The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

rash – BRAF, ipi or combo?

Forums General Melanoma Community rash – BRAF, ipi or combo?

Participant

Hi y'all,

Still having a tremendous response to BRAF, now in my second week (after completing ipi on 7/29). My neck node, which was looking like an egg stuck to my neck, is now almost gone!

I have a rash, which looks & feels like goose bumps, on my chest/arms/legs. Not itchy.

Has anyone else who's done ipi had the "ipi itch" present this way? Or anyone who's done BRAF?

Hi y'all,

Still having a tremendous response to BRAF, now in my second week (after completing ipi on 7/29). My neck node, which was looking like an egg stuck to my neck, is now almost gone!

I have a rash, which looks & feels like goose bumps, on my chest/arms/legs. Not itchy.

Has anyone else who's done ipi had the "ipi itch" present this way? Or anyone who's done BRAF?

It is not at all bothersome, and I will happily live with bumpy arms and legs and be able to function again, over the weeks leading up to starting BRAF! (5 lung drains, 2 ER runs, admitted for 2 days, sent home with oxygen …)

I just want to encourage anyone, who is on ipi, or BRAF. There are many folks who are in such tragic situations here, and I pray for everyone who posts daily. There CAN be a good response (even if delayed).

Praying that everyone has a good day, and for those having a bad day (and we ALL have those), I pray you can find some comfort and coping.

TracyLee

Stage IV May 2011

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        dawn dion
        Participant

Hi Traci

Yes the rash is normal from both.    I had ipi rash for 5 months after stoping ipi.  When I talked to my doctors on the phone they tried to tell me otherwise unitl I walked in and showed them the rash.   About two months ago I had a rash similar to what you describe on the B-raf/Mek combo.  Never itched – I did end up getting a 102/103 fever after about 2 days of it.  They took me off the B-raf for 3 days and the rash and fevers went away.    As long as you don't get out of control fevers and it isn't itching – I would report it to your trial nurse – since they love to track all of that – otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.  It will eventually go away.   They had me take benadryl but it really didn't do anything for me.

dawn dion
          Participant

Hi Traci

Yes the rash is normal from both.    I had ipi rash for 5 months after stoping ipi.  When I talked to my doctors on the phone they tried to tell me otherwise unitl I walked in and showed them the rash.   About two months ago I had a rash similar to what you describe on the B-raf/Mek combo.  Never itched – I did end up getting a 102/103 fever after about 2 days of it.  They took me off the B-raf for 3 days and the rash and fevers went away.    As long as you don't get out of control fevers and it isn't itching – I would report it to your trial nurse – since they love to track all of that – otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.  It will eventually go away.   They had me take benadryl but it really didn't do anything for me.

Richard_K
            Participant

Traci

Glad to hear about your BRAF response, keep it up.  As to the rash, I have been on BRAF since March 2010 and I can offer some comparisons.  My rash was full body and most prominent on arms, thighs, and torso but not on face.  I did get a lot of little bumps cropping up coincident with the rash but not as dense.  From time to time they would be taken off and biopsy performed if they bothered me.

I still have some body rash but the bumps stopped several months ago.

Good Luck

TracyLee
                Participant

Dick,

I'm vain enough that I'm glad it's not on my face! Thanks for the info. You seem to be a long term BRAF responder?

TracyLee

TracyLee
                  Participant

Dick,

I'm vain enough that I'm glad it's not on my face! Thanks for the info. You seem to be a long term BRAF responder?

TracyLee

Richard_K
                    Participant

Yes I am still in the phase II study and have been since March 2010; not sure what status will be after FDA approval, but I think migrations will start moving to commercial terms.

At nine months my tumors (lung) had shrunk by about 95% and PET scans showed no active growth and continue that way almost 18 months later.  One other benign side effect you might experience is hair loss.  While I don't think I lost from my head, virtually all body hair came off.  My wife thought "it was cool" that I even lost my underarm hair.

I hope you only experience the simple side effects along with good results.

Richard_K
                      Participant

Yes I am still in the phase II study and have been since March 2010; not sure what status will be after FDA approval, but I think migrations will start moving to commercial terms.

At nine months my tumors (lung) had shrunk by about 95% and PET scans showed no active growth and continue that way almost 18 months later.  One other benign side effect you might experience is hair loss.  While I don't think I lost from my head, virtually all body hair came off.  My wife thought "it was cool" that I even lost my underarm hair.

I hope you only experience the simple side effects along with good results.

Richard_K
                      Participant

Traci

Glad to hear about your BRAF response, keep it up.  As to the rash, I have been on BRAF since March 2010 and I can offer some comparisons.  My rash was full body and most prominent on arms, thighs, and torso but not on face.  I did get a lot of little bumps cropping up coincident with the rash but not as dense.  From time to time they would be taken off and biopsy performed if they bothered me.

I still have some body rash but the bumps stopped several months ago.

Good Luck

gabsound
                        Participant

TracyLee,

I'm so happy for you! You were in such a state and It's obvious you are doing so much better!

That's great

Julie

gabsound
                          Participant

TracyLee,

I'm so happy for you! You were in such a state and It's obvious you are doing so much better!

That's great

Julie

boot2aboot
                            Participant

HI TRACY,

glad to hear of your success with zelboraf…i went to Moffitt to see Dr Weber about drug trials for braf and of course, that was the day zelboraf went on the market…so in two weeks i too will be on this drug…i am glad to see people discussing successes and side effects…i just hope it works for me too and side effects are minimal because i sure would like to go back to work.

boots

boot2aboot
                              Participant

HI TRACY,

glad to hear of your success with zelboraf…i went to Moffitt to see Dr Weber about drug trials for braf and of course, that was the day zelboraf went on the market…so in two weeks i too will be on this drug…i am glad to see people discussing successes and side effects…i just hope it works for me too and side effects are minimal because i sure would like to go back to work.

boots

Laurie from maine
                                Participant

hi,

I am on second week of BRAF and have just developed a goosebump type rash on my thighs that isnt itchy.  Also I STUPIDLY  over did it over weekend when we went camping and got blistered lips, and bad burn on hands and feet which I developed from the first afternoon when I  sat outside in shade too long I thought I was ok kept reapplying sunscreen over and over.   I had hoped I would escape without too much sun sensitivity, but oh well – I have learned my lesson.

The good news is the pain I was having on my left side from my lung maybe? is gone and the lump on my breast is completely gone so I am hopeful that means internally the tumors are being beaten up, so I can take the skin stuff no big deal.   

glad to know there are others on here so I can ask ques as we go thru it together.

laurie from maine  

Laurie from maine
                                  Participant

hi,

I am on second week of BRAF and have just developed a goosebump type rash on my thighs that isnt itchy.  Also I STUPIDLY  over did it over weekend when we went camping and got blistered lips, and bad burn on hands and feet which I developed from the first afternoon when I  sat outside in shade too long I thought I was ok kept reapplying sunscreen over and over.   I had hoped I would escape without too much sun sensitivity, but oh well – I have learned my lesson.

The good news is the pain I was having on my left side from my lung maybe? is gone and the lump on my breast is completely gone so I am hopeful that means internally the tumors are being beaten up, so I can take the skin stuff no big deal.   

glad to know there are others on here so I can ask ques as we go thru it together.

laurie from maine  

TracyLee
                                    Participant

Hi y'all,

Now the rash is pretty red/inflamed/ugly. Still not TOO itchy, but kind of getting there! 

I took Benadryl for tonight so I don't scratch in my sleep. Is there a topical ointment I could use to tame some of this redness/infammation? It really looks like psoriasis on my upper arms now, although my legs aren't too bad

I'll still take a rash over the state I was in 2 weeks ago! 

It is…what it is!

Blessings to all,

TracyLee

deardad
                                        Participant

That very encouraging news….I hope you continue to respond. My dad is starting BRAF in about 2 weeks and hoping he might also be a responder too. All the best x

boot2aboot
                                          Participant

would sarna lotion work?

boot2aboot
                                            Participant

would sarna lotion work?

deardad
                                              Participant

That very encouraging news….I hope you continue to respond. My dad is starting BRAF in about 2 weeks and hoping he might also be a responder too. All the best x

TracyLee
                                              Participant

Hi y'all,

Now the rash is pretty red/inflamed/ugly. Still not TOO itchy, but kind of getting there! 

I took Benadryl for tonight so I don't scratch in my sleep. Is there a topical ointment I could use to tame some of this redness/infammation? It really looks like psoriasis on my upper arms now, although my legs aren't too bad

I'll still take a rash over the state I was in 2 weeks ago! 

It is…what it is!

Blessings to all,

TracyLee

FormerCaregiver
                                                Participant

TracyLee, it is really great that you are responding so well to the BRAF inhibitor! I also want to encourage anyone reading this to believe that the treatment that they are having will work. Belief and faith can move mountains.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

kath17
                                                    Participant

Can anyone tell me how long their rash lasted? Did it subside? My husband started with BRAF 10 days ago and the rash started yesterday. We've done Benadryl to no avail. We have been given hydrocortisone creme to put on twice daily starting today. Blessedly it stops at his neck, but it is full body…with no itching. Does anyone have a suggestion or answer?

Many thanks,

Kath 

kath17
                                                      Participant

Can anyone tell me how long their rash lasted? Did it subside? My husband started with BRAF 10 days ago and the rash started yesterday. We've done Benadryl to no avail. We have been given hydrocortisone creme to put on twice daily starting today. Blessedly it stops at his neck, but it is full body…with no itching. Does anyone have a suggestion or answer?

Many thanks,

Kath 

kath17
                                                        Participant

Many thanks,

Kath 

FormerCaregiver
                                                        Participant

TracyLee, it is really great that you are responding so well to the BRAF inhibitor! I also want to encourage anyone reading this to believe that the treatment that they are having will work. Belief and faith can move mountains.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics