The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hello, an NIH “ACT” update…

Forums General Melanoma Community Hello, an NIH “ACT” update…

Participant

Well, it's midnight, I just got home from a long day of shuttles, flights and airports. But before I lay down to sleep, an update:

Well, it's midnight, I just got home from a long day of shuttles, flights and airports. But before I lay down to sleep, an update:

So.., I had another solo trip the NIH in D.C. on Tuesday for my forth round of monthly scans. One day of traveling, one day of bloodwork and scans, and today, the doctors visit followed by the traveling home. And this months results are..

Things are still shrinking. At a snails pace. But still shrinking. There is nothing new and my brain is still clear.
      Not a cure, but great news nonetheless. My doctor did mention that it appeared that one might be a little bigger, but because it's so small, and since all the others are shrinking, she thinks it most likely just seems like that because of the way the CT scan image was spliced. I go back in another month and see what they have to say about it and the others.
      She said not to worry about it. …I'm sweating bullets.

Each month I really hope and pray for some… bigger number I guess, of percentage down or tumors disappeared. (as we all do I'm sure)
      But it seems each month, the progress has been getting slower and slower, and I'm a little worried about the months to come. :/
      We'll see. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I try to remind myself, that just 6 months ago this stuff was spreading out of control and I would've done just about anything to get it to pause, even if only for a day. And I guess I'm pretty fortunate and should be happy to be where I'm at right now, even if it isn't where I hope to be someday. And I can't rule any possibilities out. From what they've told me, they've seen just all sorts of reactions in different people, different timelines and effectiveness, progress or lack thereof etc…So it's really hard to say what to expect. I also heard a guy in the waiting room mention to another guy that his stuff didn't really budge for 6 months, then something kicked in and all of a sudden his adopted cells just went to town on all the enemies. 🙂 …Made me hopeful.

We'll see what next month has to say.

Until next time, I hope you all are doing well, and as always thanks for the positive thoughts, wishes, prayers, comments, and happy dances.

-Kevin

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Thanks for the update. I feel that your post gives many reasons for us to be optimistic.
          Adoptive cell therapy sounds like a complex procedure, but I have read that it is a really
          promising treatment.

Let's hope that your immune system will soon be able to figure out how to all eliminate
          melanoma cells from your body.

Good luck!

Frank from Australia

dawn dion
            Participant

Good to know Kevin – it is on my list of things to try in this insane battle.  Keep your chin up – I know it gets hard sometimes – believe me there are days when nothing gets to me and others I could just curl up in a ball and cry all day.  You are in my thoughts.  Stay strong.

Hugs and Smiles

dawn dion
              Participant

Good to know Kevin – it is on my list of things to try in this insane battle.  Keep your chin up – I know it gets hard sometimes – believe me there are days when nothing gets to me and others I could just curl up in a ball and cry all day.  You are in my thoughts.  Stay strong.

Hugs and Smiles

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Thanks for the update. I feel that your post gives many reasons for us to be optimistic.
                Adoptive cell therapy sounds like a complex procedure, but I have read that it is a really
                promising treatment.

Let's hope that your immune system will soon be able to figure out how to all eliminate
                melanoma cells from your body.

Good luck!

Frank from Australia

Jerry from Cape Cod
                Participant

Kevin,

Stable is good, shrinkage is better.   I had a couple of smaller tumors that sometimes would measure slightly larger.  The doctors discounted them due to image angle, acceptable measurement errors,etc.  The good news they were right.

Jerry from Cape Cod.
                  now one month NEM

Jerry from Cape Cod
                  Participant

Kevin,

Stable is good, shrinkage is better.   I had a couple of smaller tumors that sometimes would measure slightly larger.  The doctors discounted them due to image angle, acceptable measurement errors,etc.  The good news they were right.

Jerry from Cape Cod.
                    now one month NEM

jim Breitfeller
                    Participant

Kevin,

Small shrinkage is good. Your immune system, once activated, needs to grow the CD4+ and CD8+ T-cells to fight the cancer, It needs to shift the balance from tolarence to activation. Once activated, it needs to grow the T-cells faster than the growth of the tumors. It takes time. about  Anywhere  from 250 days to 500.  The T-cells need to infiltrate the tumor's microenviroment and kill the tumor cells. Once killed, the phagocytes come in and clear the cell debris.

Warm Regards

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                      Participant

Kevin,

Small shrinkage is good. Your immune system, once activated, needs to grow the CD4+ and CD8+ T-cells to fight the cancer, It needs to shift the balance from tolarence to activation. Once activated, it needs to grow the T-cells faster than the growth of the tumors. It takes time. about  Anywhere  from 250 days to 500.  The T-cells need to infiltrate the tumor's microenviroment and kill the tumor cells. Once killed, the phagocytes come in and clear the cell debris.

Warm Regards

Jimmy B

EmilyandMike
                          Participant

Jimmy – just wondering – so would you say Kevin should also do Ipi to help take the brakes off the immune system?  

EmilyandMike
                            Participant

Jimmy – just wondering – so would you say Kevin should also do Ipi to help take the brakes off the immune system?  

ValinMtl
                            Participant

Delighted to hear the good news…may you keep on improving each and every visit.  Val xx

Vermont_Donna
                                Participant

Hi,

Glad for the good news..it really is good news!! I like Jimmy B's explanation of what is happening…makes it very clear, and very hopeful!

Keep up the good work! Sorry that you are doing these trips solo most of the time.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                                  Participant

Hi,

Glad for the good news..it really is good news!! I like Jimmy B's explanation of what is happening…makes it very clear, and very hopeful!

Keep up the good work! Sorry that you are doing these trips solo most of the time.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

ValinMtl
                                  Participant

Delighted to hear the good news…may you keep on improving each and every visit.  Val xx

Lori C
                                    Participant

It's good news Kevin. It's not perfect, it's not exactly what you want to hear but good is good and hang on to that.  It gives you a clear picture that things are moving in the right direction and lots of hope for the future.

Lori

Lori C
                                      Participant

It's good news Kevin. It's not perfect, it's not exactly what you want to hear but good is good and hang on to that.  It gives you a clear picture that things are moving in the right direction and lots of hope for the future.

Lori

jag
                                        Participant

Kevin, keep hanging in there.  Saying prayers for you buddy.

jag
                                          Participant

Kevin, keep hanging in there.  Saying prayers for you buddy.

Jim in Denver
                                            Participant

Thanks for posting, Kevin.  I never cease to be im-pressed by your attitude and spirit.  This sounds like good news – brain clear and nothing new.  I would take that in a heartbeat, even though we all want this evil crap to slow down or stop, if not reverse.  Sending positive thoughts.

Best,

Jim

Laurie from maine
                                                Participant

Kevin,

Any shrinkage is good shrinkage!  You are doing great and have such a great attitude.  Thank you so much for posting I pray for you and watch for your posts, thank you for posting and keeping us informed.

Keep us updated – positive prayers and thoughts going your way!!!

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                  Participant

Kevin,

Any shrinkage is good shrinkage!  You are doing great and have such a great attitude.  Thank you so much for posting I pray for you and watch for your posts, thank you for posting and keeping us informed.

Keep us updated – positive prayers and thoughts going your way!!!

laurie from maine

Jim in Denver
                                                  Participant

Thanks for posting, Kevin.  I never cease to be im-pressed by your attitude and spirit.  This sounds like good news – brain clear and nothing new.  I would take that in a heartbeat, even though we all want this evil crap to slow down or stop, if not reverse.  Sending positive thoughts.

Best,

Jim

Suzan AB
                                                    Participant

Okie Dolkie Kevin…Here it is just for you…Drum Roll Please….Suzan AB doing the Happy Dance,,,uh-huh…deedumdee…Happy Dance for You….(I am singng now…some say the sound is more like screeching…but hey it sounds great in my head…lalalalalaa)   May the Swartz be With You and May Your Light Saber be Sharp!!!

Right Arm and Rock On!

Suzan AB

Suzan AB
                                                      Participant

Okie Dolkie Kevin…Here it is just for you…Drum Roll Please….Suzan AB doing the Happy Dance,,,uh-huh…deedumdee…Happy Dance for You….(I am singng now…some say the sound is more like screeching…but hey it sounds great in my head…lalalalalaa)   May the Swartz be With You and May Your Light Saber be Sharp!!!

Right Arm and Rock On!

Suzan AB

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics