The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hi everyone. Kevin here, home from the hospital.

Forums General Melanoma Community Hi everyone. Kevin here, home from the hospital.

Participant

It's been a ride.

I know Brenda updated my status for me as I was down and out, and kind of remember her reading your replies from my bedside in the hospital room. Thank you all for staying by my side during the must unfortunate and of difficult times.

A quick recap: MRI on July 23rd and "detailed" MRI on Aug 3rd showed more tumors in my brain. 3? 12? I didn't want to know, I was told that they were 1cm or lower and WBR would be the next best thing as have already SRSed 10 in February, it didn't seem like a race to win.

It's been a ride.

I know Brenda updated my status for me as I was down and out, and kind of remember her reading your replies from my bedside in the hospital room. Thank you all for staying by my side during the must unfortunate and of difficult times.

A quick recap: MRI on July 23rd and "detailed" MRI on Aug 3rd showed more tumors in my brain. 3? 12? I didn't want to know, I was told that they were 1cm or lower and WBR would be the next best thing as have already SRSed 10 in February, it didn't seem like a race to win.

PETscan on the 6th showed more progression and less progression in certain parts of lungs, but the bad outweighed the good. Affirming Zelboraf has run it's course, for now. Also a node, in my right groin is swelling again, same one, same spot as in February. Other than all those. That's it.

For a week or so before the second MRI I hadn't had much of an appetite and had a bit of anxiety, losing  weight, and not feeling too hot. Dizziness and fatigue. On the 6th, the day of the PETscan, things got rough, no appetite, started throwing up everything that went past my throat and real bad headaches. Around 3am of Tues I went to the ER, vitals ok, since I had just got scans, they stabilized me, they got me on steroids for swelling, a prescription sleep aide and some and nausea stuff.

12 hours later, after no help from these meds, Brenda called my docs, and they told me to come in right away to be admitted. By this time, I couldn't walk at all, complete vertigo. I've never had a drink or been intoxicated in my life, but it was probably like that. Slow steps with Brenda's shoulders and crawling to her car. And that was that, on our way I was a little scared but happy nonetheless. Looking forward to being under professional care. A lot of care was put toward me. Checked in, nurses and everyone were so great. My room was real nice and cozy. My mom flew out from NC, and took care of me like only a mother can. Stayed in my room and made my time there tolerable, and helped me get a little better day by day. She has to go home in a few hours though. :/ At least she was able to see me mend.

When I went in I was 122lbs, low for my usual 129 10yr avg. I was on stretchers and hover mats for days. I only threw up twice, once right when I arrived, and once on the first trip to WBR. I blame anxiety. They started WBR a week ago today, will continue everyday, until the end of next week I think. By Friday of last week I was wheel chairing it. And Saturday, a few walks outside with a walker. By Sunday they had me off all IV's/fluids. Labs are stable and I was able to walk, kind of like new born Bambi. But now, Wednesday, not too bad, calves still a little weak and crampy, so I take it slow, but hopefully be back to normal sooner than later. The steroids definitely helping my appetite, back up to 128 and keeping everything down, no problem. Not sure how swollen my face will get this time, but I'd sure prefer a swollen face over a swollen brain.

Future plan is still the same: just see if I can obtain some stability in my brain, knock these things out the best I can. Should be starting Temodar very soon, waiting on calls/approvals today, (did a low dose for a few days in the hospital) went alright. If I can buy some time, maybe a Temodar/Zelboraf combo? If I can get off the steroid, maybe IL-2 again? If something gets approved, maybe a compassionate use trial?

We'll see. For now I'm just going to try and feel better today than yesterday and see what happens. Try to keep doing that. Because somehow I'm still here, I should savor this gift. 

Thanks for reading, I'll keep you updated best I can.
      Genuine love to my Brenda, my mom, and to all of you for sticking by my side, encouraging, hoping and and sharing stories of good health during these rough times.

To our futures. -Kevin

Viewing 41 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          So good to hear hear from you,Kevin – been sending prayers and positive vibes your way! Keep on fighting! The only way from here is up, up, up!! There is a GREAT post from Charlie S here from a few days ago about his 25 rounds with Mel. Definitively read or have someone read it to you!
          awillett1991
          Participant
            So good to hear hear from you,Kevin – been sending prayers and positive vibes your way! Keep on fighting! The only way from here is up, up, up!! There is a GREAT post from Charlie S here from a few days ago about his 25 rounds with Mel. Definitively read or have someone read it to you!
            awillett1991
            Participant
              goldengirls2011
              Participant

Kevin,

It's great to hear from you. I was off the boards for a few days, and finally read Brenda's update on you. I didn't get to reply, but I did say an extra prayer just for you that evening.

You are one tough warrior! Hang in there, you've got quite a cheering squad on this board.

All the best to you!

Cathy

goldengirls2011
                Participant

Kevin,

It's great to hear from you. I was off the boards for a few days, and finally read Brenda's update on you. I didn't get to reply, but I did say an extra prayer just for you that evening.

You are one tough warrior! Hang in there, you've got quite a cheering squad on this board.

All the best to you!

Cathy

goldengirls2011
                  Participant

Kevin,

All the best to you!

Cathy

Nell
                    Participant

Kevin..I am quite new to this board, but I have been following your story and your posts. I am sorry that you have been so sick.  I am sending my prayers to you and hoping for peace and some energy for you.  I admire your fighting spirit. You are an inspiration to all of us.  May God bless you, Brenda, and your mom.  Everyone is behind you.   

Nell

Nell
                      Participant

Kevin..I am quite new to this board, but I have been following your story and your posts. I am sorry that you have been so sick.  I am sending my prayers to you and hoping for peace and some energy for you.  I admire your fighting spirit. You are an inspiration to all of us.  May God bless you, Brenda, and your mom.  Everyone is behind you.   

Nell

Nell
                        Participant

Nell

Roxy1453
                          Participant
                            It’s so great to hear from you. You and your family are true warriors! Keep up the good fight! We are all here for you!

Nancy

Roxy1453
                            Participant
                              It’s so great to hear from you. You and your family are true warriors! Keep up the good fight! We are all here for you!

Nancy

Roxy1453
                              Participant

Nancy

hope4cure1
                                Participant

Kevin, you sure have been on a ride! It comes as no surprise that your mom and Brenda are such exceptional women.  Your mom raised an incredible son, and Brenda loves and supports you with all her heart. You guys are a formidable team!  I hope you keep regaining your strength and that you feel better an better.  We can all learn a lesson from you about "savoring the gift".  Thank you for sharing your insight with all of us.

Hope

hope4cure1
                                  Participant

Kevin, you sure have been on a ride! It comes as no surprise that your mom and Brenda are such exceptional women.  Your mom raised an incredible son, and Brenda loves and supports you with all her heart. You guys are a formidable team!  I hope you keep regaining your strength and that you feel better an better.  We can all learn a lesson from you about "savoring the gift".  Thank you for sharing your insight with all of us.

Hope

hope4cure1
                                    Participant

Hope

killmel
                                      Participant

Hi Kevin,

I was so happy to see you are home. There is nothing like having your on pillow to get a goood nite sleep.

I pray that everyday you will feel better.

Are you having any side effects with WBR??? I know nothing about WBR. For those of us who have no experience with WBR, would you please share the experience with us. What is the procedure?? How long does WBR take for it towork??

God Bless you Kevin and may God keep you safe.

MaryBeth

killmel
                                        Participant

Hi Kevin,

I was so happy to see you are home. There is nothing like having your on pillow to get a goood nite sleep.

Are you having any side effects with WBR??? I know nothing about WBR. For those of us who have no experience with WBR, would you please share the experience with us. What is the procedure?? How long does WBR take for it towork??

MaryBeth

killmel
                                          Participant

Hi Kevin,

MaryBeth

himynameiskevin
                                              Participant

Hi MaryBeth, Brenda and I just went to pick up a new pillow and cotton blanket, to make this time of recovery just a little more "cozy". πŸ™‚

As far as the WBR, it's not bad at all.

I've had 11 spots zapped with SRS, and as most know, that mask is pretty tight and harnessed down. And some sessions can take 25 to 40 minutes depending on what you feel comfortable doing I guess. So if you have claustrophobia issues it could be a problem. SRS there's no feeling, no sensation of anything. Just laying there. For me anyway, only side effect I had was some alopecia, (straight lines and patterns where the lasers trajectories were) looked like a hair cut from the 80/90's. πŸ™‚

For the WBR, which has been 7 rounds now.. is a lot easier. The mask is snug, but not in a vice. And the treatment takes a minute tops. You lay there, there's a beep and a light, the machine moves, for about 10 seconds, repositions and repeats. And you're done. I guess SRS is a lot more, direct and promising, just go in once to just destroy a few tumors with no serious side effects and complications, and why it's usually preferred?

But for me, as they seem to just keep showing up, they explained they could keep chasing them down but looks like a race that can't be won and will at some point just put as much radiation in my brain as doing WBR, so to just  opt with WBR could maybe take care of everything, on top of the new ones that keep popping up because they're to small to see on scans. Also I hear you can't do SRS to a spot twice or two a spot that was really close to pretreated spot.

As for side effects, not much yet, the usual possibilities have been explained, slight headache, alopecia, dry scalp, and possible watery eyes or ringing in the ears, most all temporary from what I understand. But I haven't had any yet, I mean my heads been balding on and off for two years now. Everything else is ok. Maybe a little fatigue, but cancer can be a little fatiguing, so perhaps it's just that. I'm still a bit new to the WBR but hopefully will have more answers if you have more questions. I know there's a few others on here with great stories about it. One fellow I think is all clear in is head for the past 7 months after WBR. Gives me hope! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

himynameiskevin
                                                Participant

Hi MaryBeth, Brenda and I just went to pick up a new pillow and cotton blanket, to make this time of recovery just a little more "cozy". πŸ™‚

I've had 11 spots zapped with SRS, and as most know, that mask is pretty tight and harnessed down. And some sessions can take 25 to 40 minutes depending on what you feel comfortable doing I guess. So if you have claustrophobia issues it could be a problem. SRS there's no feeling, no sensation of anything. Just laying there. For me anyway, only side effect I had was some alopecia, (straight lines and patterns where the lasers trajectories were) looked like a hair cut from the 80/90's. πŸ™‚

For the WBR, which has been 7 rounds now.. is a lot easier. The mask is snug, but not in a vice. And the treatment takes a minute tops. You lay there, there's a beep and a light, the machine moves, for about 10 seconds, repositions and repeats. And you're done. I guess SRS is a lot more, direct and promising, just go in once to just destroy a few tumors with no serious side effects and complications, and why it's usually preferred?

But for me, as they seem to just keep showing up, they explained they could keep chasing them down but looks like a race that can't be won and will at some point just put as much radiation in my brain as doing WBR, so to just  opt with WBR could maybe take care of everything, on top of the new ones that keep popping up because they're to small to see on scans. Also I hear you can't do SRS to a spot twice or two a spot that was really close to pretreated spot.

As for side effects, not much yet, the usual possibilities have been explained, slight headache, alopecia, dry scalp, and possible watery eyes or ringing in the ears, most all temporary from what I understand. But I haven't had any yet, I mean my heads been balding on and off for two years now. Everything else is ok. Maybe a little fatigue, but cancer can be a little fatiguing, so perhaps it's just that. I'm still a bit new to the WBR but hopefully will have more answers if you have more questions. I know there's a few others on here with great stories about it. One fellow I think is all clear in is head for the past 7 months after WBR. Gives me hope! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

himynameiskevin
                                                  Participant

deardad
                                                    Participant

Hi Kevin,

I only know from my father's experience what a horrible rollercoaster brain mets are. Sounds like you are on top of things though, with gamma knife and WBR.

Keep fighting Kevin and I hope that radiation kills those buggers.

Nahmi

deardad
                                                      Participant

Hi Kevin,

I only know from my father's experience what a horrible rollercoaster brain mets are. Sounds like you are on top of things though, with gamma knife and WBR.

Nahmi

deardad
                                                        Participant

Hi Kevin,

Nahmi

Candlerssmith
                                                          Participant
                                                            I wanted to say hello. I’m new to the board and was diagnosed several weeks ago. Every scan showed more areas lighting up. They found around seven brain mets, some liver, lung, and abdomen. I had my first WBR today and started Ippi. I pray for our fight and know another warrior is holding your hand. Candi
                                                            Candlerssmith
                                                            Participant
                                                              I wanted to say hello. I’m new to the board and was diagnosed several weeks ago. Every scan showed more areas lighting up. They found around seven brain mets, some liver, lung, and abdomen. I had my first WBR today and started Ippi. I pray for our fight and know another warrior is holding your hand. Candi
                                                              Candlerssmith
                                                              Participant
                                                                himynameiskevin
                                                                Participant

Hi Candi,

I'm hoping WBR works wonders on the both of us. Stay strong and focused, I'm holding your hand too.

himynameiskevin
                                                                  Participant

Hi Candi,

I'm hoping WBR works wonders on the both of us. Stay strong and focused, I'm holding your hand too.

himynameiskevin
                                                                    Participant

Hi Candi,

jag
                                                                    Participant

Kevin!

Glad to hear you are still fighting the good fight.

As long as there is hope inside of you there is life.

God Bless, and you are in my prayers.

John

jag
                                                                      Participant

Kevin!

John

jag
                                                                        Participant

Kevin!

John

Phil S
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Kevin, So glad you are home and getting comfortable and cozy. I wish you and your wife the very best, enjoy the summer, swing in a hammock with the nice breezes and relax! You will feel tired from the WBR soon, just go with it and rest,rest, and rest! Your body needs to recharge. PHil finished WBR the first week of November and his August MRI was clear, so almost nine months with stable brain, it can work! Keep up the faith and those positive healing thoughts. You are a remarkable young man, wish we were neighbors, so I could give you a hug and tell you to keep fighting! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                            Phil S
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Kevin, So glad you are home and getting comfortable and cozy. I wish you and your wife the very best, enjoy the summer, swing in a hammock with the nice breezes and relax! You will feel tired from the WBR soon, just go with it and rest,rest, and rest! Your body needs to recharge. PHil finished WBR the first week of November and his August MRI was clear, so almost nine months with stable brain, it can work! Keep up the faith and those positive healing thoughts. You are a remarkable young man, wish we were neighbors, so I could give you a hug and tell you to keep fighting! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                                Laurie from maine
                                                                                Participant

Kevin,

wow kevin I am so glad you got to the hospital to get the care you needed.  I am glad your mom got to come and care for you, I am sure it helped her to be with you and help care for you while in hospital.  I am hoping that now that you are home you can rest up, bulk up and get your strength back.  As you can see we are all thinking and praying for you.

Keep us posted!

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                                                  Participant

Kevin,

wow kevin I am so glad you got to the hospital to get the care you needed.  I am glad your mom got to come and care for you, I am sure it helped her to be with you and help care for you while in hospital.  I am hoping that now that you are home you can rest up, bulk up and get your strength back.  As you can see we are all thinking and praying for you.

Keep us posted!

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                                                    Participant

Kevin,

Keep us posted!

laurie from maine

Phil S
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      MaryD
                                                                                      Participant

So glad to see you post Kevin – you have been through so much but I'm  just happy that you are beginning to feel better, gain weight, and getting as cozy as possible.   Thank God for Brenda and your wonderful Mom . .they are taking such good care of you and clearly you are loved very much!

Sending good thoughts and prayers that the WBR does the job on those mets and that you feel a little stronger each day.   Hoping you're able to just enjoy the moment while you're waiting for feedback on next steps.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you're doing – you have many fans here!    πŸ™‚

Mary

MaryD
                                                                                        Participant

So glad to see you post Kevin – you have been through so much but I'm  just happy that you are beginning to feel better, gain weight, and getting as cozy as possible.   Thank God for Brenda and your wonderful Mom . .they are taking such good care of you and clearly you are loved very much!

Sending good thoughts and prayers that the WBR does the job on those mets and that you feel a little stronger each day.   Hoping you're able to just enjoy the moment while you're waiting for feedback on next steps.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you're doing – you have many fans here!    πŸ™‚

Mary

MaryD
                                                                                          Participant

Mary

Lori C
                                                                                            Participant

Healing thoughts and energy to you, Kevin, and may the treatments knock this down fast.  I'm very glad you have such wonderful support and lots of good thoughts &  prayers to them as well, as they fight this with you.

Lori, caregiver to Will

Lori C
                                                                                              Participant

Healing thoughts and energy to you, Kevin, and may the treatments knock this down fast.  I'm very glad you have such wonderful support and lots of good thoughts &  prayers to them as well, as they fight this with you.

Lori, caregiver to Will

Lori C
                                                                                                Participant

Lori, caregiver to Will

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                  Participant

I haven't been on much, sorry, just trying to take a breath, it's been a bit rough and I'm doing my absolute best to focus on healing, resting and recharging. I just read all of your replies and wanted to thank every single one of you for all the continuous support, prayers, thoughts, hope and concern. It means so so much. Helps make it through the days with something to optimistically look forward to.

Starting my second week of WBR in about an hour, wish me luck. πŸ™‚

-Kevin

goldengirls2011
                                                                                                      Participant

Good luck! Stay strong, fight…and rest too!

Cathy

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                        Participant

Hi Kevin,

I love that you are such a FIGHTER!!! Keep fighting with all you have and Bless your Mom and Brenda. Sending positive vibes, prayers, love and light from Vermont!

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Kevin,

I love that you are such a FIGHTER!!! Keep fighting with all you have and Bless your Mom and Brenda. Sending positive vibes, prayers, love and light from Vermont!

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Kevin,

Vermont_Donna

goldengirls2011
                                                                                                              Participant

Cathy

goldengirls2011
                                                                                                                Participant

Cathy

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                                Participant

I haven't been on much, sorry, just trying to take a breath, it's been a bit rough and I'm doing my absolute best to focus on healing, resting and recharging. I just read all of your replies and wanted to thank every single one of you for all the continuous support, prayers, thoughts, hope and concern. It means so so much. Helps make it through the days with something to optimistically look forward to.

-Kevin

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                                  Participant

-Kevin

aldakota22
                                                                                                                    Participant

Kevin always looking for your posts.You amaze me how you stay positive.Will keep you in my prayers that they find the answer for you yhay finally beat this crap.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                                                                                                                      Participant

Kevin always looking for your posts.You amaze me how you stay positive.Will keep you in my prayers that they find the answer for you yhay finally beat this crap.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                                                                                                                        Participant

lhaley
                                                                                                                          Participant

Thinking of you all of the time!   I love how the women in your live are taking care of you. 

Linda

lhaley
                                                                                                                            Participant

Thinking of you all of the time!   I love how the women in your live are taking care of you. 

Linda

lhaley
                                                                                                                              Participant

Linda

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                Participant

HAven't been on much lately.  Poor intenet service, but do think of you.  Thanks for the update.  Love that fighting spirit, (Hate what tiredness and bed rest does to one.)

Good luck.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                  Participant

HAven't been on much lately.  Poor intenet service, but do think of you.  Thanks for the update.  Love that fighting spirit, (Hate what tiredness and bed rest does to one.)

Good luck.

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Been at MDA and just now seeing your post, Kev !   You hang in there – you can do this !   

Wishing you all the best and keep us posted.  YOU GOT THE GOODS TO BEAT THIS THING !  

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne) 

willtolive
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Dear Kevin.

I´m sure you will pull through this. It is difficult, no doubt about that, but with your believe, strong mind and heart, will get you through. Stay tough, your body can, sooner or later, conquer the devil.

I have a wish, that you will try acupuncture. Find a good (chinese) doctor, and make them help your body to begin defend melanoma by boosting your immunesystem.

I wish you all the best my friend. You dont know me, but your optimism and beautiful mind helped me and my wife through pure hell. Reading about your positivity made a difference for us, and I think of you every day and keep you in my prayers.

Go Kevin, go, you´re a winner πŸ™‚

willtolive
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Dear Kevin.

I´m sure you will pull through this. It is difficult, no doubt about that, but with your believe, strong mind and heart, will get you through. Stay tough, your body can, sooner or later, conquer the devil.

I have a wish, that you will try acupuncture. Find a good (chinese) doctor, and make them help your body to begin defend melanoma by boosting your immunesystem.

I wish you all the best my friend. You dont know me, but your optimism and beautiful mind helped me and my wife through pure hell. Reading about your positivity made a difference for us, and I think of you every day and keep you in my prayers.

willtolive
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Dear Kevin.

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Been at MDA and just now seeing your post, Kev !   You hang in there – you can do this !   

Wishing you all the best and keep us posted.  YOU GOT THE GOODS TO BEAT THIS THING !  

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Good luck.

Viewing 41 reply threads
                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics