The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Celebrating New Year-Tafinlar/Mekinist with Leptomeningeal Carcinomatosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Celebrating New Year-Tafinlar/Mekinist with Leptomeningeal Carcinomatosis

Participant

My son is 35, with Stage IV Melanoma (primary stage 1a removed from back 5 years ago).  He was just diagnosed in August, 2016 with metastasis to brain, lungs, liver and lymph nodes.  About 2 weeks after diagnosis he suddenly couldn't walk and started having severe neurological signs and symptoms. He was found on MRI to have nodules and tumors up and down his spine and was diagnosed with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis.  This is basically melanoma meningitis of the cerebral spinal fluid and the prognosis is very grim with median life expectancy of only 10 weeks after this diagnosis.

His oncologist immediately started him on Tafinlar/Mekinist combination.  He had been scheduled to begin immunotherapy before this development but that was not possible with the LC.  He is having an amazing response to the Taf/Mek!!  His most recent spinal mri showed the spinal tumors have "resolved"! Liver nodules are gone too. All other tumors in brain, lung and lymph nodes have shrunk dramatically.

So now the plan is to stay with the Taf/Mek a couple of months longer, then start Yervoy for 12 weeks. 

I wanted to share this story to give encouragement that even with the most dire diagnosis, these days there can be hope.   My son went for a hike in the mountains a few days ago to celebrate the New Year. He said it took everything he had to hike up the final steep slope, but he made it . . . he made it. 

Love, best wishes and hope to you all.

Jill

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        blessd4x
        Participant

This made me cry!  OMG im so thrilled for you!  Gives me hope that I look for every day here! 

blessd4x
          Participant

This made me cry!  OMG im so thrilled for you!  Gives me hope that I look for every day here! 

blessd4x
            Participant

Scooby123
              Participant

So pleased for you there is lots of treatment options right now but so pleased treatment working . 

Scooby x

Scooby123
                Participant

So pleased for you there is lots of treatment options right now but so pleased treatment working . 

Scooby x

Scooby123
                  Participant

Scooby x

debwray
                    Participant

Hi Jill

Thank you for sharing and best of luck to you both.

Deb

debwray
                      Participant

Hi Jill

Deb

debwray
                        Participant

Hi Jill

Deb

Jules
                          Participant

I am very happy to hear this amazing news about your son!! It makes my heart so incredibly happy.  The only thing that made me flinch is when you said his oncologist would keep him on the tafinlar and meknist for a couple months and switch to yervoy. Some patients can be on the tafinlar/meknist combo for years, especially when they have a dramatic or complete response which sounds like the case of your son. Yervoy's response rates are very low, 12-13%- in combo with Opdivo those rates are much higher (58%).  Im not a doctor but I do know how hard it can be to find a treatment that works to that magnitude so if it was me I would let it work as long as it can get as big of a response as I could and then if I progress, even minimally, go to immunotherapy.  Just something to think about and discuss w the doctor. 

i wish your son well and sincerely pray he beats this evil disease. Thank you for sharing his incredible story. 

Jules
                            Participant

I am very happy to hear this amazing news about your son!! It makes my heart so incredibly happy.  The only thing that made me flinch is when you said his oncologist would keep him on the tafinlar and meknist for a couple months and switch to yervoy. Some patients can be on the tafinlar/meknist combo for years, especially when they have a dramatic or complete response which sounds like the case of your son. Yervoy's response rates are very low, 12-13%- in combo with Opdivo those rates are much higher (58%).  Im not a doctor but I do know how hard it can be to find a treatment that works to that magnitude so if it was me I would let it work as long as it can get as big of a response as I could and then if I progress, even minimally, go to immunotherapy.  Just something to think about and discuss w the doctor. 

i wish your son well and sincerely pray he beats this evil disease. Thank you for sharing his incredible story. 

jkall
                                Participant

Thank you so much for this feedback.  He will be on the Yervoy-Opdivo combination.  I have read that a small number have a complete response to the Tafinlar/mekinist for 1-2 years, and I don't want to waste any of this period either.  But the studies seem to indicate the longest survivors did not even have brain metastasis, let alone the leptomeningeal involvement my son had.

The Dr. says he personally has not had people respond to the Taf/Mek combination for over 6-9 months–my son has been on them so far for 4 months.  So I believe we are still in the stage of watching things.  I agree if he goes on to have a complete response, I would want him to have more time and watch for even minimal progression.  I think one factor is that my son actually came back from being so sick, there is concern that when/if he starts progressing there may not be enough time to get the Yervoy Opdivo started and having an effect.

He is just now able to finally wean off steroids (due to brain swelling) to be able to use the immunotherapy.  I think we are in the territory of the unknown here with the extent of his disease last August.  Perhaps it would be good to get a second opinion.

Thank you again for this discussion.  I  am the person doing the reading/researching and this forum is helpful to hear others' experiences. Thank you also for your prayers–they are most appreciated. 

Jill

jkall
                                  Participant

Thank you so much for this feedback.  He will be on the Yervoy-Opdivo combination.  I have read that a small number have a complete response to the Tafinlar/mekinist for 1-2 years, and I don't want to waste any of this period either.  But the studies seem to indicate the longest survivors did not even have brain metastasis, let alone the leptomeningeal involvement my son had.

The Dr. says he personally has not had people respond to the Taf/Mek combination for over 6-9 months–my son has been on them so far for 4 months.  So I believe we are still in the stage of watching things.  I agree if he goes on to have a complete response, I would want him to have more time and watch for even minimal progression.  I think one factor is that my son actually came back from being so sick, there is concern that when/if he starts progressing there may not be enough time to get the Yervoy Opdivo started and having an effect.

He is just now able to finally wean off steroids (due to brain swelling) to be able to use the immunotherapy.  I think we are in the territory of the unknown here with the extent of his disease last August.  Perhaps it would be good to get a second opinion.

Thank you again for this discussion.  I  am the person doing the reading/researching and this forum is helpful to hear others' experiences. Thank you also for your prayers–they are most appreciated. 

Jill

Jules
                                    Participant

Im so very glad I didn't offend in any way.  You are very informed and your son is very lucky to have you, I mean that from the bottom of my heart.. sometimes the caregivers do most of the research and that saves or prolongs lives everyday.  The thing about the taf/mek is that many times doctors will use it as the last treatment option because they know it will more than likely work and will work quickly. The problem is, in both of the phase 3 clinical trials patients were treatment naive, 65-67% had a normal LDH and most had and ecog of 0-1… a very different patient than one who has been through the immunotherapies and on it last line.  we just don't know if the sequencing of the medication makes a difference in response or duration of response. In ESMO last year we saw 3 year overall survival which for stage 4 melanoma was a dream only 5 years ago. My long winded point in all this is I wonder if his oncologist uses taf/mek as first line and if he doesn't maybe that's why he hasn't seen it work as long… There is a trial right now that is testing the sequencing.. patients on taf/mek first and if they progress cross over to immunotherapy and vice versa to see if using one before the other impacts how a patient responds.

Now that you clarified he would be doing the combo it makes much more sense. It really has the highest response in the immotherpy space. Sound like his oncologist is being very proactive. There are a lot of people on this forum who have done the combo or are currently doing it so you'll have a lot of support when the time comes. 

Im truly sorry your son at the young age of 35 is burdened with this. And from one mother to another I will not only pray for him but I will pray for you as well because I can't imagine what you've been going through too. 

I have learned so much from ONCLIVE and if you haven't been all over that site yet, I highly recommend it 🙂 

Jules
                                      Participant

Im so very glad I didn't offend in any way.  You are very informed and your son is very lucky to have you, I mean that from the bottom of my heart.. sometimes the caregivers do most of the research and that saves or prolongs lives everyday.  The thing about the taf/mek is that many times doctors will use it as the last treatment option because they know it will more than likely work and will work quickly. The problem is, in both of the phase 3 clinical trials patients were treatment naive, 65-67% had a normal LDH and most had and ecog of 0-1… a very different patient than one who has been through the immunotherapies and on it last line.  we just don't know if the sequencing of the medication makes a difference in response or duration of response. In ESMO last year we saw 3 year overall survival which for stage 4 melanoma was a dream only 5 years ago. My long winded point in all this is I wonder if his oncologist uses taf/mek as first line and if he doesn't maybe that's why he hasn't seen it work as long… There is a trial right now that is testing the sequencing.. patients on taf/mek first and if they progress cross over to immunotherapy and vice versa to see if using one before the other impacts how a patient responds.

Now that you clarified he would be doing the combo it makes much more sense. It really has the highest response in the immotherpy space. Sound like his oncologist is being very proactive. There are a lot of people on this forum who have done the combo or are currently doing it so you'll have a lot of support when the time comes. 

Im truly sorry your son at the young age of 35 is burdened with this. And from one mother to another I will not only pray for him but I will pray for you as well because I can't imagine what you've been going through too. 

I have learned so much from ONCLIVE and if you haven't been all over that site yet, I highly recommend it 🙂 

Jules
                                        Participant

jkall
                                          Participant

Jill

Jules
                                          Participant

snow white
                                            Participant

Hi Jill, What a fantastic story about your son.  This brings so much hope to those that are currently in a dire circumstance with their Mel and also for those of us that have the long road ahead.  Thank you so much for sharing.  Sending you and your son the very best!!!!!

Jen

snow white
                                              Participant

Hi Jill, What a fantastic story about your son.  This brings so much hope to those that are currently in a dire circumstance with their Mel and also for those of us that have the long road ahead.  Thank you so much for sharing.  Sending you and your son the very best!!!!!

Jen

snow white
                                                Participant

Jen

Hukill
                                                  Participant

Great response to the treatment. I am so glad your son was able to get the treatment that he needed.

Hukill
                                                    Participant

Great response to the treatment. I am so glad your son was able to get the treatment that he needed.

Hukill
                                                      Participant

Mat
                                                        Participant

Jill, thanks for posting.  If you look through my posts (starting in Aug 2013), you'll see that I had a similar path.  Glad to hear that your son is responding well.

Mat
                                                          Participant

Jill, thanks for posting.  If you look through my posts (starting in Aug 2013), you'll see that I had a similar path.  Glad to hear that your son is responding well.

Mat
                                                            Participant

adriana cooper
                                                              Participant

Jill, Glad to her your son is doing well on BRAFi. Adriana found relief from the combo within 5 days and it continued to work well for her for the past two months. Five weeks ago she added reintroduction of pembro to the mix which has brought back swelling and muscle pain. Blood work last week showed elevated LD and AST/ALT causing concern. She was directed to stop the BRAFi (which has been the goal any way, so as to preserve their use should other interventions fail) until follow-up. This week the levels have started back to normal. More blood next week. 

Was your son's diagnosis made via positive CSF cytology or other methods.

Although it isn't the right option for Adriana at this time I wanted to make sure you are aware of the intratheacal IL-2 treatment being done at MDA in Texas for LMD.

Best wishes

Rob

adriana cooper
                                                                Participant

Jill, Glad to her your son is doing well on BRAFi. Adriana found relief from the combo within 5 days and it continued to work well for her for the past two months. Five weeks ago she added reintroduction of pembro to the mix which has brought back swelling and muscle pain. Blood work last week showed elevated LD and AST/ALT causing concern. She was directed to stop the BRAFi (which has been the goal any way, so as to preserve their use should other interventions fail) until follow-up. This week the levels have started back to normal. More blood next week. 

Although it isn't the right option for Adriana at this time I wanted to make sure you are aware of the intratheacal IL-2 treatment being done at MDA in Texas for LMD.

Best wishes

Rob

adriana cooper
                                                                  Participant

Best wishes

Rob

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics