The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Finally!! Here we go with B-RAF/MEK

Forums General Melanoma Community Finally!! Here we go with B-RAF/MEK

Participant

After a verrrry long 10 weeks of PET scans, biopsies, CT's, MRI's, ECHO's, EKG's and many blood draws I am finally starting my new trial.  After having ipi fail me and testing positive for a gene change (much to the excitement of my Dr.  – still not sure how excited I am) I now start  the B-RAF/MEK combo.   Here's hoping that it works because I am really tired of being poked and prodded.    I swear I don't know how some of you stay sane!

After a verrrry long 10 weeks of PET scans, biopsies, CT's, MRI's, ECHO's, EKG's and many blood draws I am finally starting my new trial.  After having ipi fail me and testing positive for a gene change (much to the excitement of my Dr.  – still not sure how excited I am) I now start  the B-RAF/MEK combo.   Here's hoping that it works because I am really tired of being poked and prodded.    I swear I don't know how some of you stay sane! 🙂  I know why you do it – believe me I get it, but sometimes this process really pisses me off.  So I'm putting on my big girl undies and do what I have to do win this war!  

Now enough of my whining – Any input from anyone who is on the B-RAF/MEK – I would love to hear from you.   Many of you out there have posted amazing stories on this forum and might I say THANK YOU!   It really makes it easier to live in this world  when you know you are not the only one out there fighting the fight and surviving all the odds.  It's a impressive bunch.

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Dawn,

I wish you all the luck in the world  that you are a responder.

Please keep us posted with your experience with the braf/mek trial.

I think everyone would like to her about your experience, particulary, side effects, & positive results etc.

How many pills do you take & dosage??? What side effects did the doctor tell you others have had on this trial? When did the doc says you could see shrinkage??

God Bless…..and keep your fighting spirit….you're great!!

Amy-stage 3

KellieSue
            Participant

Congrats on testing positive.

I just started the B-RAF trial last Wednesday so I've only been one it for one week.

I take 2mg of the B-RAf pill everyday. So far I've only had slight diarrhea some days, but not all. It seems to resolve itself by noon.

I hope we are both responders!

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV currently on B-RAF

dawn dion
              Participant

Keillie – I am a baby at this compared to some if not all of you.   My journey only started in June 2010 and I did 3months of ipi before it came back.   So happy to know that after all you have been through you are still kicking it to the curb. 

Right there with you – we WILL both be RESPONDERS

Hugs and smiles 🙂

Dawn (from Florida) Stage IV currently on B-RAF

dawn dion
                Participant

Keillie – I am a baby at this compared to some if not all of you.   My journey only started in June 2010 and I did 3months of ipi before it came back.   So happy to know that after all you have been through you are still kicking it to the curb. 

Right there with you – we WILL both be RESPONDERS

Hugs and smiles 🙂

Dawn (from Florida) Stage IV currently on B-RAF

KellieSue
                  Participant

Congrats on testing positive.

I just started the B-RAF trial last Wednesday so I've only been one it for one week.

I take 2mg of the B-RAf pill everyday. So far I've only had slight diarrhea some days, but not all. It seems to resolve itself by noon.

I hope we are both responders!

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV currently on B-RAF

dawn dion
                    Participant

Thanks so much!   As of 9PM tonight I will be taking 2 pills 150 mg each twice a day.    As far as side effects – There could be some nasty ones but they expect them to be minimal –  sunburn like rash, acne rash, fever, fatigue.  I'm hoping they are right.   Didn't really say when I would see shrinkage – since mine is in the lymph node of my lung I will have to wait until my next set of scans on April 28th.    However I have seen some others who have seen rapid shrinkage with in the first two weeks.   Mine is a rather small spot and thankfully only one so hopefully when I go for scans it will be GONE and good riddance.  I will post as my experience goes on, kind of interested to see myself.

dawn dion
                      Participant

Thanks so much!   As of 9PM tonight I will be taking 2 pills 150 mg each twice a day.    As far as side effects – There could be some nasty ones but they expect them to be minimal –  sunburn like rash, acne rash, fever, fatigue.  I'm hoping they are right.   Didn't really say when I would see shrinkage – since mine is in the lymph node of my lung I will have to wait until my next set of scans on April 28th.    However I have seen some others who have seen rapid shrinkage with in the first two weeks.   Mine is a rather small spot and thankfully only one so hopefully when I go for scans it will be GONE and good riddance.  I will post as my experience goes on, kind of interested to see myself.

dawn dion
                        Participant

sorry I mis-spoke on my dosage I do 1 pill at 1mg once a day and the other at 150mg twice a day.

dawn dion
                          Participant

sorry I mis-spoke on my dosage I do 1 pill at 1mg once a day and the other at 150mg twice a day.

killmel
                          Participant

Dawn,

I wish you all the luck in the world  that you are a responder.

Please keep us posted with your experience with the braf/mek trial.

I think everyone would like to her about your experience, particulary, side effects, & positive results etc.

How many pills do you take & dosage??? What side effects did the doctor tell you others have had on this trial? When did the doc says you could see shrinkage??

God Bless…..and keep your fighting spirit….you're great!!

Amy-stage 3

Lisa – Aust
                            Participant

Hi There!

My boyfriend Craig recently started the GSK B-RAF/MEK trial. He started 3 weeks ago and everything has been good so far, the only sympts he has had is burning/sensitive hands and feet (feet particularly), joint pain and some warty looking skin lesions. They have definitely subsided though over the 3 weeks. Saw the onc on wed for 3 week check up and all was fine – if the sympts were too harsh then he would have lowered his dose, but no need. I think its also a toxicity issue. The only small thing that you may need to consider is the timing of the tablets – its a non issue really in the whole scheme of things but it requires a little adjustment – not being able to eat 2 hrs before and 1 hr after. But its pretty easy to manage – just need to be slightly more organised than we are!! 

So yeah, let us know how you go and if you have any questions, Craig has a scan in 3 weeks so should know more then.

Good luck

Lisa – Aust

dawn dion
                                Participant

Lisa

I will be thinking of you both during this wacky roller coaster ride – I hope that he responds well.  I am defiantly glad to hear that the symptoms have been mild.  So far after 3 days I am feeling pretty good.   Every time I take my pills I think to myself  be gone with you melanoma be gone.     You are right about the time thing.  Got up this morning a hour and a half after I was supposed to have taken my pills.  I guess we will find what works as time goes on but I know what you mean about being more organized about it – it's really hard on the weekends though.  Just never know what you will be doing when.

Best of luck to you – please keep in touch – Again it's nice to know that there is someone else out there even if you never meet them face to face.   I'll will be thinking of you.

Until next time

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn (Stage IV – Florida)

dawn dion
                                  Participant

Lisa

I will be thinking of you both during this wacky roller coaster ride – I hope that he responds well.  I am defiantly glad to hear that the symptoms have been mild.  So far after 3 days I am feeling pretty good.   Every time I take my pills I think to myself  be gone with you melanoma be gone.     You are right about the time thing.  Got up this morning a hour and a half after I was supposed to have taken my pills.  I guess we will find what works as time goes on but I know what you mean about being more organized about it – it's really hard on the weekends though.  Just never know what you will be doing when.

Best of luck to you – please keep in touch – Again it's nice to know that there is someone else out there even if you never meet them face to face.   I'll will be thinking of you.

Until next time

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn (Stage IV – Florida)

Lisa – Aust
                                  Participant

Hi There!

My boyfriend Craig recently started the GSK B-RAF/MEK trial. He started 3 weeks ago and everything has been good so far, the only sympts he has had is burning/sensitive hands and feet (feet particularly), joint pain and some warty looking skin lesions. They have definitely subsided though over the 3 weeks. Saw the onc on wed for 3 week check up and all was fine – if the sympts were too harsh then he would have lowered his dose, but no need. I think its also a toxicity issue. The only small thing that you may need to consider is the timing of the tablets – its a non issue really in the whole scheme of things but it requires a little adjustment – not being able to eat 2 hrs before and 1 hr after. But its pretty easy to manage – just need to be slightly more organised than we are!! 

So yeah, let us know how you go and if you have any questions, Craig has a scan in 3 weeks so should know more then.

Good luck

Lisa – Aust

deffk1105
                                    Participant

Hi Dawn –

I had to reply when i saw your post.  I also started the BRAF/MEK combo trial at Moffit (Dr. Kudchadkar) – looks like the day before you (3/2/11). Good luck to you!!!

Kate (Wisconsin)

dawn dion
                                        Participant

GET OUTT!!!  Same Dr. and everything.  Not that I would wish this on anybody – but Thank god – somebody to ride the train with.   I would have started on the 2nd but I throw a fit about having to be there only on Thursdays – I have tons of committments with my kids the rest of the week.    We will definetly have to share the journey – maybe we will run into each other.     Best of Luck – let me know how you are doing.  Here's hoping this is the one that finishes this off.

dawn dion
                                          Participant

GET OUTT!!!  Same Dr. and everything.  Not that I would wish this on anybody – but Thank god – somebody to ride the train with.   I would have started on the 2nd but I throw a fit about having to be there only on Thursdays – I have tons of committments with my kids the rest of the week.    We will definetly have to share the journey – maybe we will run into each other.     Best of Luck – let me know how you are doing.  Here's hoping this is the one that finishes this off.

deffk1105
                                          Participant

Hi Dawn –

I had to reply when i saw your post.  I also started the BRAF/MEK combo trial at Moffit (Dr. Kudchadkar) – looks like the day before you (3/2/11). Good luck to you!!!

Kate (Wisconsin)

mrsmarilyn
                                            Participant

Hey Dawn!  Add one more to the BRAF/MEK train!  My brother has been on Braf alone for 9 months – it eliminated 6 out of 7 tumors!  One left in his pelvic area-so at Sara Cannon, Nashville, he just started the Braf/MEK combo!  Lets keep in touch – you are in a good spot after I know alot of hassle.  He went through the same process before getting on Braf (GSK).  Anyone feel free to contact me direct – and I am hopeful on this treatment-as the Braf alone was really a miracle!

6 down – 1 to go!

Best of luck and we will look forward to a celebration!

MrsMarilyn

Sister of Gary (stage IV)

dawn dion
                                                Participant

Oh Yea! – I hate that any of us are doing this, but I am feeling much less lonely now.   Thankfully, unless it has changed in the last week, I only have one rather small spot, so I am feeling very positive.     I posted earlier that I am not relying on this alone – making major changes to my diet and health over all – starting massage and yoga next week.   Because, I have read that this has a lot  to do with your immune system so I am going down as many avenues as I can.   It's a shame that I had to become a Stage IV melanoma to do that for myself – but better late than never I guess.   It certainly can't hurt me at this point.

Please keep me updated on your brothers progress.   I am hopeful for all of us – and yes we will Celebrate!

Until next time we chat

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn (stage IV, Florida)

dawn dion
                                                  Participant

Oh Yea! – I hate that any of us are doing this, but I am feeling much less lonely now.   Thankfully, unless it has changed in the last week, I only have one rather small spot, so I am feeling very positive.     I posted earlier that I am not relying on this alone – making major changes to my diet and health over all – starting massage and yoga next week.   Because, I have read that this has a lot  to do with your immune system so I am going down as many avenues as I can.   It's a shame that I had to become a Stage IV melanoma to do that for myself – but better late than never I guess.   It certainly can't hurt me at this point.

Please keep me updated on your brothers progress.   I am hopeful for all of us – and yes we will Celebrate!

Until next time we chat

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn (stage IV, Florida)

mrsmarilyn
                                                  Participant

Hey Dawn!  Add one more to the BRAF/MEK train!  My brother has been on Braf alone for 9 months – it eliminated 6 out of 7 tumors!  One left in his pelvic area-so at Sara Cannon, Nashville, he just started the Braf/MEK combo!  Lets keep in touch – you are in a good spot after I know alot of hassle.  He went through the same process before getting on Braf (GSK).  Anyone feel free to contact me direct – and I am hopeful on this treatment-as the Braf alone was really a miracle!

6 down – 1 to go!

Best of luck and we will look forward to a celebration!

MrsMarilyn

Sister of Gary (stage IV)

LynnLuc
                                                    Participant

Hoping you sll grest responses in this trial!!!-Lynn

LynnLuc
                                                      Participant

Hoping you sll grest responses in this trial!!!-Lynn

NJW
                                                        Participant

Such an encouragement reading your reports…..Thank you so much.

My son has been diagnosed with Melanoma stage 4, and has just started treatments

in California.  Tumors on his heart, lungs, lympnodes and groin.  He is completely

incompacitated because ot bleeding tumors, plus pain. Treatment started 1-2 wk ago and

already tumors (golf balls) on groin have shrunk.  Great news for him and us all…

We want to get him back to Florida and the family when he can travel.  Is there a

hospital/Drs in central Florida (N.Orlando) where they are having BRAF trials?

You have been such a boost to this  frightened Mom. Thanks again-NJW

NJW
                                                          Participant

Such an encouragement reading your reports…..Thank you so much.

My son has been diagnosed with Melanoma stage 4, and has just started treatments

in California.  Tumors on his heart, lungs, lympnodes and groin.  He is completely

incompacitated because ot bleeding tumors, plus pain. Treatment started 1-2 wk ago and

already tumors (golf balls) on groin have shrunk.  Great news for him and us all…

We want to get him back to Florida and the family when he can travel.  Is there a

hospital/Drs in central Florida (N.Orlando) where they are having BRAF trials?

You have been such a boost to this  frightened Mom. Thanks again-NJW

shellebrownies
                                                            Participant

Hoping like heck that my husband will be joining you all soon. I have heard great things about this trial. Best of luck to you all!

Michelle, wife of Don, Stage IV

shellebrownies
                                                              Participant

Hoping like heck that my husband will be joining you all soon. I have heard great things about this trial. Best of luck to you all!

Michelle, wife of Don, Stage IV

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics