The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Quick question.

Forums General Melanoma Community Quick question.

Participant

Just wondering if  anyone here of has had, or heard of substantial benefit from doing IL2 a second time, or being on temodar, or trying whole brain radiation?

These are a few things, up in the air, that I may trying that I haven't yet..

Sometimes just a single story of success is enough to get that spark, that optimism, and make these times of waiting easier.

Thanks, -Kevin

Just wondering if  anyone here of has had, or heard of substantial benefit from doing IL2 a second time, or being on temodar, or trying whole brain radiation?

These are a few things, up in the air, that I may trying that I haven't yet..

Sometimes just a single story of success is enough to get that spark, that optimism, and make these times of waiting easier.

Thanks, -Kevin

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

Kevin, have you done any research on Dabrafenib?

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-05-dabrafenib-melanoma-brain-metastases-phase.html

Seems like a promising drug for someone with brain mets. It's not FDA approved but maybe you could get into a trial?

Linny
          Participant

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-05-dabrafenib-melanoma-brain-metastases-phase.html

Seems like a promising drug for someone with brain mets. It's not FDA approved but maybe you could get into a trial?

himynameiskevin
              Participant

I've looked into this, so far I could only find three trials and they need the tumors to be stable for 12 weeks before starting. :/

But maybe it 12 weeks I can get in? Hope so. Thanks for the link.

lhaley
                Participant

kevin,

I it they diffult type. E-mail me and I will send you email phone numun.  I is a phase 2 trial, you must be braf 600 E.   [email protected]  

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

kevin,

I it they diffult type. E-mail me and I will send you email phone numun.  I is a phase 2 trial, you must be braf 600 E.   [email protected]  

Linda

lhaley
                    Participant

kevin,

Linda

himynameiskevin
                      Participant

I've looked into this, so far I could only find three trials and they need the tumors to be stable for 12 weeks before starting. :/

himynameiskevin
                        Participant

Linny
                        Participant

killmel
                          Participant

Hi Kevin,

I have been doing  temador for 8 months and it kept me stable.. Mild side effects…very duable considering the side effcts you have been deeling with.

I recommend you do a search on "temador" & see if it worked on others. I guess temador is like every other drug….it is a crap shoot…some drugs with for some and not for others.

I know this weekend will be long for you waiting for your scans. This is a terrible time for you and I hope you get good news next week. At the very least, you will be zapping your brain mets so that will be behind you.

You are so young considering for all the treatment you have gone through in such a short time. I hope that you will finally find a treatment that works for you. I only wish that you stop getting brain mets because that puts you in a different scenario for treatments.

Good Luck, you are in my prayers.

Joyce

killmel
                            Participant

Hi Kevin,

I have been doing  temador for 8 months and it kept me stable.. Mild side effects…very duable considering the side effcts you have been deeling with.

I recommend you do a search on "temador" & see if it worked on others. I guess temador is like every other drug….it is a crap shoot…some drugs with for some and not for others.

I know this weekend will be long for you waiting for your scans. This is a terrible time for you and I hope you get good news next week. At the very least, you will be zapping your brain mets so that will be behind you.

You are so young considering for all the treatment you have gone through in such a short time. I hope that you will finally find a treatment that works for you. I only wish that you stop getting brain mets because that puts you in a different scenario for treatments.

Joyce

killmel
                              Participant

Hi Kevin,

Joyce

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

Temodar usually does not give a durable response and in many cases its the last drug they use…It held me stable for about 5 months before it stopped working. My doc at Mayo Clinic said it was about right and that after 5-7 months melanoma outwits it and begins to spread….

A Study Comparing Trametinib and Dabrafenib Combination Therapy to Dabrafenib Monotherapy in Subjects With BRAF-mutant Melanoma

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/view?cdrid=732691&version=HealthProfessional

Info from ASCO  on Dabrafenib   http://chicago2012.asco.org/ASCODailyNews/LBA8500.aspx

LynnLuc
                                    Participant

Temodar usually does not give a durable response and in many cases its the last drug they use…It held me stable for about 5 months before it stopped working. My doc at Mayo Clinic said it was about right and that after 5-7 months melanoma outwits it and begins to spread….

A Study Comparing Trametinib and Dabrafenib Combination Therapy to Dabrafenib Monotherapy in Subjects With BRAF-mutant Melanoma

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/view?cdrid=732691&version=HealthProfessional

Info from ASCO  on Dabrafenib   http://chicago2012.asco.org/ASCODailyNews/LBA8500.aspx

himynameiskevin
                                      Participant

Thanks for the reply and the links. So Trametinib is just a name for the MEK inhibitor I always hear about?

Also I just found out that Zelboraf and Dabrafenib are the same thing just a different name. This is correct? So if Zelboraf has stopped working, Dabrafenib is useless?

Eitherway, it looks like my first step to getting in any trial seems to be brain stability for 12 weeks. That's too bad, they had just been stable for 15 weeks, then a scan shows progression.. :/

himynameiskevin
                                        Participant

Thanks for the reply and the links. So Trametinib is just a name for the MEK inhibitor I always hear about?

Also I just found out that Zelboraf and Dabrafenib are the same thing just a different name. This is correct? So if Zelboraf has stopped working, Dabrafenib is useless?

Eitherway, it looks like my first step to getting in any trial seems to be brain stability for 12 weeks. That's too bad, they had just been stable for 15 weeks, then a scan shows progression.. :/

himynameiskevin
                                          Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                            Participant

Dabrafenib is GlaxoSmithKline's (GSK) proprietary BRAF inhibitor.  I understand that GSK will submit this drug to the FDA for approval later this year.  Since it's a BRAF inhibitor, it must work on the same general principle as Zelboraf, but it's not  the same drug.

Trametinib is GSK's proprietary MEK inhibitor (I believe it's under license from the original developer, Japan Tobacco).  The makers of Zelboraf also have an MEK inhibitor, which they have just begun to use in a clinical trial in combination with Zelboraf.  There is a poster named Eileen who recently started this trial.  I have been on GSK's BRAF/MEK trial for the last 14 months.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                              Participant

Dabrafenib is GlaxoSmithKline's (GSK) proprietary BRAF inhibitor.  I understand that GSK will submit this drug to the FDA for approval later this year.  Since it's a BRAF inhibitor, it must work on the same general principle as Zelboraf, but it's not  the same drug.

Trametinib is GSK's proprietary MEK inhibitor (I believe it's under license from the original developer, Japan Tobacco).  The makers of Zelboraf also have an MEK inhibitor, which they have just begun to use in a clinical trial in combination with Zelboraf.  There is a poster named Eileen who recently started this trial.  I have been on GSK's BRAF/MEK trial for the last 14 months.

Best wishes,

Harry

himynameiskevin
                                                Participant

Thanks for clearing these things up Harry, knowledge is power. I took a look at your profile, congrats on the 14 month shrinkage and stability. So happy for you. May it continue indefinitely. It's those stories that make it a little easier to sleep at night. Hope.

-Kevin

himynameiskevin
                                                  Participant

Thanks for clearing these things up Harry, knowledge is power. I took a look at your profile, congrats on the 14 month shrinkage and stability. So happy for you. May it continue indefinitely. It's those stories that make it a little easier to sleep at night. Hope.

-Kevin

himynameiskevin
                                                    Participant

-Kevin

lhaley
                                                      Participant

Harry,

Was braf/mek use for brain mets?  I was believe I was told that MEK doesn't across the brain barrier. Every trial I found excisioning acting brain mets.  Please let me know.  I had will take about 25 days before my trial is being and having panick attacks! 

Linda

lhaley
                                                        Participant

Harry,

Was braf/mek use for brain mets?  I was believe I was told that MEK doesn't across the brain barrier. Every trial I found excisioning acting brain mets.  Please let me know.  I had will take about 25 days before my trial is being and having panick attacks! 

Linda

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                          Participant

Sorry I can't help with your brain met question.  I'm fortunate in that I haven't had to face that issue (had lung, bone, and sub-q mets).  I think somewhere on the MRF site there's a link to all current trials, which included requirements and disqualifications.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                            Participant

Sorry I can't help with your brain met question.  I'm fortunate in that I haven't had to face that issue (had lung, bone, and sub-q mets).  I think somewhere on the MRF site there's a link to all current trials, which included requirements and disqualifications.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                              Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

lhaley
                                                                Participant

Harry,

Linda

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                                  Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

LynnLuc
                                                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics