The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New- PLease help

Forums General Melanoma Community New- PLease help

Participant

I am in total shock and panic.  My amazing mother was diagnosed with melanoma yesterday.  She had pain in her side and we thought it was gall bladder.  They found a 4 cm lesion, the biospy originally came back benign.  We then went to Sloan to find that it is indeed melanoma.  

Monday she starts her Opdivo/Yervoy but I am so scared.  Am I reading correctly that the prognosis is still bad even with immumotherapy. 

She is my whole like and I can't believe this.  Any hopeful stories will be helpful.   They found nothing anywhere else.  A tiny pin in her brain that the doctor wasn't concerned with a a calcification that has been in her lung for years.  

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Coragirl
        Participant

I am so sorry that you are going through this. my husband was diagnosed stage 3 in 2015 and I truly understand the fear you are feeling. your mother is at a great hospital,she will receive the absolute best care. Google Joe Fornear he has an amazing story that will give you and your mother so much hope. 

daughter1
            Participant

I am not hearing any stories about the liver?  Are lesions more difficult to shrink when they are in the liver?  I dont understand why its all there??

Hukill
            Participant

You will find many people on here that have been NED for 3 to 5 years after yervoy and or opdivo. I started on the combo in July 2016 with 7 mets in my lungs. My last scan on 12/29/2016 had "near complete resolution" in my lungs with no new mets anywhere. My next scan is 3/16/2017 and hope they find all is gone. If your immune system reacts to these drugs they can be very successful. Expect side effects, they will come but I always looked at them that it meant my immune system was reacting and killing cancer.

daughter1
                Participant

OMG thank you both for your replies.  I am crying just reading them.  Maybe you can help me understand this.  Why is it just travelling to the liver.  And can this combination really shrink a 4 cm lesion?  

Hukill
                Participant

Not sure why some have wide spread melanoma and some don't. My melanoma went from stage 2b on my scalp to 1 year later I felt a ping pong size knot in my upper shoulder lower neck and had surgically removed and pet scan had 7 mets in my lungs, no other place. If the one in my neck had not been there we would have not found the others as early as we did. If the immune system reacts to the combo and a person can tolerate the side effects over a period of time I think it can kill a 5 cm cancer.

daughter1
                    Participant

I am so grateful for all this hope.  What I have been reading has scared me to the core.  God Bless you for taking the time to reply to my post. 

daughter1
                      Participant

WHen you say 7 mets.  What does that mean. 7 tumors? lesions? are they usually that big?  If the combo shrinks the lesion, why wouldnt they resect it?

Hukill
                        Participant

7 tumors between both lungs. It was caught early, I think my biggest one was 1.5cm. Mine was diagnosed as non-surgical but the body takes care of removing it. There may be some residual tumor scare left and some people will still have a tumor but all cells inside are dead. Everyone is different.

BillMFl
                        Participant

Mets tend to lodge in organs with a rich blood supply, thus brain, lungs and liver. But it can also spread virtually anywhere in the body. It often can be easier to treat if it is in a single location so be hopeful for that. Your mom's situation is serious but not hopeless. You will soon learn much more from her doctors. Try to remain as calm as possible under the circumstances. Many others has survived multiple mets to a variety of organs. Her chances will be greatly influenced by her genetics and the kind of treatment based on that. It takes time for a thurough analysis and treatment plan. Her journey is just beginning so hang in there and get support if you need it!

daughter1
                            Participant

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate it. I am so scared. 

Jahendry12
                            Participant

There are many people living and 'maintaining' their stage IV diagnosis. My husband was diagnosed stage IV in 2012 and he is still here living a mostly normal life.

catherineadele
                              Participant

I understand why you are in shock and panic.  Melanoma is a very serious illness, however there has been very good results with the opvido/yervoy.  I encourage you to always maintain hope, that no matter how hard the days get for your mom as she undergoes treatment, she needs someone besides her Dr's. to give her hope and encouragement thru-out the treatment.  Don't let the fear paralyze you…..take control and always be positive…she needs that. There are many melanoma centers for excellence and Sloan is one of them..the work these centers do is AMAZING and MIRACULOUS.  Blessings to you and your Mom as you embark on a new journey together.

marta010
                                Participant

So sorry you and your Mom have to deal with this.  The initial fear and panic is totally understandable.  When my husband was first diagnosed 5 years ago, I was a total wreck.  My advice is to take this one day at a time – try not to worry about what might happen.  Easier said than done!  Melanoma patients have so many more options now than in the past – your Mom is starting in the best place.  Take care.

Ann

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Hello,  I am very sorry you received the bad news yesterday but there is still hope.  Many drugs have come out in the last 7 years or so and some work very good.

My husband went to stage IV in Oct. 2010 and started on a clinical trial in March of 2011 with Yervoy (Ipi) 10 mg/kg and GM-CSF.  He had an unresectable tumor on his Cervical Spine at C1 – C2 area and also several in his lungs and liver and even some subcutaneous.  He did the initial 4 doses in 12 weeks of the Yervoy and the GM-CSF was self injected daily for two weeks then 1 week off.  We watched the subcutaneous ones shrink as we took pictures every 3 weeks on the Yervoy day.  The clinical trial he was in after the initial was finished he went into maintenance with the Yervoy to once every 12 weeks while staying on the regiment of the self injected shots of two weeks doing them daily and 1 week nothing.  In July 2012 he became NED (no evidence of disease).  In Dec. 2013 he went off of the Yervoy and GM-CSF completely and he is still NED for over 4.5 years.  If you would like to read more about his journey you can click on his profile.

Try to relax a little as more are living longer and not a lot of people hang around here on the board daily and just drop in occassionally. 

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for over 4.5 years.)

daughter1
                                      Participant

Thank you so very much Judy for your reply.  This board is what is getting us through.  Why do they deem something unresectable?  Doesnt the liver regenerate well?  She has a 4cm mass on her liver? Why not just get rid of it and then treat the smaller ones (not sure if there are) with the opdivo/kervoy?  

catherineadele
                                        Participant

They usually deem something unresectable if it is to large or the tumor is in a spot that they cannot get to or is near an adjoining organ that would makes its resection impossible.

Gene_S
                                          Participant

His unresectable tumor was on the spine at the base of the head and if they would have taken his tumor he would have been a quadriplegic.  Since he also had some in the body it was better to treat all of them with medicine.

Judy (loving wife of Gene)

Mat
                                          Participant

I have liver mets (~ dozen) and am presently doing well on ipi/nivo (12+ months).  You can search my posts.  Though I'm seen at UPenn, I consult with Wolchok at Sloan.

daughter1
                                              Participant

OMG Mat!!  Thank you so much for replying.  Just taking the few minutes to do that is going to help us through.  My mother is in horrible pain.  I know everyone has different results but the fact that you felt better within a week is miraculous.  She starts her treatment Monday.  She has a large mass on her liver 4.4 cm since her last scan which was 4 weeks ago.  I would do anything to have her feel better.  Thanks for sharing.  I hope you don't mind if I ask you more questions along the way.  

Sincerely,

Robin

snow white
                                              Participant

Hang in there!  My Dad was diagnosed in August 2016, it was scary as heck and I had a similiar reaction.  It freaked me out!  But, thankfully I found this forum and these wonderful people calmed me down.  My Dad is stage IV with 15 brain mets, spleen 20+,  1 lung and1  thigh.  He has been treated and is currently on yervoy and doing well.  Don't loose hope and don't listen to the internet (especially the old stuff) there are a lot of new treatments available.  As was advised to me: you will feel much better when your treatment plan is in place and you get "settled in".  In the meantime, take a deep breath.

Best.  Jen

daughter1
                                                  Participant

Thank you so much for your replies.  I can't tell you how much they mean to me. Truly so very thankful for all of you.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics