The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Full 13 months on Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community Full 13 months on Zelboraf

Participant

I officially start my 14th month on Zelboraf.Thank God that I am B-raf +.This drug is a lifesaver for me and so many more.Dealing with the side effects for me has been tolerable.They do sort of come and go as I contiue with"Z".I aim to be a glimmer of hope to many stage 4 fighters.I have been following the posts of Dick who is going on 31 months of "Z" and still counting.Hang in there.They will find a cure.Meanwhie never forget to thank God and live. Beat the Beast.  Al

I officially start my 14th month on Zelboraf.Thank God that I am B-raf +.This drug is a lifesaver for me and so many more.Dealing with the side effects for me has been tolerable.They do sort of come and go as I contiue with"Z".I aim to be a glimmer of hope to many stage 4 fighters.I have been following the posts of Dick who is going on 31 months of "Z" and still counting.Hang in there.They will find a cure.Meanwhie never forget to thank God and live. Beat the Beast.  Al

Viewing 44 reply threads
    • Replies
        kpcollins31
        Participant

Nice work, Al. Keep it up.

Kevin

kpcollins31
          Participant

Kevin

kpcollins31
            Participant

Kevin

WayneG
              Participant

Great report Al!  "Z" has been a miracle drug for me as well…finishing up 6 months with excellent results.  I agree, there will be a cure and I am thanking God the melanoma was "revealed" when it was and at a time when "Z" is available.

Wayne

Stage IV

Anonymous
                  Inactive

Dear Esther! 

I would like your help asks it.

Zelboraf side effect,gastric pain,nausea.there is an experience for you?

Thank you

Hi:Helga

Anonymous
                    Inactive

Dear Esther! 

Thank you

Anonymous
                      Inactive

Dear Esther! 

Thank you

WayneG
                      Participant

Great report Al!  "Z" has been a miracle drug for me as well…finishing up 6 months with excellent results.  I agree, there will be a cure and I am thanking God the melanoma was "revealed" when it was and at a time when "Z" is available.

Wayne

Stage IV

WayneG
                        Participant

Wayne

Stage IV

awillett1991
                          Participant
                            Great news Al! We participated in Miles for Melanoma this weekend. Tim T spoke and said he truly believes that in 5 years half of all people with melanoma could be cured. Praying that we can ALL can be cured.

I am 13 days off Z and for the first time in almost 6 months I thought something tasted spicy. My husband said I sounded like our picky eating teenager!! I realized it was Zel – or lack thereof. 😉

I’m so glad you continue to post, it really helped motivate me during my trip thru all the Side Zeffects.

Amy

awillett1991
                            Participant
                              Great news Al! We participated in Miles for Melanoma this weekend. Tim T spoke and said he truly believes that in 5 years half of all people with melanoma could be cured. Praying that we can ALL can be cured.

I am 13 days off Z and for the first time in almost 6 months I thought something tasted spicy. My husband said I sounded like our picky eating teenager!! I realized it was Zel – or lack thereof. 😉

I’m so glad you continue to post, it really helped motivate me during my trip thru all the Side Zeffects.

Amy

awillett1991
                              Participant

Amy

dellriol
                                Participant

That's good news! It's so encouraging to hear from others doing well on zelboraf.  And the advances in melanoma treatment are unbelievable! When I had my primary in 2005 there was like….maybe interferon for advanced cases, radiation and chemo that probably wouldn't do much….Now there is actually HOPE!

dellriol
                                  Participant

That's good news! It's so encouraging to hear from others doing well on zelboraf.  And the advances in melanoma treatment are unbelievable! When I had my primary in 2005 there was like….maybe interferon for advanced cases, radiation and chemo that probably wouldn't do much….Now there is actually HOPE!

dellriol
                                    Participant

Linny
                                      Participant

I'm SO glad to hear the good news Al! I hope that you, "Z", and NED remain the best of friends. yes

Linny
                                        Participant

I'm SO glad to hear the good news Al! I hope that you, "Z", and NED remain the best of friends. yes

Linny
                                          Participant

AllyNTAus
                                            Participant

Al great news, and I also follow both yours and Dick's progress on Z, it is a great encouragement as a fellow BRAF+ person – I believe my BRAF inhibitor is saving my life too

Ally

AllyNTAus
                                              Participant

Al great news, and I also follow both yours and Dick's progress on Z, it is a great encouragement as a fellow BRAF+ person – I believe my BRAF inhibitor is saving my life too

Ally

AllyNTAus
                                                Participant

Ally

H555
                                                  Participant
                                                    Outstanding news. I love seeing people here report such success with Z. I just finished month 6 an I’m down to to one met under 10mm in my left lung. Congratulations !
                                                    H555
                                                    Participant
                                                      Outstanding news. I love seeing people here report such success with Z. I just finished month 6 an I’m down to to one met under 10mm in my left lung. Congratulations !
                                                      H555
                                                      Participant
                                                        joebronze54
                                                        Participant

I am a 3b patient and haven't started any treatment yet. All that i have heard about is either interferon or the clinical study of Yervoy. These two seem to be the go too drug. I am very interested in this zelboraf drug. Could you give me an idea which institutions offer this. I am heading to Sloan in NYC at the end of the month and was hoping that that might be an option. Still confused and still grasping for answers

joebronze54
                                                          Participant

I am a 3b patient and haven't started any treatment yet. All that i have heard about is either interferon or the clinical study of Yervoy. These two seem to be the go too drug. I am very interested in this zelboraf drug. Could you give me an idea which institutions offer this. I am heading to Sloan in NYC at the end of the month and was hoping that that might be an option. Still confused and still grasping for answers

aldakota22
                                                              Participant

To aswr your question on "Z".It is FDA approved and any oncologist  can prescribe it .The one criteria is tha you were tested and found to be B-raf  +.  Sloan ketering docs can fill you in and on thetetment optionsyou have. Keep us posted on your treament.Will keep you in my prayers.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                                                                Participant

To aswr your question on "Z".It is FDA approved and any oncologist  can prescribe it .The one criteria is tha you were tested and found to be B-raf  +.  Sloan ketering docs can fill you in and on thetetment optionsyou have. Keep us posted on your treament.Will keep you in my prayers.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                                                                  Participant

Linny
                                                                    Participant

Zelboraf is available only for those who are Stage IV patients and have a BRAF mutation in their tumor. For Stage IIIB there aren't many options yet. But there may be some trials for which you may qualify. If there are, rest assured your doctor at Sloan will know about them. 

Interferon is not being used as much as it was in the past. Some folks experience some pretty bad side effects from it. When I was given my options, interferon was mentioned and I was shocked to learn that it didn't offer that much of an advantage over "watch and wait".

But whether you choose it is up to you. Some folks don't want to give up a year of their lives dealing with the side effects while others don't feel comfortable doing nothing.

Linny
                                                                      Participant

Zelboraf is available only for those who are Stage IV patients and have a BRAF mutation in their tumor. For Stage IIIB there aren't many options yet. But there may be some trials for which you may qualify. If there are, rest assured your doctor at Sloan will know about them. 

Interferon is not being used as much as it was in the past. Some folks experience some pretty bad side effects from it. When I was given my options, interferon was mentioned and I was shocked to learn that it didn't offer that much of an advantage over "watch and wait".

But whether you choose it is up to you. Some folks don't want to give up a year of their lives dealing with the side effects while others don't feel comfortable doing nothing.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                        Participant

Linny,

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OfficeofMedicalProductsandTobacco/CDER/ucm268301.htm

does not totally limit Zelboraf to stage IV patients. 

Vemurafenib

On August 17, 2011, the U. S. Food and Drug Administration approved vemurafenib tablets (ZELBORAF, Hoffmann-La Roche Inc.) for the treatment of patients with unresectable or metastatic melanoma with the BRAFV600E mutation as detected by an FDA-approved test. 

If ones Stage III tumor is in such a location that the surgeon says it is too dangerous to total try surgical removal, then it is considered unresectable.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                          Participant

Linny,

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OfficeofMedicalProductsandTobacco/CDER/ucm268301.htm

Vemurafenib

On August 17, 2011, the U. S. Food and Drug Administration approved vemurafenib tablets (ZELBORAF, Hoffmann-La Roche Inc.) for the treatment of patients with unresectable or metastatic melanoma with the BRAFV600E mutation as detected by an FDA-approved test. 

If ones Stage III tumor is in such a location that the surgeon says it is too dangerous to total try surgical removal, then it is considered unresectable.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                            Participant

Linny,

Vemurafenib

Linny
                                                                              Participant

Wow. Thanks, Jerry. I appreciate you mentioning this.

Linny
                                                                                Participant

Linny
                                                                                  Participant

Linny
                                                                                    Participant

joebronze54
                                                                                    Participant

Richard_K
                                                                                      Participant

Hey Al, I can feel you breathing down my neck.  Keep it up!

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                        Participant

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                          Participant

Dick

Kellie-T
                                                                                            Participant

Great news Al! I just had scans on Friday and love the second page "no evidence of metastatic disease present". I've been on Zelboraf since February and I agree with you, the side effects are quite manageable. Heck, the day after scans I did a two hour charity Zumba-thon at our local college. Loving life!

Kellie-T
                                                                                              Participant

Great news Al! I just had scans on Friday and love the second page "no evidence of metastatic disease present". I've been on Zelboraf since February and I agree with you, the side effects are quite manageable. Heck, the day after scans I did a two hour charity Zumba-thon at our local college. Loving life!

Kellie-T
                                                                                                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                  Participant

I remember when the main talk was that after a matter of months 50% of responders, stopped responding.  Even though not a B-Raf person, I wondered about the other 50%  of responders.  By my way of thinking anything that buys time is a step forward and if 50% of Melanoma patients have B-Raf, and 50% of those respond to Zelboraf and 50% of those have a lenthy or complete response then we have reached a new high of 12.5% of Stage IV melanoma patients that just might survive this disease from one type of treatment alone.  We're creeping up on answers!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                    Participant

I remember when the main talk was that after a matter of months 50% of responders, stopped responding.  Even though not a B-Raf person, I wondered about the other 50%  of responders.  By my way of thinking anything that buys time is a step forward and if 50% of Melanoma patients have B-Raf, and 50% of those respond to Zelboraf and 50% of those have a lenthy or complete response then we have reached a new high of 12.5% of Stage IV melanoma patients that just might survive this disease from one type of treatment alone.  We're creeping up on answers!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                      Participant

meldad
                                                                                                        Participant

Al, what great news!!!

I've been following your progess for a long time now. Your post's continue to give me and sooo many other's hope!

My dad has been on Zelboraf since June 2012, on days I feel anxious I log onto this board looking for post's by yourself and Dick.

Thank you for keeping us all updated and sharing your good news!

meldad
                                                                                                          Participant

Al, what great news!!!

I've been following your progess for a long time now. Your post's continue to give me and sooo many other's hope!

My dad has been on Zelboraf since June 2012, on days I feel anxious I log onto this board looking for post's by yourself and Dick.

meldad
                                                                                                            Participant

Al, what great news!!!

Tina D
                                                                                                              Participant

I just love seeing thses milemarkers pass for you! Rejoicing with you as you celebrate and thanking God for the life He continues to bless you with ! And, yes, you cetainly help others who follow along to have hope!

Thanks for posting!!

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                                Participant

I just love seeing thses milemarkers pass for you! Rejoicing with you as you celebrate and thanking God for the life He continues to bless you with ! And, yes, you cetainly help others who follow along to have hope!

Thanks for posting!!

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks for posting!!

Tina

Mickey n Jo
                                                                                                                      Participant

Al, wonderful news!  You give us all hope.

Mickey n Jo
                                                                                                                        Participant

Mickey n Jo
                                                                                                                          Participant

Retired41505
                                                                                                                          Participant

Awesome news! My son in law has been on Z since June 2012. He is stage IV. Started with 14 lesions in the brain. Last MRI shows 6 measureable lesions. This drug has been a miracle and provided hope for many.

Keep fighting the fight. My good thoughts and prayers to each of you!

Retired41505
                                                                                                                            Participant

Awesome news! My son in law has been on Z since June 2012. He is stage IV. Started with 14 lesions in the brain. Last MRI shows 6 measureable lesions. This drug has been a miracle and provided hope for many.

Retired41505
                                                                                                                              Participant

NYKaren
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                    Al, that’s fantastic news. I’m really happy for you.
                                                                                                                                    Take good care,
                                                                                                                                    karen
                                                                                                                                    NYKaren
                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                      Take good care,
                                                                                                                                      karen
                                                                                                                                      NYKaren
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        Take good care,
                                                                                                                                        karen
                                                                                                                                      Mike. C
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Just found this site and am so glad to hear the positive news about Z! I have Stage 4 and have had 2 craniotomies over the past 8 months to remove tumors and I have been been on Z for 4 1/2 months.  Good Luck to all and keep up the positive news and keep fighting the fight!

Mike. C
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Just found this site and am so glad to hear the positive news about Z! I have Stage 4 and have had 2 craniotomies over the past 8 months to remove tumors and I have been been on Z for 4 1/2 months.  Good Luck to all and keep up the positive news and keep fighting the fight!

Mike. C
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 44 reply threads
                                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics