The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

axillary lymphadenectomy

Forums General Melanoma Community axillary lymphadenectomy

Participant

wanted to update everyone…i got my axillary lymphadenectomy on thursday…dr said my tumor was around 4cm…she said there was only the one tumor and she got good clean margins…my surgery lasted longer than expected, but i am told by others this is a good sign because it means they kept looking but didn't find any new cancer tissue?…won't have path results back on tumor until i go get my drainage tube out may 3rd…i am not too sore unless i move my arm a certain way then yow-wee! feels like i am ripping something out…

boots

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carol Taylor
        Participant

Then don't move your arm that way, 2B!  🙂 great big grin coming your way!  I'm proud of you Boot! For all your panic, you did GOOD! 

I do want to say, without alarming you, that May 3rd sounds like it may be a little soon….maybe not, hope not. Here's how you can tell: the color of your drainage. If it's still running on the bloody side when you go back, expect to keep it in a litle longer without panicking.  Because I had 2 surferies back-to-back and because it took a longer-than-expected time for my drainage to clear, mine was in a total of 2 months.

Now, when you go get it removed, I'm guessing it's stapled in place…it will NOT hurt one bit to get the staples removed and it will NOT hurt when they pull the tubing out!  I didn't believe it, but they did it all while I was voicing my dread of the procedure and showed me the staples & tubing while I was talking about dreading it, I never felt a thing…and it was this that particularly made me panic.  I just knew removing staples & pulling out tubing was going to hurt like *&*@&#&^, but it didn't.

Lord, in Your mercy, let 2B's reports come back good and help her continue to cope and beat the beast!

Grace and peace,

Carol

boot2aboot
            Participant

thank you Rev…Happy Easter…i am doing a lot of affirmations and guided meditations…as i have read it helps to generate t and nk cell productions and calm down cortisol stress induced cytokine activity…..thanks for the cleaning tips…i tell you guys what…you are one tough bunch 

Carol Taylor
              Participant

Haven't you learned through this, that you're tough too?!  I'll say this for the beast: you learn the stuff you're made of when you meet him.  I bet we all learned a lot about ourselves, what we can take and do, and how tough we are. I borrowed "Steel Magnolia" for myself.

Happy Easter!  Here's to new life!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                Participant

Haven't you learned through this, that you're tough too?!  I'll say this for the beast: you learn the stuff you're made of when you meet him.  I bet we all learned a lot about ourselves, what we can take and do, and how tough we are. I borrowed "Steel Magnolia" for myself.

Happy Easter!  Here's to new life!

Grace and peace,

Carol

boot2aboot
                  Participant

thank you Rev…Happy Easter…i am doing a lot of affirmations and guided meditations…as i have read it helps to generate t and nk cell productions and calm down cortisol stress induced cytokine activity…..thanks for the cleaning tips…i tell you guys what…you are one tough bunch 

Carol Taylor
                  Participant

Then don't move your arm that way, 2B!  🙂 great big grin coming your way!  I'm proud of you Boot! For all your panic, you did GOOD! 

I do want to say, without alarming you, that May 3rd sounds like it may be a little soon….maybe not, hope not. Here's how you can tell: the color of your drainage. If it's still running on the bloody side when you go back, expect to keep it in a litle longer without panicking.  Because I had 2 surferies back-to-back and because it took a longer-than-expected time for my drainage to clear, mine was in a total of 2 months.

Now, when you go get it removed, I'm guessing it's stapled in place…it will NOT hurt one bit to get the staples removed and it will NOT hurt when they pull the tubing out!  I didn't believe it, but they did it all while I was voicing my dread of the procedure and showed me the staples & tubing while I was talking about dreading it, I never felt a thing…and it was this that particularly made me panic.  I just knew removing staples & pulling out tubing was going to hurt like *&*@&#&^, but it didn't.

Lord, in Your mercy, let 2B's reports come back good and help her continue to cope and beat the beast!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Linny
                    Participant

I was you 3 months ago. smiley

I started doing very mild stretches the day after my surgery. The post-surgical pain wasn't too bad because the surgeon intentionally cut some surface nerves so I ended up with "instant novocaine". But I still knew when I overdid something…LOL. For the most part changing dressings and empyting the drain were a non-event. By the time I went to have the drain removed the pain was negligible.

Most of my initial "physical therapy" consisted of washing and drying my hair. It wasn't until about 2 weeks after I had my drain removed that I started noticing a dramatic improvement in mobility.

When I lift the affected arm over my head now, I can feel some pulling, but it's not bad. The most important thing is that I can lift both arms the same height now. I also am getting feeling back in the arm pit.

The drain got uncomfortable after a week or so because it was resting on a nerve. Every now and then I'd feel a burning sensation down my arm, which I didn't care for. But that subsided after the drain was removed.

Hope the pathologist has good news for you!!!!

Linda

boot2aboot
                        Participant

Thank you Linny for spelling it out….success on your treatments…keep me posted

boot2aboot
                          Participant

Thank you Linny for spelling it out….success on your treatments…keep me posted

Linny
                          Participant

I was you 3 months ago. smiley

I started doing very mild stretches the day after my surgery. The post-surgical pain wasn't too bad because the surgeon intentionally cut some surface nerves so I ended up with "instant novocaine". But I still knew when I overdid something…LOL. For the most part changing dressings and empyting the drain were a non-event. By the time I went to have the drain removed the pain was negligible.

Most of my initial "physical therapy" consisted of washing and drying my hair. It wasn't until about 2 weeks after I had my drain removed that I started noticing a dramatic improvement in mobility.

When I lift the affected arm over my head now, I can feel some pulling, but it's not bad. The most important thing is that I can lift both arms the same height now. I also am getting feeling back in the arm pit.

The drain got uncomfortable after a week or so because it was resting on a nerve. Every now and then I'd feel a burning sensation down my arm, which I didn't care for. But that subsided after the drain was removed.

Hope the pathologist has good news for you!!!!

Linda

shellebrownies
                            Participant

Glad to hear your results (so far) are relatively positive. 🙂 I hope the path results are good news for you as well. 

My hubby had the same surgery about 3 weeks ago (4/1) and he got his drainage tube out after only 4 days. Everybody is different of course (and he doesn't have breast tissue to deal with…which I would think could complicate things). 

His incision site is still quite tender but is better now that the steri-strips have come off. I remember how scared you were in your first post, and I'm so very glad you seem to be in better spirits now that things are moving along. Just remember that we are here for you to keep you positive. : )

Michelle

shellebrownies
                              Participant

Glad to hear your results (so far) are relatively positive. 🙂 I hope the path results are good news for you as well. 

My hubby had the same surgery about 3 weeks ago (4/1) and he got his drainage tube out after only 4 days. Everybody is different of course (and he doesn't have breast tissue to deal with…which I would think could complicate things). 

His incision site is still quite tender but is better now that the steri-strips have come off. I remember how scared you were in your first post, and I'm so very glad you seem to be in better spirits now that things are moving along. Just remember that we are here for you to keep you positive. : )

Michelle

carolegarry
                                Participant

Hi,

Sounds like your path report will be the best possible news. Keep your spirits up. I am keeping you in my thoughts as we are all in this together.

Carole

carolegarry
                                  Participant

Hi,

Sounds like your path report will be the best possible news. Keep your spirits up. I am keeping you in my thoughts as we are all in this together.

Carole

FormerCaregiver
                                    Participant

It must be a relief to have the surgery over. Now the wait for the pathology report – hope
                                      that they hurry up with it!

Wishing you Happy Easter! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

boot2aboot
                                        Participant

thank you Frank for good  thoughts

boot2aboot
                                          Participant

thank you Frank for good  thoughts

FormerCaregiver
                                          Participant

It must be a relief to have the surgery over. Now the wait for the pathology report – hope
                                            that they hurry up with it!

Wishing you Happy Easter! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

boot2aboot
                                            Participant

met with Onc surgeon to get tube removed (it didn't)…and got my path report (can't understand it too well) but here is the short-hand…stage 3c….40 right axilla lymphnodes removed, 7 cancerous….largest tumor size was 4.8cm…necrotic…although i like my ONC alot, i decided to get 2nd opinion before starting chemo/radiation/immunotherapy-not sure if it is door 1, door 2 or door 3 or some combo… i will go to cleveland clinic for second opinion….

today they were talking combo of radiation and leukine..

Carol Taylor
                                                Participant

Boot,

You've come a long way!  It seems like just yesterday that you introduced yourself in a huge state of alarm and panic and now you've calmed down, being rational, and talking about getting a second or third opinion before deciding on a plan of attack.  Others on here will help you make sense of your report; I just want to encourage you and say "you go girl!"

Praying you'll make wise decisions and that you'll overcome this disease!  All the best to you Friend!

Grace and peace,

Carol

boot2aboot
                                                  Participant

well, you clearly haven't witnessed me in person, otherwise, you would see one angry beeyatch…throwing things with one good arm…

Carol Taylor
                                                    Participant

Ha! You take that attitude everywhere you go and that @&$#()#% beast had better WATCH OUT!

Hang tough, but hang on to your valuables!  You are a hoot Boot!

Carol Taylor
                                                      Participant

Ha! You take that attitude everywhere you go and that @&$#()#% beast had better WATCH OUT!

Hang tough, but hang on to your valuables!  You are a hoot Boot!

boot2aboot
                                                        Participant

well, you clearly haven't witnessed me in person, otherwise, you would see one angry beeyatch…throwing things with one good arm…

Carol Taylor
                                                          Participant

Boot,

You've come a long way!  It seems like just yesterday that you introduced yourself in a huge state of alarm and panic and now you've calmed down, being rational, and talking about getting a second or third opinion before deciding on a plan of attack.  Others on here will help you make sense of your report; I just want to encourage you and say "you go girl!"

Praying you'll make wise decisions and that you'll overcome this disease!  All the best to you Friend!

Grace and peace,

Carol

boot2aboot
                                                          Participant

met with Onc surgeon to get tube removed (it didn't)…and got my path report (can't understand it too well) but here is the short-hand…stage 3c….40 right axilla lymphnodes removed, 7 cancerous….largest tumor size was 4.8cm…necrotic…although i like my ONC alot, i decided to get 2nd opinion before starting chemo/radiation/immunotherapy-not sure if it is door 1, door 2 or door 3 or some combo… i will go to cleveland clinic for second opinion….

today they were talking combo of radiation and leukine..

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics