The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

donate body for melanoma research

Forums General Melanoma Community donate body for melanoma research

Participant

Hi,

I have been told there is nothing left they can do.  I have been thru a lot and agree that we have tried everthing

I have a question I am hoping to have my body donated to medical research hoping it can help others in the future.(my body is full of tumors and I would assume they would be useful)   I am having a hard time finding  a list a website or something that will guide me as to how start the process of getting applications done so I can give them to the funeral home,  so that it is all set for when the time comes. 

Hi,

I have been told there is nothing left they can do.  I have been thru a lot and agree that we have tried everthing

I have a question I am hoping to have my body donated to medical research hoping it can help others in the future.(my body is full of tumors and I would assume they would be useful)   I am having a hard time finding  a list a website or something that will guide me as to how start the process of getting applications done so I can give them to the funeral home,  so that it is all set for when the time comes. 

hard subject but I am hopeful that my death at least brings some help to others

Thank you all for your help.  I have benefitted so much for everyones knowledge, kindness and truly family type caring.

Stay strong everyone!  You are all warriors!! 

I am taking the time I now have to enjoy every moment that I get to be here with family and friends

Thank you to anyone who has information about donating your body. My doctor had no information

Thank you

Laurie from maine

Viewing 41 reply threads
    • Replies
        emilypen
        Participant

Hi Laurie,

I'm so sorry to hear your news. My heart goes with you on the journey.

When my husband received the same news we too, looked into donating his body, and found that because of the multitude of treatments he had undergone, medical researchers could not use it. There is no way for them to know what drugs/treatments had what effects on the cancer.

However we did find that we could donate pre-treatment biopsy material and slides. You could check with your dr about any clinical trials you've been on and if they would like a post death biopsy but for the most case whatever sample you provided in order to qualify now belong to the trial drug company.

Alternately, check with a medical school in your area, they may be acceptin donations.

May you at peace.

Emily

emilypen
          Participant

Hi Laurie,

When my husband received the same news we too, looked into donating his body, and found that because of the multitude of treatments he had undergone, medical researchers could not use it. There is no way for them to know what drugs/treatments had what effects on the cancer.

However we did find that we could donate pre-treatment biopsy material and slides. You could check with your dr about any clinical trials you've been on and if they would like a post death biopsy but for the most case whatever sample you provided in order to qualify now belong to the trial drug company.

Alternately, check with a medical school in your area, they may be acceptin donations.

May you at peace.

Emily

emilypen
            Participant

Hi Laurie,

May you at peace.

Emily

Liz C
              Participant

Hi, Laurie.

What a wonderful, selfless act. Your contribution will likely train many doctors and save countless lives.

I'm donating my body through Med Cure http://www.medcure.org

God bless you on the next leg of your journey.

–Liz.

Liz C
                Participant

Hi, Laurie.

What a wonderful, selfless act. Your contribution will likely train many doctors and save countless lives.

–Liz.

Liz C
                  Participant

Hi, Laurie.

–Liz.

Fen
                    Participant

What a kind, loving thing to do.  I don't have any information but send you my prayers – for times with your family and friends, for a sense of accomplishment  and peace.  You have helped so many people on the board so I'm not surprised you are still thinking of helping others.  God bless, Laurie.

Fen
                      Participant

What a kind, loving thing to do.  I don't have any information but send you my prayers – for times with your family and friends, for a sense of accomplishment  and peace.  You have helped so many people on the board so I'm not surprised you are still thinking of helping others.  God bless, Laurie.

Fen
                        Participant

Swanee
                          Participant

Laurie,

I love you so much, this news is devastating and I am beyond heart broken…..I can't write right now!

Please know you are in my prayers and I'm holding out for a miracle for you, you've touched so many hearts here!

love always,

Swanee

Swanee
                            Participant

Laurie,

I love you so much, this news is devastating and I am beyond heart broken…..I can't write right now!

Please know you are in my prayers and I'm holding out for a miracle for you, you've touched so many hearts here!

love always,

Swanee

Swanee
                              Participant

Laurie,

love always,

Swanee

kthekhal
                                Participant

Laurie,

It is truly a great selfless act on your part to have such thoughts !

The reason I am replying is this  –  there might be a way to save your life by doing some YOGIC breathing exercises .

I know it is very hard for you to believe it – but you have nothing to lose by trying … and I will teach you as another selfless act on my part…

I live in New Jersey  (stage 3b survivor  – 4.5 years NED and in excellent health ) – I practice Yoga everyday.

Please let me know your thoughts on this…

Regards,

Kish

kthekhal
                                  Participant

Laurie,

The reason I am replying is this  –  there might be a way to save your life by doing some YOGIC breathing exercises .

I know it is very hard for you to believe it – but you have nothing to lose by trying … and I will teach you as another selfless act on my part…

I live in New Jersey  (stage 3b survivor  – 4.5 years NED and in excellent health ) – I practice Yoga everyday.

Regards,

Kish

deardad
                                      Participant

Laurie,

I am sad to hear this news, your contribution to this board has helped and encouraged so many. Enjoy your family. Love and peace to you.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                        Participant

Laurie,

I am sad to hear this news, your contribution to this board has helped and encouraged so many. Enjoy your family. Love and peace to you.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                          Participant

Laurie,

Nahmi from Melbourne

kthekhal
                                          Participant

Laurie,

Regards,

Kish

awillett1991
                                            Participant
                                              No advice but just want to say how amazing and inspiring you are.

Prayers for peace coming your way as well as hope for joy and lots of love with your friends and family.

Amy

awillett1991
                                              Participant

Prayers for peace coming your way as well as hope for joy and lots of love with your friends and family.

Amy

awillett1991
                                                Participant

Amy

JC
                                                  Participant

This is very disheartening, I'm sorry.  Initially Stage I less than 1mm, this is very disheartening.

Vermont_Donna
                                                      Participant

Dear Laurie,

I am stunned to read your post…I have followed you over the years and think very highly of you and your courageousness and also your kind and helpful posts to others. I have often thought that I should look you up when I am in Portland as my daughter goes to college there. 

I am so sorry that there does not seem to be a treatment to help you at this point. I havent been on MPIP as much this past year so I am a bit out of touch. I myself have thought of donating my body to melanoma research or even to a medical school for medical students. My oncologist is at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center so there is a medical school at Dartmouth College and I was going to ask my doctor how to go about arranging for this. perhaps Dr Lawrence at Mass General will have some suggestions if you havent already asked.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Enjoy as much as you can on your jouney and know that here you are treasuered here.

loving hugs,

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                                        Participant

Dear Laurie,

I am stunned to read your post…I have followed you over the years and think very highly of you and your courageousness and also your kind and helpful posts to others. I have often thought that I should look you up when I am in Portland as my daughter goes to college there. 

I am so sorry that there does not seem to be a treatment to help you at this point. I havent been on MPIP as much this past year so I am a bit out of touch. I myself have thought of donating my body to melanoma research or even to a medical school for medical students. My oncologist is at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center so there is a medical school at Dartmouth College and I was going to ask my doctor how to go about arranging for this. perhaps Dr Lawrence at Mass General will have some suggestions if you havent already asked.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Enjoy as much as you can on your jouney and know that here you are treasuered here.

loving hugs,

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                                          Participant

Dear Laurie,

loving hugs,

Vermont_Donna

JC
                                                          Participant

This is very disheartening, I'm sorry.  Initially Stage I less than 1mm, this is very disheartening.

JC
                                                            Participant

triciad
                                                              Participant

Laurie,

I can't believe I'm reading this.  You have been an inspiration over the years.  My heart goes out to you and your family, along with many prayers.  You are an amazing person to think of others at such a time.  I, too, am praying for a miracle!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                Participant

Laurie,

I can't believe I'm reading this.  You have been an inspiration over the years.  My heart goes out to you and your family, along with many prayers.  You are an amazing person to think of others at such a time.  I, too, am praying for a miracle!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                  Participant

Laurie,

Tricia

Charlie S
                                                                    Participant

Hi Laurie, I admire your candor.

None of us are getting out of here alive and for you to offer yourself as a gift so that others may learn from your last mile,  is , well, it is remarkable.

This is also a way that you "win" because you are still in control in an otherwise uncontrollable set of circumstances.  It is also a pragmatic approach and many may think it ugly for me to say, but in addition to your gift, it eliminates most, if not all final expense.

Here is the scoop for Maine residents ONLY.  It is simple and a straightforward process.

http://www.une.edu/com/bodydonor.cfm

Having walked this path with a few people, the only caveat is to make sure your family is on-board……….actually the forms will require it.

My best to you and your family.  Your grace during this troubling time will leave an everlasting legacy of goodness.

If you can………next round is on me; and as always

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                      Participant

None of us are getting out of here alive and for you to offer yourself as a gift so that others may learn from your last mile,  is , well, it is remarkable.

This is also a way that you "win" because you are still in control in an otherwise uncontrollable set of circumstances.  It is also a pragmatic approach and many may think it ugly for me to say, but in addition to your gift, it eliminates most, if not all final expense.

Here is the scoop for Maine residents ONLY.  It is simple and a straightforward process.

Having walked this path with a few people, the only caveat is to make sure your family is on-board……….actually the forms will require it.

My best to you and your family.  Your grace during this troubling time will leave an everlasting legacy of goodness.

Cheers,

Charlie S

POW
                                                                          Participant

Oh, Laurie! I am so sorry to hear this news. Your warmth, grace, and concern for others– even at this difficult time– are a true inspiration. 

Charlie already told you about the donation program at UNE. For others, I suggest you Google "Anatomical Donor Program" and see what's available in your area. 

POW
                                                                            Participant

Oh, Laurie! I am so sorry to hear this news. Your warmth, grace, and concern for others– even at this difficult time– are a true inspiration. 

Charlie already told you about the donation program at UNE. For others, I suggest you Google "Anatomical Donor Program" and see what's available in your area. 

POW
                                                                              Participant

NYKaren
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  Dear Laurie,
                                                                                  I can only add that you are truly a remarkable woman. You have always been kind, warm-hearted and encouraging.
                                                                                  I am privileged to call you friend and I too pray for a miracle.
                                                                                  With love,
                                                                                  Karen
                                                                                  NYKaren
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    Dear Laurie,
                                                                                    I can only add that you are truly a remarkable woman. You have always been kind, warm-hearted and encouraging.
                                                                                    With love,
                                                                                    Karen
                                                                                    NYKaren
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      Dear Laurie,
                                                                                      With love,
                                                                                      Karen
                                                                                    Charlie S
                                                                                    Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

Dear Laurie,
                                                                                      I have followed you for two years and I continue to be inspired by you and your courage and even-paced resolve to do everything you could to kill this beast. I read your thoughts with moist eyes. You darling person, you. I hope it is some consolation that you will kill it when it kills you. It will no longer have a host, and it too will perish soon after it takes you. You never let it conquer your spirit, for it will be with you to your last breath. That spirit of yours is like a candle lighting many others. Your thoughts have helped me no end, and this message is one of the most touching and loving thoughts I have ever read.
                                                                                      I send you my love and admiration.
                                                                                      john murphy
                                                                                      Colorado
                                                                                        vivian
                                                                                        Participant

Dear Laurie,

Thank you for sharing this part of your journey with us, just as you have shared your courageous fight.  You have been an inspiration to so many.   May the rest of your days here on earth be peaceful and full of wonderful times with your family and friends.  

Lear

vivian
                                                                                          Participant

Dear Laurie,

Thank you for sharing this part of your journey with us, just as you have shared your courageous fight.  You have been an inspiration to so many.   May the rest of your days here on earth be peaceful and full of wonderful times with your family and friends.  

Lear

vivian
                                                                                            Participant

Dear Laurie,

Lear

Dear Laurie,
                                                                                            I have followed you for two years and I continue to be inspired by you and your courage and even-paced resolve to do everything you could to kill this beast. I read your thoughts with moist eyes. You darling person, you. I hope it is some consolation that you will kill it when it kills you. It will no longer have a host, and it too will perish soon after it takes you. You never let it conquer your spirit, for it will be with you to your last breath. That spirit of yours is like a candle lighting many others. Your thoughts have helped me no end, and this message is one of the most touching and loving thoughts I have ever read.
                                                                                            john murphy
                                                                                            Colorado
                                                                                            Dear Laurie,
                                                                                            john murphy
                                                                                            Colorado
                                                                                            shellebrownies
                                                                                            Participant

Laurie,

Since it looks like Charlie got you the information you needed, I just wanted to chime in and say thank you for all the lovely posts (and thereby parts of yourself) you've given us over the years. I know your fight was inspirational to Don and I while we were walking this walk.

Praying for your peace and that everything goes as you wish with regard to your wanting to donate your body to help others. 

With love,

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                                                                                              Participant

Laurie,

Since it looks like Charlie got you the information you needed, I just wanted to chime in and say thank you for all the lovely posts (and thereby parts of yourself) you've given us over the years. I know your fight was inspirational to Don and I while we were walking this walk.

Praying for your peace and that everything goes as you wish with regard to your wanting to donate your body to help others. 

With love,

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                                                                                                Participant

Laurie,

With love,

Michelle, wife of Don

Phil S
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    Laurie, I hope you have wonderful, special moments with your family. Thanks so much for sharing your story with us, you are a brave and inspirational warrior! I wish you and your family peace and love in the weeks ahead, God Bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                                                    Phil S
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      Laurie, I hope you have wonderful, special moments with your family. Thanks so much for sharing your story with us, you are a brave and inspirational warrior! I wish you and your family peace and love in the weeks ahead, God Bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                                                      Phil S
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        meeshka6059
                                                                                                        Participant

bless your heart.

with love and light,

~meeshka

meeshka6059
                                                                                                          Participant

bless your heart.

with love and light,

~meeshka

meeshka6059
                                                                                                            Participant

bless your heart.

with love and light,

~meeshka

Swanee
                                                                                                              Participant

Dear Laurie,

You have given so much to this MPIP family and have been such a big  support to me and others  with your words of kindness and  comfort.  You have shown great strength in your battle with melanoma and have lead the way with grace and determination.  Now your final wish to help others is once again so true to your spirit…to find a way to continue helping others and in doing so,  you are the winner in this battle!

I wish you peace and comfort as you take this time now,  to immerse yourself  in the love, warmth and caring hearts of all your family and  friends, reflecting and reliving  wonderful memories made with each of them.  I continue to pray for a miracle for you.  

May blessings of peace, comfort, love and joy be with you and your loved ones as you continue the final leg of your journey.

Swanee 

Swanee
                                                                                                                Participant

Dear Laurie,

You have given so much to this MPIP family and have been such a big  support to me and others  with your words of kindness and  comfort.  You have shown great strength in your battle with melanoma and have lead the way with grace and determination.  Now your final wish to help others is once again so true to your spirit…to find a way to continue helping others and in doing so,  you are the winner in this battle!

I wish you peace and comfort as you take this time now,  to immerse yourself  in the love, warmth and caring hearts of all your family and  friends, reflecting and reliving  wonderful memories made with each of them.  I continue to pray for a miracle for you.  

May blessings of peace, comfort, love and joy be with you and your loved ones as you continue the final leg of your journey.

Swanee 

Swanee
                                                                                                                  Participant

Dear Laurie,

Swanee 

Viewing 41 reply threads
                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics