The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

11 years- Still Hangin

Forums General Melanoma Community 11 years- Still Hangin

Participant
      Hi everyone! I just like to update here and there. I was diagnosed 11 years ago with stage III nodular melanoma. I had a positive node in my groin, had lymph node dissection followed with 4 four months of biochemo. Darkest days of my life, but I’m here and so grateful. During that time I
      became MPIP obsessed. I made and lost wonderful friends. Don’t lose hope, keep fighting! God bless all of you.

Hi everyone! I just like to update here and there. I was diagnosed 11 years ago with stage III nodular melanoma. I had a positive node in my groin, had lymph node dissection followed with 4 four months of biochemo. Darkest days of my life, but I’m here and so grateful. During that time I
      became MPIP obsessed. I made and lost wonderful friends. Don’t lose hope, keep fighting! God bless all of you.

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        ValinMtl
        Participant

Thanks Adrienne for update.  Love hearing about stories such as yours. Val Stage IV

Nicky
            Participant

Hi Adriene

That is awesome news.

I remember you because you were diagnosed the same time as me.   I am in my 11th year of surviving Stage III to with melanoma to 1 node in the groin area also.

Thank you for posting especially for the newbies.  Keep fighting.

Nicky
              Participant

Hi Adriene

That is awesome news.

I remember you because you were diagnosed the same time as me.   I am in my 11th year of surviving Stage III to with melanoma to 1 node in the groin area also.

Nicky
                Participant

Hi Adriene

That is awesome news.

Nicky
                  Participant

Hi Adriene

That is awesome news.

ValinMtl
                  Participant

Thanks Adrienne for update.  Love hearing about stories such as yours. Val Stage IV

dian in spokane
                    Participant

Hey Adrienne!

Good to see you again, and great to see such fantastic news.

11 yrs is great! may you have another 77

dian

dian in spokane
                      Participant

Hey Adrienne!

Good to see you again, and great to see such fantastic news.

11 yrs is great! may you have another 77

dian

Bill G
                        Participant

Good to hear you are still hangin in at 11 years.  I recall when you were active on MPIP  (I'm pushing for 14 years NED this Sept. )

Bill G
                          Participant

Good to hear you are still hangin in at 11 years.  I recall when you were active on MPIP  (I'm pushing for 14 years NED this Sept. )

Bonny in Maine
                            Participant

Your survival is very encouraging!  I was diagnosed with stage III nodular melanoma this year.  Surgery removed the tumor and most of the nearby parotid gland because cancer cells were found in the sentinel lymph node.  I will start interferon-alpha treatments on Monday.  

Adriene
                                Participant
                                  Awesome Bill!!! Hi Dian! It makes me feel so good to see you guys still posting on here!
                                  Bonny, good luck on Monday. I remember when I was first diagnosed. I hung on to the survival stories. Feel free to email me if you want to talk. [email protected]
                                  My ‘old timer’ friends, feel free to add me on facebook!
                                  Adriene
                                  Participant
                                    Awesome Bill!!! Hi Dian! It makes me feel so good to see you guys still posting on here!
                                    Bonny, good luck on Monday. I remember when I was first diagnosed. I hung on to the survival stories. Feel free to email me if you want to talk. [email protected]
                                    My ‘old timer’ friends, feel free to add me on facebook!
                                  Bonny in Maine
                                  Participant

Your survival is very encouraging!  I was diagnosed with stage III nodular melanoma this year.  Surgery removed the tumor and most of the nearby parotid gland because cancer cells were found in the sentinel lymph node.  I will start interferon-alpha treatments on Monday.  

Lisa13
                                    Participant

Adriene, I'm so happy for you – you give many of us hope πŸ™‚  I too was diagnosed with nodular melanoma this year 22MM deep and ulcerated!  Only 1 lymph node was positive (lymph node dissection) and I even had a less than 1 mitotic rate.  Hearing your story gives me hope as nodular melanoma seems to be the most cruel of them all.  May I ask if you're nodular melanoma was thick?

I wish you many more wonderful years disease free.

Lisa – Stage 3

Adriene
                                        Participant
                                          Lisa, mine was 4mm deep and ulcerated. Like you, I had the one positive node. The whole thing was a horrific nightmare, but there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel! What treatment are you doing?
                                          Lisa13
                                          Participant

Hi Adriene,

After alot of thought, I have decided NOT to to Interferon, but I'm looking into clinical trials for IPI for adjuvent therapy. I still have the drain in my leg from my lymph node dissection a month ago, so I can't do any treatment until it comes out.  Both my oncologist and another person from high up in the chain of the oncology department both suggested not doing Interferon (but it was still my choice). They said the success rate was very low and it wasn't worth putting my body through hell for a year.  They think IPI has a much better success rate.  

I'm also doing alot of holistic stuff – vitamins, supplements, etc to help make my body as hostile for cancer as I can. When you're Stage 3, you're willing to do anything to keep this from coming back for as long as possible. πŸ™‚

I'm so happy for you – you give me hope even though my melanoma is 5 times bigger than yours.

Lisa

Adriene
                                            Participant
                                              Lisa, I also decided against interferon. Instead, I went for the bio-chemo hoping to knock it all out. It either did the trick or I just got lucky. I spent countless hours reseaching all my options before I made a decision. I’m sorry to say I’ve been out of the loop for several years and am not familiar with IPI. Keep up with the good attitude! I could be wrong, but I think we are on similar playing fields even though my mm was not as deep. It still got to one of my nodes.
                                              Adriene
                                              Participant
                                                Lisa, I also decided against interferon. Instead, I went for the bio-chemo hoping to knock it all out. It either did the trick or I just got lucky. I spent countless hours reseaching all my options before I made a decision. I’m sorry to say I’ve been out of the loop for several years and am not familiar with IPI. Keep up with the good attitude! I could be wrong, but I think we are on similar playing fields even though my mm was not as deep. It still got to one of my nodes.
                                                Adriene
                                                Participant
                                                  Adriene
                                                  Participant
                                                    Lisa13
                                                    Participant

Hi Adriene,

After alot of thought, I have decided NOT to to Interferon, but I'm looking into clinical trials for IPI for adjuvent therapy. I still have the drain in my leg from my lymph node dissection a month ago, so I can't do any treatment until it comes out.  Both my oncologist and another person from high up in the chain of the oncology department both suggested not doing Interferon (but it was still my choice). They said the success rate was very low and it wasn't worth putting my body through hell for a year.  They think IPI has a much better success rate.  

I'm also doing alot of holistic stuff – vitamins, supplements, etc to help make my body as hostile for cancer as I can. When you're Stage 3, you're willing to do anything to keep this from coming back for as long as possible. πŸ™‚

I'm so happy for you – you give me hope even though my melanoma is 5 times bigger than yours.

Lisa

Adriene
                                                      Participant
                                                        Lisa, mine was 4mm deep and ulcerated. Like you, I had the one positive node. The whole thing was a horrific nightmare, but there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel! What treatment are you doing?
                                                      Lisa13
                                                      Participant

Adriene, I'm so happy for you – you give many of us hope πŸ™‚  I too was diagnosed with nodular melanoma this year 22MM deep and ulcerated!  Only 1 lymph node was positive (lymph node dissection) and I even had a less than 1 mitotic rate.  Hearing your story gives me hope as nodular melanoma seems to be the most cruel of them all.  May I ask if you're nodular melanoma was thick?

I wish you many more wonderful years disease free.

Lisa – Stage 3

DonW
                                                        Participant

Seems I remember you from somewhere too! Nice to hear you are doing well — you really beat the odds.

Adriene
                                                            Participant
                                                              Don, I was thinking about you the other day, which is what actually prompted me to post an update. And whatever! I remember relentlessly grilling you in the chatroom whether you personally thought I would be okay, and you always, always said yes. And for some reason, I always believed it from you. πŸ™‚

Adriene
                                                              Participant
                                                                Don, I was thinking about you the other day, which is what actually prompted me to post an update. And whatever! I remember relentlessly grilling you in the chatroom whether you personally thought I would be okay, and you always, always said yes. And for some reason, I always believed it from you. πŸ™‚

DonW
                                                              Participant

Seems I remember you from somewhere too! Nice to hear you are doing well — you really beat the odds.

Charlie S
                                                                Participant

Hey, Adriene, good to see you are still hanging.  In MPIP Parlance, you are now an old timer !  wink  People need to know Melanoma is not always a death sentence.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Adriene
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Hey Charlie, you ol’ rascal! Nope, melanoma is NOT always a death sentence. Aww man, did you really have to pull that old pic out? I’m all grown up now and my hair is all the same color. πŸ˜‰
                                                                      Adriene
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Hey Charlie, you ol’ rascal! Nope, melanoma is NOT always a death sentence. Aww man, did you really have to pull that old pic out? I’m all grown up now and my hair is all the same color. πŸ˜‰
                                                                      Charlie S
                                                                      Participant

Hey, Adriene, good to see you are still hanging.  In MPIP Parlance, you are now an old timer !  wink  People need to know Melanoma is not always a death sentence.

Cheers,

Charlie S

MariaH
                                                                        Participant

Thank you so much for posting. My hubby is almost at his 2 1/2 year NED mark, although a fellow warrrior friend (same stage as hubby) just went to stage IV.  Since staying positive is a must, your post is much appreciated!!  Cheers to many more years NED!

MariaH
                                                                          Participant

Thank you so much for posting. My hubby is almost at his 2 1/2 year NED mark, although a fellow warrrior friend (same stage as hubby) just went to stage IV.  Since staying positive is a must, your post is much appreciated!!  Cheers to many more years NED!

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics