The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Aspartame – Must Read

Forums General Melanoma Community Aspartame – Must Read

• Replies
      Colleen66
      Participant

Excellent info.  I gave up artificial sweeteners when I went gluten free some time ago..

Thanks Colleen 

Colleen66
        Participant

Excellent info.  I gave up artificial sweeteners when I went gluten free some time ago..

Thanks Colleen 

Colleen66
          Participant

Thanks Colleen 

Linny
            Participant

Excellent info. However, I never was a fan of artifical sweeteners in any way, shape, or form. Never was a sun worshiper, either. And, I stil ended up with melanoma. sad

But, staying away from aspartame certainly can't hurt. For myself, I know if I have even a half a can of diet soda I get a headache whereas if I have a regular soda it I don't get a headache. Something ain't right there. Other friends have had mystery symptoms disappear by eliminating artifical sweeteners from their diet. I don't give a crap that the scientific community claims it's safe. My immune system has enough in its hands with the melanoma and doesn't need aspartame on top of that to deal with.

If I want a diet beverage I drink water. laugh

Linny
              Participant

Excellent info. However, I never was a fan of artifical sweeteners in any way, shape, or form. Never was a sun worshiper, either. And, I stil ended up with melanoma. sad

But, staying away from aspartame certainly can't hurt. For myself, I know if I have even a half a can of diet soda I get a headache whereas if I have a regular soda it I don't get a headache. Something ain't right there. Other friends have had mystery symptoms disappear by eliminating artifical sweeteners from their diet. I don't give a crap that the scientific community claims it's safe. My immune system has enough in its hands with the melanoma and doesn't need aspartame on top of that to deal with.

Linny
                Participant

Janet Lee
                  Participant

Gene, thanks for posting this link and all the others that you do to help keep us well-informed and well-rounded.

Janet

Janet Lee
                    Participant

Gene, thanks for posting this link and all the others that you do to help keep us well-informed and well-rounded.

Janet

Janet Lee
                      Participant

Janet

JC
                        Participant

What is MRF's official stance on this?

JC
                          Participant

deardad
                              Participant

My dad never had aspartame in his diet and he never went out in the sun…..or so I thought! In the sun that is……I found out that he got regular bad burns from visiting a pool when he visited his grandparents each year up until I think the age 9 or 10. He was dropped off at the pool with his brother for the day in the hot Australian sun and came back badly burned.  Of course he is one example in millions of people, but the theory that sun and melanoma are not related seems way too extreme for me.  I wouldn't deny that the sun cannot be the only contributing factor…ie our immune system, family history and perhaps a continuous lack of vitamin D from the sun?

I read your posts regularly and I'm amazed how much research you do thats a great contribution to everyone who visits this site, but do you really believe that the sun and melanoma are not linked at all?  Thanks for the info.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                Participant

My dad never had aspartame in his diet and he never went out in the sun…..or so I thought! In the sun that is……I found out that he got regular bad burns from visiting a pool when he visited his grandparents each year up until I think the age 9 or 10. He was dropped off at the pool with his brother for the day in the hot Australian sun and came back badly burned.  Of course he is one example in millions of people, but the theory that sun and melanoma are not related seems way too extreme for me.  I wouldn't deny that the sun cannot be the only contributing factor…ie our immune system, family history and perhaps a continuous lack of vitamin D from the sun?

I read your posts regularly and I'm amazed how much research you do thats a great contribution to everyone who visits this site, but do you really believe that the sun and melanoma are not linked at all?  Thanks for the info.

Nahmi from Melbourne

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Hello Nahmi,

In answer to your question about the sun and melanoma not being linked,  I have not found any proof so far that the sun causes melanoma.  I have found proof that extreme exposure to the sun will cause the other to types of skin cancer.  In the USA our American Cancer Society states on its webpage that they really don't know what causes melanoma.  If one was to read about the location where melanoma is found on the patients a lot of them are in areas where the sun never shines.  I have several reliable sources that have stated that melanoma is not caused from sun exposure.  

There is a problem with sunburn, as it changes a persons DNA.  I am doing more research on this subject in regards to causing melanoma.  

Since you are in Ausstralia from what I have read you have a serious ozone problem that is blocking a lot of the UV rays from the sun.  I have read on line that your country has a very aggressive sun screen policy and I have to wonder if it is not the cause of melanoma as there is no required testing of any of the ingredients in sunscreen.  I would be very selective about any sunscreen and if I couldn't eat it I would not put it on my skin.  

I have an excellent video that I am going to be posting in general once the heat from the MD Anderson article cools down.  Since you have a problem with extreme ozone problems I would only go out in the sun around lunch time until my skin started to tingle or slightly turn pink (please do not get sunburned though) and I would avoid the sun the rest of the day or go out  very early morning or late in the day when the suns rays would make no difference.  As your skin gets more and more conditioned to the sun you will be able to stay out longer.  Also you do not need to be worried about Vitamin D overload as Mother Nature will not let you get a vitamin D overload from the sun.  

If possible go barefoot while you are sitting in the sun.  You can do this at the beach with your feet in the water or the wet sand or even at your own home by simply pouring some water on the ground where your feet are going to connect to the earth.  The idea of placing your feet on the ground is rapidly becoming more known as earthing or grounding and it has a lot to do with the particles in your cells.

Of course, this is not medical advice just my best wishes of what I believe is the sharing of some useful information.

Best Wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Hello Nahmi,

In answer to your question about the sun and melanoma not being linked,  I have not found any proof so far that the sun causes melanoma.  I have found proof that extreme exposure to the sun will cause the other to types of skin cancer.  In the USA our American Cancer Society states on its webpage that they really don't know what causes melanoma.  If one was to read about the location where melanoma is found on the patients a lot of them are in areas where the sun never shines.  I have several reliable sources that have stated that melanoma is not caused from sun exposure.  

There is a problem with sunburn, as it changes a persons DNA.  I am doing more research on this subject in regards to causing melanoma.  

Since you are in Ausstralia from what I have read you have a serious ozone problem that is blocking a lot of the UV rays from the sun.  I have read on line that your country has a very aggressive sun screen policy and I have to wonder if it is not the cause of melanoma as there is no required testing of any of the ingredients in sunscreen.  I would be very selective about any sunscreen and if I couldn't eat it I would not put it on my skin.  

I have an excellent video that I am going to be posting in general once the heat from the MD Anderson article cools down.  Since you have a problem with extreme ozone problems I would only go out in the sun around lunch time until my skin started to tingle or slightly turn pink (please do not get sunburned though) and I would avoid the sun the rest of the day or go out  very early morning or late in the day when the suns rays would make no difference.  As your skin gets more and more conditioned to the sun you will be able to stay out longer.  Also you do not need to be worried about Vitamin D overload as Mother Nature will not let you get a vitamin D overload from the sun.  

If possible go barefoot while you are sitting in the sun.  You can do this at the beach with your feet in the water or the wet sand or even at your own home by simply pouring some water on the ground where your feet are going to connect to the earth.  The idea of placing your feet on the ground is rapidly becoming more known as earthing or grounding and it has a lot to do with the particles in your cells.

Of course, this is not medical advice just my best wishes of what I believe is the sharing of some useful information.

Best Wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                      Participant

Hello Nahmi,

Best Wishes,

Gene

JC
                                        Participant

" If one was to read about the location where melanoma is found on the patients a lot of them are in areas where the sun never shines."

—that's because the damage done is systemic. . so it doesn't have to occur where the sun shines

JC
                                          Participant

" If one was to read about the location where melanoma is found on the patients a lot of them are in areas where the sun never shines."

—that's because the damage done is systemic. . so it doesn't have to occur where the sun shines

JC
                                            Participant

bcl
                                              Participant

And Dermatologists are noticing melanoma in areas where the artificial light of a tanning bed shines..

bcl
                                                Participant

And Dermatologists are noticing melanoma in areas where the artificial light of a tanning bed shines..

bcl
                                                  Participant

Charlie S
                                                    Participant

For clarification, how did you contract melanoma and how did you overcome it?

Specifically.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                      Participant

Specifically.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                        Participant

Specifically.

Charlie S

bcl
                                                          Participant

I allowed the skin around my mole to turn slightly pink in the sun  – and look where I am now (a melanoma board). 

Please use caution; best wishes are not proven science!

bcl
                                                            Participant

I allowed the skin around my mole to turn slightly pink in the sun  – and look where I am now (a melanoma board). 

bcl
                                                              Participant

deardad
                                                                Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

JC
                                                                Participant

JC
                                                                  Participant

what about the other non-sugar sweeteners. .other than aspartame?

JC
                                                                    Participant

Linny
                                                                        Participant

Saccharin and cyclamates were pulled off the market years ago because they caused cancer and other health problems. I'm not sure how much better sucralose is but it's still on the market.

But if you really prefer to use a sweetener other than sugar, try Stevia. It comes from a plant rather than a test tube.

Linny
                                                                          Participant

Saccharin and cyclamates were pulled off the market years ago because they caused cancer and other health problems. I'm not sure how much better sucralose is but it's still on the market.

But if you really prefer to use a sweetener other than sugar, try Stevia. It comes from a plant rather than a test tube.

Linny
                                                                            Participant

You're right. Saccharin is in Sweet & Low. I could have sworn it was pulled off the market. I did some research and found that in a study that was done in 1977 it was indicated that Saccharin caused cancer in laboratory rats. The FDA had tried to pull it off the market back then and failed. I do remember the FDA trying to pull it off the market. I just didn't realize they had failed in their attempt.. I still wouldn't use it, though. cool

Linny
                                                                              Participant

You're right. Saccharin is in Sweet & Low. I could have sworn it was pulled off the market. I did some research and found that in a study that was done in 1977 it was indicated that Saccharin caused cancer in laboratory rats. The FDA had tried to pull it off the market back then and failed. I do remember the FDA trying to pull it off the market. I just didn't realize they had failed in their attempt.. I still wouldn't use it, though. cool

Linny
                                                                                Participant

Linny
                                                                                  Participant

JC
                                                                                  Participant

JC
                                                                                    Participant

i thought saccharin still exists in Sweet 'N Low

JC
                                                                                      Participant

JC
                                                                                        Participant

Tim–MRF
                                                                                          Guest

Gene,

With all due respect, this report about Aspartame is just not based in fact.  Yes, Aspartame can break down in the gut to methanol and formaldehyde, but so does orange juice, grapefruit juice, tomato juice, and other food products.  Tomato juice, for example, produces several times more of these products than does Aspartame.  No peer-reviewed journal that I have seen shows any connection between Aspartame and the host of medical ills for which it is blamed.  It just isn't scientific.

Regarding UV exposure and melanoma, this is much better understood.  The link between UV exposure and basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma is very well known.  The link between melanoma and UV exposure has, in the past, been largely inferred.  Most cutaneous melanomas are in areas of sun exposure.  Clearly UV exposure is not the only factor, but epidemiology is fairly clear of some kind of link.

More recently, researchers have been able to tease out this link.  We now have an understanding of the connection between UV exposure and melanoma, as is demonstrated in laboratory models.  This is peer-reviewed and has been replicated in multiple labs.  No credible melanoma expert I have met denies this connection.  In fact, I spoke with two oustanding researchers recently who agreed that around 80% of melanomas in the US are related to UV exposure.

Clearly this is not the case for mucosal melanoma, acral melanoma, ocular melanoma, and even some cutaneous melanomas.  These linkages are part of a complex picture.  We all know the life-long cigarette smoker who lives to be 110 and dies in his sleep.  And we know people who have been diagnosed with lung cancer yet never smoked.  Despite these factors, does anyone really doubt the tie between smoking and lung cancer? 

The food we eat and the environment around us do have an impact on our bodies–that much is clear.  Moving from that to denying the tie between UV exposure and melanoma, or to claiming that Aspartame causes cancer is a long leap away from data and science.

Tim–MRF

Gene_S
                                                                                              Participant

Tim,

If one was to spend any time researching what causes Cancer almost always you will find that "sugar" and the "lack of oxygen" are the two most mentioned causes. Here are some numbers from the American Heart Association on sugar.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/03/sugary-drink-consumption.aspx?e_cid=20130403_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20130403

Also in researching cancer cures you will find that proper enzymes in the gut is needed to help cure cancer. Sugar both real and artificial destroy these needed enzymes.

In regards to the sun, why is it that melanoma rates are skyrocketing?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/20/deadly-melanoma-not-due-vitamin-d-deficiency.aspx

I have also read that the Australian government has a very large campaign to always wear sunscreen to fight off melanoma and guess what ? the rates of melanoma are going through the roof.  If I had to guess why, I believe that the people over there are slapping on sunscreen by the bucket loads , spending to much time in the sun, after all doesn't sunscreen make us safe?  And the final kicker would be drinking a sugary drink while sunbathing.  A great twosome an internal poison and an external poison. There will never be a cure for cancer in my opinion until some of the known cancer causes are addressed.

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                                                                Participant

Tim,

If one was to spend any time researching what causes Cancer almost always you will find that "sugar" and the "lack of oxygen" are the two most mentioned causes. Here are some numbers from the American Heart Association on sugar.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/03/sugary-drink-consumption.aspx?e_cid=20130403_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20130403

Also in researching cancer cures you will find that proper enzymes in the gut is needed to help cure cancer. Sugar both real and artificial destroy these needed enzymes.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/20/deadly-melanoma-not-due-vitamin-d-deficiency.aspx

I have also read that the Australian government has a very large campaign to always wear sunscreen to fight off melanoma and guess what ? the rates of melanoma are going through the roof.  If I had to guess why, I believe that the people over there are slapping on sunscreen by the bucket loads , spending to much time in the sun, after all doesn't sunscreen make us safe?  And the final kicker would be drinking a sugary drink while sunbathing.  A great twosome an internal poison and an external poison. There will never be a cure for cancer in my opinion until some of the known cancer causes are addressed.

Best wishes,

Gene

Bubbles
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    Really, Gene? Ipi, anti-PD1, braf, braf-mek, IL2, and TIL seem to be doing a pretty good job for some folks. Not nearly enough…but better than a no sugar diet while standing in wet dirt! Let’s get real here. I’ve never been a sun worshiper, I’ve never been one pound over weight, I’ve ALWAYS eaten mostly fruits and veggies and NEVER eaten processed foods or fake sugar…very little real sugar for that matter (Never mind that the human body turns EVERYTHING we eat…even if only termites and rutabagas…into sugar for use in our cells…that’s a whole nother story!) …and exercised almost everyday. Can YOU say that is the case for you? And guess what? I STILL developed Stage IV melanoma. And get this!! I still advocate that healthy life style for others….but am not deluded into thinking that it will prevent all cancers. Why don’t we work to promote real data, real facts and real support on a site where desperate folks look for real answers? Why don’t you try checking out the research being done at Dartmouth where they are trying to find the link between the development of vitiligo (I believe you have white whiskers at this point) and the absence of melanoma in mice as I am, since anti-PD1 has rendered large portions of my skin pigment free? There is so much you could do to help find a cure…help others gain the disease free years you have been lucky enough to experience. Yes…it would be fabulous to know why cells sometimes spiral into a nutty cancerous mutation…and someday I hope we will. However, it is already abundantly clear that a Coke by the beach while wearing sun screen didn’t do it. Let’s abandon delusions and quackery for real answers to real people who need them.
                                                                                                    Bubbles
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      Really, Gene? Ipi, anti-PD1, braf, braf-mek, IL2, and TIL seem to be doing a pretty good job for some folks. Not nearly enough…but better than a no sugar diet while standing in wet dirt! Let’s get real here. I’ve never been a sun worshiper, I’ve never been one pound over weight, I’ve ALWAYS eaten mostly fruits and veggies and NEVER eaten processed foods or fake sugar…very little real sugar for that matter (Never mind that the human body turns EVERYTHING we eat…even if only termites and rutabagas…into sugar for use in our cells…that’s a whole nother story!) …and exercised almost everyday. Can YOU say that is the case for you? And guess what? I STILL developed Stage IV melanoma. And get this!! I still advocate that healthy life style for others….but am not deluded into thinking that it will prevent all cancers. Why don’t we work to promote real data, real facts and real support on a site where desperate folks look for real answers? Why don’t you try checking out the research being done at Dartmouth where they are trying to find the link between the development of vitiligo (I believe you have white whiskers at this point) and the absence of melanoma in mice as I am, since anti-PD1 has rendered large portions of my skin pigment free? There is so much you could do to help find a cure…help others gain the disease free years you have been lucky enough to experience. Yes…it would be fabulous to know why cells sometimes spiral into a nutty cancerous mutation…and someday I hope we will. However, it is already abundantly clear that a Coke by the beach while wearing sun screen didn’t do it. Let’s abandon delusions and quackery for real answers to real people who need them.
                                                                                                      Bubbles
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        Gene_S
                                                                                                        Participant

A lot of new research in the causes of cancer and they are finding that stress is way up the ladder.  The stress can be conscious to the mind or unconscious.  

Some things for you to consider:  Are you getting enough good sleep? Do you watch TV in your bedroom? Is your room completely dark with no cell phones or other electronics present?  Do you drink plenty of good water?  Are you located by a cell tower or high voltage lines?  How about do you work in an office with florescent lighting?  When was the last time you stepped outside barefooted?  (Anyone interested in this do a search on grounding or earthing).  Yes there are a lot of things we can do but for the most part the people that are  getting their treatment will continue the life style they had previously.  A little change may help you become NED sooner or possibly stay NED longer.

These are some things to consider since it might help YOU.

Thanks,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                                                                          Participant

A lot of new research in the causes of cancer and they are finding that stress is way up the ladder.  The stress can be conscious to the mind or unconscious.  

Some things for you to consider:  Are you getting enough good sleep? Do you watch TV in your bedroom? Is your room completely dark with no cell phones or other electronics present?  Do you drink plenty of good water?  Are you located by a cell tower or high voltage lines?  How about do you work in an office with florescent lighting?  When was the last time you stepped outside barefooted?  (Anyone interested in this do a search on grounding or earthing).  Yes there are a lot of things we can do but for the most part the people that are  getting their treatment will continue the life style they had previously.  A little change may help you become NED sooner or possibly stay NED longer.

Thanks,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                                                                            Participant

Thanks,

Gene

Charlie S
                                                                                                              Participant

You say in "researching cancer cures" in one sentence then in another say there will "never be a cure"? Which is it?

And will you please plainly state that the reason you are enjoying what  seems to be a "durable remission" is IPI ?

That admission would be far more helpful, factual and hopeful to many rather than going on and on with psuedo science, speculation.  

You have a remission due to IPI, not this other tripe.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                                                                Participant

You say in "researching cancer cures" in one sentence then in another say there will "never be a cure"? Which is it?

And will you please plainly state that the reason you are enjoying what  seems to be a "durable remission" is IPI ?

That admission would be far more helpful, factual and hopeful to many rather than going on and on with psuedo science, speculation.  

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                                                                  Participant

Charlie S

Gene_S
                                                                                                                    Participant

Charlie,

One is never "cured" of cancer, the best that you can hope for is remission. Yes, I have had a good remission for a short while now and I am thankful for that. I also have raised my vitamin D-3 level to be in the highest range.  I assume that people are reading postings on this board to learn of what has helped other people in their battle. In my case, I believe it is having high levels of Vitamin D3 (why I urge everyone to get tested), taking selenium supplements and also CoQ10 (ubiquinol) (I posted a known study of this awhile back) as well as the ipi. I also try to follow the diet in the book "The Maker's Diet",  I threw out the microwave and changed other parts of my life. So it would not be correct to just say that the ipi alone did the trick. I had to help it along.

.

Gene_S
                                                                                                                      Participant

Charlie,

One is never "cured" of cancer, the best that you can hope for is remission. Yes, I have had a good remission for a short while now and I am thankful for that. I also have raised my vitamin D-3 level to be in the highest range.  I assume that people are reading postings on this board to learn of what has helped other people in their battle. In my case, I believe it is having high levels of Vitamin D3 (why I urge everyone to get tested), taking selenium supplements and also CoQ10 (ubiquinol) (I posted a known study of this awhile back) as well as the ipi. I also try to follow the diet in the book "The Maker's Diet",  I threw out the microwave and changed other parts of my life. So it would not be correct to just say that the ipi alone did the trick. I had to help it along.

.

Gene_S
                                                                                                                        Participant

Charlie,

.

Janner
                                                                                                                          Participant

How do you know that anything else besides the IPI helped?  Did you do the IPI without all the stuff (eating and behaving as most do) and then change your diet to clean?  You're a scientific experiment of ONE with no control.  You can't say the Vitamin D3, selenium or anything else did anything.  You can say you are in remission and Yervoy (which has proven science behind it for stopping melanoma) is the reason.  The rest is just fluff because you can't prove any of it.   It's no different from saying Yervoy and prayer cured you.  And without the prayer, you wouldn't have been NED.  I'm not knocking prayer or Vit D3 or any supplements – they are SUPPLEMENTS to treatment but there is no proof that they are a treatment.  There is proof that Yervoy is a treatment and you are enjoying the effects of that drug.

I'm all for doing what makes a person feel in control with a disease where we're not in control.  If you want to pray, supplement, eat vegan or sugar free or practice yoga (whatever) – go for it.  But don't say the supplements are the reason you are NED when they aren't proven and Yervoy is.

One of my favorite stage IV ladies, Glenda, was on this site for a long time.  Stage IV for over 10 years – long before these new treatments came along.  She basically said that if she were to die tomorrow, it wasn't going to be eating wheat grass (paraphasing).  Life was too short not to enjoy whatever she wanted.  She was a study of ONE, just like you.  Her treatments and her diet (or lack thereof) gave her 10 years in a time where stage IV life expectency was 6 months.

This is a personal fight for everyone.  My 88 year old stage IV father decided he didn't want to eat certain packaged foods recently – it might be bad for him.  He's lived to 88 with 4 types of cancer and he's worried about this NOW?   It's not even worth an argument to say that eating anything he wants probably isn't going to change his outcome.  Stage IV melanoma doing no treatments doesn't have great numbers to begin with. 

Personally, I don't have a problem with all your postings of research (or pseudo science) as long as you don't imply that these are a cure and everyone should be doing them.  We all have to fight the battle the best way we can.  Putting info out there is great, but implying it might do more just because YOU think it does – that's when you raise my hackles.  The first thing I look for in any article is who wrote it, what journal it was in, and how large was the sample size.  THEN I might actually read it if I feel it is worthy.  I don't want to waste my time and effort on things without good hard numbers behind it.   Too many times we've heard tell of this or that drug/compound that kills melanoma in a petrie dish only to find out it does nothing in the human body. 

Wishing everyone the best in their own personal fight with melanoma no matter what treatments, supplements or lifestyle they choose.  We all have to do it our own way.

Janner

Gene_S
                                                                                                                            Participant

RE: You're a scientific experiment of ONE with no control. 

————————————————————–

Coenzyme Q10 levels Predict Melanoma Metastasis

Given the vital role of the immune system in keeping patients cancer-free after treatment of all kinds of tumors, researchers in Rome studied immune-boosting treatments for patients with one of the most deadly and treatment-resistant cancers, malignant melanoma

Please note that there is a difference in CoQ10 products.

The best one should have "Ubiquinol" on the label not "Ubiquinone".

———————————————————————

Selenium and Cancer

A 2011 study in "The Science of the Total Environment" found that patients with skin cancer had lower levels of selenium than those without skin cancer, which is consistent with other studies linking a lower level of this mineral with cancer.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/493579-selenium-skin-cancer/#ixzz2PbpDbhTX

Gene_S
                                                                                                                              Participant

————————————————————–

Given the vital role of the immune system in keeping patients cancer-free after treatment of all kinds of tumors, researchers in Rome studied immune-boosting treatments for patients with one of the most deadly and treatment-resistant cancers, malignant melanoma

———————————————————————

Selenium and Cancer

A 2011 study in "The Science of the Total Environment" found that patients with skin cancer had lower levels of selenium than those without skin cancer, which is consistent with other studies linking a lower level of this mineral with cancer.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/493579-selenium-skin-cancer/#ixzz2PbpDbhTX

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                Participant

————————————————————–

———————————————————————

Selenium and Cancer

Janner
                                                                                                                                  Participant

How do you know that anything else besides the IPI helped?  Did you do the IPI without all the stuff (eating and behaving as most do) and then change your diet to clean?  You're a scientific experiment of ONE with no control.  You can't say the Vitamin D3, selenium or anything else did anything.  You can say you are in remission and Yervoy (which has proven science behind it for stopping melanoma) is the reason.  The rest is just fluff because you can't prove any of it.   It's no different from saying Yervoy and prayer cured you.  And without the prayer, you wouldn't have been NED.  I'm not knocking prayer or Vit D3 or any supplements – they are SUPPLEMENTS to treatment but there is no proof that they are a treatment.  There is proof that Yervoy is a treatment and you are enjoying the effects of that drug.

I'm all for doing what makes a person feel in control with a disease where we're not in control.  If you want to pray, supplement, eat vegan or sugar free or practice yoga (whatever) – go for it.  But don't say the supplements are the reason you are NED when they aren't proven and Yervoy is.

One of my favorite stage IV ladies, Glenda, was on this site for a long time.  Stage IV for over 10 years – long before these new treatments came along.  She basically said that if she were to die tomorrow, it wasn't going to be eating wheat grass (paraphasing).  Life was too short not to enjoy whatever she wanted.  She was a study of ONE, just like you.  Her treatments and her diet (or lack thereof) gave her 10 years in a time where stage IV life expectency was 6 months.

This is a personal fight for everyone.  My 88 year old stage IV father decided he didn't want to eat certain packaged foods recently – it might be bad for him.  He's lived to 88 with 4 types of cancer and he's worried about this NOW?   It's not even worth an argument to say that eating anything he wants probably isn't going to change his outcome.  Stage IV melanoma doing no treatments doesn't have great numbers to begin with. 

Personally, I don't have a problem with all your postings of research (or pseudo science) as long as you don't imply that these are a cure and everyone should be doing them.  We all have to fight the battle the best way we can.  Putting info out there is great, but implying it might do more just because YOU think it does – that's when you raise my hackles.  The first thing I look for in any article is who wrote it, what journal it was in, and how large was the sample size.  THEN I might actually read it if I feel it is worthy.  I don't want to waste my time and effort on things without good hard numbers behind it.   Too many times we've heard tell of this or that drug/compound that kills melanoma in a petrie dish only to find out it does nothing in the human body. 

Wishing everyone the best in their own personal fight with melanoma no matter what treatments, supplements or lifestyle they choose.  We all have to do it our own way.

Janner

Janner
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Janner

bcl
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Odd… when you said " Here are some numbers from the American Heart Association on sugar"

you linked Mercola's interpretation of the numbers, not something 'from the American Heart Association'.  

Please give accurate citations.

bcl
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Odd… when you said " Here are some numbers from the American Heart Association on sugar"

you linked Mercola's interpretation of the numbers, not something 'from the American Heart Association'.  

bcl
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Really!   Do you think that Dr. Mercola would ruin his reputation publishing false info in one of his articles?

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Really!   Do you think that Dr. Mercola would ruin his reputation publishing false info in one of his articles?

bcl
                                                                                                                                                Participant

You misunderstand.

Try it this way….. would you (or Mercola) appreciate it if I indicated I was providing to link to his 'numbers' (or theories)  and instead linked the American Heart  Association's interpretation?

Some how I think not 

bcl
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

You misunderstand.

Try it this way….. would you (or Mercola) appreciate it if I indicated I was providing to link to his 'numbers' (or theories)  and instead linked the American Heart  Association's interpretation?

Some how I think not 

bcl
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

edit:      providing a link to his 'numbers' (or theories)..

bcl
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

bcl
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

bcl
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

You misunderstand.

Some how I think not 

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Tim,

Best wishes,

Gene

Tim–MRF
                                                                                                                                                              Guest

Gene,

With all due respect, this report about Aspartame is just not based in fact.  Yes, Aspartame can break down in the gut to methanol and formaldehyde, but so does orange juice, grapefruit juice, tomato juice, and other food products.  Tomato juice, for example, produces several times more of these products than does Aspartame.  No peer-reviewed journal that I have seen shows any connection between Aspartame and the host of medical ills for which it is blamed.  It just isn't scientific.

Regarding UV exposure and melanoma, this is much better understood.  The link between UV exposure and basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma is very well known.  The link between melanoma and UV exposure has, in the past, been largely inferred.  Most cutaneous melanomas are in areas of sun exposure.  Clearly UV exposure is not the only factor, but epidemiology is fairly clear of some kind of link.

More recently, researchers have been able to tease out this link.  We now have an understanding of the connection between UV exposure and melanoma, as is demonstrated in laboratory models.  This is peer-reviewed and has been replicated in multiple labs.  No credible melanoma expert I have met denies this connection.  In fact, I spoke with two oustanding researchers recently who agreed that around 80% of melanomas in the US are related to UV exposure.

Clearly this is not the case for mucosal melanoma, acral melanoma, ocular melanoma, and even some cutaneous melanomas.  These linkages are part of a complex picture.  We all know the life-long cigarette smoker who lives to be 110 and dies in his sleep.  And we know people who have been diagnosed with lung cancer yet never smoked.  Despite these factors, does anyone really doubt the tie between smoking and lung cancer? 

The food we eat and the environment around us do have an impact on our bodies–that much is clear.  Moving from that to denying the tie between UV exposure and melanoma, or to claiming that Aspartame causes cancer is a long leap away from data and science.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF
                                                                                                                                                                Guest

Gene,

Tim–MRF

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics