The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

First Dr visit after Braf/Mek drugs

Forums General Melanoma Community First Dr visit after Braf/Mek drugs

Participant
      Just had my first Dr visit after 2 weeks on the braftovi/Mektovi combo. Since my next scan isn’t till December, the doctor said they measure effectiveness of drugs by the LDH levels. Well my LDH levels dropped from over 3000 to 600 in 2 weeks and my liver with over 100 lesions on it was pain free even when Dr Weber was pushing on it fairly hard. I actually feel great and would say I am at about 95% except for some minor rashes that itch a little. Just hope this keeps up! I am hoping these tumors disappear as quick as they appeared. Good luck to everyone on the board and you guys are a real inspiration to me, thanks.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Wonderful news!!!! Keep rock’n it out! Thanks for sharing! Celeste
          Summer S.
          Participant
            That is amazing, am so happy for you! I hope this combo continues to work great stuff for you.

We started the Braf/Mek combo 10 days ago and aside from fever, I think it is doing its job.

We are in this together, stay strong!

chrispl1974
            Participant
              I wish you all the best. I have been taking BRAF and MEK adjuvant therapy for 9 month now with 3 month to go.

I am stage 3A and I hope this will help to keep me in remission for good.

I have heard amazing stories in Level IV patients and my physicians tell me that there is a considerable percentage of patient where we can talk about a cure.

The urban myth that after 7-9 months the medication always stops working is simply not true !

Keep well

Chris

mrhubahuba
                Participant
                  Thanks Chris, the 7-9 month scenario did concern me but I learned when I got this, no sense worrying over things we can’t change. I am curious why you are on the Braf drugs when you are only stage 3. I was under the impression it was for only stage 4 situations. I was in immunotherapy when I was stage 3 but it obviously didn’t work.

Cheers
                  John

gopher38
                  Participant
                    I’m interested in when they’d use BRAF drugs also. I’m stage 4, but no internal organs detected yet (spread to multiple distant skin sites). As we were waiting for my BRAF results, my last onc said that, if it was positive, we’d probably look at targeted drugs as the next step. We also had a option of combo, since we had already learned that I was only getting opdivo in my trial. I switched recently to a new onc/clinic, and that guy’s suggestion right away was to try to combo (which agreed with my understanding of what the “traditional” next step would be). He said that, given I have essentially zero tumor burden, one of BRAF’s advantages wouldn’t be in play, and immunotherapy has generally longer term results, so it made sense to wait with BRAF. The new guy’s analysis made more sense to me, but wondering if the other idea has proponents also.
                    Bubbles
                    Participant
                      Targeted therapy with a BRAF/MEK combo (for BRAF positive patients) is often employed when there is a high tumor burden. We know that responses to immunotherapy tend to be more durable (lating) than targeted therapy (though there are those like RichardK on this forum who have been maintained on targeted therapy for years) but take time~ time that folks with a very high tumor burden may not have. Here is a report in which “choosing” your poison is discussed: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2019/09/melanoma-patients-want-to-know-what-do.html

Melanoma always gotta be complicated – right????!!! Wishing all of you my best. Celeste

jbronicki
                    Participant
                      That’s the kind of news we like to hear around here! Wishing you continued good news throughout your treatment!
                      jbronicki
                      Participant
                        That’s the kind of news we like to hear around here! Wishing you continued good news throughout your treatment!
                        sandyd77
                        Participant
                          This is such good news. I hope it continues for you! It is also very encouraging for those who may be faced with the option of braf/mek. Good Luck!

Sandy D

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics