eyes light up like savannah's when she saw mom-mom. Those two were the best of friends. I guess we all thought that there would be many more years to come. 

Over the past week I have learned about another side of my mom. She was a beacon of hope to many people fighting melanoma. To anyone reading this, if you are in that fight, don't give up. Never give up. She fought this beast for over 30 years and proved that the fight can be won. If she had not fought this hard, neither myself or my daughter would be here. She would want people to continue the fight for her and I cannot thank her enough for it.

If Linda had helped you through your fight, please email me at [email protected] . I am trying to get her stories together to write something that could benefit others fighting melanoma. Mom deserves a perpetual legacy, and this seems fitting. 

The viewing for mom will be at McDougald Funeral Home, 2211 north Main Street, Anderson SC, 29621 on Sunday from 2 to 3. There will be a service at 330, people are welcome to come to the house after.

My dad has asked that in lieu of flowers, please send donations to the Melanoma research foundation, po box 759329, Baltimore, md 21275.

We thank you all for the friendship and support you showed mom over the years. She will be missed by many, and always loved by all of us.

bcl
                            Participant

While mom put up an amazing fight against melanoma, she lost her battle today. She passed this morning without pain. While I will always remember her for her unquestioning love, and steady approach to life, her little punkin savannah will remember her for being an amazing grandmother. I have never seen a child's eyes light up like savannah's when she saw mom-mom. Those two were the best of friends. I guess we all thought that there would be many more years to come. 

Over the past week I have learned about another side of my mom. She was a beacon of hope to many people fighting melanoma. To anyone reading this, if you are in that fight, don't give up. Never give up. She fought this beast for over 30 years and proved that the fight can be won. If she had not fought this hard, neither myself or my daughter would be here. She would want people to continue the fight for her and I cannot thank her enough for it.

If Linda had helped you through your fight, please email me at [email protected] . I am trying to get her stories together to write something that could benefit others fighting melanoma. Mom deserves a perpetual legacy, and this seems fitting. 

The viewing for mom will be at McDougald Funeral Home, 2211 north Main Street, Anderson SC, 29621 on Sunday from 2 to 3. There will be a service at 330, people are welcome to come to the house after.

My dad has asked that in lieu of flowers, please send donations to the Melanoma research foundation, po box 759329, Baltimore, md 21275.

We thank you all for the friendship and support you showed mom over the years. She will be missed by many, and always loved by all of us.

DeniseK
                                Participant
                                  My heart goes out to you and your family Brandon. She touched so many of us with her determination in her fight. Melanoma didn’t beat her! I feel lucky to have been able to share our experiences in our battle. She was and will continue to be my inspiration! She will live on in our memories.
                                  All my love,
                                  Denise
                                  DeniseK
                                  Participant
                                    My heart goes out to you and your family Brandon. She touched so many of us with her determination in her fight. Melanoma didn’t beat her! I feel lucky to have been able to share our experiences in our battle. She was and will continue to be my inspiration! She will live on in our memories.
                                    All my love,
                                    Denise
                                    DeniseK
                                    Participant
                                      All my love,
                                      Denise
                                    bcl
                                    Participant

Fen
                                      Participant

Oh Linda, you will be missed. An amazing, generous, person. Fen

vivian
                                          Participant

What a gift Linda was to all of us here!  Her endlessly generous spirit will live on, but gosh will I miss knowing that she was just a post away, always ready to reassure and advise.  May the light of peace and love surround her family now.

Lear

vivian
                                            Participant

What a gift Linda was to all of us here!  Her endlessly generous spirit will live on, but gosh will I miss knowing that she was just a post away, always ready to reassure and advise.  May the light of peace and love surround her family now.

Lear

vivian
                                              Participant

Lear

Fen
                                              Participant

Fen
                                                Participant

gabsound
                                                  Participant
                                                    I’m so sorry to hear of Lindas passing. She was a tremendous person and gave so generously on this board. She will be missed. Peace to her family and friends during this time.

Julie

gabsound
                                                    Participant
                                                      I’m so sorry to hear of Lindas passing. She was a tremendous person and gave so generously on this board. She will be missed. Peace to her family and friends during this time.

Julie

gabsound
                                                      Participant

Julie

NYKaren
                                                          Participant
                                                            Farewell my friend. You fought the good fight and helped us all. I pray you rest in peace.
                                                            With sadness and love,
                                                            Karen
                                                            NYKaren
                                                            Participant
                                                              Farewell my friend. You fought the good fight and helped us all. I pray you rest in peace.
                                                              With sadness and love,
                                                              Karen
                                                              NYKaren
                                                              Participant
                                                                With sadness and love,
                                                                Karen
                                                              jcmp
                                                              Participant

She was unbelievable and so inspirational.  My condolences to her family.

jcmp
                                                                Participant

deardad
                                                                    Participant

To Brandon and the family, my condolences. I'm so sad to hear Linda has passed away. Linda was a wonderful support for me when my father was fighting.

Love Nahmi

deardad
                                                                      Participant

To Brandon and the family, my condolences. I'm so sad to hear Linda has passed away. Linda was a wonderful support for me when my father was fighting.

Love Nahmi

deardad
                                                                        Participant

Love Nahmi

jcmp
                                                                        Participant

Linny
                                                                          Participant

I am so sorry to hear this. Linda, you fought a good hard battle. Now it's time to rest in God's arms. You were always a voice of reason here and you will be missed so very much.

Linny
                                                                            Participant

I am so sorry to hear this. Linda, you fought a good hard battle. Now it's time to rest in God's arms. You were always a voice of reason here and you will be missed so very much.

Linny
                                                                              Participant

kylez
                                                                                Participant

may you find rest now, R.I.P. Linda.

kylez
                                                                                  Participant

kylez
                                                                                    Participant

CarolA
                                                                                      Participant

My deepest sympathy to Linda's family and friends.   I feel so blessed to have been touched by her generousity and kindess (and look at how that is reflected in her son, Brandon's, posts to us)    As everyone has said, she was rock solid here, offering her support and guidance.   She will be missed and she will be remembered.

CarolA 

CarolA
                                                                                        Participant

My deepest sympathy to Linda's family and friends.   I feel so blessed to have been touched by her generousity and kindess (and look at how that is reflected in her son, Brandon's, posts to us)    As everyone has said, she was rock solid here, offering her support and guidance.   She will be missed and she will be remembered.

CarolA 

CarolA
                                                                                          Participant

CarolA 

scots
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              My prayers are with Linda’s family.

Scot

scots
                                                                                              Participant

Scot

scots
                                                                                                Participant

Scot

jag
                                                                                                  Participant

Linda, 

I will miss you.

God Bless

John

jag
                                                                                                    Participant

Linda, 

I will miss you.

God Bless

John

jag
                                                                                                      Participant

Linda, 

I will miss you.

God Bless

John

MikeWI
                                                                                                        Participant

So sorry to hear this.  Linda was nice and knew a lot about our disease.  I hope she rests in peace and will say a pray for her.

MikeWI

Stage 2c currently NED

MikeWI
                                                                                                          Participant

So sorry to hear this.  Linda was nice and knew a lot about our disease.  I hope she rests in peace and will say a pray for her.

MikeWI

Stage 2c currently NED

MikeWI
                                                                                                            Participant

MikeWI

Stage 2c currently NED

triciad
                                                                                                              Participant

My heart is broken.  Linda has been a true warrior over the years.  She's fought her own battle…and ours, too.  I remember her responding to posts when she was so sick herself…but that was Linda.  She opened her heart to everyone, and our battles became her battles.  She battled this beast with courage, optimism, and love.  Linda, you will be missed by all.  My condolences to Brandon and her family.  RIP dearest Linda!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                                                                Participant

My heart is broken.  Linda has been a true warrior over the years.  She's fought her own battle…and ours, too.  I remember her responding to posts when she was so sick herself…but that was Linda.  She opened her heart to everyone, and our battles became her battles.  She battled this beast with courage, optimism, and love.  Linda, you will be missed by all.  My condolences to Brandon and her family.  RIP dearest Linda!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                                                                  Participant

Tricia

Julie in SoCal
                                                                                                                    Participant

Oh Linda, you will be missed by many.

Praying that LInda's family will find true peace in the midst of this sadness.

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                                                                                                                      Participant

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                                                                                                                        Participant

Julie

kbc123
                                                                                                                          Participant

Linda Haley was one of the first people that "talked me out of the tree" so to speak when I was first diagnosed.  Her kind words, wisdom, knowledge of this wretched disease, was so helpful to me in my time of need.  I know I dont go on here much, however I am on the website keeping up on things.    I am very saddened by this news. 

She was such an inspiration !  Her family should be so proud of her with her fight and drive through this journey, onto her new Journey ! God Bless you Linda and your family

Kathy from New Jersey 3a – Jan 2011

kbc123
                                                                                                                            Participant

Linda Haley was one of the first people that "talked me out of the tree" so to speak when I was first diagnosed.  Her kind words, wisdom, knowledge of this wretched disease, was so helpful to me in my time of need.  I know I dont go on here much, however I am on the website keeping up on things.    I am very saddened by this news. 

She was such an inspiration !  Her family should be so proud of her with her fight and drive through this journey, onto her new Journey ! God Bless you Linda and your family

kbc123
                                                                                                                              Participant

kbc123
                                                                                                                                Participant

kbc123
                                                                                                                                  Participant

kbc123
                                                                                                                                    Participant

King
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Sad news, indeed.  I never met Linda in person but like so many on this board, I feel like I really knew her.  She was always so helpful to others.  She was an amazing warrior….one battle after another.  I know her granddaughter was so special to her.  Big sigh…  I'm just so sorry and pray for peace and comfort for Linda's family and friends.  May she rest in peace.

We will always miss you, Linda, and never forget you.

Stay Strong
                                                                                                                                        King

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

King
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Sad news, indeed.  I never met Linda in person but like so many on this board, I feel like I really knew her.  She was always so helpful to others.  She was an amazing warrior….one battle after another.  I know her granddaughter was so special to her.  Big sigh…  I'm just so sorry and pray for peace and comfort for Linda's family and friends.  May she rest in peace.

Stay Strong
                                                                                                                                          King

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                            Participant

30 Years !!!   Talk about a TRUE WARRIOR !   What an inspiration to all of us, Linda !   It brings us comfort to know she passed away in peace and without pain.   May God hold all of you in the palm of HIS Hand in the days, weeks, months, and years to come as you mourn her –  and will always miss her.    

BLESSINGS AND DEEPEST SYMPATHY 

Nancy (devoted wife of Warrior Wayne) 

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                              Participant

30 Years !!!   Talk about a TRUE WARRIOR !   What an inspiration to all of us, Linda !   It brings us comfort to know she passed away in peace and without pain.   May God hold all of you in the palm of HIS Hand in the days, weeks, months, and years to come as you mourn her –  and will always miss her.    

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                                Participant

King
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Stay Strong
                                                                                                                                                  King

Viewing 53 reply threads
                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics