The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

May be a good time for another long term STAGE III & IV survivor stories update

Forums General Melanoma Community May be a good time for another long term STAGE III & IV survivor stories update

Participant

Good morning everyone-

Its been a tough few days on the board…..after reading recent posts from Josh, Paul, and others….(and wondering about Jamieth29)  I thought it might be a good time to for another LONG TERM Stage III and IV survivor roll call.

Any long term STAGE III survivor stories….anyone after multiple recurrnces?

And any long term Stage IV survivor stories?

Melanoma is one tough battle, and this time of year is often tougher.

Hoping some of the longer term folks will chime in…those good stories are so encouraging and  a great reminder for everyone.

Wishing everoyne happy holidays, and lots of hope for a healthy 2017!!!!!

LONG TERM III AND IV SURVIVORS PLEASE POST!!!!!!

Viewing 44 reply threads
    • Replies
        snow white
        Participant

Looking forward to any and all responses.  It gives us all some hope 🙂

snow white
          Participant

msitz
              Participant

My dad was diagnosed in March 2015 with stage 4 melanoma of unknown primary with brain, lung, bowel and lymph node metastases. He was given a prognosis of 2 months at diagnosis and had a melanoma related bowel perforation prior to initiating therapy (which was managed with antibiotics because he was not a surgical candidate). We brought him to MD Anderson as immunotherapy had not yet been approved in Canada  

He was started on Keytruda as first line therapy and had a dramatic response. His most recent PET scan had just one intraabdominal lesion left that is still shrinking. There is talk of surgically removing it which would leave him NEAD.

His original tumour burden was very high (8cm lung and bowel tumours) so there is still hope with those with high tumour burden widespread metastatic disease. The crew at MD Anderson (and Keytruda) definitely saved my dad's life!

Patrisa
                Participant

Wow, that´s amazing, i am sooo happy for your dad!

Patrisa
                  Participant

Patrisa
                    Participant

msitz
                      Participant

My dad was diagnosed in March 2015 with stage 4 melanoma of unknown primary with brain, lung, bowel and lymph node metastases. He was given a prognosis of 2 months at diagnosis and had a melanoma related bowel perforation prior to initiating therapy (which was managed with antibiotics because he was not a surgical candidate). We brought him to MD Anderson as immunotherapy had not yet been approved in Canada  

He was started on Keytruda as first line therapy and had a dramatic response. His most recent PET scan had just one intraabdominal lesion left that is still shrinking. There is talk of surgically removing it which would leave him NEAD.

His original tumour burden was very high (8cm lung and bowel tumours) so there is still hope with those with high tumour burden widespread metastatic disease. The crew at MD Anderson (and Keytruda) definitely saved my dad's life!

msitz
                        Participant

snow white
                        Participant

Toby0987
                          Participant

Stage 3b since feb 2013-mole on inner forearm-macromet to armpit. 39 yoa then. Removed 40 some lymph nodes just one fat one, mitosis 4-chose watch and wait and no problems since then. Go in every 6 months to get a PET. Have one more year of PETs then only get one a year after that. 

Toby0987
                            Participant

Stage 3b since feb 2013-mole on inner forearm-macromet to armpit. 39 yoa then. Removed 40 some lymph nodes just one fat one, mitosis 4-chose watch and wait and no problems since then. Go in every 6 months to get a PET. Have one more year of PETs then only get one a year after that. 

Toby0987
                              Participant

Kim K
                                Participant

Stage IV, currently NED 6.5 YEARS and was let go by my onc's this year.  Lung surgery & IL-2, 23 bags later cool.

Kim K
                                  Participant

Stage IV, currently NED 6.5 YEARS and was let go by my onc's this year.  Lung surgery & IL-2, 23 bags later cool.

Kim K
                                    Participant

Kim K
                                        Participant

Oh yeah, I was originally diagnosed stage 2A in 2002 which would make me a 15 year survivor!

Kim K
                                          Participant

Oh yeah, I was originally diagnosed stage 2A in 2002 which would make me a 15 year survivor!

Kim K
                                            Participant

Richard_K
                                            Participant

Stage IV diagnosis 7 years 3 months ago. Been on vemurafenib now for 6 years 9 months.

Richard_K
                                              Participant

Stage IV diagnosis 7 years 3 months ago. Been on vemurafenib now for 6 years 9 months.

Richard_K
                                                Participant

Fen
                                                  Participant

Hard to tell what stage I was since there was an unknown primary but at least 3 with a met to a lymph node in my parotid gland.  That was 2005 and haven't had any recurrences.  Did 6 months of interferon but frankly, I don't think that helped at all.   So very concerned and praying hard for all on the board.

Fen
                                                    Participant

Hard to tell what stage I was since there was an unknown primary but at least 3 with a met to a lymph node in my parotid gland.  That was 2005 and haven't had any recurrences.  Did 6 months of interferon but frankly, I don't think that helped at all.   So very concerned and praying hard for all on the board.

Fen
                                                      Participant

liberty04281
                                                        Participant
                                                          Almost 7 years since I was diagnosed with stage 1, than year and half later stage 3. I had a few surgeries to remove my lymph nodes than radiation. Two years ago stage 4, small tumors in my lungs. I had treatment with Yervoy. Most of the tumors shrank, and since than I am stable, feeling good, working full time and living my life in fullness. Hoping next scan in January will be good.
                                                          There is always Hope.
                                                          Hope is everything!.
                                                          liberty04281
                                                          Participant
                                                            Almost 7 years since I was diagnosed with stage 1, than year and half later stage 3. I had a few surgeries to remove my lymph nodes than radiation. Two years ago stage 4, small tumors in my lungs. I had treatment with Yervoy. Most of the tumors shrank, and since than I am stable, feeling good, working full time and living my life in fullness. Hoping next scan in January will be good.
                                                            There is always Hope.
                                                            Hope is everything!.
                                                            liberty04281
                                                            Participant
                                                              There is always Hope.
                                                              Hope is everything!.
                                                              marta010
                                                              Participant

My husband was diagnosed in March 2012 with unknown primary, mets to brain and other areas in his body.  Has been battling every day since –  treatments include radiation, multiple gamma knife procedures, 2 craniotomies, zelboraf, ipi, Tafinlar, Keytruda.   He is truly a miracle and we are thankful for every additional day.  He's been able to see our kids graduate from college and our daughter get married this past October.  We take life one day at a time – each treatment buys him time until the next one comes along.  

Ann

marta010
                                                                Participant

My husband was diagnosed in March 2012 with unknown primary, mets to brain and other areas in his body.  Has been battling every day since –  treatments include radiation, multiple gamma knife procedures, 2 craniotomies, zelboraf, ipi, Tafinlar, Keytruda.   He is truly a miracle and we are thankful for every additional day.  He's been able to see our kids graduate from college and our daughter get married this past October.  We take life one day at a time – each treatment buys him time until the next one comes along.  

Ann

marta010
                                                                  Participant

Ann

Gene_S
                                                                    Participant

My husband was diagnosed with his first melanoma in Jan. 2008 with a 10.5 mm tumor with a Stage III and after 3 more surgeries he became Stage IV in Oct. of 2010.  He stated a clinical trial for Ipi (Yervoy) 10mg/kg and GM-CSF in March of 2011 with metastisis to the liver, lungs and an unresectable tumor pushing on the C1-C2 spine.  He became NED in July 2012 and went off of the Ipi and GM-CSF in Dec. 2013.  So he has been NED for 4.5 years.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for 4.5 years)

Gene_S
                                                                      Participant

My husband was diagnosed with his first melanoma in Jan. 2008 with a 10.5 mm tumor with a Stage III and after 3 more surgeries he became Stage IV in Oct. of 2010.  He stated a clinical trial for Ipi (Yervoy) 10mg/kg and GM-CSF in March of 2011 with metastisis to the liver, lungs and an unresectable tumor pushing on the C1-C2 spine.  He became NED in July 2012 and went off of the Ipi and GM-CSF in Dec. 2013.  So he has been NED for 4.5 years.

Gene_S
                                                                        Participant

Linny
                                                                          Participant

Stage III, Unknown Primary. NED since November 2010. Christmas and New Year's that year were friggin' awful but it's all behind me now. I was in a phase III clinical trial for the MAGE A3 vaccine that was discontinued because it was shown to not have much of a benefit. I guess that's just a fancy way of saying that the both the vaccine group and the placebo group were doing well. <sigh>

Have a CT Scan coming up in February 2017. Overall I am feeling well and enjoying life. Have resumed doing many of the things I loved doing prior to my diagnosis, like training my dog, playing music, and photography. 

Linny
                                                                            Participant

Stage III, Unknown Primary. NED since November 2010. Christmas and New Year's that year were friggin' awful but it's all behind me now. I was in a phase III clinical trial for the MAGE A3 vaccine that was discontinued because it was shown to not have much of a benefit. I guess that's just a fancy way of saying that the both the vaccine group and the placebo group were doing well. <sigh>

Have a CT Scan coming up in February 2017. Overall I am feeling well and enjoying life. Have resumed doing many of the things I loved doing prior to my diagnosis, like training my dog, playing music, and photography. 

Linny
                                                                              Participant

jenny22
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Linny- that is great to hear….

I cant seem to shake the feeling lately that progressng to Stage IV is ineveitable, and just a matter of time….especially after 2 recurrences….both local/intransits….i think i need an attitude adjustment…

Reading stories likes yours is so encouraging……

Have a wonderful holiday.

TKS!!!!

jenny

jenny22
                                                                                    Participant

I cant seem to shake the feeling lately that progressng to Stage IV is ineveitable, and just a matter of time….especially after 2 recurrences….both local/intransits….i think i need an attitude adjustment…

TKS!!!!

jenny

jenny22
                                                                                      Participant

TKS!!!!

jenny

jaco
                                                                                      Participant

2010 first diagnosed,  came back 2015 Stage III lymph node dissection in March 2015 right groin followed by radiation. Spread to my lymph node  under right arm and back in right groin, summer 2015. Now stage IV- I started targeted therapy- combo meki/tafinilar in Sept 2015. Pet scan in March 2016 NO SIGN OF CANCER pet scan September 2016 NO CANCER. REMISSION!!!!!! I'm going to make a year cancer free. Then will push for year two.  

Merry Christmas to all!!!

jaco
                                                                                        Participant

2010 first diagnosed,  came back 2015 Stage III lymph node dissection in March 2015 right groin followed by radiation. Spread to my lymph node  under right arm and back in right groin, summer 2015. Now stage IV- I started targeted therapy- combo meki/tafinilar in Sept 2015. Pet scan in March 2016 NO SIGN OF CANCER pet scan September 2016 NO CANCER. REMISSION!!!!!! I'm going to make a year cancer free. Then will push for year two.  

jaco
                                                                                          Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                            Participant

I figure you all know my history…but if it helps:

Stage IIIb in 2003. Stage IV with brain and lung mets in 2010. SRS to brain, upper right lobe of lung removed then a Phase 1 nivolumab (now Opdivo) trial for 2 1/2 years…last dose was in June of 2013. So…that's 13 years in melanoma world. More than 6 years Stage IV, but also more than 6 years NED, and more than three years since my last treatment.

All my best to each of you. Celeste

Bubbles
                                                                                              Participant

Stage IIIb in 2003. Stage IV with brain and lung mets in 2010. SRS to brain, upper right lobe of lung removed then a Phase 1 nivolumab (now Opdivo) trial for 2 1/2 years…last dose was in June of 2013. So…that's 13 years in melanoma world. More than 6 years Stage IV, but also more than 6 years NED, and more than three years since my last treatment.

Bubbles
                                                                                                Participant

jenny22
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Celeste-

Yes, you're right we do know your history….BUT it nver hurts to see it over and over and over again to reinfroce that there are success stories….

Have a happy holiday!!!!!

Jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Celeste-

Yes, you're right we do know your history….BUT it nver hurts to see it over and over and over again to reinfroce that there are success stories….

Jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                        Participant

Hi Celeste-

Jenny

Becky
                                                                                                        Participant

My son was diagnosed 2009 right before his 21st birthday…very rare oral melanoma on the tip of his tongue. It has spread to one lymph node making him stage 3. All the stats for oral melanoma were horrible..I was a wreck. He did a year of interferon ( kind of the standard back then) and has been NED ever since!

Becky
                                                                                                          Participant

My son was diagnosed 2009 right before his 21st birthday…very rare oral melanoma on the tip of his tongue. It has spread to one lymph node making him stage 3. All the stats for oral melanoma were horrible..I was a wreck. He did a year of interferon ( kind of the standard back then) and has been NED ever since!

Becky
                                                                                                            Participant

Jahendry12
                                                                                                              Participant

Husband diagnosed stage 3 in April 2011.  Met on lung in 2012 – now stage IV. NED until November 2015. On keytruda from Jan – May 2016. NED since May 2016. Next scan is January. Praying for continued NED status. Praying for all of you in this board as well. 

Jahendry12
                                                                                                                Participant

Husband diagnosed stage 3 in April 2011.  Met on lung in 2012 – now stage IV. NED until November 2015. On keytruda from Jan – May 2016. NED since May 2016. Next scan is January. Praying for continued NED status. Praying for all of you in this board as well. 

Jahendry12
                                                                                                                  Participant

Charlie S
                                                                                                                    Participant

Stage III unknown primary 1987.

Stage IV 1996

Seven recurrences since.

Surgeries, interferon, interleukin, keytruda.

So that makes 30 years coming up since Stage III

20 Since Stage IV

Last recurrence this year.

NED——-Not Expecting Death. 

Cheers,

Charlie S

jenny22
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hey Charlie-

Thanks for posting and nice to see you…..

GOTTA say I love your new definition of NED!!!!!

Hope you are doing ok….

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hey Charlie-

Hope you are doing ok….

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                                            Participant

Hey Charlie-

Hope you are doing ok….

Best,

jenny

Charlie S
                                                                                                                            Participant

Stage IV 1996

Seven recurrences since.

20 Since Stage IV

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                                                                              Participant

Stage IV 1996

Seven recurrences since.

20 Since Stage IV

Cheers,

Charlie S

jenny22
                                                                                                                                Participant

Thanks to everyone who posted. 

It is always good to hear long term success stories..

Anyone else out there, who has good news to share?

Wishing everyone a happy and VERY HEALTHY 2017

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Best,

jenny

Viewing 44 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics