The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rest in Peace Dirk!

Forums General Melanoma Community Rest in Peace Dirk!

Participant

Hi everyone, 

I am struggling to find the words to tell you that Dirk's battle with this horrible cancer is now over.  He passed away in the early morning hours yesterday, 3/3/12.  He was a wonderful husband and father. He was such a good man.  He maintained his sense of humor through every treatment, but at the end, he was just so tired. I  know he is mountain biking up in heaven, but those of us he left behind are very sad.  We have had 25 wonderful years together and I will miss him!

Hi everyone, 

I am struggling to find the words to tell you that Dirk's battle with this horrible cancer is now over.  He passed away in the early morning hours yesterday, 3/3/12.  He was a wonderful husband and father. He was such a good man.  He maintained his sense of humor through every treatment, but at the end, he was just so tired. I  know he is mountain biking up in heaven, but those of us he left behind are very sad.  We have had 25 wonderful years together and I will miss him!

Thank you all for your advice and support during this journey.

Jan and Stephanie, loving wife and daughter

Viewing 53 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Dear Jan and Stephanie,

I am so sorry to hear about Dirk.  He was a warrior and fought so hard.  You were such a loving caregiver and gave so much in this horrible fight. 

We are sending our deepest sympathy to you and the family at this time.

Judy and Gene

Gene_S
          Participant

Dear Jan and Stephanie,

I am so sorry to hear about Dirk.  He was a warrior and fought so hard.  You were such a loving caregiver and gave so much in this horrible fight. 

Judy and Gene

Gene_S
            Participant

Dear Jan and Stephanie,

Judy and Gene

hope4cure1
              Participant

Jan and Stephanie,

I just wish I could hug you both.  You have been such wonderful support for Dirk, and that is such a testament to your strength, determination and courage.  I hope these qualities help you as you grieve your great loss. I hold you in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Much love,

Hope

hope4cure1
                Participant

Jan and Stephanie,

I just wish I could hug you both.  You have been such wonderful support for Dirk, and that is such a testament to your strength, determination and courage.  I hope these qualities help you as you grieve your great loss. I hold you in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Much love,

Hope

hope4cure1
                  Participant

Jan and Stephanie,

Much love,

Hope

WendyPam
                    Participant

All of my love and condolences to you and your daughter.  I'm happy for you that you had 25 wonderful years together. I too am a caregiver to my Mom and have always admired your strength and dedication to your husband, thank you Jan!

Warm regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                      Participant

All of my love and condolences to you and your daughter.  I'm happy for you that you had 25 wonderful years together. I too am a caregiver to my Mom and have always admired your strength and dedication to your husband, thank you Jan!

Warm regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                        Participant

Warm regards,

Wendy

washoegal
                          Participant

Jan and Stephanie,

My heart breaks for you.  You and Dirk gave up so much to battle this disease but now Dirk has found peace.  I pray that you also find peace.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                            Participant

Jan and Stephanie,

My heart breaks for you.  You and Dirk gave up so much to battle this disease but now Dirk has found peace.  I pray that you also find peace.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                              Participant

Jan and Stephanie,

Mary

Stage 3

MaryD
                                Participant

Dear Jan and Stephanie,

I am so sorry that you have to endure this sad loss but hope that you find comfort in knowing that Dirk couldn't have had more wonderful loving support during his journey.   He will be guiding you through this sad time from heaven and remaining in your hearts always.

Love and prayers,

Mary

MaryD
                                  Participant

Dear Jan and Stephanie,

I am so sorry that you have to endure this sad loss but hope that you find comfort in knowing that Dirk couldn't have had more wonderful loving support during his journey.   He will be guiding you through this sad time from heaven and remaining in your hearts always.

Love and prayers,

Mary

MaryD
                                    Participant

Dear Jan and Stephanie,

Love and prayers,

Mary

scots
                                      Participant
                                        I’m sorry to hear about Dirk. You and your family will be in my prayers. Rest in peace Dirk.

Scot

scots
                                        Participant
                                          I’m sorry to hear about Dirk. You and your family will be in my prayers. Rest in peace Dirk.

Scot

scots
                                          Participant

Scot

Linny
                                            Participant

I am so sorry to hear of Dirk's passing. May the good Lord give you all the strength to get you through these difficult times.

Linda

Linny
                                              Participant

I am so sorry to hear of Dirk's passing. May the good Lord give you all the strength to get you through these difficult times.

Linda

Linny
                                                Participant

Linda

Fen
                                                  Participant

Deepest sympathy to both of you, Jan.  You were truely blessed to have known such a wonderful man.  Feb

Fen
                                                    Participant

Deepest sympathy to both of you, Jan.  You were truely blessed to have known such a wonderful man.  Feb

Fen
                                                      Participant

Jewel
                                                        Participant

I have always admired you both for your determination and your wit. I truly was in awe of your strength.

My Thoughts and Prayers are with you and your daughter.

Hope he is enjoying the mountain biking:-)

God Bless

Jewel
                                                          Participant

I have always admired you both for your determination and your wit. I truly was in awe of your strength.

God Bless

Jewel
                                                            Participant

God Bless

Phil S
                                                              Participant
                                                                Jan, You are amazing, I remember when you posted about your move to Texas, and I thought she is one hell of a woman taking on relocating, meeting new doctors, trying a different treatment plan, and appearing hopeful, upbeat, and cheerful for Dirk. He sounds like a wonderful man, and I hope you get peace knowing he is in a better place! You are an inspiration to me! God bless you and your daughter, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                Phil S
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Jan, You are amazing, I remember when you posted about your move to Texas, and I thought she is one hell of a woman taking on relocating, meeting new doctors, trying a different treatment plan, and appearing hopeful, upbeat, and cheerful for Dirk. He sounds like a wonderful man, and I hope you get peace knowing he is in a better place! You are an inspiration to me! God bless you and your daughter, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                  Phil S
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    BethA in VA
                                                                    Participant

I am so sorry for your loss.  He was lucky to have such wonderful caregivers and a family that loved him.  My prayers are with you and your family.  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
                                                                      Participant

I am so sorry for your loss.  He was lucky to have such wonderful caregivers and a family that loved him.  My prayers are with you and your family.  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
                                                                        Participant

King
                                                                          Participant

Jan,

I offer my sincere sympathy to you and your family.  You were right by Dirk's side every step of the way.  In time, hopefully many happy memories will replace the sad ones that you are probably experiencing now.

Stay Strong
                                                                            King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

King
                                                                            Participant

Jan,

I offer my sincere sympathy to you and your family.  You were right by Dirk's side every step of the way.  In time, hopefully many happy memories will replace the sad ones that you are probably experiencing now.

Stay Strong
                                                                              King

King
                                                                              Participant

Jan,

Stay Strong
                                                                                King

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                Participant

Jan and Stephanie, please accept my sincere condolences. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                  Participant

Jan and Stephanie, please accept my sincere condolences. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                    Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

deardad
                                                                                        Participant

Im very sad to hear that Dirk has passed. I can only share my hope of a time when God will "wipe every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away". John 21:3-4.

My heart goes out to you both.

Nahmi

deardad
                                                                                          Participant

Im very sad to hear that Dirk has passed. I can only share my hope of a time when God will "wipe every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away". John 21:3-4.

Nahmi

deardad
                                                                                            Participant

Nahmi

Laurie from maine
                                                                                              Participant

I am so sorry.  You were both truly courageous and inspirational as you fought this battle together.  He was a true fighter and sounded like a wonderful man.  I hope you and your daughter are together during this sad time.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                                                                Participant

I am so sorry.  You were both truly courageous and inspirational as you fought this battle together.  He was a true fighter and sounded like a wonderful man.  I hope you and your daughter are together during this sad time.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                                                                  Participant

laurie from maine

davidfromsingapore
                                                                                                  Participant

Dear Jan and Stephanie

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  I know that you are going through a difficut time right now.  There are many people who care for you and want to help ease the pain.  Prayers and good thoughs abound.  

David 

davidfromsingapore
                                                                                                    Participant

Dear Jan and Stephanie

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  I know that you are going through a difficut time right now.  There are many people who care for you and want to help ease the pain.  Prayers and good thoughs abound.  

David 

davidfromsingapore
                                                                                                      Participant

Dear Jan and Stephanie

David 

MeNDave
                                                                                                        Participant

Jan,

I am so sorry to hear of Dirk's loss.  I wish I had words to help ease the pain.  You are such an inspiration to so many of us on this board.  I hope you and your daughter find some peace in the coming days.

Many, many hugs to you.

Maria

MeNDave
                                                                                                          Participant

Jan,

I am so sorry to hear of Dirk's loss.  I wish I had words to help ease the pain.  You are such an inspiration to so many of us on this board.  I hope you and your daughter find some peace in the coming days.

Many, many hugs to you.

Maria

MeNDave
                                                                                                            Participant

Jan,

Many, many hugs to you.

Maria

Kelli100299
                                                                                                              Participant

I am fairly new to the forum and didn't know Dirk as well as others, however, I do get the sense of how much he was loved and will be missed. So sorry and may the 25 years of happy memories carry you on.

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                                                                                Participant

I am fairly new to the forum and didn't know Dirk as well as others, however, I do get the sense of how much he was loved and will be missed. So sorry and may the 25 years of happy memories carry you on.

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                                                                                  Participant

Kelli

jim Breitfeller
                                                                                                                    Participant

Dirk was a fighter to the end. My deepest sympathy to you and the family ..

Jimmy b

boot2aboot
                                                                                                                        Participant

I am so sorry about this…i just don't know what else to say, but that everytime we lose someone on the board, i just….it's hard to take…it just is…

boots

boot2aboot
                                                                                                                          Participant

I am so sorry about this…i just don't know what else to say, but that everytime we lose someone on the board, i just….it's hard to take…it just is…

boots

boot2aboot
                                                                                                                            Participant

boots

jim Breitfeller
                                                                                                                            Participant

Jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
                                                                                                                              Participant

Jimmy b

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                Participant

Jan,  I am so sorry to hear of Dirks passing, but so happy that he had you at his side for this rough journey.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Jan,  I am so sorry to hear of Dirks passing, but so happy that he had you at his side for this rough journey.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Karin L
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Jan…Stephanie….my deepest sympathy and huge hugs.  Dirk was such a fighter and you both were an inspiration to others battling this wicked beast.  Godspeed.

Karin

Karin L
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Jan…Stephanie….my deepest sympathy and huge hugs.  Dirk was such a fighter and you both were an inspiration to others battling this wicked beast.  Godspeed.

Karin

Karin L
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Karin

Viewing 53 reply threads
                                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics