The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ADMIN — you need to do a better job of policing this board!

Forums General Melanoma Community ADMIN — you need to do a better job of policing this board!

Participant

Either check this board more often, or re-enable the Report Post feature. 14+ pages ot spam messages is inexcusable!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        doragsda
        Participant

Give the admins a break!   The spammer posted all this at 5AM on a Saturday morning.   You need to blame the spammer, not the admins.   I'm sure they have other things to do than monitor this board all the time (like sleep).   They'll clean it up, they do an admirable job of keeping it spam free, but when one gets loose, they can post a lot of junk in a few minutes.

Linny
            Participant

Well, it's noon, the earlier messages have not been removed and the spammer is posting more crap. The Report message function needs to be re-enabled so the Admin can be notified. As of this moment there's so much crap on the board, it's not even usable. 

RichInLife2
            Participant

I don’t know if there’s much more they can do and still make it easy for real people to post here. These spammers create an account, usually in the wee hours, post a bunch of crap, and then come back the next  day with a new account and more crap. I think the admins do a pretty good job considering. 

MelanomaMike
                Participant
                  Yep!
                  bjeans
                  Participant

I used to be a volunteer moderator on a very active, large car (!) forum, largely members in the U.S. but also many other countries. There were entire swaths in a couple of countries that were banned by the techs to stop spam by using IP addresses. They were careful how they did it – but this type of overwhelming spam didn’t originate from an area where there would be potential members. Moderators deleted occasional spam or troll posts since members could tap a report button and all moderators would get the report (and we loosely stayed in touch about who would be around when to jump in for a quick minute if needed), but the recurring huge spammers were dealt with by the techs. 

Spam is nonexistent on two non-medical boards I visit. It doesn’t have to be like this. Whether there are sufficient resources or whether Foundation execs think the forum is important enough may be questions, I guess? But there used to be report buttons. You can still contact the Foundation through “About Us” at the upper right – just takes a few steps.

Just my take – YMMV. 

MelanomaMike
                  Participant
                    I hear ya Anonymouse, dont quite know “which” anonymous you are, there are quite a few here but, our MRF Administration “Adam” specifically, does his best to search out spammers & scammers, theres alot to this site to maintain so, do your part as i do & report to MRF as YOU catch them! Give username & title of the said Post and that will make it easier for them to find it…
                      bjeans
                      Participant

There were 15 pages in a row today; real posts didn’t start until page 15 or 16, so the admins could easily find them in this case! But agree, usually date/title/name helps. I got back an auto-message that they’d be closed Friday through Monday but apparently someone got word and jumped in to remove them. 

stars
                      Participant

I'll second you OP, because the board is so often hacked with spam, and that raises questions about the safety of our personal info (profiles etc). Such a low thing to do, hack a forum for people battling disease.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics