The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Curcumin

Forums General Melanoma Community Curcumin

Participant

I know lots of folks here take curcumin and I have been considering taking it myself.  Anyone know how much a person should be taking?    Thanks for the info.

Hugs and Smiles

I know lots of folks here take curcumin and I have been considering taking it myself.  Anyone know how much a person should be taking?    Thanks for the info.

Hugs and Smiles

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

If you are on any type of treatment do not take a supplement without checking with your team! 

soniagodwin

[email protected]
              Hi Dear
              How are you today, I hope all is well. My name is  miss sonia, I am very good looking perfect body figure Girl kind,sincere and trusted, God fearing.And,I saw your advert was delighted to contact you, I hope you will be the true loving, honest and caring Man that I have been looking for, And I have something special to tell you about me, So please contact me directly through my private email address at : ([email protected]) so that I can also send my picture directly to you. Remember that love has,no colour barrier, religious,nationality or distance barrier, but love matters most,my happiness,my joy all is in your hands,please don't let me down ok. I will never stop loving you, regards i kiss you, I will be waiting for your response
              ([email protected])

soniagodwin

[email protected]
                Hi Dear
                How are you today, I hope all is well. My name is  miss sonia, I am very good looking perfect body figure Girl kind,sincere and trusted, God fearing.And,I saw your advert was delighted to contact you, I hope you will be the true loving, honest and caring Man that I have been looking for, And I have something special to tell you about me, So please contact me directly through my private email address at : ([email protected]) so that I can also send my picture directly to you. Remember that love has,no colour barrier, religious,nationality or distance barrier, but love matters most,my happiness,my joy all is in your hands,please don't let me down ok. I will never stop loving you, regards i kiss you, I will be waiting for your response
                ([email protected])

lhaley
              Participant

If you are on any type of treatment do not take a supplement without checking with your team! 

Teodora

Hi Dawn,

I am taking one tea spoon full daily, which is approximately the equivalent of two 1000 mg capsules-diluted in a glass of water or added to soups, salads, sauces etc.I read this study  where they proved in lab conditions that  curcumin not only inhibits melanoma cell proliferation and multiplying, but also causes "apoptosis"-namely cell's death.It is a very potent cancer fighting substance with amazing anti-virus and anti-infection properties.I am currently undergoing radiation and I try to avoid spices because one of the side effects is a  diarrhea-but I will resume taking it after finishing treatments.People in India have 20% less cancer than people in the West  because of the inclusion  of Indian spices-cumin, curcumin, ginger etc. in their food regimens.

Teodora

Teodora

Hi Dawn,

I am taking one tea spoon full daily, which is approximately the equivalent of two 1000 mg capsules-diluted in a glass of water or added to soups, salads, sauces etc.I read this study  where they proved in lab conditions that  curcumin not only inhibits melanoma cell proliferation and multiplying, but also causes "apoptosis"-namely cell's death.It is a very potent cancer fighting substance with amazing anti-virus and anti-infection properties.I am currently undergoing radiation and I try to avoid spices because one of the side effects is a  diarrhea-but I will resume taking it after finishing treatments.People in India have 20% less cancer than people in the West  because of the inclusion  of Indian spices-cumin, curcumin, ginger etc. in their food regimens.

Teodora

FormerCaregiver
                    Participant

This is an interesting question. My late wife tried most of the herbs and supplements that
                      have been mentioned in this forum.

What we found was that while many things appear to been effective in theory, they did not
                      seem to do much for reduce existing tumours. We also discovered that what might appear to
                      work in one type of cancer, might not be effective in the fight against melanoma.

Of course, I feel that having a strong immune system is important and that anything that
                      improves immune function should be considered. However, one should be aware of any
                      possible side effects and interactions with the treatment that one might be undergoing.

Here is some info on curcumin:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin#Anticarcinogenic_effects

If you are still doing BRAF/MEK therapy, it would be good to consult your oncologist
                      regarding this topic.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

NicOz
                        Participant

True. It is in my consent form "no herbal remedies" and they mentioned supplements too.

Lisa13
                          Participant

I have been taking 1800mg of curcumin along with 4800mg of IP6/Inositol and many other things. None of these seemed to work for me as I progressed with lung mets.  I do believe that these things are probably very helpful if you're preventing cancer from occuring – not when you already have it. That being said, I'm still taking these products to increase my immune system and to hopefully get some kind of anti cancer benefit (we can always hope). That being said, since starting decarbazine next Friday, I have to stop pretty much anything, except a multi vitamin. My onc. said he doesn't care if I take those, just not the funky stuff they're shipping in from China.

There has been alot of talk about mistletoe and to some degree I do believe it works.  There was a 62 year old man with 2 nodular melanoma's that spread to his liver. He did nothing but mistletoe and after 3 month scans, the liver mets were gone. There is also a woman on this board with brain and lung mets – now NED for 10 years! She used mistletoe and other holistic approaches.

If you're going to war against a deadly enemy, wouldn't you want to use everything you could?

Lisa

NicOz
                            Participant

If you're going to war against a deadly enemy, wouldn't you want to use everything you could?

Because I wouldn't want to run the risk of something inadvertently affecting a drug that's having a good effect so far? Because having had this disease for years, and being well aware of the many supplements being touted lately (ALL of which have been mentioned back in the srchives on here for many years), I've been there, done that, and gotten no result for my trouble? Because not everything that is effective in vitro, is effective in vivo. Because I'd prefer to save my money? Because I'm sick of throwing more tablets than I need down my throat, or having them jabbed in my butt? Because I've heard it all before, and have seen more people die while taking a holistic approach than I've seen cured? Take your pick. No point carrying a gun to war if it only shoots bullets.

Lisa13
                              Participant

Obviously I meant taking these supplements while not being on any treatment. As I mentioned in my post, I will stop taking these on Tuesday as I prepare for chemo on Friday.

I've had this disease since January 2011 and now it's in my lungs – not 1 spot, but 15. I got married 2.5 years ago and just had a daughter 19 months ago, so you can understand MY need to do what I need to do. This disase could wipe me out in months – not years, but I"m going to do everything I can so that my daughter will remember me.  I would never risk that for taking a holistic approach over modern medicine.

Lisa13
                                Participant

Obviously I meant taking these supplements while not being on any treatment. As I mentioned in my post, I will stop taking these on Tuesday as I prepare for chemo on Friday.

I've had this disease since January 2011 and now it's in my lungs – not 1 spot, but 15. I got married 2.5 years ago and just had a daughter 19 months ago, so you can understand MY need to do what I need to do. This disase could wipe me out in months – not years, but I"m going to do everything I can so that my daughter will remember me.  I would never risk that for taking a holistic approach over modern medicine.

kylez
                                  Participant

Is IL-2 being talked about as a treatment option (not just IPI?  or ideally some sequence of both… but I don't know what docs are saying about that these days.)

IL-2 cleared out 8+ lung mets of mine last year as far as they can tell (positively confirmed melanoma via VATS operartion).

kylez
                                    Participant

Is IL-2 being talked about as a treatment option (not just IPI?  or ideally some sequence of both… but I don't know what docs are saying about that these days.)

IL-2 cleared out 8+ lung mets of mine last year as far as they can tell (positively confirmed melanoma via VATS operartion).

kylez
                                      Participant

kylez
                                        Participant

NicOz
                                          Participant

Because I wouldn't want to run the risk of something inadvertently affecting a drug that's having a good effect so far? Because having had this disease for years, and being well aware of the many supplements being touted lately (ALL of which have been mentioned back in the srchives on here for many years), I've been there, done that, and gotten no result for my trouble? Because not everything that is effective in vitro, is effective in vivo. Because I'd prefer to save my money? Because I'm sick of throwing more tablets than I need down my throat, or having them jabbed in my butt? Because I've heard it all before, and have seen more people die while taking a holistic approach than I've seen cured? Take your pick. No point carrying a gun to war if it only shoots bullets.

Teodora

Hi Lisa,

How exactly this misletoe thing works?/how exactly they take it?/ Very interesting.

I would appreciate more information on it.

Teodora

Hi Lisa,

How exactly this misletoe thing works?/how exactly they take it?/ Very interesting.

I would appreciate more information on it.

Lisa13
                                                Participant

I have been taking 1800mg of curcumin along with 4800mg of IP6/Inositol and many other things. None of these seemed to work for me as I progressed with lung mets.  I do believe that these things are probably very helpful if you're preventing cancer from occuring – not when you already have it. That being said, I'm still taking these products to increase my immune system and to hopefully get some kind of anti cancer benefit (we can always hope). That being said, since starting decarbazine next Friday, I have to stop pretty much anything, except a multi vitamin. My onc. said he doesn't care if I take those, just not the funky stuff they're shipping in from China.

There has been alot of talk about mistletoe and to some degree I do believe it works.  There was a 62 year old man with 2 nodular melanoma's that spread to his liver. He did nothing but mistletoe and after 3 month scans, the liver mets were gone. There is also a woman on this board with brain and lung mets – now NED for 10 years! She used mistletoe and other holistic approaches.

Lisa

NicOz
                                                  Participant

True. It is in my consent form "no herbal remedies" and they mentioned supplements too.

JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant

Frank, the Wikipedia cucumin aarticle is iteresting.  I had not seen reports of all the additional curcumin preparations that re being  looked at.

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

Frank, the Wikipedia cucumin aarticle is iteresting.  I had not seen reports of all the additional curcumin preparations that re being  looked at.

JerryfromFauq
                                                        Participant

MichaelFL
                                                          Participant

I had not read that on wiki either, funny how we overlook the obvious. Big pharma will never approve, no real money in it. We are all being scammed.

MichaelFL
                                                            Participant

I had not read that on wiki either, funny how we overlook the obvious. Big pharma will never approve, no real money in it. We are all being scammed.

MichaelFL
                                                              Participant

FormerCaregiver
                                                              Participant

This is an interesting question. My late wife tried most of the herbs and supplements that
                                                                have been mentioned in this forum.

What we found was that while many things appear to been effective in theory, they did not
                                                                seem to do much for reduce existing tumours. We also discovered that what might appear to
                                                                work in one type of cancer, might not be effective in the fight against melanoma.

Of course, I feel that having a strong immune system is important and that anything that
                                                                improves immune function should be considered. However, one should be aware of any
                                                                possible side effects and interactions with the treatment that one might be undergoing.

Here is some info on curcumin:
                                                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin#Anticarcinogenic_effects

If you are still doing BRAF/MEK therapy, it would be good to consult your oncologist
                                                                regarding this topic.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

MichaelFL
                                                                Participant

I am stage 1b, and I plan on staying that way until I kick over from something else. Preferably old age. I take it as do quite a few others here that I am aware of. Having success though is probably an impossible question to answer. As others have said, I believe it is more of a prevention measure rather than a active one.

There are about a dozen clinical trials using curcumin/turmeric with other conditions, such as depression, rheumatoid arthritis and even pancreatic cancer, so that alone convinces me there may be some merit to taking it, not just for melanoma, but for many other conditions as well.

I have been taking this (500mg 2 x a day) now for quite some time and it does not bother me in any way. Since there are about a dozen clinical trials with this so that tells me it is worth taking. More recently, there is evidence that it may have anti-inflammatory and anticancer activities and this has renewed scientific interest in its potential to prevent and treat disease. In addition to its use as a spice and pigment, turmeric has been used in India for medicinal purposes for centuries. I based my decision to take turmeric on the rate in India for the top four cancers, (prostrate, lung, colon & rectum and bladder) which is lower than ours in the U.S., where curcumin is a favorite spice there. You may also wish to research bioperine as it makes the turmeric easier to absorb by the body.

Here is a link for curcumin trials:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=turmeric&recr=Open

Here are a few sites I have posted here in the past concerning curcumin/turmeric.

Science Daily article:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/07/050712232338.htm

ACS: A CANCER TREATMENT IN THE SPICE CABINET

http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/content/full/56/2/67

There has also been a study done by Dr. Aggarwal from MD Anderson Cancer Center, Published August 15, 2005 on the study of curcumin on melanoma cell lines.

You can read about it here:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/110558137/PDFSTART

Something else you may wish to check out is Coq10, which is currently classified as a vitamin supplement that can be bought without a prescription. There are also clinical trials with it as well which involve everything from being Bi-polar, to Parkinson’s disease and more.

Coenzyme Q10 is a natural compound that is essential to the body's natural production of energy. Meat and poultry are the primary sources of CoQ10, but this is also available in a supplemental form. Researchers have found that cancer patients usually have lower levels of CoQ10 than people who do not have cancer.

Both CoQ10 and turmeric are available over the counter and any health food store and even Wal-mart, and are inexpensive. I am sure you are aware that you can Google both and get plenty of information too. You can even do a search here as well as it has been discussed quite a few times on this board. I know there is quite a bit of garbage out there on the net, so you may be best to come to your own conclusions, but of all the garbage I have researched in the past year or so, I think these two may have some merit. Perhaps not just for melanoma, but for general better health.

Also, in case you are not aware CoQ10 has been shown to be effective in the treatment of angina, high blood pressure, sudden heart failure, protecting the heart from surgery induced stress, cardiomyopathy, cardiovascular disease, Parkinson's disease, even migraine headaches, and immune function.

Along with Curcumin/turmeric, there are currently clinical trials involving Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) which involve everything from being Bi-polar, to Parkinson’s disease and more.

Here is a link with Coq10 trials:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=coq10 

Will it all help in the end? Who knows, but the Chinese and the Indians had more advanced cultures than the US and Europe….. and their cancer rate is less than the West's. It is also inexpensive, and to me in relation to melanoma, it sure can't hurt.

Michael

Lisa13
                                                                    Participant

Mistletoe (iscador) is injected in the skin. On the "Roll Call for the Undead" post, a woman has been NED for 10 years after using mistletoe, etc. She had brain and lung mets and decided she wanted to live life rather than go through hell with the treatments offered to her at the time.  I was going to start taking it, but since I'm doing chemo, I don't want to risk it.

Michael, I too have read the study on the curcumin lab results from MD Anderson – which is why it peaked my interest to take it. It bothers my stomach a bit since I have acid reflux and a hiatal hernia, but other than that, I continue to take it.  Melatonin has also had some good benefits as well and has been used with chemo to help with the side effects.  It's all natural.

Lisa13
                                                                      Participant

Mistletoe (iscador) is injected in the skin. On the "Roll Call for the Undead" post, a woman has been NED for 10 years after using mistletoe, etc. She had brain and lung mets and decided she wanted to live life rather than go through hell with the treatments offered to her at the time.  I was going to start taking it, but since I'm doing chemo, I don't want to risk it.

Michael, I too have read the study on the curcumin lab results from MD Anderson – which is why it peaked my interest to take it. It bothers my stomach a bit since I have acid reflux and a hiatal hernia, but other than that, I continue to take it.  Melatonin has also had some good benefits as well and has been used with chemo to help with the side effects.  It's all natural.

MichaelFL
                                                                      Participant

I am stage 1b, and I plan on staying that way until I kick over from something else. Preferably old age. I take it as do quite a few others here that I am aware of. Having success though is probably an impossible question to answer. As others have said, I believe it is more of a prevention measure rather than a active one.

There are about a dozen clinical trials using curcumin/turmeric with other conditions, such as depression, rheumatoid arthritis and even pancreatic cancer, so that alone convinces me there may be some merit to taking it, not just for melanoma, but for many other conditions as well.

I have been taking this (500mg 2 x a day) now for quite some time and it does not bother me in any way. Since there are about a dozen clinical trials with this so that tells me it is worth taking. More recently, there is evidence that it may have anti-inflammatory and anticancer activities and this has renewed scientific interest in its potential to prevent and treat disease. In addition to its use as a spice and pigment, turmeric has been used in India for medicinal purposes for centuries. I based my decision to take turmeric on the rate in India for the top four cancers, (prostrate, lung, colon & rectum and bladder) which is lower than ours in the U.S., where curcumin is a favorite spice there. You may also wish to research bioperine as it makes the turmeric easier to absorb by the body.

Here is a link for curcumin trials:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=turmeric&recr=Open

Here are a few sites I have posted here in the past concerning curcumin/turmeric.

Science Daily article:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/07/050712232338.htm

ACS: A CANCER TREATMENT IN THE SPICE CABINET

http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/content/full/56/2/67

There has also been a study done by Dr. Aggarwal from MD Anderson Cancer Center, Published August 15, 2005 on the study of curcumin on melanoma cell lines.

You can read about it here:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/110558137/PDFSTART

Something else you may wish to check out is Coq10, which is currently classified as a vitamin supplement that can be bought without a prescription. There are also clinical trials with it as well which involve everything from being Bi-polar, to Parkinson’s disease and more.

Coenzyme Q10 is a natural compound that is essential to the body's natural production of energy. Meat and poultry are the primary sources of CoQ10, but this is also available in a supplemental form. Researchers have found that cancer patients usually have lower levels of CoQ10 than people who do not have cancer.

Both CoQ10 and turmeric are available over the counter and any health food store and even Wal-mart, and are inexpensive. I am sure you are aware that you can Google both and get plenty of information too. You can even do a search here as well as it has been discussed quite a few times on this board. I know there is quite a bit of garbage out there on the net, so you may be best to come to your own conclusions, but of all the garbage I have researched in the past year or so, I think these two may have some merit. Perhaps not just for melanoma, but for general better health.

Also, in case you are not aware CoQ10 has been shown to be effective in the treatment of angina, high blood pressure, sudden heart failure, protecting the heart from surgery induced stress, cardiomyopathy, cardiovascular disease, Parkinson's disease, even migraine headaches, and immune function.

Along with Curcumin/turmeric, there are currently clinical trials involving Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) which involve everything from being Bi-polar, to Parkinson’s disease and more.

Here is a link with Coq10 trials:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=coq10 

Will it all help in the end? Who knows, but the Chinese and the Indians had more advanced cultures than the US and Europe….. and their cancer rate is less than the West's. It is also inexpensive, and to me in relation to melanoma, it sure can't hurt.

Michael

nicoli
                                                                        Participant

Turmeric and curcumin are two different things.

Turmeric is the spice and we need at least 1 tablespoon a day for any benefit, according to the book,  "Anti-Cancer, a New Way of Life".  Getting this much turmeric was extremely difficult for me, as you have to put it on all foods and then they all taste the same. It also stains kitchen counters, towels, etc a very nice yellow.

Curcumin is the componant in turmeric that makes it anti cancer. It comes in capsles and that makes it possible to get larger doses with less mess and fuss.  I personally can't take it cuz it causes severe stomach cramping. 

Might be worth taking but at least do some research and get the appropriate dosage or you're just throwing money down the drain.

If you want to take a food / supplement, red wine is the one you want. 4 oz per day of Pinot Noir is the most anti-cancer food you can do, according to the above book.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                                                                          Participant

Turmeric and curcumin are two different things.

Turmeric is the spice and we need at least 1 tablespoon a day for any benefit, according to the book,  "Anti-Cancer, a New Way of Life".  Getting this much turmeric was extremely difficult for me, as you have to put it on all foods and then they all taste the same. It also stains kitchen counters, towels, etc a very nice yellow.

Curcumin is the componant in turmeric that makes it anti cancer. It comes in capsles and that makes it possible to get larger doses with less mess and fuss.  I personally can't take it cuz it causes severe stomach cramping. 

Might be worth taking but at least do some research and get the appropriate dosage or you're just throwing money down the drain.

If you want to take a food / supplement, red wine is the one you want. 4 oz per day of Pinot Noir is the most anti-cancer food you can do, according to the above book.

Nicki, Stage 3b

Carmon in NM
                                                                            Participant

Per the Dr of Homeopathy that I see, I take 1,000 mg/day of curcumin. You should not take it before or after surgery or during systemic treatments because it can increase bleeding so I was off it for the entire six months I was on chemo.

Interestingly, after going almost two years NED, I ran out and just didn't get around to ordering more (I can't buy it locally here) and was off it for about six months before I had two mets show up in my brain. I can't say if it had a connection or not but I'm not letting myself run out again!

I have a grey horse with melanoma (in horses it is usually benign) and I give him one ounce of turmeric a day in his feed. During the winter when I was on chemo and too sick to deal with much, I ran out of turmeric and by spring he had a huge new tumor. I ordered more bulk turmeric and started him on two ounces immediately and within two weeks that tumor started shrinking. It's been about three months now and it is about a third of the size it was.

One of my other horses had an egg sized sarcoid in his ear that nothing was working on and to surgically  remove it would have meant removing his ear too. I started him on one ounce of turmeric a day and within a few months it was completely gone.

So that is totally annecdotal and about horses, not humans, but it's enough to convince me that it is doing a huge amount of good in my horses.

Carmon in NM
                                                                              Participant

Per the Dr of Homeopathy that I see, I take 1,000 mg/day of curcumin. You should not take it before or after surgery or during systemic treatments because it can increase bleeding so I was off it for the entire six months I was on chemo.

Interestingly, after going almost two years NED, I ran out and just didn't get around to ordering more (I can't buy it locally here) and was off it for about six months before I had two mets show up in my brain. I can't say if it had a connection or not but I'm not letting myself run out again!

I have a grey horse with melanoma (in horses it is usually benign) and I give him one ounce of turmeric a day in his feed. During the winter when I was on chemo and too sick to deal with much, I ran out of turmeric and by spring he had a huge new tumor. I ordered more bulk turmeric and started him on two ounces immediately and within two weeks that tumor started shrinking. It's been about three months now and it is about a third of the size it was.

One of my other horses had an egg sized sarcoid in his ear that nothing was working on and to surgically  remove it would have meant removing his ear too. I started him on one ounce of turmeric a day and within a few months it was completely gone.

So that is totally annecdotal and about horses, not humans, but it's enough to convince me that it is doing a huge amount of good in my horses.

Lisa13
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Carmon,

I've just started chemo as a first line of treatment and since you've done chemo as well, I wanted to ask you about supplements.  My naturopath said I can continue to take my supplements, except curcumin and green tea extract while on chemo. Did you continue anything while on treatment?  Quite frankly I don't want anything to interfere with the chemo, so other than a multi vitamin (which my onc said I could take), I don't take anything. I have a VegeGreen drink packed full of all kinds of goodness, but I'm not sure if this would be okay since there are trace amounts of "herbs".

Just wanted to know what you did while on your regimen.  I'll probably sustain until I speak with my onc. on Monday.

Lisa

lyndaloo
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Lisa – my husband is on his third round of decarbazine, I thought they would put him on ipi after his second round but we don't have the CT results back yet and the doc thinks the decarbazine may be shrinking his visible tumors.  He stopped all his natural remedies when he went on the chemo, we are thinking of re-introducing some to keep up his immune system.  I noticed you said your naturopath said to discontinue curcumin and green tea extract.  I have heard that curcumin was not good with chemo but was surprised to read about the green tea.  We were thinking to start back on the green tea capsules, mushroom immune builder, Vit d and Vit B12 since now on the third round of chemo and feel its important to keep up the immune system.  I have been following your story and am praying for you. 

lyndaloo
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Lisa – my husband is on his third round of decarbazine, I thought they would put him on ipi after his second round but we don't have the CT results back yet and the doc thinks the decarbazine may be shrinking his visible tumors.  He stopped all his natural remedies when he went on the chemo, we are thinking of re-introducing some to keep up his immune system.  I noticed you said your naturopath said to discontinue curcumin and green tea extract.  I have heard that curcumin was not good with chemo but was surprised to read about the green tea.  We were thinking to start back on the green tea capsules, mushroom immune builder, Vit d and Vit B12 since now on the third round of chemo and feel its important to keep up the immune system.  I have been following your story and am praying for you. 

lyndaloo
                                                                                        Participant

Lisa13
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Carmon,

I've just started chemo as a first line of treatment and since you've done chemo as well, I wanted to ask you about supplements.  My naturopath said I can continue to take my supplements, except curcumin and green tea extract while on chemo. Did you continue anything while on treatment?  Quite frankly I don't want anything to interfere with the chemo, so other than a multi vitamin (which my onc said I could take), I don't take anything. I have a VegeGreen drink packed full of all kinds of goodness, but I'm not sure if this would be okay since there are trace amounts of "herbs".

Just wanted to know what you did while on your regimen.  I'll probably sustain until I speak with my onc. on Monday.

Lisa

mcanova
                                                                                          Participant

Hello Dawn,

A good friend of mine suggested Turmeric/Curcumin shortly after my diagnoses.  I've since done a lot of research and it appears to be good for you from so many different aspects, and no down side.  My GP (originally from India) mentioned that it was a staple there and there was less incidence of cancer as a result.

Many of the studies that showed benifets used injections, and it is hard to take enough orally to affect anything other then the digestive tract.  But apparently taking it in combination with "piper nigrum" (Black pepper) significantly increases the absorption rate.  And pepper is also an ingredient in curry and other dish's normally prepared in India.

I've since found Curcumin/Turmeric with Bioperine (piper nigrum) in a single cap.  I take a 900mg cap twice a day with meals.

Mike

mcanova
                                                                                            Participant

Hello Dawn,

A good friend of mine suggested Turmeric/Curcumin shortly after my diagnoses.  I've since done a lot of research and it appears to be good for you from so many different aspects, and no down side.  My GP (originally from India) mentioned that it was a staple there and there was less incidence of cancer as a result.

Many of the studies that showed benifets used injections, and it is hard to take enough orally to affect anything other then the digestive tract.  But apparently taking it in combination with "piper nigrum" (Black pepper) significantly increases the absorption rate.  And pepper is also an ingredient in curry and other dish's normally prepared in India.

I've since found Curcumin/Turmeric with Bioperine (piper nigrum) in a single cap.  I take a 900mg cap twice a day with meals.

Mike

boot2aboot
                                                                                                Participant

curcumin is very hard to assimulate properly….you would need to take hugh doses and get it in a form that your body can absorb it….tumeric needs to be combined with black pepper or ginger and it needs the action of heat to release it';s properties lot of …obviously more studies need to be done…no doubt someone will refine it and use as an anti-cancer medication…but you will then get it in a pharmaceutical with a number attached…most medicines are based on…plants

i have always used tumeric as a spice and liberally…as i like it…but, i still got mel…so did it help or not? who is to say…

boot2aboot
                                                                                                  Participant

curcumin is very hard to assimulate properly….you would need to take hugh doses and get it in a form that your body can absorb it….tumeric needs to be combined with black pepper or ginger and it needs the action of heat to release it';s properties lot of …obviously more studies need to be done…no doubt someone will refine it and use as an anti-cancer medication…but you will then get it in a pharmaceutical with a number attached…most medicines are based on…plants

i have always used tumeric as a spice and liberally…as i like it…but, i still got mel…so did it help or not? who is to say…

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics