The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A happier update to share

Forums General Melanoma Community A happier update to share

Participant

By the grace of God, Roche has given Don approval to join the expanded access vemurafenib trial based on his earlier positive BRAF result. (The test conducted by Roche on the tissue sample we provided came back negative, even though it was from the same sample that had tested postive on GSK's test in May).

He started the medication today and it was none too soon; he has had increasing back pain in the last week that we are still in the process of controlling.

By the grace of God, Roche has given Don approval to join the expanded access vemurafenib trial based on his earlier positive BRAF result. (The test conducted by Roche on the tissue sample we provided came back negative, even though it was from the same sample that had tested postive on GSK's test in May).

He started the medication today and it was none too soon; he has had increasing back pain in the last week that we are still in the process of controlling.

We still do not know the outcome of what will happen when he is transitioned off the trial once the drug becomes commercially available, but for now, we are happy to have access to the drug at all.

Thank you, everyone, who has kept us in their thoughts and prayers; I cannot tell you how much that has meant to us!

Michelle, wife of Don

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        TracyLee
        Participant

Michelle,

Hooray! I had a VERY quick BRAF response (within 2 days) Prayerfully, so will Don.

I was literally drowning in lung fluid, getting drained every 4 days. I could feel it start to work, because I wasn't getting so short of breath after several days past a lung drain.

Prayers for a rapid response and no pain for Don!

TracyLee

Lisa13
            Participant

I'm so very happy that Don has been accepted into the trial. I hope and pray for all the very best in his treatment.

TraceyLee – your story is truly a miracle.  Whether it's the result of the ipi, BRAF or both – you have a new found hope to believe that this melanoma will be gone!

Best wishes!

Lisa – Stage 4

Lisa13
              Participant

I'm so very happy that Don has been accepted into the trial. I hope and pray for all the very best in his treatment.

TraceyLee – your story is truly a miracle.  Whether it's the result of the ipi, BRAF or both – you have a new found hope to believe that this melanoma will be gone!

Best wishes!

Lisa – Stage 4

TracyLee
              Participant

Michelle,

Hooray! I had a VERY quick BRAF response (within 2 days) Prayerfully, so will Don.

I was literally drowning in lung fluid, getting drained every 4 days. I could feel it start to work, because I wasn't getting so short of breath after several days past a lung drain.

Prayers for a rapid response and no pain for Don!

TracyLee

Phil S
                Participant
                  Michelle So happy that Don was able to get this drug. Hoping and praying for good results. Keep us posted. Valerie (phil’s wife)
                  Phil S
                  Participant
                    Michelle So happy that Don was able to get this drug. Hoping and praying for good results. Keep us posted. Valerie (phil’s wife)
                    glewis923
                    Participant

Best of luck ya'll !   I start next week at Emory-Winship in Hotlanta. under Dr. Lawson.  I had ALSO been previously Positive but had to do the redundancy thing-  held me up a least a week…..long story, but very greatful and Hopeful for ALL of us that we are finally getting something / somewhere.  Just hope my brain "matters" will also clear up.

Love ,  Grady & Family.

glewis923
                      Participant

Best of luck ya'll !   I start next week at Emory-Winship in Hotlanta. under Dr. Lawson.  I had ALSO been previously Positive but had to do the redundancy thing-  held me up a least a week…..long story, but very greatful and Hopeful for ALL of us that we are finally getting something / somewhere.  Just hope my brain "matters" will also clear up.

Love ,  Grady & Family.

JuleFL
                        Participant
                          Wonderful news! Hoping for great positive results.

Jule

JuleFL
                          Participant
                            Wonderful news! Hoping for great positive results.

Jule

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

Interestiing. Very glad to see the acceptance of the GSK BRAF test.  Does the GSK BRAF test results specify which BRAF mutation his tumor was positive for?

Praying for great results. (uickly)!

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

Interestiing. Very glad to see the acceptance of the GSK BRAF test.  Does the GSK BRAF test results specify which BRAF mutation his tumor was positive for?

Praying for great results. (uickly)!

boot2aboot
                                Participant

well Michelle, you and Don deserve good news and complete response with minimal side effects and greater quality of life…HO!

i am still waiting for my pills…should be sometime next week or following

boots

boot2aboot
                                  Participant

well Michelle, you and Don deserve good news and complete response with minimal side effects and greater quality of life…HO!

boots

boot2aboot
                                    Participant

boots

boot2aboot
                                      Participant

boots

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics