The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Quick SRS/brain/zelboraf update.

Forums General Melanoma Community Quick SRS/brain/zelboraf update.

Participant

Well the good news is, I saw my radiation oncologist and she informed me that there is nothing new showing in my brain besides the ones that were treated and the three that are going to be, I had another mask fitted while I was in and will be having one (hopefully last) session of SRS on Monday morning to finish these things off.

Well the good news is, I saw my radiation oncologist and she informed me that there is nothing new showing in my brain besides the ones that were treated and the three that are going to be, I had another mask fitted while I was in and will be having one (hopefully last) session of SRS on Monday morning to finish these things off. She told me that there is still swelling around some of the lesions, and that this is natural for the first few weeks after radiation, so unfortunately it's recommended that I stay on the steroid and anti-seizure meds for the time being, but taper off as soon as possible down the line.

I also saw my regular oncologist and he has officially put in the order for me to start Zelboraf, unfortunately with the time it takes to process the order, get authorization and handle other medical variables I don't understand but know are necessary, I won't be able to start it until 3/20. Three  weeks. :/ Oh this waiting is always the hardest part… But a plan is in order and maybe as the SRS does its thing, some preemptive thoughts of a possible hopeful outcome in the future will trigger genuine optimism and make this time pass quickly. A day at a time. That's my goal.. a day, a week, a month at a time… and then maybe one day I'll be 90 with quite a story to tell.

Thank you all for the ongoing encouragement and support.
      -Kevin

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Kevin,

I'm glad to see that they are already getting you ready for the next blast of radiation.  I know you don't want to wait the 3 weeks for the Zelboraf but it will give your brain time to rest.  

While I have hated the steroids after 5 months I am finally weaned. Friday is actually the last day. I sure hope you don't have to have the steroids near this long, you do want to get rid of the swelling.  Once my swelling seemed to just stay there they performed a crainectomy instead 3 weeks ago and now all swelling is gone!

Good luck on Monday!

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Kevin,

I'm glad to see that they are already getting you ready for the next blast of radiation.  I know you don't want to wait the 3 weeks for the Zelboraf but it will give your brain time to rest.  

While I have hated the steroids after 5 months I am finally weaned. Friday is actually the last day. I sure hope you don't have to have the steroids near this long, you do want to get rid of the swelling.  Once my swelling seemed to just stay there they performed a crainectomy instead 3 weeks ago and now all swelling is gone!

Good luck on Monday!

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Kevin,

Good luck on Monday!

Linda

aldakota22
              Participant

Happy you got positive news.The waiting is hard but once on the drug will see it working really, really fast My prayers out to you.Yoa are an inspiration to so many of us on this site.    Al

aldakota22
                Participant

Happy you got positive news.The waiting is hard but once on the drug will see it working really, really fast My prayers out to you.Yoa are an inspiration to so many of us on this site.    Al

aldakota22
                  Participant

hope4cure1
                    Participant

Kevin, I hope you know that everyone on here is rooting for you!  I hope you have fantastic results with Zelboraf.  You deserve a break!

Hope

hope4cure1
                      Participant

Kevin, I hope you know that everyone on here is rooting for you!  I hope you have fantastic results with Zelboraf.  You deserve a break!

Hope

hope4cure1
                        Participant

Hope

scots
                          Participant
                            Waiting is the worst. Keep the positive attitude and we are praying for you.

Scot

scots
                            Participant

Scot

scots
                              Participant

Scot

Fen
                                Participant

Three weeks may not be a lot in the whole scheme of things, but waiting is a bear!  Praying like hell for you. fen

Fen
                                  Participant

Three weeks may not be a lot in the whole scheme of things, but waiting is a bear!  Praying like hell for you. fen

Fen
                                    Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Sounds favorable.  Keep on keep'n on!  Pulling for you.

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

gabsound
                                            Participant

Kevin,

What a warrior you are. I hope you will get a durable result with the SRS and that the Zelboraf kicks right in and fights off anything else that you may have. I know what you mean about the insurance. It's so frustrating waiting. Maybe they think if they delay long enough we won't need the treatment anymore?

Wishing you success,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                              Participant

Kevin,

What a warrior you are. I hope you will get a durable result with the SRS and that the Zelboraf kicks right in and fights off anything else that you may have. I know what you mean about the insurance. It's so frustrating waiting. Maybe they think if they delay long enough we won't need the treatment anymore?

Wishing you success,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                Participant

Kevin,

Wishing you success,

Julie in Las Vegas

MaryD
                                                  Participant

Kevin – you never cease to amaze me with your tenacity, optimism, and courage. The waiting is always tough but you're on the home stretch of the SRS and I'll bepraying that the Zelboraf will yield great results!

Best regards,

Mary

MaryD
                                                    Participant

Kevin – you never cease to amaze me with your tenacity, optimism, and courage. The waiting is always tough but you're on the home stretch of the SRS and I'll bepraying that the Zelboraf will yield great results!

Best regards,

Mary

MaryD
                                                      Participant

Best regards,

Mary

davidfromsingapore
                                                        Participant

Keep your spirits up Kevin.  There are more treatment options around the corner.  At some point, check out adoptive cell therapy.  They're doing it MD Anderson and it seems quite promising.  I'm in your situation.  Brain mets and taking Zelboraf.  Brain mets keep coming, but body clear.  Zelboraf isn't the worst thing, but not totally easy either.  I am quite sleepy every day.  Good luck to you.  Even though I don't know you, I'll be thinking about you. 

David

davidfromsingapore
                                                          Participant

Keep your spirits up Kevin.  There are more treatment options around the corner.  At some point, check out adoptive cell therapy.  They're doing it MD Anderson and it seems quite promising.  I'm in your situation.  Brain mets and taking Zelboraf.  Brain mets keep coming, but body clear.  Zelboraf isn't the worst thing, but not totally easy either.  I am quite sleepy every day.  Good luck to you.  Even though I don't know you, I'll be thinking about you. 

David

davidfromsingapore
                                                            Participant

David

Retired41505
                                                                Participant

David, how are you doing? My son in law, like you has brain mets only. Nine good weeks on Z but was told today his liver functions are off. CT tomorrow and stopping Z for a few days which is a bit scary as it's been working and tumors are shrinking. Until now things have been good.

Nina

Retired41505
                                                                  Participant

David, how are you doing? My son in law, like you has brain mets only. Nine good weeks on Z but was told today his liver functions are off. CT tomorrow and stopping Z for a few days which is a bit scary as it's been working and tumors are shrinking. Until now things have been good.

Nina

Retired41505
                                                                    Participant

Nina

Retired41505
                                                                      Participant

Nina

Retired41505
                                                                        Participant

Nina

Retired41505
                                                                          Participant

Nina

Richard_K
                                                                          Participant

Kevin

Glad to hear the positive news.  I hope the next 2 1/2 weeks pass quickly for you.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                            Participant

Kevin

Glad to hear the positive news.  I hope the next 2 1/2 weeks pass quickly for you.

Dick

deardad
                                                                                Participant

All the best Kevin, sounds like a good plan.

Nahmi

deardad
                                                                                  Participant

Nahmi

deardad
                                                                                    Participant

Nahmi

Richard_K
                                                                                    Participant

Kevin

Dick

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics