The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Blast from the past

Forums General Melanoma Community Blast from the past

Participant

Wow, it has been FOREVER since I was last here! I recognize some of the names, so maybe there are still a few who remember me ;). I like to visit here now and then, and check to see how people are doing. I like to give hope to those who are currently wondering where their life goes from a newly stage IV diagnosis, and let "old" members know I am still alive and kicking.

Wow, it has been FOREVER since I was last here! I recognize some of the names, so maybe there are still a few who remember me ;). I like to visit here now and then, and check to see how people are doing. I like to give hope to those who are currently wondering where their life goes from a newly stage IV diagnosis, and let "old" members know I am still alive and kicking.

I am heading into my 7th year as a stage IV melanoma survivor…HOLY CRAP! How did THAT happen??? Even better, I have been NED since Fall 2007. Yep, nothing but PET and CT scans to monitor since October 2007. It still blows my mind to realize how many years it has been since hearing those horrible words in my oncologists office. I have been one of the lucky ones. Since becoming NED, I have had two beautiful daughters (ages 2 and 6 months now), and can not complain at how good life has treated me. I have watched several friends pass away, or get diagnosed with different cancers and other unexpected conditions, and it just makes me value the days I have had even more. I am scared to death about what the future holds, but every day I have had with my daughters, is a day I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams.

If all continues to go well, this year I will turn 38 and celebrate with a husband who I didn't meet until I was already diagnosed with stage III, and with two amazing toddlers who I never thought would be possible. I don't know why I am a lucky one, but I try to live each day for every single person who hasn't been so fortunate.

A lot of crap happens to really good people. But I am proof that miracles do happen, so never give up hope, until the very end. You never know how good life might get, nomatter how many days you have to live it.

Alison (Lilred75) 

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

that's truly inspirational, you're a hero in my book

JC
          Participant

JC
            Participant

aldakota22
              Participant

Great post to read.Like you I also feel as I am one of the luckiest people on earth.Definitely beleive in miracles.Pray each person here gets their miracle also.Time does fly by.Keep us updated on such a beautiful second chance at life.Beat the Beast. Al

aldakota22
                Participant

Great post to read.Like you I also feel as I am one of the luckiest people on earth.Definitely beleive in miracles.Pray each person here gets their miracle also.Time does fly by.Keep us updated on such a beautiful second chance at life.Beat the Beast. Al

aldakota22
                  Participant

Fen
                    Participant

Thanks for posting.  I know it helps newly diagnosed people to see that it can happen.  Congrats also on your children – enjoy every minute.      Fen

Fen
                      Participant

Thanks for posting.  I know it helps newly diagnosed people to see that it can happen.  Congrats also on your children – enjoy every minute.      Fen

Fen
                        Participant

buffcody
                          Participant

As someone seven months and not years into this journey and NED only a month, I am greatly encouraged and strengthened for the future by your post.  Thank you.

buffcody
                            Participant

As someone seven months and not years into this journey and NED only a month, I am greatly encouraged and strengthened for the future by your post.  Thank you.

buffcody
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

Nice to see you posting, Alison!  Congrats on the two rugrats and the many years of NED!

Janner

Janner
                                  Participant

Nice to see you posting, Alison!  Congrats on the two rugrats and the many years of NED!

Janner

Janner
                                    Participant

Janner

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Long time,but still glad to hear from you again.  Enjoy those little ones and live!  Great news that helps many new peeople have hope.

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

Long time,but still glad to hear from you again.  Enjoy those little ones and live!  Great news that helps many new peeople have hope.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Linny
                                            Participant

Oh, how I love reading stories like yours, Alison!

Thank you for checking in and letting all of us know how well you're doing. I hope you continue to kick melanoma's butt.

Linny
                                              Participant

Thank you for checking in and letting all of us know how well you're doing. I hope you continue to kick melanoma's butt.

Linny
                                                Participant

JenJen12
                                                  Participant

Hi Alison,

My name is Jen. I was diagnosed at 26 stage 3A. Coming up on 3.5 years NED right now. Congrats on all your years of NED. I'm just curious. What stage were you and how far along NED were you when you made the decision to have children? What did the doctors and oncologists tell you about the risk for it recurring? I've heard sometimes the hormonal changes one goes through during pregnancy can cause your melanoma to recur? I really want children in the future and this always worries me. Thoughts?

Jenjen 3a (recently turned 30! eek) 3.5 years NED

JenJen12
                                                    Participant

Hi Alison,

My name is Jen. I was diagnosed at 26 stage 3A. Coming up on 3.5 years NED right now. Congrats on all your years of NED. I'm just curious. What stage were you and how far along NED were you when you made the decision to have children? What did the doctors and oncologists tell you about the risk for it recurring? I've heard sometimes the hormonal changes one goes through during pregnancy can cause your melanoma to recur? I really want children in the future and this always worries me. Thoughts?

lilred75
                                                        Participant

So sorry it has taken me so long to reply. My whole family has been super sick, and my husband recovering from shoulder surgery, so January has been a total mess!

I was originally diagnosed at stage III in spring 2004. I progressed to stage IV in spring 2006. I finished my final treatment and was NED starting October 2007. All along I was asking my doctors what their thoughts were on pregnancy if I could get NED. Initially (in 2004) they were wary about it unless I was 5+ years out. But over time the stats have really not made any conclusions that pregnancy increases chance of reoccurrence. Yes, hormones can make the body do crazy things, one of which may be cell mutation causing cancer to resurface. Bottom line, no one will ever really know because who is to say if someone has a reoccurrence that the pregnancy is what caused it, or that it would have happened regardless. At 1 year NED my husband and I really starting talking about trying (we weren't getting any younger!). My oncologist said he would prefer to see me be at least 2 years out, but he support me in whatever I decided, and would do whatever was needed to help monitor things in the process. His belief was the cancer would reoccur, or it wouldn't, and pregnancy was not really a determining factor in that. So I think I was about 1.5 years NED when I went off the depo shot. I knew it may take a while to get things working again. It did take us a while, and we were actually looking at IVF when I found out I was pregnant. Adyson was born December 2010, so I was about 2.5 years NED. My husband and I came to the conclusion that we had to be okay with the fact I may get sick again, either during pregnancy, or after, and we could not live with any regrets if I did get sick. He also had to be okay with being a single parent. So far, we have been very lucky and I have remained NED through both pregnancies. 

If I had been a few years younger, we may have waited longer than 2 years, but I can't say for sure. My thought was I am healthy now, let's take advantage of it! Maybe not the best approach, but it worked for us ;).

It's a tough decision, but whatever you do, you just have to commit to it, and never look back with regret.

Congrats on your 3.5 years! That is terrific! Please let me know if I can help in any way. 

~Alison

lilred75
                                                          Participant

So sorry it has taken me so long to reply. My whole family has been super sick, and my husband recovering from shoulder surgery, so January has been a total mess!

I was originally diagnosed at stage III in spring 2004. I progressed to stage IV in spring 2006. I finished my final treatment and was NED starting October 2007. All along I was asking my doctors what their thoughts were on pregnancy if I could get NED. Initially (in 2004) they were wary about it unless I was 5+ years out. But over time the stats have really not made any conclusions that pregnancy increases chance of reoccurrence. Yes, hormones can make the body do crazy things, one of which may be cell mutation causing cancer to resurface. Bottom line, no one will ever really know because who is to say if someone has a reoccurrence that the pregnancy is what caused it, or that it would have happened regardless. At 1 year NED my husband and I really starting talking about trying (we weren't getting any younger!). My oncologist said he would prefer to see me be at least 2 years out, but he support me in whatever I decided, and would do whatever was needed to help monitor things in the process. His belief was the cancer would reoccur, or it wouldn't, and pregnancy was not really a determining factor in that. So I think I was about 1.5 years NED when I went off the depo shot. I knew it may take a while to get things working again. It did take us a while, and we were actually looking at IVF when I found out I was pregnant. Adyson was born December 2010, so I was about 2.5 years NED. My husband and I came to the conclusion that we had to be okay with the fact I may get sick again, either during pregnancy, or after, and we could not live with any regrets if I did get sick. He also had to be okay with being a single parent. So far, we have been very lucky and I have remained NED through both pregnancies. 

If I had been a few years younger, we may have waited longer than 2 years, but I can't say for sure. My thought was I am healthy now, let's take advantage of it! Maybe not the best approach, but it worked for us ;).

It's a tough decision, but whatever you do, you just have to commit to it, and never look back with regret.

Congrats on your 3.5 years! That is terrific! Please let me know if I can help in any way. 

~Alison

lilred75
                                                            Participant

~Alison

JenJen12
                                                            Participant

Hi Alison,

JenJen12
                                                              Participant

Hi Alison,

JenJen12
                                                                Participant

Hi Alison,

JenJen12
                                                                  Participant

Hi Alison,

DonW
                                                                    Participant

Hi, Alison. Great to see you are still NED. We have a number of IL2 success stories on this forum. I looked at your profile and I'm wondering what type of radiation you had on your lung spot. We've a few people in this same situation and it would be interesting to hear what your experience was.

DonW
                                                                      Participant

Hi, Alison. Great to see you are still NED. We have a number of IL2 success stories on this forum. I looked at your profile and I'm wondering what type of radiation you had on your lung spot. We've a few people in this same situation and it would be interesting to hear what your experience was.

lilred75
                                                                          Participant

My apologies to you as well for not posting sooner. To be honest, I couldn't even tell you what kind of radiation it was. It was maybe a total treatment of 6 sessions over a couple three weeks? It was target specific, and I did not have hardly any side effects. I was in grad school at the time, and the only problem I had was some fatigue and redness. 

Looking back, I would say the spot that was radiated was likely not melanoma. It popped up on a scan, they gave me the option to do nothing, and just wait and see, do radiation, or do chemo. Being aggressive, I said let's do something, but was against chemo. I felt the IL-2 was still doing its job, and did not want to wipe it out with chemo. I actually ended up changing oncologists because my original one was against radiation, and wanted me to do chemo. Even though radiation was not known to show good results with melanoma, I felt it was better than doing nothing, but not drastic like chemo. I have no scientific basis for my conclusion, but I just feel like had I done nothing, the spot would have resolved itself by the next scan because it was not cancer. I have no regret doing radiation though, because it was such an easy treatment, and mentally made me feel like I was doing everything I could. I do think my willingness to stand up to my first oncologist and say no, this is what I want and if you won't do it, I will find someone who will, is what saved my life. I truly feel had I done chemo, I would not be here today because it would have wiped out the IL-2 working in my body.

So…I am very out of the loop these days about what type of treatments are being used. I have heard tidbits that radiation is showing more promise, but I have no clue what the treatments are like now, compared to what I had. I tolerated both times I had it very well- prior was on my left axilla area as a 'clean up' after original surgery, but not sure if that is typical.

lilred75
                                                                            Participant

My apologies to you as well for not posting sooner. To be honest, I couldn't even tell you what kind of radiation it was. It was maybe a total treatment of 6 sessions over a couple three weeks? It was target specific, and I did not have hardly any side effects. I was in grad school at the time, and the only problem I had was some fatigue and redness. 

Looking back, I would say the spot that was radiated was likely not melanoma. It popped up on a scan, they gave me the option to do nothing, and just wait and see, do radiation, or do chemo. Being aggressive, I said let's do something, but was against chemo. I felt the IL-2 was still doing its job, and did not want to wipe it out with chemo. I actually ended up changing oncologists because my original one was against radiation, and wanted me to do chemo. Even though radiation was not known to show good results with melanoma, I felt it was better than doing nothing, but not drastic like chemo. I have no scientific basis for my conclusion, but I just feel like had I done nothing, the spot would have resolved itself by the next scan because it was not cancer. I have no regret doing radiation though, because it was such an easy treatment, and mentally made me feel like I was doing everything I could. I do think my willingness to stand up to my first oncologist and say no, this is what I want and if you won't do it, I will find someone who will, is what saved my life. I truly feel had I done chemo, I would not be here today because it would have wiped out the IL-2 working in my body.

So…I am very out of the loop these days about what type of treatments are being used. I have heard tidbits that radiation is showing more promise, but I have no clue what the treatments are like now, compared to what I had. I tolerated both times I had it very well- prior was on my left axilla area as a 'clean up' after original surgery, but not sure if that is typical.

lilred75
                                                                              Participant

DonW
                                                                              Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                Participant

Great to hear from you.  You were just finishing your IL-2 treatments when I came on board.  IL-2 held me essentially stable for two years at a time I was told that there was nothing for mucosal melanoma.    Hug those precious babies.  I've got to hug more grandkids and even GreatGrandkids since then.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                  Participant

Great to hear from you.  You were just finishing your IL-2 treatments when I came on board.  IL-2 held me essentially stable for two years at a time I was told that there was nothing for mucosal melanoma.    Hug those precious babies.  I've got to hug more grandkids and even GreatGrandkids since then.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics