The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipilimumab and Low Platelets?

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipilimumab and Low Platelets?

Participant

Anyone has platelets fall as a result of Ipilimumab? If so, what was the treatment and was it long lasting?

Anyone has platelets fall as a result of Ipilimumab? If so, what was the treatment and was it long lasting?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Not sure how much this will help, but from what I have read there is no special problem
          associated with a low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) and ipilimumab. However, a
          number of medications such as chemo can cause this. For info on treatments see:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrombocytopenia#Treatment

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Not sure how much this will help, but from what I have read there is no special problem
            associated with a low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) and ipilimumab. However, a

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

MichaelFL
              Participant

I recall you mentioning low counts in the past. As far back as April even.

There are several ways to raise counts. Discuss your situation and history with your doctor.

MichaelFL
                Participant

There are several ways to raise counts. Discuss your situation and history with your doctor.

MichaelFL
                  Participant

JerNYC
                    Participant

I have been experiencing very low HGB while on Ipi and am just about to undergo my third blood transfusion in the past 7-8 weeks. The Drs suspect it is internal bleeding, but no one has been able to find the source. I wonder if it is Ipi-related. I also had my HGB collapse while I was on IL-2 earlier this year, but it rectified itself over the following months. This time it is more predictable, falling about 1.5 points every two weeks. I had my last Ipi infusion last week so I'm hoping one way or another things improve.

JerNYC
                      Participant

I have been experiencing very low HGB while on Ipi and am just about to undergo my third blood transfusion in the past 7-8 weeks. The Drs suspect it is internal bleeding, but no one has been able to find the source. I wonder if it is Ipi-related. I also had my HGB collapse while I was on IL-2 earlier this year, but it rectified itself over the following months. This time it is more predictable, falling about 1.5 points every two weeks. I had my last Ipi infusion last week so I'm hoping one way or another things improve.

JerNYC
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics