The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Passing of KellieSue

Forums General Melanoma Community Passing of KellieSue

Participant

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kelliedykstra  I have been following several warriors on here for some time. I just loved Kellie's personality and fighting spirit. It seems as if melanoma grabs hold of the most amazing people. Kind of makes you want to be dull and boring for protection. Anyway, i get Caring bridge updates on her and her sister updated the caring bridge site of her passing. I waited to see if there would be an update here and when it didnt happen, i thought i would post.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kelliedykstra  I have been following several warriors on here for some time. I just loved Kellie's personality and fighting spirit. It seems as if melanoma grabs hold of the most amazing people. Kind of makes you want to be dull and boring for protection. Anyway, i get Caring bridge updates on her and her sister updated the caring bridge site of her passing. I waited to see if there would be an update here and when it didnt happen, i thought i would post. I don't want to overstep my bounds, but i thought some who had been following her posts would want to know. She was on another trial and at home with family doing well. Her last post was at Valentine's day. she had been updating almost daily, and it seemed as if the worst was sleepiness and nausea. But then when she didnt post for a week, it was not good. Seems she got admitted to the hospital for pain control and then taken off the study and went home with hospice. Her sister said her passing was painfree and peaceful with her family around her.

Again, i didn't want to overstep anything, i don't know her personally but i felt like she was family and i thought others might want to know. Debbie

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        JoshF
        Participant

This is heart breaking and all she had gone through yet remained positive. God's Peace for Kellie and family!

JoshF
          Participant

This is heart breaking and all she had gone through yet remained positive. God's Peace for Kellie and family!

JoshF
            Participant

mlbjab
              Participant

i am so sad to read this.  I knew of her from http://www.kellymom.com – a breastfeeding community.  She was a huge part of this website.  I was also a melanoma survivor so we had that in common. 

mlbjab
                Participant

i am so sad to read this.  I knew of her from http://www.kellymom.com – a breastfeeding community.  She was a huge part of this website.  I was also a melanoma survivor so we had that in common. 

mlbjab
                  Participant

Phyllis in IA
                    Participant

I'm very sorry to hear this.  Kellie Sue approached her situation with such a great attitude, and she was always supportive of others in her posts.  I really hoped she would make it.  I'll keep her family in my prayers.

Phyllis

Phyllis in IA
                      Participant

I'm very sorry to hear this.  Kellie Sue approached her situation with such a great attitude, and she was always supportive of others in her posts.  I really hoped she would make it.  I'll keep her family in my prayers.

Phyllis

Phyllis in IA
                        Participant

Phyllis

lhaley
                          Participant

l also followed Kellie's Caring Bridge and didn't know what to do.  She had also e-mailed me personally some but haven't heard recently.  Kellie fought so hard and I know her brain met was shrinking and the edema had also disappeared. Her other mets just were too much.

I will miss her spirit and fight. So difficult for her family. I am glad she is now free from pain.

We have had lost too many lately from our melanoma community. 

Linda

lhaley
                            Participant

l also followed Kellie's Caring Bridge and didn't know what to do.  She had also e-mailed me personally some but haven't heard recently.  Kellie fought so hard and I know her brain met was shrinking and the edema had also disappeared. Her other mets just were too much.

I will miss her spirit and fight. So difficult for her family. I am glad she is now free from pain.

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

Linda

gabsound
                                Participant

Kellie Sue was a true warrior and inspiration to me.

I am saddened to hear of her passing.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                  Participant

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                    Participant

Julie in Las Vegas

MeNDave
                                      Participant

Thank you for letting us know Debbie.  I am so saddened to hear this.  Even though I never knew her, I'll miss her picture coming up when she would post.  I always thought  she looked so happy….

Too many warriors lost lately…

Maria

MeNDave
                                        Participant

Thank you for letting us know Debbie.  I am so saddened to hear this.  Even though I never knew her, I'll miss her picture coming up when she would post.  I always thought  she looked so happy….

Maria

Karin L
                                            Participant

I am so very sad.  Her posts always gave me hope.  Godspeed Kellie Sue.

Karin

Karin L
                                              Participant

Karin

Karin L
                                                Participant

Karin

MeNDave
                                                Participant

Maria

King
                                                  Participant

Thank you for sharing this information.  It really saddens me.  Nothing should shock or surprise me any longer with melanoma.  I offer my sincerest sympathy to Kellie's family and friends.  She will be missed here.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05  Liver mets

King
                                                    Participant

Thank you for sharing this information.  It really saddens me.  Nothing should shock or surprise me any longer with melanoma.  I offer my sincerest sympathy to Kellie's family and friends.  She will be missed here.

Stay Strong

King

King
                                                      Participant

Stay Strong

King

FormerCaregiver
                                                        Participant

Debbie, thanks for sharing this news. Kellie certainly put up a courageous fight against metastatic melanoma, and I am deeply saddened to read that she has passed away. Sincere condolences to her family and friends.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                          Participant

Debbie, thanks for sharing this news. Kellie certainly put up a courageous fight against metastatic melanoma, and I am deeply saddened to read that she has passed away. Sincere condolences to her family and friends.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                            Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

shellebrownies
                                                              Participant

So sorry to hear of Kellie Sue's passing, but glad that her pain and suffering is at an end. She always had such a bright, positive attitude; it gave others hope. Godspeed, Kellie! You will be missed.

Michelle, wife of Don

Phil S
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Kellie Sue was such a positive force and a voice of reason, and I always looked for her picture and posts. She fought for many, many years and had two children during her long fight,and continued to live her life with spirit and optimism. God bless her family. Peace to you, Kellie! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                    Phil S
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Kellie Sue was such a positive force and a voice of reason, and I always looked for her picture and posts. She fought for many, many years and had two children during her long fight,and continued to live her life with spirit and optimism. God bless her family. Peace to you, Kellie! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                      Phil S
                                                                      Participant
                                                                      shellebrownies
                                                                      Participant

So sorry to hear of Kellie Sue's passing, but glad that her pain and suffering is at an end. She always had such a bright, positive attitude; it gave others hope. Godspeed, Kellie! You will be missed.

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                                                                        Participant

Michelle, wife of Don

JerryfromFauq
                                                                          Participant

How an oe be overstepping to let othrs know when one of our group mets the end of their earthly life.  Way too often too many people die and no one 'bothers' posting here for us.    Thank you for the post.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                            Participant

How an oe be overstepping to let othrs know when one of our group mets the end of their earthly life.  Way too often too many people die and no one 'bothers' posting here for us.    Thank you for the post.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                              Participant

LauraP
                                                                                Participant

This is Kellie's sister Laura. Thank you for posting, Debbie. I had planned to update this forum about Kellie's passing, but I hope you'll understand that the family has been laying low for a while. Kellie had been making progress with treatment of her brain tumor up until mid-February. Around this time, however, the disease continued to spread much more rapidly in her lungs and thyroid, and it soon became impossible to both stabilize the brain and control the sudden new growths. This did seem like an abrupt turn, especially since Kellie was so accustomed to bouncing back from every recurrence and fighting with every ounce of her being. She never accepted any news from her doctor as a sentence, only as a new step. Her oncologist removed her from the latest clinical trial on February 28 only because she had become progressively weaker and unresponsive to further treatment. The next few days were dedicated to managing pain, and we believe that when Kellie passed she was no longer suffering.

I know this community was very important to Kellie. Thank you to everyone on the forum for giving her the opportunity to speak frankly about melanoma and for commiserating, celebrating, and raging along with her. She trusted her fellow warriors to provide advice or consolation with every setback or victory and she looked forward to good news from other fighters. Kellie was a tenacious public advocate for melanoma awareness and research, and we encouraged family and friends to contribute to the Melanoma Research Foundation in her honor. I wish the best for all of you and hope you continue to fight this ugly and too-often-overlooked disease.

LauraP
                                                                                  Participant

This is Kellie's sister Laura. Thank you for posting, Debbie. I had planned to update this forum about Kellie's passing, but I hope you'll understand that the family has been laying low for a while. Kellie had been making progress with treatment of her brain tumor up until mid-February. Around this time, however, the disease continued to spread much more rapidly in her lungs and thyroid, and it soon became impossible to both stabilize the brain and control the sudden new growths. This did seem like an abrupt turn, especially since Kellie was so accustomed to bouncing back from every recurrence and fighting with every ounce of her being. She never accepted any news from her doctor as a sentence, only as a new step. Her oncologist removed her from the latest clinical trial on February 28 only because she had become progressively weaker and unresponsive to further treatment. The next few days were dedicated to managing pain, and we believe that when Kellie passed she was no longer suffering.

I know this community was very important to Kellie. Thank you to everyone on the forum for giving her the opportunity to speak frankly about melanoma and for commiserating, celebrating, and raging along with her. She trusted her fellow warriors to provide advice or consolation with every setback or victory and she looked forward to good news from other fighters. Kellie was a tenacious public advocate for melanoma awareness and research, and we encouraged family and friends to contribute to the Melanoma Research Foundation in her honor. I wish the best for all of you and hope you continue to fight this ugly and too-often-overlooked disease.

LauraP
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics